• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Arowana Mall: Analysis and Thoughts

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Note: This thread will be in a constant state of WIP. Will be updated when new content becomes known.

Welcome to the Arowana Mall Analysis thread. Where we will try to gather and express as much info as we can on this stage.

This thread will hopefully find all sorts of strategies and cool details about this stage.

I decided to make this thread now with the opening of the Global Test-fire even coming very soon and the direct fresh in our minds. Plus, we need specific threads at some point.

So without further ado.

AROWANA MALL

Map Layouts:

Overview

Total BP: 2020

Arowana Mall is a stage that is straight and narrow. There are some paths to the side but the action is mostly on the center path.

"Arowana mall jams both teams into a narrow area for intense matches." - Splatoon Direct Announcer.
As you can see, the action is intense. And the sloped path should provide interesting scenarios.

One thing to note. It is about the pathways to the side. The paths are made up of metal grates. This mean turning into a squid will cause you to fall through. It has confirmed by the Japanese Splatoon twitter account that there may even be water below you. So taking the upper paths trades in the ability to hide and mobility for a better vantage point.

Inkopolis News Info:
Callie: "They're selling shirts with Judd's picture on them!"
Marie: "Well he is something of a cultural icon."

Callie: "I'm always coming here for work!"
Marie: "You don't have a side gig without me, do you?!"

Callie: "Sometimes I like to come here after work. But I always get mobbed by screaming fans."
Marie: "Hmm. They must think you're me..."

Callie: "Omigosh! Look, Marie! That outfit is adorrrrbs!"
Marie: "That reminds me: don't window-shop during battle."

Callie: "The town's been booming since they built this mall!"
Marie: "Are you sure it's not the other way around?"
Strategies
-WIP-

Extras
-WIP-

Please help us find more info. I'll update the thread accordingly.

Last edited:

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
There seems to be a lot of verticality, in this map. Chargers are most likely to be the most effective weapon here.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There seems to be a lot of verticality, in this map. Chargers are most likely to be the most effective weapon here.
I believe so as well. Especially since there are a lot of places for them to "nest." Taking out snipers is probably going to be a top priority.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
sounds like it will be fun for me. the only thing left is to decide between scope or distance...

DingDongMcDork

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DingDong
This maps looks super interesting. I've always been a fan of small maps. I also love the look they gave it.
And as you said, it looks like a really good map for Chargers, so it pretty much confirms my idea that Chargers are very map-specific.
It also looks like we have enough screenshots to draw a map of the place!

RotomGuy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RotomGuy
This is looking to be my favourite map. I love it's aesthetics.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
What I am curious about is the song that plays in this stage. I wonder if it will sound... mall-ish.

Cynlet

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Guantcynlet
Who ever conquers the top ramp in this map will most likely be in control, since the ramp up is very steep, the other team can't go up easily. I'm guessing rollers wouldn't do so hot.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Honestly, I think this is my favorite map so far. :)

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I still it is the best looking map. :3

I wonder if it will be like Walleye warehouse where it'll be easy to turn the tide.

Sheikashii

Senior Squid
NNID
OreoCookieJAF
Screenshots like this make me with there were HUGE open world-like areas. It would be cool to explore a city that looked like this with some friends. I'm wondering how it the stage will be though. It looks kind of cramped. Not so much in the top pic but I guess they were going for versatility here. I'm betting the rapid fire long range weapon would work well here but rollers not so much.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
Here's some new gameplay footage that may help people get a feel for this stage

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Here's some new gameplay footage that may help people get a feel for this stage

This is all very nice footage. I like how there are quite a bit of paths to go despite it being so small. Lots of places to fire from.The central area also has some good places to maneuver as well. It isn't just one big straight narrow line.

ClearlyConfused

Inkling
I'm really liking this map, I think it has a lot of different ways it can be played. Chargers will most certanliy have the advantage if the choose one of the side routes. I think this might be my favourite as there is a lot of verticality to it.

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
I love the huge ramp in the middle of this map. This area is definitely going to be constantly congested, as was shown in the various gameplay videos posted by @Marraphy.

I'd like to see how this level does in Splat Zones and Tower Control, as I anticipate gameplay will be extremely hectic, as players try to control the middle ramp.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, the splat zones will be interesting. I am incredibly curious as to the location(s) of the Control points will be.

<π.

Inkling Cadet
NNID
LessThanPiArt
looks like a cool map. Before watching I should would have said without a doubt chargers would be a go to here. but after seeing some game play I think it going to take a lot of effort to make that weapon work well there.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
looks like a cool map. Before watching I should would have said without a doubt chargers would be a go to here. but after seeing some game play I think it going to take a lot of effort to make that weapon work well there.
There are still a lot of high areas, and the narrow nature of a lot of spots makes for some great Charger support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom