Anyone know what the ports Splatoon uses?

Robins

Inkling
NNID
Latiken
Nintendo's support post recommends 1-65535, but that's such a high range that it won't make any difference.

Anyone know the specific list of ports that Splatoon uses?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I don't understand the question. Like, server ports?

MindWanderer

Inkling Commander
NNID
MindWanderer
Switch Friend Code
SW-5961-6763-3987
My understanding is that Splatoon runs client-to-client on ephemeral ports. I believe the matchmaking servers use one specific port (or a small number thereof), but not the matches themselves, and that's not the end of port forwarding you care about anyway.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I have a Wii U that has an actual public IP, so I did a packet capture of a Turf War is here is what I logged.
There was never a single "inbound" connection to the Wii U during the match on Camp Triggerfish. Instead, it was all outbound connections to a range of Amazon server IPs. So it appears there is really no point to map inbound ports for the game, they don't seem to be used.

But, if you need to know what port the game uses (at least outbound), the common port for the Splatoon was always 56810 from what I see in the logs.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
My understanding is that Splatoon runs client-to-client on ephemeral ports. I believe the matchmaking servers use one specific port (or a small number thereof), but not the matches themselves, and that's not the end of port forwarding you care about anyway.
I thought that too myself, but all my testing and another previous topic here about servers shows otherwise. Everything appears to be server based completely, no client to client communication between Wii U units at all.

I think there is a good reason not to be peer to peer, as an example. You play a match and you simply create firewall rules against IPs of the your opponents, that would basically kick them out of the match. If this were possible, imagine the abuse of banning people you don't want to play live in your own match.

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
I just did another experiment where I blocked my Wii U from making any Inbound connections (so it would only work outbound, similar to having it behind your firewall) and the games still played just fine without any issues connecting or joining public Turf War battles.

Robins

Inkling
NNID
Latiken
I have a Wii U that has an actual public IP, so I did a packet capture of a Turf War is here is what I logged.
There was never a single "inbound" connection to the Wii U during the match on Camp Triggerfish. Instead, it was all outbound connections to a range of Amazon server IPs. So it appears there is really no point to map inbound ports for the game, they don't seem to be used.

But, if you need to know what port the game uses (at least outbound), the common port for the Splatoon was always 56810 from what I see in the logs.
Is that port used only for match making or also during matches? Also, I saw your post with those IPs, is it worth creating QoS entries for them?

KnightMB

Senior Squid
NNID
KnightMB
Is that port used only for match making or also during matches? Also, I saw your post with those IPs, is it worth creating QoS entries for them?
That was the port used during the match. Match making uses port 443 (secure HTTPS) With so many IPs, I don't know if you would want to make an entry for all of them. I am sure there is a limit somewhere on how many Nintendo owns.

Robins

Inkling
NNID
Latiken
That was the port used during the match. Match making uses port 443 (secure HTTPS) With so many IPs, I don't know if you would want to make an entry for all of them. I am sure there is a limit somewhere on how many Nintendo owns.
Thanks for the information, it's probably a bit excessive but by far the biggest problem I have with this game is the lag, so it might be worth it until I get better internet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom