Camping Tales - How long is it appropriate to wait for a splat?

chazu

Inkling
NNID
gossamersocks
Every squid has been there - rolling along peacefully when suddenly: SPLOOT~~~=> Some ninja pops out and splats you without a single ripple in the ink.

To what extent is camping/ninjutsu like this a feasible strategy for you guys? It seems counter-intuitive for a game where rounds are so short, but I imagine with a little battlefield awareness and good knowledge of the maps it's probably possible to get splats this way without wasting too much time camping. What do you say?

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I think it's a perfectly legitimate approach, and Splatoon really lends itself to camping. But on the whole it's not for me (though I certainly do it occasionally). The way that I play stems from my experience of 90s shooters - DOOM, and Quake/2/3 mostly, and camping tended to be frowned upon in those games, since gameplay was so centred around speed and movement, and decent maps were designed to minimise camping opportunities. For that reason camping doesn't come naturally to me, and I don't find it very fun. Still, I tend to think I'm an idiot when I get splatted by a camper, rather than thinking the camper is a poor player, or some such.

I do think it's easy to waste a lot time camping though. Hilariously, I've encountered several players who catch me by camping - say, behind the first big crate on Walleye - but then go back to hiding in the exact same place, which of course I see on the splat cam; it's then a matter of taking a different route around and splatting them like sitting ducks.

Ars Nova

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
creed32
Switch Friend Code
SW-5634-9921-9888
I don't tend to wait long for camping as I like to keep moving. Only if I am playing with the splat roller do I like to camp other players.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
Camping feasibility depends on weapons and positioning of the player in my book. If you're near enemy spawn, camping for any amount of time seems reasonable, as you could end up splatting two or even three inklings before being caught!

If you're in a remote , seldom used location however, maybe camping isn't the best idea... xD

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
You can always check the map to see where the enemy is, how´s the match going and then decide if it´s a good idea to camp somewhere or not. For example, I sometimes camp near the enemy flood gates in the Camp (both in front of the spawn in Tower Control or in the separate part on the left in Splat Zones), both are good locations where you can usually get a lot of action, defend important places (the splatzone or shooting locations for the tower) and don´t waste much time just waiting.

E-Liter Elite

Senior Squid
NNID
DroseraC
It totally depends on your team and what's going on on the map.

You can wait for as long as you like if you're not needed elsewhere. I had some Turf War games the other night where we had total control over 90% of the map, and there wasn't a need to do anything but cut them off while leaving their base.

But other games I've played against people who were camping our spawn while an ally rode the tower in to their base. That's when you SHOULDN'T because no matter how many splats you get you're still losing.

But there's no normal time limit. If you're not needed to be doing something else, keeping one or two of their players from messing with your team is a great use of time.

florence

Full Squid
usually, if i think someone is about to come out, i'll wait a few seconds--if they don't come, i'll move on. unless i'm in ranked, that's another case.

Power

Inkling Commander
Port Mack, easy camping and you can still move around a lot protecting each escape route. It gets pretty obvious where they are coming from. If you use a charger, it may be best to charge a shot before peeking out and exposing yourself.

Hitzel

Inkling Commander
NNID
Hitzel
There is no "ethical" issue when it comes to camping, so the amount of time that is good to camp depends on the strategy involved in a specific situation. A good few maps in this game are designed for players to camp pretty much all game, and if that's what makes you win then that's what you do.

Sethy

Inkling
NNID
TySeanCat
If it's ranked, i'll camp wherever I know someones coming and normally they just od and pow splat- while the rest of my team just goes does the defending.

Regular turf war, i'm roller, and with bombs I have my way of "quick camping" if you will. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom