i simulated anarchy battle's ranking system

nineball

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/him
So a few days ago I read an article linked in an earlier post about Splatoon 1's ranking system and its flaws, and while most of the math stuff went over my head, the article did link a python program that someone made that came to the same conclusion as the article, and that python program inspired me to make a simulation of the Splatoon 3 Anarchy ranking system.

Also bit of a disclaimer: I am not that much of a math and statistics kind of person, I am just a programmer that likes playing with numbers and I might might make a few mistakes here and there.

How Anarchy Ranking Works

For quick reference, and because the wiki has this information split up in two pages, I also will explain in this thread how Anarchy's ranking system works. I have wrapped the explanation in an expandable spoiler tag for those who do not care and just want to see the juicy data.

Sources: https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Rank, https://splatoonwiki.org/wiki/Anarchy_Battle
Rank

Anarchy has 11 total ranks, them being C-, C, C+, B-, B, B+, A-, A, A+, S, and S+. Each of the letters are split into groups (e.g C-, C, C+) with the exception of S and S+ which are each their own group themselves. I will be calling these groups "brackets" going forward.

Ranking Up

In order to go up a rank within your bracket, you must accumulate enough points depending on your current rank. There is no way to rank down.

RankBreakpoint
C-200
C400
C+600
B-350
B600
B+850
A-500
A800
A+1100
S1000
S+

When you reach the point threshold for the highest point in your bracket, you will have to participate in a rank-up challenge where you must win 3 times before you lose 3 times. Rank-up challenges do not cost more than a normal series, contrary to my own memory 🫠.

Series

A series is a sequence of games consisting of up to 5 wins or 3 losses. The more wins you get in a series, the more points you will earn at the end of the series. The earnings are exponential. These earnings are based on the bracket you are in.

Rank Bracket12345
C204575110150
B3065105150200
A4085135190250
S50105165230300
S+50105165230300

Cost

The cost to begin a series is based on the letter rank in your bracket.

RankCost to Enter Series
C-
0​
C20
C+40
B-55
B70
B+85
A-110
A120
A+130
S170
S+180

Yes, the individual letter rank determines point cost, which means that if you, for example, reach A+ and then tank yourself all the way down to 0p you will still have to pay the price that an A+ player would pay in the place that an A- player would be in order to enter another series while only gaining points at the same rate. Take this information as you will 🙃.

Medals

The medals you earn in battle add to the points you gain at the end of a series. A gold medal is worth 5p, a silver medal is worth 1p, and no medal is worth, well, nothing. These points can add up to 15p.
The Simulation

Simulation source code here if you are also a nerd like me: https://gitlab.com/9ball/splatty3-rank-simulation

For the first simulation, we will have 100,000 players playing in back-to-back series over 1,000 games, which I think should be aproximately the amount of games the average dedicated player should be playing per season. Every player has an 50/50 chance of winning/losing each game, and medals are awarded completely at random.
Rank% of players% of players (bracket)
C-0%
C0%0%
C+0%
B-0%
B0%0.01%
B+0.01%
A-0.08%
A2.14%21.90%
A+19.68%
S67.92%67.92%
S+8.16%8.16%
100k-players-1k-games - Debtors.png

It appears that most of the player-base landed themselves in S rank! This might not come as a surprise since its really well known that this ranking system has a really strong upwards bias, especially with the lack of a way to naturally rank down. This feature of the Anarchy ranking system leads to a problem belovedly known by the community as "rank debt", and it appears that these simulated players are no stranger to it! Debtors, highlighted in orange, make up the grand majority of the simulated population.

A simple solution to this problem that many have proposed is to simply just have people naturally rank down when they lose enough points, so I implemented my own rank down system in the simulation.

How my rank down system works is that if after a series a player is below 0p, they will be sent down to the middle rank of the lower bracket (e.g. A- 0p => B 350p). I also made it possible to rank down within a bracket (e.g. A+ => A) This is how a simulation of that system went with the same parameters as before:
C-0.0%
C0.01%0.03%
C+0.02%
B-0.17%
B2.90%12.06%
B+9.00%
A-7.00%
A18.89%62.68%
A+36.79%
S23.14%23.14%
S+2.10%2.10%
100k-players-1k-games-rank-down - Player Population.png

Then for curiosity's sake, with 10,000 games.
C-0.0%
C0.01%0.02%
C+0.01%
B-0.15%
B2.80%11.65%
B+8.71%
A-6.81%
A18.89%62.41%
A+36.71%
S23.57%23.57%
S+2.34%2.34%
100k-players-10k-games-rank-down - Player Population.png

That's a bit surprising! Its really interesting how adding just a simple rank down feature to anarchy can cause the ranks to spread out like that, and consistently across a large number of games too. A few tweaks to the reward system could make the spread more even but I'll leave that for another day.

Well, that's all I have to show for now. I did plan on poking at the simulation a bit more with some more parameters but those plans ended up not coming to fruition, though I might finish those plans at a later date.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
yea, it’s REALLY hard to rank up from S. i was only able to get to S+0 at the end of last season, then i ranked back down. the problem i have with ranking out of S is the rank up battle. istg every rank up battle i do i get matched with top 1,000 X players on the other team and players on my skill level on my team. its genuinely unfair

Keiya

Inkling
Pronouns
she/it
That's working correctly. Theoretically the goal of the ranking system is to aim for a 50/50 chance in each match. of course everyone clustered around the same rank.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Me over here with like a ~35-40% win rate on average, wondering what the heck is wrong with either my matchmaking or me, lol.

Seriously though this is an interesting proof of concept. To some extent I understand the choice to give the ranking system such an upward bias, but on the other hand personally I would prefer ranking be a bit more accurate in terms of where you actually place skill-wise. Allowing for natural ranking-down again would be a vital part of that.

But my inexperienced theory is that it's the developers' intent for X-rank/power to be useful for actual raw skill-placement, and for letter-ranking to be more of a system that (theoretically, with the upward bias) just rewards grinding and makes you feel good about playing a lot. Doesn't mean I like it, but I can kind of see the logic of having two different systems for two different purposes instead of making them both for the same purpose (if this doesn't make sense I'm sorry I'm half asleep lol)

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
But my inexperienced theory is that it's the developers' intent for X-rank/power to be useful for actual raw skill-placement, and for letter-ranking to be more of a system that (theoretically, with the upward bias) just rewards grinding and makes you feel good about playing a lot. Doesn't mean I like it, but I can kind of see the logic of having two different systems for two different purposes instead of making them both for the same purpose (if this doesn't make sense I'm sorry I'm half asleep lol)
Yeah but Nintendo still makes us grind to S+10 to keep playing the good mode

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Yeah but Nintendo still makes us grind to S+10 to keep playing the good mode
Well at least now the top 1000 get to stay in S+, that's better than nothing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom