• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Blaster

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
Lv 9

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Fires a special ink shot that explodes in midair. This explosion can be used to attack a wide area."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Low
Impact: High
Fire Rate: Low

Sub:
Disruptor

Special:
Killer Wail

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Blaster.

Last edited:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I was expecting to love this weapon, but it didn't click with me, at least not yet. The low fire rate bothers and I don't feel like I am contributing enough.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, The blaster is actually a weapon that I can't really understand right now. It is designed very much for killing opponents, but killing opponents isn't that big of a deal.

Maybe in splat zone.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Yeah it a weird weapon ; very good at killing ; horrible at spreading ink ; even moreso then charger in general as he didn't got the range to back it up.

So yeah maybe it could work at splatzone ; but in turf wars it meh.

Minsman

Inkling
NNID
Minsman
I feel like blaster weapons will be better in turf war because they are AOE weapons and Turf wars will probably have people clump together more (especially on the single zone maps).

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
In the warehouse map it's pretty good. But you have to be really accurate with it. It's a 1 shot to body kill. 2 shot AOE. Semi Decent spread.

It's one of the harder guns. <.< the rapid blaster is like the useless version. Imma try practicing with the blaster and .96 Gal :3 . They are such troll guns

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I really think we should have one thread for all of this stuff..but anyway
I feel like the blaster should count as it's own weapon class since its nothing like a regular shooter. Its rate of fire is slow slow that is a pain to lay out ink, but it has amazing kill potential, so I'd save it for Ranked mode.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
Oh yeah, it also has an indicator whenn your shot is lined up. It'll have an X in the crosshair, meaning, That it will be a fatal hit.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
The key I've found is to go Squid after each shot. It requires you to be extremely anyway, since the cooldown between each shot is so long.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
SO I HAVE BEEN USING THIS WEAPON IN TURF WAR AND SPLAT ZONE. I REALLY TOOK A SHINE TO IT, AND WANTED TO UNDERSTAND IT'S MECHANICS... THIS MIGHT BE MY FAVORITE WEAPON FOR SPLAT ZONE SO FAR.

Sorry for the extreme excitement in that first part, but after not seeing much of any discussion on this thing, i really wanted to learn how it worked. Once i learned it's range, i knew to fight people from MY Distance. This weapon is amazing. I took it into splat zone and found myself coming at the top killing position when winning and sometimes even losing. Once i scored 24 kills, and 7 deaths in a match, I knew i had to come preach about how AMAZING this weapon can be when used properly.

The Blaster is a weapon with... for lack of a better term, a "Critical Distance", where if someone is at the exact necessary distance and you hit them, or near enough to them, you're guaranteed a kill. A "Critical Hit", if you will. The Blaster has a special function where your shot will detonate after a short distance traveled, putting out a decently large ink explosion. I noticed in training with it, that at the critical distance, you'll hear a sound and see a flash on a kill, denoting you were correctly spaced. It's rate of fire is poor, but it's ink bubble shot works similarly to charge weapons, where it puts down a solid line of ink in front of you (with a larger blob at the end, if fired correctly, of course). If you fire in a way similar to how you would with one of those weapons, not firing from the same spot but strafing, you'll actually get a lot better ink coverage.

If you can help it, you always want to shoot at an even straight forward trajectory with this weapon, because unless the ink bubble hits the ground first, you'll get a straight line covering all ground between you and the explosion, even if you're high above the ground. Also, if you're too close to something, you'll only get a relatively small spot of ink on it, which is troublesome if you're trying to scale the terrain to get the height advantage- it can take longer than it needs to to create a wall path.

But, in exchange for the downsides of this weapon, you gain a weapon that from the proper distance, can hit and kill clustered foes, people hiding behind walls or on sniper perches from below, simply by blowing them away with the explosion. Multiple times, i was able to shoot upwards without being able to see the opponent, and kill them before they knew they were being attacked, since the explosion, even if they're outside the range of the critical, will still kill in two hits.

The debatable aspects of the set come from it's Disrupter sub weapon and Killer Wail super weapon- since neither puts ink down. The Disrupter is somewhat more useful in Splat Zone where you might be able to get multiple foes caught together since they're likely to bunch up more anyway. It basically makes them move like they're stuck in enemy ink no matter what for a while. You can throw one out, catch people off guard from their movement change and get a kill unawares, or use it to shut down a roller that nearly sneaked up on you, buying you distance.

Killer wail is generally only useful for area denial for a few seconds, forcing enemies to move or die, but i feel like opportunities where it'd make a huge difference are few and far between.

It's definitely sub-optimal for turf war, BUT i did manage to get some first place wins with it, with inventive and PRAGMATIC use of ink coverage- so it's definitely still possible to do well ink turf war with it... and it's kill power is immense. It truly shines in Splat Zones, where it can ink the box quickly, do to it's good coverage in a small area, and it's great killing potential and suppression power against foes in cover.

It's an unorthodox weapon with some flaws, but an incredibly satisfying and useful weapon to have on a team, i've found.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, this weapon is AMAZING for splat zone. The lack of inking capabilities doesn't matter as much when only having to deal with one specific area. Being able to kill foes in one hit though is very good. Especially being able to take out multiple at a team. The ink from their deaths and from your team should be enough for the zone.

Can't say I like the disruptor that much though. It seems to keep getting caught on something so it activates before it lands at the destination I chose.

SylemG

Inkster Jr.
Can't say I like the disruptor that much though. It seems to keep getting caught on something so it activates before it lands at the destination I chose.
I feel like perhaps the disrupter costs too much ink for it's effect. It uses up what feels like 80% of your tank, doesn't put down any ink, and disrupts enemies for maybe 8 seconds?(total guess, haven't checked for certain, take this with a humongous grain of salt.) I've landed it but i feel like it's difficult to take full advantage of it without aggressive teammates around to go in and sweep up, because you use a lot of ink throwing it, already.

IsmaR

was tentacles all along
Super Moderator
The Disruptor is the crux of the standard set. If you aren't constantly using it (especially while jumping to increase its range), you aren't playing efficiently.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Ohhh I see, I see, it's closer to a charger than a standard shooter, that's super interesting! I really love the weapon variety, I hope something like the blaster puts an end to the reign of Aerosprays.

thefro

Full Squid
The blaster is a hard counter to people sniping or camping from a perch on a lot of the maps in Splat Zones.

Got 16 kills to 1 death in ranked mode with it in one match on Saltspray Rig (granted it was against C-ranks).

Your opponent is also nearly a sitting duck if you get them with a disrupter.

Eiron

Inkling
NNID
Bomolochus
Everyone who's posted above is absolutely right: this thing is amazing in Splat Zone. I went on a six game rampage earlier today in a dedicated anti-sniper and area denial role. The Blaster's splash damage means you can effectively shoot around corners, and I was constantly getting kills by running below Chargers and sending fireworks up into their faces.

The constant mid air explosions are also great for bottling up choke points once your team controls the center, and I spent a good chunk of my matches just pinning people behind obstacles.

Totho

Inkling
NNID
Master_Totho
It can be alright in turf wars, but you're never going to put the ink down that a Roller or Aerospray can. As started though, in splat zones it really shines. It brings the pain and keeps the enemy scattered. On a map like Walleye Warehouse you can be an absolute menace to the opposing team. I just wish it had a set with the Disruptor and the Bubbler together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom