A few problems with ranked

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Yep, you sound absolutely terrible to me... :rolleyes: :p

I wonder if I would manage to hit you at all in a match? ;)

LOL, yeah, I hear you with earning money through TW. It's really a shame that they kind of force ranked for money and advancing levels (I can't imagine how long lvl50 would take outside ranked.) Out of splatfest shells I take it? So far I'm hoarding my shells, lol. I haven't even decided on a "main" so I don't know what rolls I really want or need. I'm just buying all the shop gear with 4 slots and taking them out to level it up (except the bomb sniffer main shoes.....I don't see much need for them taking up a slot.)

Only two triple kills? Meh, amateur! You're supposed to do it thrice and still lose! ;)

Nintendo is aware that chargers and support players "contribute in ways that are difficult to measure" as stated in their reasoning for not applying the updated placement rules to squad battles. So I don't think they'd break it for eliters. That said, I also take that as a statement that they accept random shouldn't really play support. Which is itself frustrating.

And, good to know there aren't squads for ranked. They DO mix squad and random for TW and it's intensely annoying. Seeing 3 associated clan members in your match can be very distressing as you know they are more coordinated than the rest. And no, I've never scummed gear. I hate the lottery, but it is what it is. But I'm protective of my equipment like that - I don't use inkbrush and nozzlenose because of the exccessive button mashing, too. (Though I played Bayonetta....so, oh well....)

When considering chargers, what do you consider successfully locking down a portion of the map without racking kills. Not ranked, but I was playing the new map in TW tonight as eliter (man that map is a charger's paradise!) - some rounds were great. I played with dialing down sensitivity, I was going 8/0 afew rounds. Then a few rounds got a team that either moved like water or the lag was attrocious. I hit NOTHING the entire set of matches. BUT I was hoping I was still a deterrent, shooting across their tracks and JUST missing them often, but causing them to change course. (A few rounds they caught on and started ganging up on me 2-3 at a time and ignoring the other eliter on my team entirely.....I take it that means job well done? :p) Skatepark.....that's another story.
To the best of my knowledge squads can only play ranked. There is no tw squads. I'm pretty sure the only coordinated place you can play tw is in private battle, and that does not mix with others. Maybe it's just your luck again. What do I mean about chargers? A very good charger is, by virtue of sitting in a spot, watch a area and deny it to the enemy. Now that's not quite true, but they are going to either have to move irregularly, or hide. Even a decent charger will do the same thing. Even if the enemy catches on that he's not that good, they still will have to exercise more caution than they would if he wasn't there. If three of them ganged up on you, I think that's a pretty good measure of how annoying you were. Keep up the good work:).

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
For the squads in tw, friends can join friends in tw battles albeit the teams iirc are randomized

97Stephen

Pro Squid
For the squads in tw, friends can join friends in tw battles albeit the teams iirc are randomized
I'm a bit confused by this. I thought that the only way to play with friends was ranked squad or private battle, both of those cannot play with randoms. I may be wrong as I've never used them.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future

This is consistent with what I've seen. Like 97Stephen, I haven't used the feature so I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but that definitely must be possible somehow. I've seen several times with 3 or more members of the same clan in the same lobby, or people obviously associated (one duo with matching names, something like "MrTongWong" and "MrWongTong" wearing matching clothing etc. The latter was funny, but the former multi clan members one is irritating because, as you say the teams are randomized, and I've seen players that go 11/3 when they're on the team with their clan mates clearly throwing the match going 0/8 whenever they're separated from their team and on the other team, often just bagging and partying.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
This is consistent with what I've seen. Like 97Stephen, I haven't used the feature so I'm not sure how it works, exactly, but that definitely must be possible somehow. I've seen several times with 3 or more members of the same clan in the same lobby, or people obviously associated (one duo with matching names, something like "MrTongWong" and "MrWongTong" wearing matching clothing etc. The latter was funny, but the former multi clan members one is irritating because, as you say the teams are randomized, and I've seen players that go 11/3 when they're on the team with their clan mates clearly throwing the match going 0/8 whenever they're separated from their team and on the other team, often just bagging and partying.
I looked it up online and you can. I learn new things every day. Thanks @Holidaze.

Award

I have another theory about ranked's matchmaking issues for me and others as well (or general matchmaking.) I wonder how many people play mostly ranked once they start into ranked instead of playing mostly TW? I would think it would have a better handle on where you are in your rank if it's doing "extra" matching beyond just rank. I play a of TW. Mostly TW. And the matchmaking not only throws me with mostly lv40-50, but, like I noted before, a lot of the good ones I remember getting splatted by a lot show up in my Plaza and are A-S rank. Today in TW I had a moderately hard room, high level people, new map, we were winning as many as losing depending on who was on what team. A few really good players. But I was keeping up (and doing excellent with L3 Noz for a while, if I must say! It surprised me because i've never got along with that weapon but always thought it's playstyle SHOULD have been appealing to me.) I might not have been running huge killstreaks, but I was keeping a lot of pressure on the enemy defending our half. Switched to rapid blaster later on...another moderately good room, mostly high level people. But then a few joined that were outrageously great. We got trounced. Badly. A lot. We're talking two players on their team with 12+ kills 2 deaths.

The difference this time was I didn't get a "sucky" team. Both teams were good, there were no zeroes, everyone held their own to some extent, even when we did get closed to almost spawn I wasn't annoyed, it wasn't as unfair a fight with a useless team, it was just a decent team against an amazing team. That said I have NEVER seen a carbon roller move like that, EVER. And these guys had crazy tactics...they were in our base by the time we got halfway out. AND managed to stay alive there and do damage. It was impossible to recover. Considering players I've played that I KNOW were A rank and how they play, I'm guessing these guys were MINIMUM S, very likely S+. And as a little boast, half the kills against them game from me, and I actually enjoyed the dogfights with them, we kept going in circles before either I got splatted, or possibly a trade. In one or two cases not even a trade, I got them. (I ot some booyah's from them upon splatting them, one squibagged after he got me back. I returned the favor after getting him back. All JP players but it seemed like some fun rivalries were going on. The definitely were gunning for me (usually winning, but still...)

My point is this: This is how TW often is for me, though today is more extreme. And I somehow manage to ALMOST hold my own against these top rank players. By almost I mean they get 15 kills, 6 of them are against me, but I might get them 1-3 times. I fear the system might identify I'm ok-ish enough to take on S players in TW, so it throws me the best players in B ranked (rather than giving me normal B players so I can pass them and move into the ranks the system already thinks I should be playing at.

Technically I suck against said players. And I always will. But I wonder if it picks up on my ability to fend them off at all as meaning I'm a super player.

That said, that still means ranked is broken if it makes certain players effectively play above their rank by stacking the deck. It makes me wonder if I'd stuck to ranked instead of TW from the early days I'd have had better matchmaking. I had to tell the other player in the house to NOT play ranked at all just in case that starts causing TW to become harder....they can barely win as-is and haven't played a ranked match. If ranked makes it harder in TW, I think that would end their interest in the game entirely.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
To answer Award, If I'm remembering correctly that is, the reason why you get paired with such high levels compared to having an average level game, is because the game doesn't work TW that way, I believe that they just pick up whoever is available at the moment so you don't have to waste much time getting into a game.

However, don't let it discourage you if you do get paired with them, it helps you a lot more vs people around your skill level. I would rather test my skills against higher skilled people and improve exponentially, rather than improving marginally with people around my skill level. Either way it's a + from both sides of it, I just prefer doing it the hard way I guess. :y

And to answer about the teams being randomized for TW, yeah it may be random teams, but people who do play TW in squads or such do so to test new weapons, and the friends are there just to participate and either make fun of, or encourage said friend trying something new. And they're not going to just sit around and watch him (Probably,) more than likely they're going to get in on the action, and always, and I can't stress this enough always, look around yourself. A player who is more aware, is more than likely going to address flanks more effectively, and surprise attacks.

And to answer again about ranked stuff. It'll never put you against people above your skill bracket So C's against C's and the occasional B and so on, it will never put you up against anything higher unless you do ranked squads. And to ask a hypothetical, are the players in said skill bracket deserving of that rank? Probably not, Wait scratch that, more than likely not. People drop occasionally, and they are superb players. iirc, The B - ~B + range is the worst in terms of actually ranking up. I've seen S or even S+ plays come from this range from watching a friend of mine play, and mind you he is at least an A+ in my eyes. And as far as I know, people from the A Rank and Above usually have alternate accounts to play ranked on to try out new weapons in a competitive environment. So flooding the lower ranked lobbies with smurfs.

If you have anything else you'd like to ask or whatever, I'll try to answer it to the best of my ability!

Last edited:

Award

To answer Award, If I'm remembering correctly that is, the reason why you get paired with such high levels compared to having an average level game, is because the game doesn't work TW that way, I believe that they just pick up whoever is available at the moment so you don't have to waste much time getting into a game.

However, don't let it discourage you if you do get paired with them, it helps you a lot more vs people around your skill level. I would rather test my skills against higher skilled people and improve exponentially, rather than improving marginally with people around my skill level. Either way it's a + from both sides of it, I just prefer doing it the hard way I guess. :y
Before 2.4, TW was fully random (or at least mostly random.) Starting in 2.4 they've applied more sophisticated matchmaking to TW (that they should have had all along.) They're of course not detailed on what it uses for matchmaking, but there definitely is matchmaking now to try to pair users with closer matches now (and inducing more wait times for a lobby.) I don't dislike the introduction of matchmaking beyond the fact that bonth 2.3 and 2.4, both splatfest, ranked, TW, I seem to consistently get paired against players with much higher skill (compared to the other WiiU here.) It was ridiculous in prior versions when I was level 15-30 and paired entirely with lv 40-50 player. Now that I'm getting close to 40 it's still that way but doesn't feel as out of place :p I do wish there wasn't a 50 cap - 50 could be 50, or it could be 75....and you can tell. Though the uneven pairing I'm stuck with is actually better in TW than ranked and splatfest. In TW, at least the rotation is random so I get paired with and against them kind of evenly. Splatfest and ranked I get paired only against them, never with!

And I agree, in TW I don't mind being paired that way. It used to be annoying when I really wasn't as accustomed to the play speed and wasn't familiar with the weapons, but it's more fun now just abandoning the objective and going Team Deathmatch against the players I want to learn how to counter :D The S/S+ ones though....yikes. I'll never be able to do that well. I can go toe to toe and get a splat in for every 2x getting splatted, but the S/S+, I plain old miss every time.
But when I get paired that way in ranked, it's still awful.

And to answer again about ranked stuff. It'll never put you against people above your skill bracket So C's against C's and the occasional B and so on, it will never put you up against anything higher unless you do ranked squads. And to ask a hypothetical, are the players in said skill bracket deserving of that rank? Probably not, Wait scratch that, more than likely not. People drop occasionally, and they are superb players. iirc, The B - ~B + range is the worst in terms of actually ranking up. I've seen S or even S+ plays come from this range from watching a friend of mine play, and mind you he is at least an A+ in my eyes. And as far as I know, people from the A Rank and Above usually have alternate accounts to play ranked on to try out new weapons in a competitive environment. So flooding the lower ranked lobbies with smurfs.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there with the center of the problems. I know they're never going to fix it (why fix Splatoon when they can make Splatoon 2 address the issue, call it a "better way to play" and attach it to NX?) but I think it all comes down to core issues with the way the scoring works. I don't think thy intended it to be like that. The intended it to be a ladder, and instead made a hill. There should be nothing wrong with an S player creating a second account to try new weapons etc. Though they also shouldn't feel the need to do so. But even if they do, that means they're an S player. With a new weapon, they should figure it out in short order. Even if they can't play to their full ability with said weapon, it's likely they can play a rank or two behind themselves. But if the scoring issues and polluted pool locks too many people in the B's to the point that the high skilled people don't get passed through the system to theirreal rank, the whole system becomes deeply broken. IMO That issue NEEDS to be fixed, and adjustments to the scoring system are the only way to fix it. The aim of any ladder scoring system should be to efficiently and effectively move people to the rung of the ladder they should be on. If it traps people on incorrect ladder rungs, the ripple effect is a disaster to all rungs. The fact that the current scoring does NOT efficiently move people to an appropriate rank makes it less fun for the skilled players having to fight lesser skill players all the time (and still lose) and not fun for the real B rank people that have to play at A rank to get out. I know they WON'T fix the scoring, but I really wish they would. Ranked is still badly damaged as a result.

I had the opposite effect in TW today, for the first time in a long time I was matched with all low skill players, noobs under lvl10. I wasn't used to not having to go out guns blazing and frantically tearing around. And I felt bad going 15/0 on a bunch of noobs, so I decided to just run around and paint the base, and just held defence. I made sure our team won of course ;) but never pushed or left our side. I "let" them splat me a few times (not intentionally but backed off fights I could have won to let them advance a little and got it in the back, or stood around painting corners and ledges and not paying attention, trying to stay out of the way and just not let them into our base (or too far in.) In the event I saw the enemy superjump right into a battle near me I relentlessly pwned them to ensure they'd not do it again. It was oddly fun playing coach :)

ultra777

Full Squid
NNID
crazydragon1000
I had the opposite effect in TW today, for the first time in a long time I was matched with all low skill players, noobs under lvl10. I wasn't used to not having to go out guns blazing and frantically tearing around. And I felt bad going 15/0 on a bunch of noobs, so I decided to just run around and paint the base, and just held defence. I made sure our team won of course ;) but never pushed or left our side. I "let" them splat me a few times (not intentionally but backed off fights I could have won to let them advance a little and got it in the back, or stood around painting corners and ledges and not paying attention, trying to stay out of the way and just not let them into our base (or too far in.) In the event I saw the enemy superjump right into a battle near me I relentlessly pwned them to ensure they'd not do it again. It was oddly fun playing coach :)
The reason you were probably matched with noobs in TW this time is because it's around Christmas and many people would've bought Splatoon. I myself was also matched with many noobs on Christmas day even though I'm a level 48. I bet the sales for Splatoon will be pretty high this month.

Award

The reason you were probably matched with noobs in TW this time is because it's around Christmas and many people would've bought Splatoon. I myself was also matched with many noobs on Christmas day even though I'm a level 48. I bet the sales for Splatoon will be pretty high this month.
Yep, I expected that sooner. And the day before, I was paired with almost all S rank :p There's bee noobs all week, but I haven't been paired with more than a stray or two until then. It was pretty fun. Awful for weapon experimentation but fun on its own.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
While we are on the topic of tw matchmaking, I have something interesting to share. I am the primary user of the wii U, but sometimes I will let my brother play. In tw war I always play level 50s that are definitely S rank. So I'll be playing tw and my brother will want to play, so I'll leave the game so he can change his weapon, he'll get back on and he'll get a room of level 20s or under that must of just bought the game. I don't get how this works, it's the same account, so it's not that. He's not that good so that may have something to do with it.

Award

While we are on the topic of tw matchmaking, I have something interesting to share. I am the primary user of the wii U, but sometimes I will let my brother play. In tw war I always play level 50s that are definitely S rank. So I'll be playing tw and my brother will want to play, so I'll leave the game so he can change his weapon, he'll get back on and he'll get a room of level 20s or under that must of just bought the game. I don't get how this works, it's the same account, so it's not that. He's not that good so that may have something to do with it.
Interesting. I would say it's because he's not that good, but just leaving the room wouldn't trigger it to know that until a few losses go by. And I've never seen it adjust just because I've been doing terribly, even when I keep leaving the lobby. It could be coincidence. Every once in a while I get lower ranked players in a lobby, before it goes back to high level (often automatically.)

How about the weapon? Is it a weapon that he uses but you don't use a lot? I wonder if it pays attention to skill level by weapon? Turf inked, + general measured skill for each weapon? At this point I've spent good time with most weapon types so I don't know if it has anything to go by for me to drop me. The rollers were the last of the new types and I've been playing them enough to be in the lv50 S rooms with them. Maybe once I unlock dynamo I'll get to test that theory. I keep saving the rest of the campaign for the next time the servers are down for maintenance. It helped me through withdrawal last time.... :D

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Interesting. I would say it's because he's not that good, but just leaving the room wouldn't trigger it to know that until a few losses go by. And I've never seen it adjust just because I've been doing terribly, even when I keep leaving the lobby. It could be coincidence. Every once in a while I get lower ranked players in a lobby, before it goes back to high level (often automatically.)

How about the weapon? Is it a weapon that he uses but you don't use a lot? I wonder if it pays attention to skill level by weapon? Turf inked, + general measured skill for each weapon? At this point I've spent good time with most weapon types so I don't know if it has anything to go by for me to drop me. The rollers were the last of the new types and I've been playing them enough to be in the lv50 S rooms with them. Maybe once I unlock dynamo I'll get to test that theory. I keep saving the rest of the campaign for the next time the servers are down for maintenance. It helped me through withdrawal last time.... :D
That's what I was thinking. He exclusively plays the tentatek splattershot and I never do. I'll have to try playing it and see if that changes anything. It would be interesting if they measure skill per weapon. I have some weapons that I've never touched, so I'll have to try it. Even if it's true, it doesn't change anything. I just thought I'd share it though.

Award

That's what I was thinking. He exclusively plays the tentatek splattershot and I never do. I'll have to try playing it and see if that changes anything. It would be interesting if they measure skill per weapon. I have some weapons that I've never touched, so I'll have to try it. Even if it's true, it doesn't change anything. I just thought I'd share it though.
That might make a lot of sense. I've played a lot of weapons relatively a lot so I probably can't tell a difference between most of them, and the few weapons I haven't played a lot its' because I just plain suck at them (Hydra, this means you.) But the Gals always bored me so I never touched them much...when I got the room of noobs yesterday I had decided to take the 52 out for a spin for the first time in a long time.....can't be coincidence. Maybe I should try TC with a Hydra. :p

I wonder if it's by main weapon or specific weapon? I.E. would Custom E-Liter count as just another E-Liter, or a "new" weapon?

Award

I'm still seeing the weird weapon distribution, too, at least in TW. I'll probably give ranked a shot later today or tomorrow again....I think I'm finally getting over caring about rank enough to miss half the game. Heck I might just throw my rank to the wind and just experiment with a variety of weapons in ranked, If I lose enough I can play ranked eliter with a noob pool! :D [Insert Callie cheer pose for incredibly stupid/naieve idea!]

But in TW, I noticed, while I was playing with Carbon roller yesterday, I was often on teams of ALL rollers. Chargers were a rare find on either team. Weird coincidence? Rollers are the new meta (again)? Rollers of all skill levels are all that were online at the time? And then I switched to splat charger. Suddenly I was often on teams of 3-4 chargers. And chargers including squiffers started showing up often on the other team too. Suddenly the only people online ALL changed from rollers to chargers? In both cases blasters were almost entirely absent.

I'm convinced this is in no way random. It's intentionally matchmaking chargers with chargers, and rollers with rollers. Not sure what else gets paired with what. But I can't figure out why, at all. Only once during my time as a roller was I in a mostly charger room - I'm guessing that time I was that "one lone person with a different weapon" it stuck into the "charger special" room.

(OT: I saw you mention L3 Nozzlenose in your other thread - My $.02, it can be an amazing weapon. I used to suck with it but after spending a lot of time on chargers, not so much 3k Scope, but splat charger and bamboozler, my aim improved enough to make use of it. Turns out, I'm a maniac with it. I move like S rank, spam disruptors like no tomorrow, cover tons of map, play support with disruptors and main offense when charging in. It can be powerful IF used aggressively. Very aggressively. I'd advise turning sensitivity down a little from your usual and think of it as a rapid charger more than a shooter. But despite that I happen to be very good at it to my own surprise, I don't intend to use it much. It's a finger killer and a button destroyer, especially if you try to ink with it. If you use it just as a killer it's fine. But spamming the trigger to ink just gets old, fast. I'm currently trying to learn Carbon and use it equally effectively (and figure out how to storm the front lines with a roller....) in order to have a similarly aggresive weapon that doesn't break my finger and ruin my gamepad :) L3's fun to take out and run loose with though! It's a shame you have to leave a lobby to change weapons. So many times I want to try a different weapon with the same group of players. But in Ranked if I'm getting trashed, I'd love to switch to L3 and show them their place. ;))

Award

Ok, so today, ,after some brutal TW matches with eliter (matched with mostly lvl50, very clearly A+, S S+ players, and when there were non-50,s I was paired with the non-50's against 4 50's.) I decided to go back to ranked. I jump in with carbon, and realized as it loaded that I still had my sensitivity down to -5 for sniping...uh oh! I'm matched with a full room of people lower level than me! I played like trash (try running carbon roller with minimum sensitivity!) but not AWFUL. I still had positive k/d. I applied plenty of pressure (SZ on Museum.) I had to leave the room unfortunately to fix my sensntivity.

SO I came back to a room more evenly matched, 20's, 30's a few 40's. We win again! Then a partial (non-knockout) win. Then massive knockout defeat (these opponents had to be higher "real" rank - they had much more advanced tactics, occupying our base, attacking FROM our base. Bee lining to the enemy base at the start and occupying it requires very high level players that know they won't get crushed right away. Then every single round after that we won either full or partial.

I dare anyone to tell me ranked isn't broken: I was playing a weapon I never took into ranked and picked up only a few days ago, on a map that I've never before even played in that mode which is a map I typically don't do my best on, and especially not so with that weapon. The same player that could barely hang onto B, got bumped to B-, back to B a week ago sails into B+ in about an hour with only a single loss the whole time. What a mess of a system...

Now I'm afraid to play ranked again in fear of messing up my new rank :p

The one catch is that I did not have the most splats on the team, by far. We had a player with 14+ kills, and so did the enemy. I had 4-6. At first I felt maybe I just got lucky and got carried through the rank - but I don't think so. The one thing I did have at the end was the lest deaths and a positive k/d. Low splats, low deaths makes it sound like I was hiding at spawn, especially in SZ, but I wasn't. I spent (nearly) every moment at the zones (except when I left to repaint a path the enemy tried flanking though, or to take out an annoying shooter or sniper off on the side perches, or try to claim a little turf to move in.) But otherwise I was flying back and forth between the two (skatepark) zones on the sides of the tower, constantly flicking, constantly throwing bombs, constantly reclaiming zones (sometimes with bombs alone), and successfully evading and retreating. I didn't get a lot of kills, but I only got splatted 1-3 times, meaning I spent almost the entire match applying constant (annoying) pressure at the zones. Whenever the enemy showed up at the zones, there was that annoying carbon roller again.... So I'm caught between "I got carried" and "I played the front lines and set up kills for the team" - the key here, The thing I CAN state that's different from last time - the whole team played the game and played the objective. There were no bad team mates. And that is what made the difference. And the one we lost I had team mates trying to play turf war at museum just painting everywhere BUT the zones, leaving me to play the objective with one other player.

Now I don't want to play ranked and lose B+! :( It's a bittersweet win.

The other matchmaking highlight of the day was TW: Moray, me with eliter, an ally with eliter scope. He took the perch on the usual ledge, so I moved down to the perch at the bottom ramp. He was level 50, me lvl38. I went 9/1. He went 1/0. I'm sure he was just new to chargers but mains something else much better....but it was still worth a big laugh. I finally get a level 50 on my TW team and he can''t hit anything! (I had a lv47 with a .52 Gal in a few matches as well....we lost every time....she went at least 0/3 every single round. I managed to go at least 2/2 as a completely overrun, de-perched eliter. :scared: )

Matchmaking truly hates me most of the time! But today in ranked, it actually worked. Maybe the first case of WORKING matchmaking i've seen yet.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Ok, so today, ,after some brutal TW matches with eliter (matched with mostly lvl50, very clearly A+, S S+ players, and when there were non-50,s I was paired with the non-50's against 4 50's.) I decided to go back to ranked. I jump in with carbon, and realized as it loaded that I still had my sensitivity down to -5 for sniping...uh oh! I'm matched with a full room of people lower level than me! I played like trash (try running carbon roller with minimum sensitivity!) but not AWFUL. I still had positive k/d. I applied plenty of pressure (SZ on Museum.) I had to leave the room unfortunately to fix my sensntivity.

SO I came back to a room more evenly matched, 20's, 30's a few 40's. We win again! Then a partial (non-knockout) win. Then massive knockout defeat (these opponents had to be higher "real" rank - they had much more advanced tactics, occupying our base, attacking FROM our base. Bee lining to the enemy base at the start and occupying it requires very high level players that know they won't get crushed right away. Then every single round after that we won either full or partial.

I dare anyone to tell me ranked isn't broken: I was playing a weapon I never took into ranked and picked up only a few days ago, on a map that I've never before even played in that mode which is a map I typically don't do my best on, and especially not so with that weapon. The same player that could barely hang onto B, got bumped to B-, back to B a week ago sails into B+ in about an hour with only a single loss the whole time. What a mess of a system...

Now I'm afraid to play ranked again in fear of messing up my new rank :p

The one catch is that I did not have the most splats on the team, by far. We had a player with 14+ kills, and so did the enemy. I had 4-6. At first I felt maybe I just got lucky and got carried through the rank - but I don't think so. The one thing I did have at the end was the lest deaths and a positive k/d. Low splats, low deaths makes it sound like I was hiding at spawn, especially in SZ, but I wasn't. I spent (nearly) every moment at the zones (except when I left to repaint a path the enemy tried flanking though, or to take out an annoying shooter or sniper off on the side perches, or try to claim a little turf to move in.) But otherwise I was flying back and forth between the two (skatepark) zones on the sides of the tower, constantly flicking, constantly throwing bombs, constantly reclaiming zones (sometimes with bombs alone), and successfully evading and retreating. I didn't get a lot of kills, but I only got splatted 1-3 times, meaning I spent almost the entire match applying constant (annoying) pressure at the zones. Whenever the enemy showed up at the zones, there was that annoying carbon roller again.... So I'm caught between "I got carried" and "I played the front lines and set up kills for the team" - the key here, The thing I CAN state that's different from last time - the whole team played the game and played the objective. There were no bad team mates. And that is what made the difference. And the one we lost I had team mates trying to play turf war at museum just painting everywhere BUT the zones, leaving me to play the objective with one other player.

Now I don't want to play ranked and lose B+! :( It's a bittersweet win.

The other matchmaking highlight of the day was TW: Moray, me with eliter, an ally with eliter scope. He took the perch on the usual ledge, so I moved down to the perch at the bottom ramp. He was level 50, me lvl38. I went 9/1. He went 1/0. I'm sure he was just new to chargers but mains something else much better....but it was still worth a big laugh. I finally get a level 50 on my TW team and he can''t hit anything! (I had a lv47 with a .52 Gal in a few matches as well....we lost every time....she went at least 0/3 every single round. I managed to go at least 2/2 as a completely overrun, de-perched eliter. :scared: )

Matchmaking truly hates me most of the time! But today in ranked, it actually worked. Maybe the first case of WORKING matchmaking i've seen yet.
First off I've got to say, good job on your new rank:D, and keep it up! I wouldn't call ranked broken cause of this, I think that a new weapon could have something to do with it. I have the problem of I'll be playing and do horribly with a weapon, so I'll switch weapons and do better, and then the next day I'll be horrible with that weapon, and switch again. It's a bad thing that I'm trying to break. In any case, I find that changing weapons often helps me, I guess cause of the different play style (I don't know if this happens to you, but it happens to me). I have started playing more aggressively too, and have had much better results in ranked. I think aggressive is the way to go in random lobbies (though this is just my opinion). Just because you didn't have the most kills doesn't mean you got carried, applying constant pressure cannot be underrated. It keeps people cautious and looking over their shoulder. I'm that way too about rank. I'm trying not to care, but I don't want to lose my rank either:p.

Holidaze

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
dyngledong
Gotta say, that ranked matchmaking does not take your new weapon into consideration, at least for me anyway. When i tried chargers for the first time, I would get Shiiiiiiiit on. This may be because i was in a rank where I assume, the game assumes we should know how to use the weapons we pick.

Other than that, congratulations on your ranks, but try not to be satisfied with a letter next to your name. it's just a letter after all.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
Gotta say, that ranked matchmaking does not take your new weapon into consideration, at least for me anyway. When i tried chargers for the first time, I would get Shiiiiiiiit on. This may be because i was in a rank where I assume, the game assumes we should know how to use the weapons we pick.

Other than that, congratulations on your ranks, but try not to be satisfied with a letter next to your name. it's just a letter after all.
It doesn't happen in ranked, just in turf war. I have done some testing, and I think it's more of a grace period for new or little used weapons. Today I tried out the Nozzlenose and got matched with definitly low levels (the roller tried to roll me over). After a couple matches though, I was back to 50s. It's just something interesting about matchmaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom