• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom E-Liter 3K Scope: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Well, for players who prefer the Custom E-Liter 3K's loadout but enjoy using scopes also, here's the weapon that combines them! The Custom E-Liter 3K Scope; goodness that's a mouthful. Anyways, its name is self explanitory; the E-Liter 3K Scope with the Custom E-Liter 3K's sub, special, and customized look. Like all other scoped snipers, this trades slight mobility and a lack of tunnel vision that the scope has for easier aim and a little bit more range.

Shop Description: The Custom E-Liter 3K Scope is a Custom E-Liter 3K with an added scope for long distance aiming. It's great for hitting far-off targets, but your view is narrow while charging, so careful where you use it!

Shop Cost: 22,600

Sub Weapon: Squid Beakon

Special Weapon: Kraken

So, with all of that ado out of the way, please leave your thoughts on the Custom E-Liter 3K Scope.

Scones

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Shcones
Well it's another custom e-liter with a scope. Has a bit longer range but overall the other loadout for the e-liter is more versatile. Kraken can save you when an enemy gets close but burst bombs do that job and don't require your special charge. Granted, the kraken is better when you have it but you are so much more vulnerable than the standard loadout if your special isn't up. Squid beacons are just a bad sub for e-liters because with the crazy range you are basically a walking jump point anyway. Also Echo is perfect for chargers.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I tried this weapon out last night also, the one I tried out first, and its definitely my prefered of the two weapons released tonight. Because, one thing be clear, I love the completely standard version of this weapon. I love its long range, I love its Burst Bombs and Echolocator, I love sniping with it and turfing with it (yes, I go E-Liter 3K in Turf Wars. Don't judge). But I never liked any of its varients. While Squid Beakons are very useful in this loadout and a great way to support both myself and the team, I always thought that the Kraken on the Custom E-Liter 3K never worked with the weapon. Sure, it gives it a close range option other than its short charges, but its a very selective close range option and my main gripe is, one is very vulerable after using the Kraken with this weapon, since it is its only close range tool of inking. Very few times did I survive after using this weapon in the prescence of surviving enemy team members. And as for the E-Liter 3K Scope, well, even though it had my prefered loadout, I still don't like scopes and I find they disorient me. Plus the tunnel vision always gets me nervous, as I'm one of those snipers that tends to get backdoored a lot, so I prefer having the side vision while aiming so I can know if I need to escape. And, well, this weapon kind of combined the additions to the E-Liter 3K that I don't prefer but gives them to people who do prefer them. Do I see how people will play this weapon? Oh yes. And I'm sure tons of people will. It's one of the more supportive snipers but still does its job. And I had some good fun with this weapon myself, considering that I use the main weapon so often. But, for me, personally, I'll be sticking with the normal setup of the E-Liter 3Ks.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
Its just a defensive e-litre honestly
nothing big nothing less
could use kraken when you get flanked or so hell maybe for tower control

2xDair

Full Squid
NNID
Elecrogelion
I'll just copy-paste what I posted earlier on another site.

"I honestly feel that the custom is just an inferior version of the E-Liter. I like using the default variety, but the custom's sub and special are worse IMO. Squid Beakons are pretty bad; super jumping is a risky proposition to begin with and you show your position to the other team the moment you plant a Beakon (granted it's not a big deal if you don't stick in that vicinity). In fact, I think the Beakons are mostly useless outside of Tower control where they can be used as a kind of shield to absorb a few hits. The burst bombs on the default E-Liter are a great way to deal with close-range opponents when you can't afford the time to charge a shot and is faster than uncharged shots. The Kraken as a special is very situational; It's great if you are near a group of opponents since they can be easily dispatched, but if there are opponents still around then you need to use half of your invincibility time to get back into your ink (or it can be used simply as a panic button). The echolocater on the other hand is fantastic for the default E-Liter since it reveals the positions of all enemies, making it easier to charge a shot and wait for them to move into an unsafe position. It also assists your teammates (obviously), but unfortunately does very little to anyone running cold-blooded as one of their perks.

I appreciate the effort to give both versions scopes, but I think I'll stick with my default E-Liter 3K Scope."

Sorry for the wall of text.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801

"I honestly feel that the custom is just an inferior version of the E-Liter. I like using the default variety, but the custom's sub and special are worse IMO. Squid Beakons are pretty bad; super jumping is a risky proposition to begin with and you show your position to the other team the moment you plant a Beakon (granted it's not a big deal if you don't stick in that vicinity). In fact, I think the Beakons are mostly useless outside of Tower control where they can be used as a kind of shield to absorb a few hits. The burst bombs on the default E-Liter are a great way to deal with close-range opponents when you can't afford the time to charge a shot and is faster than uncharged shots. The Kraken as a special is very situational; It's great if you are near a group of opponents since they can be easily dispatched, but if there are opponents still around then you need to use half of your invincibility time to get back into your ink (or it can be used simply as a panic button). The echolocater on the other hand is fantastic for the default E-Liter since it reveals the positions of all enemies, making it easier to charge a shot and wait for them to move into an unsafe position. It also assists your teammates (obviously), but unfortunately does very little to anyone running cold-blooded as one of their perks.

I appreciate the effort to give both versions scopes, but I think I'll stick with my default E-Liter 3K Scope."

No problem. Squid Beakons are a lot better when teaming up with friends. Not so much in solo queue because teams don't often utilize them (although personally when I was playing with this weapon on Friday night my teamates WERE using them, but I digress).

What sort of abilities would work for this thing by the way? I was thinking the typical Damage Up, Ink Saver (Main), and Ink Refill Uo for all E-Liters, but any perks for the special weapon (Special Charge Up, Special Duration Up, Special Saver) would all work really well with the Kraken here. Also Ink Saver (Sub), since Squid Beakons take up so much ink.

2xDair

Full Squid
NNID
Elecrogelion
No problem. Squid Beakons are a lot better when teaming up with friends. Not so much in solo queue because teams don't often utilize them (although personally when I was playing with this weapon on Friday night my teamates WERE using them, but I digress).

What sort of abilities would work for this thing by the way? I was thinking the typical Damage Up, Ink Saver (Main), and Ink Refill Uo for all E-Liters, but any perks for the special weapon (Special Charge Up, Special Duration Up, Special Saver) would all work really well with the Kraken here. Also Ink Saver (Sub), since Squid Beakons take up so much ink.
Ink saver is going to be a staple as with most chargers (excluding squiffers), and I can definitely see the benefits of using Special duration up to make that Kraken even better; the one thing that going to make damage up less useful though is actually the exclusion of burst bombs. Damage ups had the side effect of powering up the explosion of burst bombs (the aoe, not direct hit) but it will only be good for reducing charge time on the custom. It might be better to run other abilities as replacements for some of the damage ups? Just speculating, as I have not had the chance to test the new E-Liter.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Ink saver is going to be a staple as with most chargers (excluding squiffers), and I can definitely see the benefits of using Special duration up to make that Kraken even better; the one thing that going to make damage up less useful though is actually the exclusion of burst bombs. Damage ups had the side effect of powering up the explosion of burst bombs (the aoe, not direct hit) but it will only be good for reducing charge time on the custom. It might be better to run other abilities as replacements for some of the damage ups? Just speculating, as I have not had the chance to test the new E-Liter.
Well, New Squiffers should probably stack Ink Saver (Sub)s since Inkmines consume a ton of ink. But anyways, Damage Up is still quite powerful on the Custom E-Liter 3K (Scope) because it actually reduces the amount of charge needed to do damage to someone. So enough Damage Ups can make a half chsrged shot kill, albeit with less range than a full-charged shot. However, it should be set to the side in the custom setup with kore focus on the Kraken, especially Special Duration Up and Special Saver.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
The Kraken gives the e-liter some potent pushing capability. The downsides of this weapon generally make it unsuited for aggressive play (slow charge, ink consumption). While the typical use of panic krakening when in trouble is fine and all, rushing invincibly into enemy territory can not only cause chaos but easily give an opening for your team to get through. And when you're done with your rampage you can just jump back to a beacon in your favourite spot and resume sniping immediately.

LAG

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Lag

Beacons are so underrated. Personally I like running two mains of Super Jump with Custom E3 Liter, since it gives you much more mobility. Kraken is like a hit-and-run tacticin that you can use it to push for a lead, then quickly jump back to snipe points. Beacons can be used as shields on the tower, they assist allies and help you get back into snipe points quickly while the normal E3 has to wait. I'd say Custom has more gear opportunities since you need Damage Ups and Ink Recoveries on vanilla E3 whereas custom can afford Super Jump or special durations or ink savor mains etc.

Echo is hard-countered by cold-blooded, which is pretty standard in the meta right now. Kraken is more effective against users wearing cold blooded imo and can be used as a more reliable push.

I'm not saying vanilla is worse, since it IS better, but Custom isn't so bad either.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Beacons are so underrated. Personally I like running two mains of Super Jump with Custom E3 Liter, since it gives you much more mobility. Kraken is like a hit-and-run tacticin that you can use it to push for a lead, then quickly jump back to snipe points. Beacons can be used as shields on the tower, they assist allies and help you get back into snipe points quickly while the normal E3 has to wait. I'd say Custom has more gear opportunities since you need Damage Ups and Ink Recoveries on vanilla E3 whereas custom can afford Super Jump or special durations or ink savor mains etc.

Echo is hard-countered by cold-blooded, which is pretty standard in the meta right now. Kraken is more effective against users wearing cold blooded imo and can be used as a more reliable push.

I'm not saying vanilla is worse, since it IS better, but Custom isn't so bad either.
I'm about to make a thread on the Custom E-Liter 3K (scopeless), so will you leave your thoughts on the loadout there when it appears?

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
UPDATE: I have realized that people are talking about how this loadout fits the E-Liter in general on this thread, and I later realized that this is likely because there was never an analysis thread on the normal Custom E-Liter 3K in the first place. So to rectify the situation, Inhave now made a thread on it. To talk about the scoped version of this weapon, stay here. To talk about the scopeless version of this weapon or the loadout in general, go here: http://squidboards.com/threads/custom-e-liter-3k-analysis-and-thoughts.13743/

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
So now that more time has passed since these threads I've been playing extensively with all 4 eliters. And I keep coming to conflicting feelings on which to use. At first I liked scopes, then I preferred scopeless. Then I preferred scopes. Then I preferred scopeless. I'm starting to thing it really doesn't matter, I'll perform similarly with either now, so maybe the extra range is worth the loss in mobility? I can't pick!

But my bigger debate is vanilla or custom. I love the burst bombs. If for no other reason, rapidly inking walls to mount platforms is overwhelmingly beneficial, and sorely missed when I'm flinging a dozen uncharged shots to get up a wall with Custom. And I got very used to using bombs offensively between this and carbon roller. But there's a dark side to eliter and burst bombs. It drains you of ink rapidly, and you can't recover from that in a pinch. Worse, if you dismount from the perch and are on the ground, it can be hard to rapidly return to a perch, often leading to SJ back to spawn and traveling there again.

I got used to using my beacons with custom. Jumping between perches is fantastic, and the mobility offered by a hasty retreat lets you press and pursue enemies with little risk since you can jump right back. In some ways, Custom is the more offensive version. Splat bombs can be offensive, but you don't get many, and most of the time when I need them it's after missing a shot and my ink reserves are already too low to use them. While custom does not allow those desperate moments, forcing a full retreat, but also providing a quick exit for high mobility.

Not all maps benefit. Skatepark is pretty hard to use beacons effectively on. Generally if I put them in the side half pipe, if my position is compromised the beacon goes with it, either by inkstrike or by full flank. Piranha, any worthy, safe point to jump to is just as fast to walk as jump. But so many maps like Bridge - inevitably if I take vanilla, I'll wish I had the mobility of custom to quickly get between areas or back up. If I take Custom I'll get cornered and wish I had the CQC ability of the vanilla. I cant choose which to take because moments of each battle will benefit either.

So how does one choose which one to take? Are there secrets to getting onto platforms without burst bombs I'm not familiar with? And how do you use your beacons if your team mates keep using them up on you for no strategic reason at all?

tazz

Inkster Jr.
To say that the regular e liter is better than this weapon is incorrect; they play differently. Both the custom and regular fill the crucial role of sniper, but their kits make them very different in style. The regular supports the team with echolocator and burst bomb pressuring, while the custom supports the team with beacons, which are great for making establishing ink control harder for the opposite team, and having an additional invincibility special, the kraken. Which one of these a team values more is really personal preference. Note that custom e liter gear is often different than regular, as it wants swim speed up and special charge up in addition to ink recovery and cold blooded.

Award

To say that the regular e liter is better than this weapon is incorrect; they play differently. Both the custom and regular fill the crucial role of sniper, but their kits make them very different in style. The regular supports the team with echolocator and burst bomb pressuring, while the custom supports the team with beacons, which are great for making establishing ink control harder for the opposite team, and having an additional invincibility special, the kraken. Which one of these a team values more is really personal preference. Note that custom e liter gear is often different than regular, as it wants swim speed up and special charge up in addition to ink recovery and cold blooded.
It's hard to find people who spend much time with Custom, so that input is valuable. I had slightly different gear for Custom, but you're making me want to pull out my perfect white boots that I forgot about - Quick super jump + perfect ink recovery. I've been using straw boater (quick super jump + 2x ink recovery + spc chg up. I like making the most of super jumping with Custom since that's it's selling point to me more than the kraken. I haven't decided on a body cloth yet. I don't have anything perfect. A few cold blooded items but not with subs that compliment it well. I have a giant hole in my kit for really good swim speed gear still. It's hard to accept the idea of losing all the dmg ups I'm used to though...those quick charges.... Yeah, my kraken isn't very crackin'.

It sounds like you don't play it with too much emphasis on using your own beacons for extended mobility, so you probably won't be able to answer a few questions there. Outside competitive/squad/S+, one can never rely on teammates to use beacons in a reliable way (and with custom I'd rather prefer they didn't use them at all since I'd rather use them for my own mobility! :) ) I like to place beacons near perches and be able to roam on the ground and jump back to snipe, and to jump between separated perches. This also has the advantage of drawing enemy ink strikes to the beacons and away from the chokepoints. The catch of course, is the ink consumption and time to recover from placing a beacon and the split needs: To effectively place the beacons it pays to go to the beacon locations right away and plant them - but by then the perches will be overrun. And I find if I sit at the first perch to hold back attacks, I might often never get a chance to get away and place another beacon in another location if that one is keeping me busy. I'd be curious how others are managing their beacons with this setup.

Custom is an odd beast which makes it interesting. The sheer commonality of vanilla eliter and infrequency of seeing Customs makes me want to get into custom more. Same with the Hydras, I like playing the odd weapons you don't see often. :)

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
It's hard to find people who spend much time with Custom, so that input is valuable. I had slightly different gear for Custom, but you're making me want to pull out my perfect white boots that I forgot about - Quick super jump + perfect ink recovery. I've been using straw boater (quick super jump + 2x ink recovery + spc chg up. I like making the most of super jumping with Custom since that's it's selling point to me more than the kraken. I haven't decided on a body cloth yet. I don't have anything perfect. A few cold blooded items but not with subs that compliment it well. I have a giant hole in my kit for really good swim speed gear still. It's hard to accept the idea of losing all the dmg ups I'm used to though...those quick charges.... Yeah, my kraken isn't very crackin'.

It sounds like you don't play it with too much emphasis on using your own beacons for extended mobility, so you probably won't be able to answer a few questions there. Outside competitive/squad/S+, one can never rely on teammates to use beacons in a reliable way (and with custom I'd rather prefer they didn't use them at all since I'd rather use them for my own mobility! :) ) I like to place beacons near perches and be able to roam on the ground and jump back to snipe, and to jump between separated perches. This also has the advantage of drawing enemy ink strikes to the beacons and away from the chokepoints. The catch of course, is the ink consumption and time to recover from placing a beacon and the split needs: To effectively place the beacons it pays to go to the beacon locations right away and plant them - but by then the perches will be overrun. And I find if I sit at the first perch to hold back attacks, I might often never get a chance to get away and place another beacon in another location if that one is keeping me busy. I'd be curious how others are managing their beacons with this setup.

Custom is an odd beast which makes it interesting. The sheer commonality of vanilla eliter and infrequency of seeing Customs makes me want to get into custom more. Same with the Hydras, I like playing the odd weapons you don't see often. :)
So now that more time has passed since these threads I've been playing extensively with all 4 eliters. And I keep coming to conflicting feelings on which to use. At first I liked scopes, then I preferred scopeless. Then I preferred scopes. Then I preferred scopeless. I'm starting to thing it really doesn't matter, I'll perform similarly with either now, so maybe the extra range is worth the loss in mobility? I can't pick!

But my bigger debate is vanilla or custom. I love the burst bombs. If for no other reason, rapidly inking walls to mount platforms is overwhelmingly beneficial, and sorely missed when I'm flinging a dozen uncharged shots to get up a wall with Custom. And I got very used to using bombs offensively between this and carbon roller. But there's a dark side to eliter and burst bombs. It drains you of ink rapidly, and you can't recover from that in a pinch. Worse, if you dismount from the perch and are on the ground, it can be hard to rapidly return to a perch, often leading to SJ back to spawn and traveling there again.

I got used to using my beacons with custom. Jumping between perches is fantastic, and the mobility offered by a hasty retreat lets you press and pursue enemies with little risk since you can jump right back. In some ways, Custom is the more offensive version. Splat bombs can be offensive, but you don't get many, and most of the time when I need them it's after missing a shot and my ink reserves are already too low to use them. While custom does not allow those desperate moments, forcing a full retreat, but also providing a quick exit for high mobility.

Not all maps benefit. Skatepark is pretty hard to use beacons effectively on. Generally if I put them in the side half pipe, if my position is compromised the beacon goes with it, either by inkstrike or by full flank. Piranha, any worthy, safe point to jump to is just as fast to walk as jump. But so many maps like Bridge - inevitably if I take vanilla, I'll wish I had the mobility of custom to quickly get between areas or back up. If I take Custom I'll get cornered and wish I had the CQC ability of the vanilla. I cant choose which to take because moments of each battle will benefit either.

So how does one choose which one to take? Are there secrets to getting onto platforms without burst bombs I'm not familiar with? And how do you use your beacons if your team mates keep using them up on you for no strategic reason at all?
All of this would best be discussed in the normal (scopeless) Custom E-Liter 3K thread, for this is for noting how the loadout works with the scope. However, for placing Squid Beakons on this particular loadout, I will say this: Unlike the scopeless version, Beakons should ALWAYS be placed in defensive locations, because this weapon itself is one of the most defnesive weapons in the game, if only because of the tunnel vision of the scope. Keep the Beakons to strategic locations within the home turf.

Award

All of this would best be discussed in the normal (scopeless) Custom E-Liter 3K thread, for this is for noting how the loadout works with the scope. However, for placing Squid Beakons on this particular loadout, I will say this: Unlike the scopeless version, Beakons should ALWAYS be placed in defensive locations, because this weapon itself is one of the most defnesive weapons in the game, if only because of the tunnel vision of the scope. Keep the Beakons to strategic locations within the home turf.
Hey, I didn't even buy the scopeless version until late on Past/Future Splatfest night! :cool: I've been running the scope version primarily (been messing with scopeless recently though. Still can't choose.)

That said, I don't actually use scope/scopeless models differently which is partially why I can't choose. If standing there fully charged the scopes drive me crazy due to the tunnel vision. That's why I was starting to drift scopeless. But then I made a realization about scopes: IMO, they shouldn't just sit there fully charged like you can (but maybe shouldn't) with scopeless. I squid under the ink until an enemy shows up in view, and in range, then I charge as I aim all at once - and voila, no tunnel vision problem (most of the time!) I can now switch between both versions with little difference since I fire the same way with both, though some maps give the scopes some problems for me. Some of the odd angles I was taking on Flounder for example, the scope wants to put obstructions in my view that wouldn't be there scopeless. So it's a little map/mood dependent for now. Sometimes I find the zooming jarring, sometimes not. So for me, beacon placement scoped would be no different than scopeless.

The question can be moved/double posted to the scopeless thread though if you'd prefer. I was going to start a new thread for it but figured it's better in the A&T threads.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Hey, I didn't even buy the scopeless version until late on Past/Future Splatfest night! :cool: I've been running the scope version primarily (been messing with scopeless recently though. Still can't choose.)

That said, I don't actually use scope/scopeless models differently which is partially why I can't choose. If standing there fully charged the scopes drive me crazy due to the tunnel vision. That's why I was starting to drift scopeless. But then I made a realization about scopes: IMO, they shouldn't just sit there fully charged like you can (but maybe shouldn't) with scopeless. I squid under the ink until an enemy shows up in view, and in range, then I charge as I aim all at once - and voila, no tunnel vision problem (most of the time!) I can now switch between both versions with little difference since I fire the same way with both, though some maps give the scopes some problems for me. Some of the odd angles I was taking on Flounder for example, the scope wants to put obstructions in my view that wouldn't be there scopeless. So it's a little map/mood dependent for now. Sometimes I find the zooming jarring, sometimes not. So for me, beacon placement scoped would be no different than scopeless.

The question can be moved/double posted to the scopeless thread though if you'd prefer. I was going to start a new thread for it but figured it's better in the A&T threads.
Yeah here's the link. XD http://squidboards.com/threads/custom-e-liter-3k-analysis-and-thoughts.13743/

Award

So, scope users - I'm still having a bear of a time trying to decide to go for scope or unscoped on this kit. There are pros and cons to the FOV of each so it's a wash there. I'm not too crippled by tunnel vision since I work around it by charging while aiming and I don't just sit there charged. Sometimes tunnel vision may cause an escapee, sometimes shorter range without scope causes an escapee, so a wash there.

I'm not seeing a distinct playstyle reason to go with one versus the other, and they're too similar to keep going back and forth all the time. So for those of you that choose the scope, why do you choose it and what do you feel you're losing or are hindered in doing by choosing it? Have you noticed a meaningful difference in mobility, and is Run Speed Up enough to compensate that difference?

tazz

Inkster Jr.
The mobility change isn't really that bad, and in return you get longer range and a peeking advantage, as well as potentially more accuracy. You don't need to compensate with walk speed, swim speed ink recovery and special charge up are more appreciated (and tenacity). The scope, unless you are completely incapable of playing with it, is generally a better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom