• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Clearing up Misconceptions about LAN - Mode

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Hey guys,

I've seen it a lot on this forums that a lot of people say that Splatoon has a ****ty LAN-Mode which in essence is flat out wrong. Yes Splatoon does have a ****ty netcode that has nothing to do with LAN though. Also since Nintendo showed off how to play on LAN there's been more and more false information floating around from people who don't know what a switch, router or even WiFi (-in essence) is.

Let me start by giving you an overview of the networking components needed.
  • Modem: This is a device that more or less translates IP traffic to be sent over the medium that your internet connection uses i.e: telephone line, coaxial cable, fiber (although in this case it wouldn't be a modem but a media-converter). For consumers at home this is often integrated into the router.
  • Private an public IP-Addresses: All your networking enabled devices have an IP-Address! The problem is that there's not enough IP-Addresses provided by version 4 of the internet protocol (IP) for every device in the world to have one unique IP-Address because it's only a number with 32-Bit length (2^32 possible combinations). To get around this issue three private IP-Address ranges have been defined (10.0.0.1 to 10.255.255.254, 172.16.0.1 to 172.31.255.254. and 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.255.254).
  • Router: A router is important because your devices will only be able to directly communicate with other device if they're in the same subnet. If you have a private IP-Net of 192.168.1.0/24 your devices will only be able to communicate with devices that have an IP-Address of 192.168.1.x . Every other communication will have to go through the router as it knows the routes the next device to talk to if you want to reach a device in a different network (in your home that would be the internet). Since there can be millions of private 192.168.1.0/24 networks in the world the router uses a method called Network Address Translation (NAT) that enables your private IP-Net to talk to the outside world, to do this it swaps out source and destination IP-Addresses of all outgoing and incoming traffic to your home network to make it look like it's your only device. Thereby we are able to get around the issue of not having enough IPv4 addresses. Your router will be able to simultaneously manage thousands of connections as a single connection will always have to have IP-Address and port number specified. There is a total of 65,536 ports available.
  • Switches: Communication within the same subnet does not work by IP but by MAC-Addresses. Switches will keep a MAC-Adress table to create a point to point connection for every device on your LAN. These devices can only be used within the same network.
  • WiFi (or more correctly WLAN): Is nothing more but a way to connect to you LAN wirelessly, communication wise it does not make a difference whether devices are connected though WLAN or wired connections if they're within the same IP-Net. An access-point can more or less be seen as a switch for wireless access. The access-point will most likely be integrated into your router in home networks.When using Ethernet adapters for all Wii Us an access-point or access to the internet via WLAN is not needed.
In the case of Splatoon Nintendo servers act as sort of connection brokers to give every Wii U that wants to participate in the same game the connection information of all other Wii U in that game. As described earlier this would be a public IP-Address.
If you want to run a LAN game you will still have to use Nintendo servers as the connection broker, this is the reason you still need an internet connection. Since the server will only know your Public IP-Addresses and ports players should connect to, every Wii U that wants to participate in the game would have the same IP-Address but different ports, these will be translated to private IP-Adresses in your router. Once the game starts Nintendo servers are out of the loop until the results get reported. The other difference to a traditional LAN setup is that Wii Us will communicate though public IP-Addresses as opposed to private ones. As I mentioned earlier your Wii Us cannot communicate directly with one another like this because the IP-Addresses will be outside of their private IP-Net, this is not too bad though because your router will basically send the information to itself which will amount to a near immeasurable amount of additional latency. Check the picture below to see the actual difference.
Screen Shot 2015-12-12 at 17.41.55.png

During the first round of pings I used my public IP-Address, which was redacted, during the second round I used the private IP-Address of my router. As you can see the difference is about 0.2ms. I'd be hard pressed to say that it's what is to be expected though because when there's a bit of traffic to go around the latency within your LAN will oftentimes exceed 1ms-2ms.

I hope this thread clears some things up, if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you want to run a LAN event I can also help you select proper compenents and explain how to set everything up.

Last edited:

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
I hope this thread clears some things up, if you have any questions feel free to ask. If you want to run a LAN event I can also help you select proper compenents and explain how to set everything up.
Oh! I want to run one! I've already listed the stuff I may need in the thread you found me at (lan adapters, ethernet switch, ethernet cords). Is there anything else I may need?

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Oh! I want to run one! I've already listed the stuff I may need in the thread you found me at (lan adapters, ethernet switch, ethernet cords). Is there anything else I may need?
here's the list of what I think is neccessary to run a proper LAN tournament, I also posted this in your thread. The Raspberry Pis are obviously optional but IMO participating teams will love you for them.

• get 8 pc monitors with HDMI or use HDMI -> DVI cables (they work well)
  • if you wanna connect the Wii Us to the switch you must not forget ethernet adapters
  • all communication between Wii Us will have to go through your router. I'd make sure you don't have a lousy one although it should still work fine
  • In a perfect world each player would also have a raspberry pi with a wolfson audio card available to him/her to mix game audio and voice chat (probably mumble because thtat's the easiest to handle on linux). that would also mean you need a murmur server in that network.
  • with 8 Wii Us + 8 Raspberry Pis + murmur server + router uplink you need a switch with at least 18 ports. 100mbit switches are enough as both Wii U and Raspberry pi only have 100mbit ethernet interfaces.
  • have everyone bring their own Wii Us because of gear (also I wouldn't want to have to share my gamepad with other people, these things are expensive to get repaired)

good luck ;)

WydrA

Inkling Commander
here's the list of what I think is neccessary to run a proper LAN tournament, I also posted this in your thread. The Raspberry Pis are obviously optional but IMO participating teams will love you for them.

• get 8 pc monitors with HDMI or use HDMI -> DVI cables (they work well)
  • if you wanna connect the Wii Us to the switch you must not forget ethernet adapters
  • all communication between Wii Us will have to go through your router. I'd make sure you don't have a lousy one although it should still work fine
  • In a perfect world each player would also have a raspberry pi with a wolfson audio card available to him/her to mix game audio and voice chat (probably mumble because thtat's the easiest to handle on linux). that would also mean you need a murmur server in that network.
  • with 8 Wii Us + 8 Raspberry Pis + murmur server + router uplink you need a switch with at least 18 ports. 100mbit switches are enough as both Wii U and Raspberry pi only have 100mbit ethernet interfaces.
  • have everyone bring their own Wii Us because of gear (also I wouldn't want to have to share my gamepad with other people, these things are expensive to get repaired)
good luck ;)
You should tag a mod. this deserves to be pinned at least until the misconceptions are cleared up. Said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again, great job man. this is good stuff :D

J.E. Rodríguez

Inkling
NNID
JoSeDu27
We need people to read this, this would get more people to make local tournaments, which would help the community grow

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom