• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Classic Squiffer: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Classic Squiffer

Lv Unlocked:
Lv. 6

Cost:

Shop Description:
"A charger equipped with a miniaturized ink compression tank. The charge time is short, but it still packs a serious punch. The range leaves a little to be desired."

Type:
Charger

Stats:
Range: Mid
Charge Speed: High - Mid
Mobility: Mid

Sub:
Point Sensor

Special:
Bubbler

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Classic Squiffer.

Last edited:

Snacks

Inkling
NNID
Snacks
I like the squiff better than the standard charger, the fast charge time is more forgiving and the lower range isn't too noticeable. It's like a more offensive charger, which is good since the standard charger feels too passive.

I personally like the version that comes with the splat mine more though, mines are really useful since you can protect your blindspot in case a roller wants to sneak up from behind, and also putting them around corners where you know someone will come has been an almost guaranteed kill every time for me. The point sensor is nice but whenever I hit someone with it they usually just swim away to find new ground to cover. Bubbler is a good ability but I don't find it terribly useful on a charger, if you are in a spot where you need to use it that usually means the enemy is right up close to you, and close range shots can be hard to hit if they swim around you. Inkzooka from the new squiffer on the other hand is nice because it makes up for the squiffers lower range, though I would still rather have something like a kraken.

Overall I like the squiffer as a weapon, but I feel classic squiffer is outclassed by new squiffer, though I'm sure any good charger player can do well with either loadout.

hellotherekyle

Inkling
NNID
kap10kyle
I am seriously in love with this weapon. Something about it is so satisfying when paired with the gyro controls. It's perfect!

h.JC

Inkster Jr.
I decided to try this out today because of the Bubbler, but was finding it lacking. I tried to use the top of Skatepark and the sides of Mall to shoot people around the center, but it seemed like the weapon's range wasn't enough for that? I was even losing exchanges along the small side corridors of the Mall because I couldn't reach them with a fully charged shot, allowing them to get in close. The lack of turning mobility was a problem as well.

If somebody could tell me I'm just being bad, that would be nice.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
Read my thread I linked above.
The top of Skatepark is a terrible spot for a charger weapon, it's too easy to get flanked.

Btw the squiffer works well i ranked matches.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I personally like using the squiffer if I am feeling like ambushing players. Its range plus how fast you can fully charge the shot take people by surprise more often than not.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Bubbler on a charger is interesting but I don't think it's a good fit for turfs wars, and the point sensor just feels useless. Ultimately a Classic Squiffer will have to play offensive and rely on the Bubbler and dump slots on special related perks (namely saver since you'll end up dying a lot), while the New Squiffer can play defense and utilize both it's sub and special, although it's special is much worse.

Splat zones on the other hand, the Bubbler is great because you're constantly bumping up with the enemy and can easily pass it to your teammates. The New Squiffer's mines are still useful, but the Inkzooka is completely outclassed by the Bubbler. Either would be a good pick.

Kosaki

Pro Squid
NNID
Kosaki-0
No way! The point sensor is extremely good imo
I agree, recently put some work on the Classic Squiffer set, over the New Squiffer one that I long preferred since the beginning.
Shield is not that great on its own with the Squiffer, but it's still really great for teamplay.
Point sensors are great to throw when you know you don't have the upper hand on an upcoming fight, it also doesn't burn a lot of ink. It lasts a decent amount of time, not considering the Cold-blooded ability. Great tool to counter Squid Ninja. It's even good just for the safe of scouting. Plus, everyone in your team can see who is being spotted by the point sensor.

Last edited:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
this has become my weapon of choice after i moved on from the new squiffer. love the point sensor for this.

Power

Inkling Commander
I would like to revive this thread to continue discussion about the squiffer, as I feel it has good potential. I have some observations and questions after trying it out today in ranked.
-Aiming has got to be the priority with this weapon. If you have a killer aim, this can be very deadly. I didn't have much success with it because my aim is pretty garbage at the moment, although I would like to change that.
-As we all know, bubbler is always good for charging in with your mates. I feel this was the best way to contribute to my team as I missed shot after shot.
-I am not quite sure how exactly I should play the classic squiffer. Should i stick around 1 teammate and be behind the frontlines?
-I was wondering whether bomb range up would be good for the tracking sensor
-Escaping with this weapon can be pretty easy, even without the bubbler. Either that or I played people who can not aim.

Is there anyway to improve aiming? my shot seems to have died for some reason and it is downright terrible at the moment. It would be interesting to hear some tips from high ranking Squiffer users.

Manta

Senior Squid
the Inkzooka is completely outclassed by the Bubbler.
lol no, the Inkzooka is the best in the game, it's essentially an e-liter 3k without the charge time and has verticality to boot. I've easily stopped blubbers by just pinballing them with my teammate making their aim crap and giving us a free kill.

edit: the E-liter's range is 7.2 with a full charge, the Inkzooka has a range of 7.

Power

Inkling Commander
lol no, the Inkzooka is the best in the game, it's essentially an e-liter 3k without the charge time and has verticality to boot. I've easily stopped blubbers by just pinballing them with my teammate making their aim crap and giving us a free kill.
Agreed. Bubbler's can only truly be dangerous is if it is coordinated with a team. It's success is much more situational than the inkzooka and the inkzooka still outclasses it. While this may be true I prefer the classic squiffer , as I do not really want to use ink mines.Tracking sensor is much better and helps fit into the mold of a support better than the offensive version of the squiffer (which if you are going to be focused on offense it may be best to choose another weapon)

Edit (Again):
After playing a couple of matches in moray towers ranked. I feel as if the squiffer is not so good in this map. It may have been due to my terrible aim, but I could not do anything at all compared to other maps such as walleye. Just a minor observation that needs further evidence.

Last edited:

Power

Inkling Commander
After climbing through A rank rooms today (I know not the best competition, but my game has been off the past week) I am reaffirmed that people are sleeping too much on this weapon. I have had many matches with insane K/D's like 16-2 and was able to carry and defend the point in tower (something I never do much with chargers). I have found how to make the sqiuffer much more effective in Moray, dealing with attacking from ramp ledges and waiting for the enemy to drop down on any ledge for an easy snipe. Bubbler as established is a life saver, and the squiffer's versatility allows it to have a chance against most weapons. It sounds like I am repeating what is already known, but I just want others to become aware of the squiff's potential.

Ber

Full Squid
NNID
Bernee
It's already said but I'll say it again, I love how:pointsensor: works with this weapon, while the charge time is short it's still there so you can't just run into an area blindly and :pointsensor: takes care of that and it's also great against people that try to get closer with :ability_ninjasquid:

sammich

Inkling Cadet
i keep hearing people say that new squiffer is better... but i just can't see how? of every squiffer I've fought against online, all the good ones have been classic (which i use), using the point sensor to capitalize on the squiffer's explorative abilities.

the one thing that gets me is the bubbler... it's nice as a way to run away when confronted with more than you bargained for, but it feels wasted on the squiffer, like something else would be better...

Power

Inkling Commander
i keep hearing people say that new squiffer is better... but i just can't see how? of every squiffer I've fought against online, all the good ones have been classic (which i use), using the point sensor to capitalize on the squiffer's explorative abilities.

the one thing that gets me is the bubbler... it's nice as a way to run away when confronted with more than you bargained for, but it feels wasted on the squiffer, like something else would be better...
Bubbler has saved me many times, I haven't thought about what else would work on a squiffer. Ink wall? Any bomb rush? Kraken? nope Inkstrike, nope. and zooka is decent.
People probably like the New over classic because of the inkzooka. I do not think that mines are a good tradeoff (pretty below average sub imo)

sammich

Inkling Cadet
Bubbler has saved me many times, I haven't thought about what else would work on a squiffer. Ink wall? Any bomb rush? Kraken? nope Inkstrike, nope. and zooka is decent.
People probably like the New over classic because of the inkzooka. I do not think that mines are a good tradeoff (pretty below average sub imo)
agree about the mines. with the amount of movement the squiffer is capable of, it feels not very useful. i always finding myself wanting something that can put pressure on people hiding behind objects or below me, and the mine doesn't really do that unless they're dumb enough to rush me. maybe if it were a burst bomb or something.

maybe bomb rush could make a decent special for the squiffer? the ability to storm multiple players and secure an area in one fell swoop would be cool. that's what i thought the bubbler was for before i realized that only works with machine guns.

jubilee

Inkling
I actually main the New Squiffer, and really enjoy using the ink mines. They're really good for aiding in your defence in many ways (for example when my team can't cover all entrances for whatever reason, I drop an ink mine at one entrance and go to aid at the main choke point, or when someone's chasing me I drop one(and it works quite often), or just when sure death approaches and I've got nothing better to do, I drop one and every now and then get the revenge kill.)

Since you're using a charger, everyone wants to avoid your aimer as much as possible, and this way you can "force" them to go the way where the mine is hidden. The mine also works wonders in Tower Control (when set up on the tower) for obvious reasons. Sometimes, when there are enemies on the tower, I just get up there, drop a mine, and immediately jump off. This works quite often because they're not expecting you to come on the tower(since you're at a disadvantage at close range) and they're not expecting there to be a mine, since that's usually only the case when you've gotten the tower from the opposite team's control.

In Splat Zones specifically, you can set the mine to the zone for a possible suprise kill or at least to spread some ink if the opposing team is starting to gain control of the zone. But, overall, the mine works well in all choke points.

Also, everyone knows how good the inkzooka is (and the nerf that it's getting is well deserved). This is the fastest way to get rid of multiple opponents for the Squiffer, and is the only saving grace against longer ranged chargers and the Jet Squelcher, and can really help with tough, long-ranged fights.

I know that the point sensor must be really good, since that really complements the abilites of the Squiffer as the main weapon. The bubbler is probably really good for tough close range situations, and for a team push. ...maybe I should try that setup more often? But anyhow, I do enjoy the set of weapons the New Squiffer has and I don't feel that they are lacking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom