Covering Small Ground without a Weapon

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Does ground with your colour of ink have small 'holes' (holes being small, insignificant areas of uncovered turf by your team colour) in it? Well there is a way to cover just measly amounts of ink which is pretty fast and doesn't require using a weapon but simply by using squid form. I don't know if this can be considered a 'tech'. That is up you guys to decide (as well as a name).

So here's what you do:
  1. Squid up to the area that has a few small spots of uncovered ink and get right on top of it.
  2. Get out of squid form
  3. Immediately return back to squid form
What will happen is that the ripple from returning into a squid and submerging into your colour will in fact push some of that ink onto the small hole. Mashing the squid button on these holes can eliminate them.

Lets go over the perks of it:
  • You don't waste ink since it doesn't use a weapon
  • It is the fastest option to cover them albeit slightly because your not stuck in just the few frames of lag it takes to fire ink
  • Can work on either uncovered turf or opposition's colour of ink
Weaknesses:
  • Very low range, has to be right on top of the hole
  • It slows down your movement slightly
  • Potentially gives away your position to the opposing side
In the long run, it won't be that helpful to the cause but it may just give you an added 1%. It works best when the holes are in the direction you are going. If they are too far away, it's probably not worth it and faster just to splat it anyway.

What do you guys think about this?

Terabyte

Inkling Commander
NNID
PokeBoy99
I've noticed this before. I just question if it'd even be worth it, I doubt it gives any points or changes the final percent any. But hey, I guess as long as you get as much turf as you can. :P

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
i noticed this when trying to force myself to squid onto a wall. i would watch the ink connect as i kept jumping up against it.

it does seem useless however

JuddTheCat

Inkling Cadet
I find it better to just shoot the ramp in a straight line to avoid the tiny holes. Especially if the one of the enemies are trying to shoot you while going up.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I wouldn't call it useless. If there is just a small hole in your way then it can be fixed easily and fastly this way. I don't mean that you should actually go looking for these small holes but rather whenever you get the chance and it isn't such a big commitment. It won't make much of a difference but it might just give you that extra % in the long run.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
How about ink as much of your base as possible and when you respawn throw Burst Bombs as you're swimming?
This way you won't lose momentum and you're recharging ink as you move back to the frontlines.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
It won't matter terribly if you don't use it. These are minuscule holes and not necessarily near the spawn point. Some people may not have a bomb sub weapon anyway so this might just be a nice alternative. Besides the draw backs from it are not that big and can make the area less inconsistent the fastest way possible if its in your path. That's really what I'm getting at here. It gives you the chance to make your area that you covered more consistent. Again, using it will not dramatically raise your score but I don't see why not to use it.

D

Deleted Member

Spending time covering tiny holes is a waste of time as you could kill enemies and spread much larger amounts of ink pushing them back in the same time.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Spending time covering tiny holes is a waste of time as you could kill enemies and spread much larger amounts of ink pushing them back in the same time.
Except it takes hardly any time. It takes less than a second to get out and in of squid form which is all you need. I'm not saying that you should be committing too much these holes but rather if it is in your way. That way your not wasting any time. These holes may be insignificant but leaving them is kind of a waste especially if they can be dealt with quickly and easily.

Saturn

LFT mid range, former xlt
NNID
Saturnity
Switch Friend Code
SW-7252-9309-8314
Firing a single shot with a .96 gal makes four splatmarks on the ground that are all larger than squid splahing. It really is a waste of time. Ink isn't so hard to regenerate that you need to conserve a shot or two.

It's like grass in animal crossing. The point of splash ink is to cover up small holes as people swim through them. Stopping just to splash around defeats the purpose. Even worse is actually swimming to each hole. Don't waste time running around when you can just shoot.

Last edited:

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Firing a single shot with a .96 gal makes four splatmarks on the ground that are all larger than squid splahing. It really is a waste of time. Ink isn't so hard to regenerate that you need to conserve a shot or two.

It's like grass in animal crossing. The point of splash ink is to cover up small holes as people swim through them. Stopping just to splash around defeats the purpose. Even worse is actually swimming to each hole. Don't waste time running around when you can just shoot.
Listen to me here. Don't bother Squid Splashing (cool name BTW) the ones that are out of the way. That much waste of time. If there is a hole that is in the direction you are taking that's when you do it. It is the fastest way to cover them. The .96 gal really can't compare because of it crappy fire rate. Stopping to splat the holes is just slower than it would take to Squid splash them. That is the why Squid Splashing is better than regularly splatting the holes. Yes, at first glance it seems underwhelming but it is certainly not useless. The speed of it is a clear advantage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom