• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

CuteFish's COMPETITVE Weapon Tier List: Based on Tournaments

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Hey guys here's another tier list sure to spark controversy! This list is based exclusively off what we've seen from what we consider are the best teams in the NA region, and primarily off what those teams used in tournaments. That means what you see here isn't necessarily reflective of whats good in matchmaking. This list doesn't consider Turf War at all. The only "top" team this list isn't taking heavy consideration into is Imperious 2, only because I've never played with/against them anywhere. If anyone wants to fill me in to what they use that'd be cool~!

For refrence, the teams used for the most consideration were Squid Squad Spades, The Squid Box, Guardian Gaming, and Meme Containment Unit. Many players from these teams (except SS-S talk to me baby~) were also questioned on their opinions and the data was cross referenced. I'd like to know what IM2 uses to better this list. pls no flamerino

Imgur link for lurkers

Attachments

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Edit: got weapons mixed up.

It's interesting to see how every "S rank" weapon, barring the tentatek, has great range.

AGES

Full Squid
NNID
Snicks
Dual Squelcher S? Yeah its good but I wouldn't say anything over the likes of the top snipers, tentatek, and forge pro. E liter is generally the echolocator for many teams and splat bombs aren't quite flashy enough for this weapon to be top tier.(splatterscope gets away with it because bomb rush) Still a fantastic weapon but I don't think it really fits S, probably better at the top of A

Would also move .52 up to S, ink wall is broken, close range TTK is the fastest in the game for a gun not counting burst bomb kills, plus if you have 2 on the same team setting off two wails at once is very dangerous if you can coordinate it right

Thank you for realizing the standard splattershot is really good though :cool:
Where's Splat Charger?
Goes along with its scope variant, same with e liter

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
I might just be going blind, but i dont see the regular splat roller or the regular nozzlenoze on the list.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
This is actually pretty spot-on. I can't disagree with anything on here.

How would you describe your tiers?

For example, /r/smashbros uses the format of:

(S) - Best For Tournament Play
(A) - Solo Tournament Viable
(B) - Tournament Viable With Secondaries
(C) - Niche Use
(D) - Not Tournament Viable
(F) - Never Use

In Smash 4, specifically, the lowest a character gets is to about C-.

Because Splatoon is not Smash Bros, we shouldn't use the same classifications, but it'd be good at least some form. For your particular list, I'd suggest:

(S) - Dominates in all modes
(A) - Works well in all modes
(B) - May flounder in certain modes
(C) - Isn't viable for any modes

But, it's your tier list, I'm not exactly a pro, and I'm just guessing based on my opinions of the balance of Splatoon.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
This is probably the most respectable Tier List Thread I've seen so far, so I'm going to go ahead and post my tier list here:

*MY TIER LIST*

I''m updating it now so bear with me.

Ours are roughly similar, although I personally feel that the Forge Pro and Dual Squelch belong in A and not S, and I believe the Dynamo is good despite the best teams not maining it at the moment. I also gave everything a Slaying tier and a Support tier, independent of actual tier placement, to give a better illustration of why weapons are where they are. I also consider S and A virtually the same tier as far as effectiveness, with the things in S being what influences weapon choices moreso than A and below.

There are also a few weapons I don't consider S tier, despite good players using them. Paradise uses Jet Squelcher and wins, but that's a case of the player being good and not the weapon IMO. We'll see over time though.

Also @CutestFish - is anyone using the Splattershot at a high level besides me? I've only noticed one other Splattershot in a top 8 and it wasn't running a damage/bomb range build like I do, and I think that's the optimal loadout for the Splattershot. I perfectly agree with its tier placement in A, I'm just wondering why you think it belongs in A, because I don't think anyone else plays the weapon like I do at the moment.

Last edited:

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
There are also a few weapons I don't consider S tier, despite good players using them. Paradise uses Jet Squelcher and wins, but that's a case of the player being good and not the weapon IMO. We'll see over time though.

Also @CutestFish - is anyone using the Splattershot at a high level besides me? I've only noticed one other Splattershot in a top 8 and it wasn't running a damage/bomb range build like I do, and I think that's the optimal loadout for the Splattershot. I perfectly agree with its tier placement in A, I'm just wondering why you think it belongs in A, because I don't think anyone else plays the weapon like I do at the moment.
Paradise definitely isn't the only one.

I see splattershot occasionally, but nobody I can name is consistently pulling it out. Burst bomb rush is pretty legit.

edit; oops double posted ;-;

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
Forgot to mention that unscoped variants are objectively worse in the vast majority of situations so just consider anything unscoped in the C rank.
All of my mains in the C tier? Oh god what did I do to deserve this.

EDIT: Wait they're objectively better? That's a discussion I missed. If I played scope I would play very differently. They're very much different weapons.

Last edited:

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I personally consider the scoped and unscoped versions of Chargers variations of a Charger's loadout as opposed to separate weapons. It's no different than selecting different gear.

It's like in Pokemon. If there is ONE good setup for a Pokemon that makes it a certain tier, the entirety of that Pokemon is considered high tier. Sub-optimal ways to play that Pokemon are irrelevant. For example, Protean Greninja is Uber tier so Greninja is Uber tier, no one cares that Torrent Greninja isn't as good.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Nice list. I agree with it mostly, but I have a bunch of questions:

Firstly, what makes the regular Splattershot so good? I've been using it a bit more lately, so I'm a bit curious on what makes it a good choice.

Secondly, why is the Mini Splatling two tiers below the Tentatek if they're mostly very similar? Is it the charge time? The inability to fire constantly (like the Tentatek can) due to its charging requirement? Being a 4-shot splat rather than a 3-shot? Because otherwise, they're very similar (and the Mini has a bit more range (at least it feels like it does) and a much faster fire rate), so I'm wondering why it's so much lower.

Thirdly, why is Dual Squelcher so high? Yeah, it's good, but I just can't see it as among-the-best-weapons material.

Fourthly, where do the Splat Roller and regular L3 Nozzlenose rank? Because I don't see them. Should I just assume any weapon I don't see is in C? Or somewhere below that?

Finally, are the weapons in order (such that .96 Deco is the best weapon, followed by Custom Jet Squelcher, followed by Dual Squelcher, etc.)?

Otherwise, I either agree with your list or just don't know enough about the weapons to question their placement.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
I'd like to know what IM2 uses to better this list. pls no flamerino
just going over the things we'd disagree with:

we'd put ttek in A or maybe even B tier because its range is too crippling for comp and it can no longer reliably get zooka; suctions are still godlike but they're not enough to carry the weapon to S anymore

ds is A; it loses outright to everything in its range tier and is only doing well because people still use ttek and whatnot, and as far as wallhacks go, 96 is better at getting them and abusing them

reg 96 is S tier because permanent wallhacks are ****ing ridiculous why would it ever not be S tier

gatling is A tier; it breaks wall stalls very easily and has a wall of its own. people don't use it because they don't know how, that's about it

regular splattershot is B tier for similar reasons to ttek

krak-on would be C or D tier because it's ****ing terrible at everything except beating up uncoordinated teams

custom blaster and carbon are definitely B tier, basically pubstomping weapons that are being used in comp because people still play comp like pub games

bamboozler will eventually be S tier, but right now people suck with it too much and I might be overestimating how much they suck with it

other than that, I'd rank this tier list in the A tier as far as tier lists go

EDIT: im2 is not actually a thing btw, all of imperious is one team that we randomly split for tournaments

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Nice list. I agree with it mostly, but I have a bunch of questions:

Firstly, what makes the regular Splattershot so good? I've been using it a bit more lately, so I'm a bit curious on what makes it a good choice.

Secondly, why is the Mini Splatling two tiers below the Tentatek if they're mostly very similar? Is it the charge time? The inability to fire constantly (like the Tentatek can) due to its charging requirement? Being a 4-shot splat rather than a 3-shot? Because otherwise, they're very similar (and the Mini has a bit more range (at least it feels like it does) and a much faster fire rate), so I'm wondering why it's so much lower.

Thirdly, why is Dual Squelcher so high? Yeah, it's good, but I just can't see it as among-the-best-weapons material.

Fourthly, where do the Splat Roller and regular L3 Nozzlenose rank? Because I don't see them. Should I just assume any weapon I don't see is in C? Or somewhere below that?

Finally, are the weapons in order (such that .96 Deco is the best weapon, followed by Custom Jet Squelcher, followed by Dual Squelcher, etc.)?

Otherwise, I either agree with your list or just don't know enough about the weapons to question their placement.
Weapons are not in order, if they're in the same tier they're basically just really close to each other.

Mini splatling doesn't allow you to play as fast as tentatek by a considerable margin. That small delay before firing has a tendency to get you destroyed in any head to head engagement, and the added range doesn't help enough.

Dual squelch is definitely the best shooter with Echolocater and it has Splat Bombs too. Did I forget some weapons? The ones you mentioned go in C.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
Sometime down the line (few months?), we can have people vote on a tier list once the metagame has evolved substantially.

CutestFish

Pro Squid
NNID
Ultimatumm
Sometime down the line (few months?), we can have people vote on a tier list once the metagame has evolved substantially.
A vote would be stupid. I'm only interested in what the best are using and their thoughts.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
regular splattershot is B tier for similar reasons to ttek
I want to throw out there that Bomb Range and Damage Up turn Burst Bomb weapons into some of the longest range weapons in the game, especially the Splattershot. They become zoning weapons with charger-range Burst Bombs and do well in teamshot situations.

I don't want to get into an argument over it because it's my main and I specialize in abusing it, so I am obviously biased. Just know that if you feel that the Splattershot, Carbon Roller, or Neo Splash (and prehaps some others) are low-er tier because of range limitations, I disagree with you because there are loadouts that make them preform at long range.

Last edited:

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I'd like to know the reasoning to put Kelp Splatterscope in S tier? I think the regular Splatterscope is superior with bomb rush. Not that killer wail and sprinkler aren't useful but it seems since many teams include the .52 gal which is in your A tier and the regular Splat Roller (I didn't see it included? I may be blind lol. Let me know) seems like a second would be overkill and bomb rush would be more useful.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
I'd like to know the reasoning to put Kelp Splatterscope in S tier? I think the regular Splatterscope is superior with bomb rush. Not that killer wail and sprinkler aren't useful but it seems since many teams include the .52 gal which is in your A tier and the regular Splat Roller (I didn't see it included? I may be blind lol. Let me know) seems like a second would be overkill and bomb rush would be more useful.
I believe he said that Kelp is better for TC and normal is better for everything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom