• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Blackbelly Skatepark is more than meets the eye

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I've noticed for a while now that every time i super jump on this map i see a basketball court on the side. So yesterday, out of sheer curiosity, i decided to super jump on all four sides of the map to see what lies beyond the walls and was pleasantly surprised. Beyond the walls of Blackbelly lie two basketball courts side to side, a park and a city skyline behind both spawn points, one of which has moving cars. What's so amazing about this is how detailed each side is. The developers could've easily made a generic background and copy pasted it on each side, but instead opted to add lots of details to parts of the maps you barely even see unless you're paying extra attention. And even then, it's only when you're super jumping which doesn't happen very often on this map. Below are pictures of the four sides.
miiverse screenshot 2.jpg
miiverse screenshot.jpg
miiverse screenshot 3.jpg
miiverse screenshot 4.jpg

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Huh, that looks pretty neat! I guess they only call it "Blackbelly Skatepark" because the action is centered on the skatepark proper, but otherwise I can definitely see it as a proper sports and relaxation venue.

Pinko

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Pinkolol16
I pointed out on my twitter a while ago that the side in the second screenshot looks like the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I pointed out on my twitter a while ago that the side in the second screenshot looks like the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
Seriously, the resemblance is uncanny.
the majority of splatoon is modeled after real life places. so it's not too far off to say that this bridge was modeled after it.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Splatoon's world feels pretty fleshed out, and background details like this are a big reason why.

I wonder if anybody has made a map of the whole of Inkopolis proper based on where the various maps are, since all of them except Triggerfish take place in or near the city (though most seem to be in the suburbs, based on the skyline always being in the distance)

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
I would love a way to out-of-bounds walk around all the maps in the game. Can someone figure out the glitches? thx

(and relooking at the screenshots make me wish for animal crossing style friendships between other players, where you can talk and explore with random people online - easy to make friendship-based squads and clan rivalries)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I wonder if anybody has made a map of the whole of Inkopolis proper based on where the various maps are, since all of them except Triggerfish take place in or near the city (though most seem to be in the suburbs, based on the skyline always being in the distance)
After i made this post, i've been thinking of doing exactly this with inkopolis plaza as my base. Look at the background of stages (flounder heights, hammerhead bridge, arowana mall to name a few) to see which parts of the backgrounds correlate with other maps in the world. Also in the 4th screenshot, there's a forest far off so maybe triggerfish is somewhere in that forest, but it's just speculation for now. I've been meaning to announce this project to see who could help me with this but finals is coming up, so i'm waiting until after it to start. I have been looking around a little just to get a general idea of where the maps lie.

AidanC97

Senior Squid
NNID
aidancalhoun
It is a great map for me personally, I get my personal best in Turf wars from this map because I get good ground cover very easy early on....until the one minute mark hits then im scrambling for enemy turf to ink lol

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
It is a great map for me personally, I get my personal best in Turf wars from this map because I get good ground cover very easy early on....until the one minute mark hits then im scrambling for enemy turf to ink lol
The point of this thread is to detail the background elements, not the map itself.

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I little update for those following this thread. I've made somewhat of a breakthrough. Do you see that really long tower in the second screenshot? Well while examing some of the stages, i have noticed that this exact tower can be seen on arowana, hammerhead bridge and even inkopolis. With this info i was able to find out the location of blackbelly, hammer head and arowana. i have taken screenshots on
WVW69in0iXwfE5C6ov-1[1].jpg
WVW69in0cMIMCELrbv[1].jpg

i do have a screenshot of hammerhead, but it's not clearly visible, so i'll update this post when i take a new one, for now, i'll just use this official screenshot that does have the ferris wheel, but not the tower.
also the ferris wheel that can be seen in inkopolis is also visible on hammerhead bridge.
h3-noscale-1[1].jpg

so i drew this very very very rough and ugly sketch based on these findings.
splatoon map.png

now i do run into some trouble with this. for one, while the ferris wheel is visible in inkopolis and hammerhead, i can't find it on arowana or blackbelly. also, the bridge that's clearly seen in blackbelly, looks nothing like hammerhead. but like i said. all rough drafts idea etc.

Last edited:

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
another link i've found between stages are these electric poles that can be found in inkopolis (more specifically sheldon's training room), flounder heights and camp triggerfish. each of these places an abundance of electric poles.
ammo knights training facility.jpg
flounder heights.jpg
camp triggerfish.jpg

as you can see, the poles go through a mountain range from flounder to triggerfish, so it's pretty safe to say that those two are seperated by a mountain range. the ones in inkopolis plaza are hard to see, so i have to check those out more clearly. i think i'm gonna post a new thread specifically for this map making today a little later, so stay tuned.

Starcrusher5Game

Full Squid
NNID
Starcrusher258
Wow this is a really neat concept
I like how the world is connected
If it helps I found a clue
Callie and Marie say that the bridge would help them reach to work faster.
they also said how they live in flounder heights so flounder has to be somewhere near blackbelly

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
I'm gonna make a new thread where everyone can throw in their idea's sometime tonight.

Last edited:

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Wow this is a really neat concept
I like how the world is connected
If it helps I found a clue
Callie and Marie say that the bridge would help them reach to work faster.
they also said how they live in flounder heights so flounder has to be somewhere near blackbelly
Actually, they say that they CAN'T live in Flounder Heights because it's too pricey.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since surely they make a lot of money from record sales and such and Flounder doesn't seem THAT fancy a place.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Actually, they say that they CAN'T live in Flounder Heights because it's too pricey.

Which doesn't make a lot of sense, since surely they make a lot of money from record sales and such and Flounder doesn't seem THAT fancy a place.
Location, location, location.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
From a recent interview in Famitsu:

"All stages are located in the vicinity of Haikara City / Inkopolis. Saltspray Rig and Bluefin Depot are quite far away but are both reachable by train. When asked if there is a whole map of Inkopolis, the staff said they have a rough sketch version."

Our work is not in vain!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom