• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

.96 Gal: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
.96 Gal

Lv Unlocked:
Lv. 12

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Similar to the .52 Gal, but with an improved mechanism and a more stable shot. Range and power have been increased...at the of being more ink hungry."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High
Damage: High
Fire Rate: Low

Sub:
Sprinkler

Special:
Echolocator

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the .96 Gal.

Last edited:

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
wait... It's a charger? I thought that it and the 52 cal were shooters lol :P

Isn't it just good range like the jet squelcher?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
wait... It's a charger? I thought that it and the 52 cal were shooters lol :p

Isn't it just good range like the jet squelcher?
Oops. Sometimes these things slip. :P

Looking at it, the Jet Squelcher still has superior range by a decent bit.

I don't really like the .96 Gal's ink consumption or rate of fire myself. The .52 Gal Deco strikes the best balance for me.

Jiggly

Senior Squid
NNID
Jiggly101
Oops. Sometimes these things slip. :p

Looking at it, the Jet Squelcher still has superior range by a decent bit.

I don't really like the .96 Gal's ink consumption or rate of fire myself. The .52 Gal Deco strikes the best balance for me.
.52 cal deco is a lot better imo, but 96 is proving to be great in splatzones. Definitely not a turf war weapon tho imo

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
I personally must say that the .96 Gal is a pretty good weapon, even with its glaring flaws (which, if previously stated, are it's high ink consumption and poor firing rate), but where it definitely excels is at Splat Zones as a weapon to hold and/or capture the control point(s), due to it's emphasis on splatting opponents and the extremely useful Sub Weapon and Special for these situations.

The Sprinkler (which I have to say is one of my favorite Sub Weapons, and is one of the best, along with Ink Mines) actually eases the pain on the .96's weakness of ink spreading (therefore suprisingly making it more viable for Turf Wars), and in Splat Zones, can be used to effortlessly cover the control point, deny the opponent of further ground, etc.

The Echolocator also works extrodinarily well for the .96 too - the fairly high range of the .96 actually compliments it, letting you hunt down pesky chargers more easily, stop flanking attempts, and check out where that annoying Inkling who keeps on taking you down is truly hiding. Not only that, but this also affects your ENTIRE team. For something that already offers so much support for you, it helps your team too.

I understand that people are liking the .52 Deco, but I'm personally thinking that the .96 Gal could in fact be one of the leading shooters in Splat Zones.

EDIT - Doing a bit of testing with the .96 on Ranked Battles, I'd say it does do pretty well! Although this is possibly skill based. Generally in the matches I done, I often got the MVP for my team (often getting more splats than deaths, never getting below 8 Splats), even when we lost. One point of time I even managed to get 16 Splats/4 Deaths in a full 5 minute match and won.
And this was with Port Mackerel and Blackbelly Skatepark as the maps at the time, which both use multiple Splat Zones.

Last edited:

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
*bump for this underrated weapon*

This weapon is a diamond in the rough let me tell ya!

It does have issues with weapons with high fire rates/movement speed that can get in close easily before you get that 2nd hit in (nzaps, tentatek, etc) but it can still out range these types of weapons and pick them off.

It has great map control with sprinklers and its above-average turf coverage for each shot, even with its slowish fire rate. Echolocator let's you make it harder for the enemy to sneak up on you, and help you pick them off. Always a 2hko no matter how man defense ups the enemy is carrying, range equivalent to the splattershot pros and dual squelchers.

To be honest I'd say this weapon is more of an all rounder than the tentatek is. It has the range, power, and turf coverage to let you easily be offensive, defensive, or even supportive! Heck you can do all 3 at once with this weapon!

Sprinklers even throw another really helpful tool into the mix. Distraction. A lot of players get tunnel vision when they see a sprinkler, making it even easier to pick them off.(beakons funnily enough seem to have the exact opposite effect. The amount of times I've seen the enemy/teammates see a beakon and just ignore them is astounding) They can even splat, or help you splat the enemy! I've honestly killed more people with a sprinkler then I've ever done with an ink mine.
Sprinklers have also saved my life against those with invincibility. Mainly bubblers, and to a lesser degree krakens. A well placed sprinkler on a wall, or ground if you need to get it out quickly can give you the neccessary shots to keep a bubbler back until their timer runs out, even if they instantly start destroying the sprinkler. Those with special duration up need to be handled with caution though. Krakens are a bit trickier since they can usually climb whatever wall the sprinklers on and destroy it pretty quickly, or if its on the ground in between you and the kraken they can easily take it out. With krakens I usually toss a sprinkler and flee.

All in all I think this weapon shouldn't be over looked by it's flashier deco brethren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom