JP Splatfest #13: Tuna Mayo vs Red Salmon Onigiri (RESULTS ARE IN!)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
7-Eleven Splatfest.png

The next Splatfest for Japan has been announced, and once again it's sponsored--this time by the Japanese branch of 7-Eleven! The theme here is onigiri; would you rather have a tuna-mayonnaise onigiri or a fermented red salmon one?

My source for this info (Splatoon-Nawabari) believes that tuna-mayo will be the popular choice. I'd have to agree since I doubt that many players (especially the younger ones) will be interested in fermented anything. Now, whether that translates to Team Fermented Salmon having the battle advantage is another story...

UBERU-5

Senpai in the sheets ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
NNID
SgtUBERUU
lol popularity doesn't really effect Japanese splatfest compared to NA splatfest lol

but i would def choose the tuna mayo...sounds so yummy

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I've had onigiri, but can't remember if I've had either of those before.
I did also try natto (fermented soybeans) and the taste was... Alright...
I'll probably be tuna mayo

Last edited:

blu

Inkling Cadet
NNID
blu_64
I would ask for a food sponsored splatfest, but then we would get "Pizza Hut presents stuffed crust vs Whatever" or "McDonalds, Burger King something".

UBERU-5

NNID
SgtUBERUU
I would ask for a food sponsored splatfest, but then we would get "Pizza Hut presents stuffed crust vs Whatever" or "McDonalds, Burger King something".
no NA should do a Red Lobster chedder biscuits vs Green Olive Garden bread sticks.
a reference from roosterteeth podcast xD

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah. It sucks that we don't get something like Snapple sponsoring a Splatfest or even Chipotle. I guess it'd be too much work to get the legal stuff out of the way.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I actually don't eat onigiri very much, but I definitely prefer tuna over salmon (both are good though). I think I'll buy one of each and try them side by side before I pick my team! xD

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
No, but seriously though, I don't like sponsored Splatfests. It breaks the charm of the game, being set in an alternate reality.

UBERU-5

NNID
SgtUBERUU
No, but seriously though, I don't like sponsored Splatfests. It breaks the charm of the game, being set in an alternate reality.
Lol do you want splatoon to get bigger or no? Sponsors will be the only way to get splatoon bigger than ever. Next thing you will know is when 7/11 could sponsor Japan's number 1 splatoon team.
I'm all up for sponsors >3<)/

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
*resisting the urge to type out J-E-L-L-Y-D-O-N-U-T-S*

I'm surprised by how early this announcement is. A full week early...

Now I've never had rice balls before, so I have to ask: are the tuna & mayo mixed together? That's the only way I'd be able to stomach it. Then again, I'm not sure what to make of fermented salmon. What's that supposed to be like?

Man, the people behind Japan's Splatfests certainly seem more open to cross-promotion than ours and Europe's. That's at least 6 sponsored themes now (8 if you count the Pokémon one and the second Maruchan one). What, is there nothing else over there that they can have a civil discourse about? Is everything else too controversial?

Keep in mind, I'm not complaining. It just strikes me as odd, seeing as we've only had the Transformers/Pokémon themes over here, and poor Europe only got the latter with everyone else. Where's our sponsorships, NoA/E?

Cyan

Inkling Commander
*resisting the urge to type out J-E-L-L-Y-D-O-N-U-T-S*

I'm surprised by how early this announcement is. A full week early...

Now I've never had rice balls before, so I have to ask: are the tuna & mayo mixed together? That's the only way I'd be able to stomach it. Then again, I'm not sure what to make of fermented salmon. What's that supposed to be like?

Man, the people behind Japan's Splatfests certainly seem more open to cross-promotion than ours and Europe's. That's at least 6 sponsored themes now (8 if you count the Pokémon one and the second Maruchan one). What, is there nothing else over there that they can have a civil discourse about? Is everything else too controversial?

Keep in mind, I'm not complaining. It just strikes me as odd, seeing as we've only had the Transformers/Pokémon themes over here, and poor Europe only got the latter with everyone else. Where's our sponsorships, NoA/E?
The thing is the Pokémon Splatfest doesn't count as a sponsored one, since Nintendo owns the IP with Game Freak. We've had no sponsored Splatfests, but there's a reason for this, there's too many countries within the PAL region, so we haven't got a great deal of flexibility sponsor-wise. A British sponsor wouldn't make sense to Europe and Australia, much like how an Australian sponsor wouldn't make sense to us. The only way we can have a sponsored Splatfest is to have a "generic" brand, that is to say, one that every country recognises. It's why our Splatfests always seem odd and random to sone people, and why people get salty over it. I personally love the randomness, since it leads to great debates and difficult decisions (like the Pineapple on Pizza one), and our popularity is very rarely one-sided (bar Barbarians vs Ninjas, but who didn't see that one coming after NA? :P), in fact, despite the x6 multiplier, we often have the more popular team win (you can see all the results on Inkipedia). In response to this Splatfest, prepare to see a whole load of Wasabi and Berry weapons, should be pretty funny though.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
The thing is the Pokémon Splatfest doesn't count as a sponsored one, since Nintendo owns the IP with Game Freak. We've had no sponsored Splatfests, but there's a reason for this, there's too many countries within the PAL region, so we haven't got a great deal of flexibility sponsor-wise. A British sponsor wouldn't make sense to Europe and Australia, much like how an Australian sponsor wouldn't make sense to us. The only way we can have a sponsored Splatfest is to have a "generic" brand, that is to say, one that every country recognises. It's why our Splatfests always seem odd and random to sone people, and why people get salty over it. I personally love the randomness, since it leads to great debates and difficult decisions (like the Pineapple on Pizza one), and our popularity is very rarely one-sided (bar Barbarians vs Ninjas, but who didn't see that one coming after NA? :p), in fact, despite the x6 multiplier, we often have the more popular team win (you can see all the results on Inkipedia). In response to this Splatfest, prepare to see a whole load of Wasabi and Berry weapons, should be pretty funny though.
You were saying?

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
To be fair, it's less an alternate reality and more a very, very distant future. It's incorporated into the justification for Splatfests, being that they're sent off of Earth and back again, hence why these questions tend to be more relatable to us than to them.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
You know, knowing what 7-Eleven food is like in the States.....I'm questioning just how questionable 7-Eleven SEAFOOD must be. Let alone fermented seafood. I mean...it's 7-Eleven...you kind of assume it's fermented no matter what it is, right? :scared:

R2D221

Senior Squid
NNID
R2D221
I'm questioning just how questionable 7-Eleven SEAFOOD must be
Brands operate differently in different countries, to adapt to their cultures. Considering how Japanese cuisine is almost entirely based on seafood, I don't think the Japanese 7-Eleven is screwing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom