How To Rank Up - My Splatoon Guide To Glory!

Would you recommend this guide to a new squid?

• No because it's biased

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No because there's not enough info

• No because the tips described aren't all good

• No because I can't be bothered :/

• Total voters

LaJoJoe

Inkster Jr.
NNID
LaJoJoe
hey guys thnx for the support, would like to see if anyone also would like to join nintentopia clan its for everyone any rank as long as you show effort!

DekuKitty

Pro Squid
NNID
SkyeHunter
I mean you can use the Areospray, but don't expect to have any real friends anymore.

Also the flanking strategy works wonders in C ranked, especially Rainmaker and Tower Control. Both teams tend to just run to the goal, so if you can take an off path and get behind enemy lines, you can have a good choke hold to allow your team to take the lead early on.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I've been at B-rank for a long while now...every time I make it up at the threshold of promotion (between 90 and 98), I get a LONG series of losses that puts me back down to low- to mid-B. These are the typesof player behavior that seems to cause me to lose, and I'd like to know how to deal with them as my teammates (and changing rooms doens't work--I just find myself with more of them):

Glory hogs. In Tower Control and Rainmaker, they want the glory with minimal risk. They will absolutely refuse to be the first to get on the tower or take the Rainmaker and will even let opponents get them. They're most often at least pretty good with splatting and sometimes very good, holding off opponents and keeping them from reaching the goal. They are glory hogs because when someone (i.e., me) gets on the tower or takes the Rainmaker, they will follow 20 to 50 feet behind, inking only for mobility, and only gets on the tower or takes the Rainmaker when I've been splatted and we're close to the goal. These guys want to be the one to bring the tower or the Rainmaker to the goal at all costs, and they will throw matches if it cannot be done.

Inflexible people. These people have one game plan, and they will keep trying it over and over until it works or until they lose, and then they'll try it again the next chance they get. This usually means they get splatted over and over without actually helping, and they are very easily flanked and outmaneuvered. Most commonly, said plan consists of a beeline to wherever the objective is, and once splatted, will ALWAYS Super Jump if possible regardless of if it's a good idea or not. If they cannot, they wil swim down the beeline they made. For some reason, this sort of player is more likely to have a weapon with an Inkstrike than more flexible players.

Trigger-happy people. These are people who just want to go out and fight, and they might even have pretty high splat-splatted ratios. But they're not contributing towards the objective, or at least not directly. Looking at the map, these people will often pursue an opponent all around the map and completely forget what they're playing. They area nasty problem in Splat Zones, where matches can go by without them ever going near the zones, and unlike Tower Controlor Rainmaker, you have to keep tabs on everyone, as even one opponent can turn a Splat Zones match around.

People who don't know the stages well. Every Ranked stage is modified from Turf Wars, usually to provide additional paths or to make traveling easier. It's less of a problem on stages with minimal changes like Camp Triggerfish or Port Mackerel, but it's a huge problem when a Ranked mode encourages you to take paths not normally used in Turf Wars, like Moray Towers or Museum d'Alfonsino. I mentioned in the "I'm sick of" topic about people who don't know about the tall wall in Moray Towers Rainmaker, for instance, letting whole teams get away with running away without my teammates noticing.

People who mistake the countdown over the Rainmaker for the goal. I still see these occasionally, but not that often. But they're still often enough that they're infuriating. I had a match on Piranha Pit where we took out every opponent and provided a clear path, but the Rainmaker holder insisted on staying in the open area in front of the spawn point.

People who think they're undetectable when laying still in ink. They are people who, in Splat Zones and Tower Control, will hang near a Splat Zone (or within one if they're a complete idiot) or on the tower hiding in their ink. Opponents are smart. They know that if the tower is moving away from the middle and there's no one visible, there's someone in the ink. And, of course, just laying still near a Splat Zone, especially when we control it, is an invitation to get splatted by surprise. They will usually get back up if they're being shot at in Splat Zones, but they are always unprepared for it and will shoot wildly and ineffectively. Tower Control is where it's a bigger problem though, because if I'm on the tower and we're getting shot at, they get in my way when I'm trying to move (and if it's somehting like Camp Triggerfish or Bluefin Depot, it's not always safe to get off).

People who pick a corner and hide there the whole time. I don't know how these people got up to B, unless they're trying to make us lose, but it effectively means we're down a player. They don't hide in the spawn point either, but nearby, behind it (where possible) or in front of it (where it isn't).

NNID
ShinyPumbloom
I'm a scrub, how do you deal with the splat bombs around corners? I've faced this exact situation before and failed.
Usually I avoid corners unless I know it's safe. Hide behind corners and wait to catch your oponents off guard rather than you being caught off guard. Check your map often! [:

NNID
ShinyPumbloom
I've been at B-rank for a long while now...every time I make it up at the threshold of promotion (between 90 and 98), I get a LONG series of losses that puts me back down to low- to mid-B. These are the typesof player behavior that seems to cause me to lose, and I'd like to know how to deal with them as my teammates (and changing rooms doens't work--I just find myself with more of them):

Glory hogs. In Tower Control and Rainmaker, they want the glory with minimal risk. They will absolutely refuse to be the first to get on the tower or take the Rainmaker and will even let opponents get them. They're most often at least pretty good with splatting and sometimes very good, holding off opponents and keeping them from reaching the goal. They are glory hogs because when someone (i.e., me) gets on the tower or takes the Rainmaker, they will follow 20 to 50 feet behind, inking only for mobility, and only gets on the tower or takes the Rainmaker when I've been splatted and we're close to the goal. These guys want to be the one to bring the tower or the Rainmaker to the goal at all costs, and they will throw matches if it cannot be done.

Inflexible people. These people have one game plan, and they will keep trying it over and over until it works or until they lose, and then they'll try it again the next chance they get. This usually means they get splatted over and over without actually helping, and they are very easily flanked and outmaneuvered. Most commonly, said plan consists of a beeline to wherever the objective is, and once splatted, will ALWAYS Super Jump if possible regardless of if it's a good idea or not. If they cannot, they wil swim down the beeline they made. For some reason, this sort of player is more likely to have a weapon with an Inkstrike than more flexible players.

Trigger-happy people. These are people who just want to go out and fight, and they might even have pretty high splat-splatted ratios. But they're not contributing towards the objective, or at least not directly. Looking at the map, these people will often pursue an opponent all around the map and completely forget what they're playing. They area nasty problem in Splat Zones, where matches can go by without them ever going near the zones, and unlike Tower Controlor Rainmaker, you have to keep tabs on everyone, as even one opponent can turn a Splat Zones match around.

People who don't know the stages well. Every Ranked stage is modified from Turf Wars, usually to provide additional paths or to make traveling easier. It's less of a problem on stages with minimal changes like Camp Triggerfish or Port Mackerel, but it's a huge problem when a Ranked mode encourages you to take paths not normally used in Turf Wars, like Moray Towers or Museum d'Alfonsino. I mentioned in the "I'm sick of" topic about people who don't know about the tall wall in Moray Towers Rainmaker, for instance, letting whole teams get away with running away without my teammates noticing.

People who mistake the countdown over the Rainmaker for the goal. I still see these occasionally, but not that often. But they're still often enough that they're infuriating. I had a match on Piranha Pit where we took out every opponent and provided a clear path, but the Rainmaker holder insisted on staying in the open area in front of the spawn point.

People who think they're undetectable when laying still in ink. They are people who, in Splat Zones and Tower Control, will hang near a Splat Zone (or within one if they're a complete idiot) or on the tower hiding in their ink. Opponents are smart. They know that if the tower is moving away from the middle and there's no one visible, there's someone in the ink. And, of course, just laying still near a Splat Zone, especially when we control it, is an invitation to get splatted by surprise. They will usually get back up if they're being shot at in Splat Zones, but they are always unprepared for it and will shoot wildly and ineffectively. Tower Control is where it's a bigger problem though, because if I'm on the tower and we're getting shot at, they get in my way when I'm trying to move (and if it's somehting like Camp Triggerfish or Bluefin Depot, it's not always safe to get off).

People who pick a corner and hide there the whole time. I don't know how these people got up to B, unless they're trying to make us lose, but it effectively means we're down a player. They don't hide in the spawn point either, but nearby, behind it (where possible) or in front of it (where it isn't).
Aww man D: that sucks. I know the climb is really frustrating, but keep your chin up. Instead of finding flaws in your team mates, try to improve your own gameplay even more. I assure you if you think then ink, you'll hit A rank with much better teammates. Good luck, and msg me if you got any questions.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
P.S. I'm sure that it is my fault for not behaving as a team player sometimes, but sometimes it gets immensely frustrating when you expect teammates to do something and they wind up doing something else, or it's obvious they're not going to help you because they have their own agenda. I used to try playing support in Tower Control and Rainmaker when I see aggressive teammates, but then what tends to happen is that nobody takes the tower or the Rainmaker until the opponent nabs it in plain sight. Why do they do this?

It's also kind of weird that every time I'm about to be promoted to B+, I get a rather long losing streak. It's probably coincidence, but it happens awfully often. I've worked my way up to B 90 or higher four times, only to get shot back down every time.

NNID
ShinyPumbloom
P.S. I'm sure that it is my fault for not behaving as a team player sometimes, but sometimes it gets immensely frustrating when you expect teammates to do something and they wind up doing something else, or it's obvious they're not going to help you because they have their own agenda. I used to try playing support in Tower Control and Rainmaker when I see aggressive teammates, but then what tends to happen is that nobody takes the tower or the Rainmaker until the opponent nabs it in plain sight. Why do they do this?

It's also kind of weird that every time I'm about to be promoted to B+, I get a rather long losing streak. It's probably coincidence, but it happens awfully often. I've worked my way up to B 90 or higher four times, only to get shot back down every time.
If you're having that much of a hard time I wouldn't mind helping you ladder on one of my alts :/

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
Nah, that's fine. I'm not so competitive that I want to raise my rank up by any means possible. But it's just me being a human being to get frustrated seeing a number go up, then back down repeatedly. The fact that I have no main should show that I'm not completely serious about it. (That being said, I do know someone who is at S-Rank and also has no main, which I find is astonishing.)

I would much rather see these modes in unranked play (not to replace ranked play, but have Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker as both ranked and unranked) so I can play without the added pressure. I get similar long strings of losses in Turf War with similar types of players, but it doesn't bother me very much because there are no consequences for losing. (For a related reason, I'd like to see Turf War be added to ranked play, albeit kept at 3-minutes: Sometimes, I'm in a Ranked mood but I want to play Turf War.)

By the way, I read the guide, and I like it. Of course, I would also like to see some more information about how to cooperate with teammates and how to carry a team; I think much of it actually comes from me not being on the same page as my teammates. That is, they expect me to do one thing but I do something else. I'd like to see a run-down on types of players and what to do when you're put on the same team as them. (There is no excuse for waiting at the bottom of the wall in Moray Towers Rainmaker and letting the opponent go to the goal though.)

I think my guess that I don't see eye to eye with teammates is the cause of my losing streaks is reinforced by the fact that, sometimes, I find one person in a room (or two), where we take victory every time. For instance, I found this one player named David (there are a million Davids, I know); any time I was on the same team as him, we'd always win, and the two of us were boasting the two highest splat/splatted ratios in the room. When we were split up, it could've gone either way, and our splat/splatted numbers were a lot lower. (This was how I crossed the B- threshold into B. Actually, I think that except for C- to C, this was how I went up in rank each time.)

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
Of course, I would also like to see some more information about how to cooperate with teammates and how to carry a team...
I think The Rock gave excellent seminar on this subject.

Just send that video to any Randoms you encounter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom