• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What are the Most Balanced Turf War Maps?

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
What maps are the most balanced in Turf War based on weapon viability, non-degenerative play, lack of luck determining the result, the better team usually wins, etc? The "Smashville' of Splatoon if you will.

The Claw

Inkster Jr.
NNID
mariomario494949
My personal opinion of the most balanced stage is Saltspray Rig.

1. It's size is not too small that it's total chaos like Walleye Warehouse and it's not too big that you'll hardly see anyone like Kelp Dome.

2. Saltspray Rig also features a base that cannot be intruded by the opposing team, so that completely eliminates spawn camping.

3. Saltspray Rig has a low point and a high point which forces skilled players to think about whether to protect inked turf on the high point, or to save any team mates on the low point.

There's probably more reasons why Saltspray Rig is so balanced but that's all I can think of right now.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Aren't all of the maps balanced because they're all symmetrical? I don't know if weapons should be taken into consideration because it's not a fighter where you're forced to use your own character.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Aren't all of the maps balanced because they're all symmetrical? I don't know if weapons should be taken into consideration because it's not a fighter where you're forced to use your own character.
Some maps are more balanced than others. For example, in the current form of Urchin Underpass if you block off the other team at the choke point before they can do so to you, you pretty much always win; it's hard to recover if you're down. That leads to degenerative play.
Moray Towers heavily favors chargers, but that's not a big issue tbh.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
I personally think Walleye Warehouse is amoung the most balanced. Comebacks are pretty easy because of multiple high-ground entry points to the center area which is very open and anything can happen there. One team has to be REALLY bad to allow spawn camping to occur. I think it's one of the best.

The one I find may be the least is Saltspray Rig. Having 3 members of a team sit at that choke point into the big northern area while the 4th covers the pathways in ink 95% of the time leads to victory. And there's nothing the other team can do about it aside from an inkstrike and Killer Wail. I despise Salty Tears...

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Walleye, Blackbelly, and Saltspray Rig seem like the most neutral to me. Of course, there ARE no maps that are completely neutral. That would be very boring in this game.

florence

Full Squid
honestly? this reasoning might be weird, but i think saltspray rig is kinda unbalanced. it's the only map that isn't radially symmetric, i.e. it doesn't look the same when rotated by 180 degrees. meaning that one team has to go left, and the other right. i have no doubt that this causes discrepancies in who wins.

barring that, though. i definitely think port mackerel and walleye warehouse are pretty balanced. idk why, it's just that i never really get "trapped" on my side like i do in places like urchin underpass.

FlashTheSentry

Inkling
NNID
FlashSen
I feel like Kelp Dome is pretty balanced, mostly because of how high the spawn platforms and the area around it is. Helps teams not get trapped at spawn, and there's a lot of area to cover up. Seems like no weapon is really at a disadvantage there either.

Summer1401

Full Squid
NNID
Litaker
Kelp Dome hands down. I really don't know how any other map would be in consideration for most balanced.

16bit

Inkling
NNID
imsl1msh4dy
New Urchin Underpass. Just played it with my friend, supports all playstyles and no heavy favoring to one.

Njok

Bouncer
Missed this topic when it was created unfortunately. I also don't think Saltspray is the most balanced. Spawn camping may not be a thing, but a decent team who gets the north area first will pretty much always win. There's really not that many ways in.

It's allright though, it's still a fun map.

I'd have gone with Walleye/Blackbelly though.

Have played only 1 game on the new Urchin and i was still half asleep, but yeah it does look really good and might take the first place.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Rig is simply the best Turf War map just because of the top area which is worth a lot of turf. You actually have an area to fight for/defend which is not your own spawn or the enemy's spawn; the team which controls top (and thus center) is almost guaranteed to win. The lower part of the map works similar, but is not such a big decider.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
I would be more interested in hearing what maps people don't think are balanced or are otherwise issues.
As it is this thread is basically "what is your favorite stage on turf war."

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Arowana might be the most unbalanced simply because of how hard it is to get Rollers from one area to another through the middle. Going up that slope is a nightmare with anything but a bucket or shooter. Not to mention the sniper nests. You need range here, and it's pretty easy to trap the enemy team in their spawn since most of the escape routes are pretty exposed.

Walleye has the spawn trapping issues but doesn't favour any weapon over another, so it is unbalanced in one way but not in another.

New Underpass is really great for balance. Still has some of the same tactics as before (take the middle and patrol the exits for bad guys) but they aren't as cheap and easy to pull off.

Bluefin makes it pretty hard to escape spawn trapping since the bad guys can hide pretty effectively around your base, but since it is very small it is easy to mount a comeback if you break through, so it is an annoying but not broken map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom