Anyone also have matchmaking issues in Splatoon?

NNID
benimarucollider
Whatever the case, Im frustratingly disappointed at the splatfest (and splatoon in general) as a whole.
Concerning today's splatfest, the matchmaking that offered full of promise just made things worse. The moment Nintendo thought of adding the equivalent of a power ranking to determine matchmaking just buried this game six feet under. Everything was black and white.
That coupled with the fact that the matches themselves were such a mess because players were unsynchronized the whole time. For the majority of the time that I've made the effort of going back into this game today, all I get were those attrocious lag spike along with that *connection unstable* alert.

And the craziest thing about this is that never since the start of March did I have such shamelessly unbalanced matchmaking for the game in general up until now.
Matchmaking in this update is so radical that it always end up with below average players to get stuck with below average players, while the crazy-monster good players gets stuck with the crazy-monster good players.

Since then I've always been on the short end of the stick. The matches; whether it's turf war or ranked, has always been lost in such a one-sided way that it's totally not funny anymore. And I've at this point lost any remaining interest about the game.

So my question to you guys remains: Has anyone out there also have this matchmaking issue for the past weeks?
My experience seemed so obvious to me in such an outrageous way that I can't be possibly making all of this up, because this **** would be so whack.

Last edited:

MeTaGross

Inkling Cadet
So far in ranked, I'm S, the matches have mostly been completely in my favor, though there have been some completely against me. In splatfest I didn't win on mahi-mahi at all, and I only won a net 1 battle. The matchmaking is still bad, but I think it is better.

p.s. I don't think turf was matchmaking changed at all.

chubbypickle

Inkling Cadet
for me in s ranked my win streaks and loseing streaks are always based on gun composition which is sad

i wish they made the teams according to a simple system shor mid and long range, group the guns up and if one team say has a roller, zap, and 2 snipers
then the other team needs to have 1 short 1 mid and 2 long..................... just a thought

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
A+ Rank here, started on 1400 with a good team until I DC'ed. After that, it went downhill on my splatfest teams. It's not that they sucked in particular, we just had really weird team compositions against real good teams. I had a terrible losing streak and kept trying for new teams until it fit but somehow, we never managed to pull it through. My team went either completely "herpderp" during the last minute of the match or was acting like they didn't know what turf is the most important on a particular map in the first place. I also think that a lot of my teammates weren't as familiar with the changes on Moray Tower at all, even though they should've known it because y'know, ranked anyone? I admit that at some point my sight got worse so I couldn't hit as perfectly as usual but I've literally had teammates aimlessly running around or WALK BACK TO THE BASE when he should've seen that someone JUST respawned so he could take care of the turf. No need to walk all the way back yo. e.e I'm not one to only look at the result screen but instead watch them the entire match because that's how I choose how to move... Needless to say, after some time I found several good teams to get back to like 1490 at 5am in the morning, after hours and hours of ... I don't even know why I was still doing this after reaching max title soon enough anyway. Maybe it's because I wanted to fix my Hoverboard Power but after looking up my stats on SplatNet it was all for naught. I'll probably not even bother trying to get a better rank in the next SplatFest anymore. Maybe IF I reach S-Rank before making the next million bucks ingame... |D

tl;dr: Not sure what to think of the new matchmaking system for SplatFest. Granted, it's not AS random anymore but still not there. I really wish I had made it to S rank before SplatFest because it seems it's much more consistent than in the A ranks... especially if you drop due to a short losing streak. The teams get only worse after that... I already feel terrible for real good TW players who just didn't want to play much ranked and got matched with people who just picked up the game. Oooh, if I already felt bad I don't know how they must've felt, yeowch.

Disclaimer: A friend was here for the entire time to confirm my bad luck.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The matchmaking was, simple put, plain terrible in the latest Splatfest. You don't balance a team by putting a bunch of good/more experienced players with newer players in the same team. That just doesn't work well. Instead, you balance a team by putting 4 players of similar level against 4 players of similar level. Come on, Nintendo, I assume it isn't the easiest thing in the world, but making a good matchmaking can't be rocket science.
p.s. I don't think turf was matchmaking changed at all.
Maybe not, but the queues take far longer now in turf wars. Surely there's a reason for that.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Whatever the case, Im frustratingly disappointed at the splatfest (and splatoon in general) as a whole.
Concerning today's splatfest, the matchmaking that offered full of promise just made things worse. The moment Nintendo thought of adding the equivalent of a power ranking to determine matchmaking just buried this game six feet under. Everything was black and white.
That coupled with the fact that the matches themselves were such a mess because players were unsynchronized the whole time. For the majority of the time that I've made the effort of going back into this game today, all I get were those attrocious lag spike along with that *connection unstable* alert.

And the craziest thing about this is that never since the start of March did I have such shamelessly unbalanced matchmaking for the game in general up until now.
Matchmaking in this update is so radical that it always end up with below average players to get stuck with below average players, while the crazy-monster good players gets stuck with the crazy-monster good players.

Since then I've always been on the short end of the stick. The matches; whether it's turf war or ranked, has always been lost in such a one-sided way that it's totally not funny anymore. And I've at this point lost any remaining interest about the game.

So my question to you guys remains: Has anyone out there also have this matchmaking issue for the past weeks?
My experience seemed so obvious to me in such an outrageous way that I can't be possibly making all of this up, because this **** would be so whack.
This, this, this, so much this! :)

I'm a little late to this thread, having my own rant on the same topic in another thread, but It's nice to see someone uninfluenced by some of our ranting here in the past notice the same exact trends. Fresh blood to the chronic complainer's circle is always welcome :P

The splatfest itself was atrocious, as Ranked is usually atrocious, and I'm of mixed minds on how matchmaking in ranked has been affected. I agree that ever since that patch some things about ranked matchmaking seem worse, but I can't qualtify it because the problems you mention are exactly what I've ALWAYS experienced. So far I seem to get less continuous losing streaks that drop me 2 ranks at a time, but I also seem to move ahead less as well, often ending exactly where I start, whether I'm playing B+ or A+. I suspect S and S+ players have a better experience since it's locked to a single rank now for matchmaking, but the A's are still all grouped and the B's are still all grouped. It's better without B+'s and S's in A matches, but only slightly as A+'s are still often S's that got dropped, and A-'s are still often B+'s that got lucky. And Aflat never seems to actually fight Aflats. Every lobby I see is a mix of - and +. It does feel different, and somewhat worse, but mostly I think you're finally getting slapped with exactly the same problems some of us had with the old system as well. I've had the short end of the stick for MONTHS. Some of us have very, very long threads dedicated to trying to figure out what happens to some people and not others. The trouble with the splatfest ranking system is simply that it took the already massively broken ranked ranking system and imported it wholesale into splatfest. The idea sounded great because the idea of ranked sounds great, but the implementation is lacking.

But your situation of always having below average players on your team against crazy good players on the other team is how the majority of my matchmaking (in ranked) has always been :( Which is why I've dedicated so much effort on the forum to whining discussing it ;)

To answer your question, I've seen it a lot longer than the past few weeks, and while it does feel different in the past few weeks, I can't say it's worse or better...the (bad) end result seems to be the same but it's somehow more frustrating in how it gets there (or doesn't get there in the case of ranked....) And of note, not everyone is affected this way. You'll get the people that tell you "you get ranked where you belong" etc. But these people don't seem to have been grouped in this weird matchmaking nightmare some of us get grouped into.

The matchmaking was, simple put, plain terrible in the latest Splatfest. You don't balance a team by putting a bunch of good/more experienced players with newer players in the same team. That just doesn't work well. Instead, you balance a team by putting 4 players of similar level against 4 players of similar level. Come on, Nintendo, I assume it isn't the easiest thing in the world, but making a good matchmaking can't be rocket science.
That's exactly one of the two or three possibilities of what's going on that I've come down to in trying to figure it out. This Splatfest opened a big window into the problem of what's been wrong in ranked all the time. The biggest possibility seems to be exactly what you said: It's trying to match two teams of equal average value by sticking in players that average out to close to the right result. So an 1600, 1400, and two 1000's on one team would be close enough to 1300 to put against 4 1300's. So an S, and A-something and two bad C-somethings would be the same as a mix of A-somethings and B-somethings according to the system. That's definitely a huge part of the problem.

The other half is why are some players ALWAYS given the split good/bad players while the opponents seem to be the generally good players (and in the case of my splatfest the numerically advantaged team, to boot with the higher average score?) I can only assume that something (not the visible number) that tracks our player stats inflates some of us accidentally based on play styles. So if, behind the scenes, I really play like a 7.2, something gets messed up in the metrics and calculates me as a 9 due to something in my playstyle, and therefore puts me against opponents with a similar 9 rating because it falsely thinks I balance them out.

If it were JUST that it assembles teams based on the averages to get "equal" teams, it would benefit us roughly equally as often as it harms us. But for some of us, it's disproportionate and almost always harms us and rarely helps us. I can only assume it's because it thinks we're equal players that balance out those super players for some reason. This ties in with the popular thinking that "alts always get matched against alts anyway" - which I did experience in raising my alt. Either most of the C's and B's are just alts, or it was pairing me up with the alts specifically (and correctly.) meaning in the A's it somehow is getting tricked and gives me a similar "difficulty value" as the S+ alts and matches me against them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom