Recent Eggstra Work thoughts

isaac4

Inkling Commander
I really enjoyed the recent Eggstra Work on Salmon Junction, obviously having Machine in the rotation plays a big factor in that but the map was also a good choice.
It's definitely a lot better than the previous two maps, Spawning Grounds and Marooner's Bay. I completely avoided playing the Marooner's Bay one just because of how awful the map is combined with the weak weapon comp it had.

Most of the weapons this time were pretty good though. I think DPS was probably the weakest part of the weapon comp but that's only because they paired up Machine with Rapid, which I don't really understand since Machine already takes care of that AoE weapon role and I personally think it does it better than Rapid in SR. I wish they added a weapon like Stamper or Tent instead, they would have helped a lot more in finishing off boss salmonids.
Hydra also wasn't that bad, despite being one of the slowest weapons. Like I said earlier, DPS was pretty mediocre and with a Goldie Wave, Hydra was extremely important for making sure you got as many eggs as possible in wave 2.
There was only really 2 waves that Hydra had to worry about, wave 3 and 5. Even then, I would still say wave 3 wasn't that bad, especially since it was on low tide.

The special selection was also fine. I do wish that Booyah got replaced with Strikes though. I love Booyah Bomb, but in a map as wide as Salmon Junction and with the huge amount of Flyfish and Stingers in wave 5, I think the Strikes would have just worked better.
TSD is also fine, especially since it can deal with Flyfish but being on Hydra meant I barely even got to use it since I would be at a safe distance from lessers anyway. To deal with Flyfish, I had to move out of position to kill them and then move back in so I personally wish TSD was on Machine instead. Machine needs to get closer so it's more likely to get crowded in a bad spot or be nearby Flyfish and Stingers.
Maybe Nintendo is just teasing the Hydra TSD kit though.

Finally for all the waves, I think starting out with high tide was a good choice. The first wave is usually the most boring and easy one, but high tide on Junction is pretty small so it does give it a little bit more difficulty since not taking care of the boss and lesser salmonids that spawn from the right side later on can be a huge problem.
Wave 2 is Hydra's best wave and it's also the wave that can end up determining whether or not you get a high score. It's also pretty fun just trying to kill all the Goldies as quickly as possible near the basket.
Wave 3 is fine, I don't have a lot of feelings about it but I would call it the 2nd hardest wave in the rotation. Getting a good wave 2 and 3 is important though since it gives you a bit more room for error in wave 5.
Wave 4 is nice. Knowing when to switch off the canons to lure is a big part of it since it's so easy to just kill all the boss salmonids that are spawning in and make it harder for you to collect those eggs.

Now I probably don't need to mention it since I've been talking about wave 5 throughout this whole thing but I'll do it anyway.
Wave 5 is a FLYFISH/STINGER NIGHTMARE.
It's where most of the teams specials are going to be used and where everyone is most likely to not even hit the quota, at least from my experience.
I'm so glad Jr. and Machine are in the weapon comp because Hydra and Rapid really struggle in wave 5.

Overall, I liked this Eggstra Work rotation and I hope that this mode doesn't just completely disappear forever once updates are done.

Shoutout to @Grushi and @Aiko.Octo for being there during the dany arc.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Yeah it was really fun! I think they did a great job making the waves feel distinct. Totally agree with all your points, and istg Kaitzo throwing wave breakers at the start of wave 3 EVERY TIME lives rent free in my head.

I think goldie waves are also just fun in general for eggstra work, they're not too hard but the depth comes in getting an insane amount of golden eggs, which is always satisfying.

And yeah having both machine and rapid was weirdly redundant, I don't get why they didn't replace rapid with something like squiffer or even sblast for the dps. I love that they put hydra in since it's so extreme and junior for the paint, that was really smart.

isaac4

Inkling Commander
Totally agree with all your points, and istg Kaitzo throwing wave breakers at the start of wave 3 EVERY TIME lives rent free in my head.
I wish there was a way to communicate with him so we could know what his ultimate strategy was in throwing Wavebreaker at the start of wave 3 when the lesser salmonids were barely spawning in lol.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I wish there was a way to communicate with him so we could know what his ultimate strategy was in throwing Wavebreaker at the start of wave 3 when the lesser salmonids were barely spawning in lol.
Maybe it was a flex, "I don't even NEED my special smh" or something lmao.
I'm afraid we'll never know

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
Man I would have loved to have strikes for wave five. What a nightmare.

But overall it was a lot of fun! It was especially satisfying to squeeze as many eggs as possible out of wave 2. And I got my first silver sticker :D

I also really hope they continue doing these after updates stop. It's a good twist on the usual game mode that creates a very different experience.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
it was definitely the hardest eggstra work i’ve done, but it got much easier in the second day when everyone had memorized the spawning locations

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom