• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Custom Jet Squelcher: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Custom Jet Squelcher

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
Lv 15

Cost:

Shop Description:
"A custom Jet Squelcher. The sub weapon lets you corner your opponents, and the quirky special weapon makes for a tricky package."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: High
Damage: Low
Fire Rate: Low - Mid

Sub:
Burst Bomb

Special:
Kraken

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Custom Jet Squelcher.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
It's like the Krak-On Roller, but literally better because no one uses this just for that stupid Kraken.
I like it.

SheriffCrazy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
SheriffCrazy
I am a jet squelcher user but i typically use the "normal" version. I use the jet squelcher at long range to cover turf at a safe distance and keep corridors on lockdown since I cant be approached by any other weapon safely. I pickoff opponents from a safe distance at very low risk of counter attack. Think sniper minus the sniping parts and a better turf coverage.

Bombs I would use for kills when someone breaches your range game as well as better mid-range turf control.

Kraken I would use as a defensive tactic if someone comes after you since squelcher takes i think 3-4 hits to kill but a gal and roller take 2 or so Although if you could also rush in for turf control and maybe some kills and then rush out for safety. It also could be used to push turf advantage.

Kraken would be an odd fit for my squelcher play style. however bombs would be a nice addition. Im sure it could work out.

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
Fun gun to use. Burst bombs are good for finishing off people who run around corners or who won't die in close range fights. Kraken is amazing of course too, and the decal looks cool imo. A burst bomb and 2 shots can get a kill

SquidWaifoos

Senior Squid
NNID
stalfosslayer3
I personally prefer the normal squelcher. The ink wall is a great sub weapon for a long range weapon like the squelcher, and the inkstrike is probably one of my favorite specials.

And seriously, the kraken is not as op as people say it is

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Whereas the normal squelcher is optimized to take maximum advantage of it's range (by blocking approaches with ink wall and inkstriking from relative
safety), the custom gives it options to circumvent it's close range limitations. Play looser and more mobile than you would with the normal one
since the burst bombs are very versatile, and the kraken isn't very helpful if you just hang back from afar.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I've never liked using Squelchers (they don't feel strong enough for me, might've just been the firing rate and my tendency to get as close as possible for firefights), but the Custom piqued my interest when I saw it. Admittedly, that's because I saw the Kraken on it (thought that would end up Krak-On exclusive, so glad it wasn't; now if we can put it on a Charger at some point...), but I still tried it out.
I liked it, probably beause I had something to deal with close encounters where I just got wrecked with normal Squelcher (RELEASE THE KRAKEN), though I kept forgetting I had Burst Bombs in close combat (might've stuck with it if I'd remembered those existed) so I went back to the .52 Gal Deco and its Seekers I can ride behind.
Recently, I've seen Custom Squelchers (and normal Squelchers, and Dual) on Ranked, where they're a continual source of dread every time they show up. They're like snipers that can move like normal shooters, and they outrange my .52 Gal Deco (and most other weapons, am I right?), AND they have a great get-out-of-jail-free card. It's always an unpleasant surprise to get into a firefight I might actually win, but then NOPE YOU'RE A SQUID NOW and I get splatted like 90% of the time (the other 10% I manage to escape it and go back because I know they can't do it twice in a row; from there, either I'm close enough to splat them or they outrange and splat me).
Kraken on a gun is so annoying, it's even worse than Bubbler. Yeah, Bubbler can be passed to teammates, but NOWHERE IS SAFE FROM THE KRAKEN. IT'S INVINCIBLE, IT MAKES ITS OWN INK TRAIL, IT CAN SWIM UP WALLS NO MATTER WHOSE INK IS ON THEM, IT KILLS YOU BY SPINJUMPING AT YOU, YOU CAN'T PUSH IT AROUND WITH BULLETS LIKE YOU CAN A BUBBLER AND THEN WHEN YOU FINALLY GET AWAY AND THINK YOU'RE SAFE IT TURNS BACK INTO A DUDE WTH A GUN AND SHOOTS YOU.
Also, it refills your ink tank when you use it, like any other special. Because it wasn't bad enough already.
At least, that's my experience of dealing with (and using) the Kraken.
So, uh, yeah. Custom Jet Squelcher, it's pretty great.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I've never liked using Squelchers (they don't feel strong enough for me, might've just been the firing rate and my tendency to get as close as possible for firefights), but the Custom piqued my interest when I saw it. Admittedly, that's because I saw the Kraken on it (thought that would end up Krak-On exclusive, so glad it wasn't; now if we can put it on a Charger at some point...), but I still tried it out.
I liked it, probably beause I had something to deal with close encounters where I just got wrecked with normal Squelcher (RELEASE THE KRAKEN), though I kept forgetting I had Burst Bombs in close combat (might've stuck with it if I'd remembered those existed) so I went back to the .52 Gal Deco and its Seekers I can ride behind.
Recently, I've seen Custom Squelchers (and normal Squelchers, and Dual) on Ranked, where they're a continual source of dread every time they show up. They're like snipers that can move like normal shooters, and they outrange my .52 Gal Deco (and most other weapons, am I right?), AND they have a great get-out-of-jail-free card. It's always an unpleasant surprise to get into a firefight I might actually win, but then NOPE YOU'RE A SQUID NOW and I get splatted like 90% of the time (the other 10% I manage to escape it and go back because I know they can't do it twice in a row; from there, either I'm close enough to splat them or they outrange and splat me).
Kraken on a gun is so annoying, it's even worse than Bubbler. Yeah, Bubbler can be passed to teammates, but NOWHERE IS SAFE FROM THE KRAKEN. IT'S INVINCIBLE, IT MAKES ITS OWN INK TRAIL, IT CAN SWIM UP WALLS NO MATTER WHOSE INK IS ON THEM, IT KILLS YOU BY SPINJUMPING AT YOU, YOU CAN'T PUSH IT AROUND WITH BULLETS LIKE YOU CAN A BUBBLER AND THEN WHEN YOU FINALLY GET AWAY AND THINK YOU'RE SAFE IT TURNS BACK INTO A DUDE WTH A GUN AND SHOOTS YOU.
Also, it refills your ink tank when you use it, like any other special. Because it wasn't bad enough already.
At least, that's my experience of dealing with (and using) the Kraken.
So, uh, yeah. Custom Jet Squelcher, it's pretty great.
This lines up pretty well with what I thought. Normal focuses on keeping the opponent out of arm's reach at all costs whereas custom
can maneuver more freely safe in the knowledge it has close-range defences when it needs it.

The arc of the shots and burst bombs do seem like they could do a good job of cutting off an opponent's retreat from your kraken.

And lemme just say that there's nothing like good ol Splattershot for learning how to use burst bombs.

Edit: Enemy fire DOES slow the kraken down, though not to the extent of a bubbler.
It still can't climb walls with lips. Just watch for the glowing hair and you can be ready for the surprise.
The squelcher also doesn't rack up points that quickly unless defending a hotly contested area
so it won't be able to use it too frequently.

Or you could just snipe them instantly with an e-liter and not have to deal with any of that.

Last edited:

Cthulhu

Inkster Jr.
The burst bombs help tr Jet Squelcher tremendously. 2 shots and a bomb get a kill for sure and bombs can easily catch running away opponents or groups of opponents. You can also squid jump around through enemy territory with them. Make sure you have 1 ink saver sub so you can throw 4 burst bombs in one tank, though.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
At first glance, the Custom Jet Squelcher seems like a really unusual weapon set. A main weapon that's long ranged with sort of bad DPS, a sub weapon that deals low damage and a fully melee special. The first time I saw this I described the CJS as a frankenstein weapon set.

I gave it a go last night and I really enjoyed it. It's a very unforgiving weapon set, but I think like the Splattershot Jr., the CJS can deal with nearly any situation competently. I learned to be patient and not expose myself after playing it awhile, which is very different from the SJr's frantic inking and flanking. The CJS certainly seems more viable than the Krak-On Roller, given that it has reasonable mid range and long range options. This is from an all Turf War perspective; I have yet to play Ranked, but I'm told a campy hunter style might be useful there.

The first thing that I needed to learn was the incredibly good range of the CJS and how campy I could be with it. Once I figured that out, my kills went up and my deaths went down, and I felt more confident with the CJS than either the SJr or the KOR. In addition to learning the weapon's range, I also needed to get into positions where I couldn't be too exposed all around, so I started staying less often in open spaces and opted more for narrow hallways or disconnected platforms with some distance between them.

The last part of this set that clicked for me was the Burst Bombs. Due to the testfire games I didn't really have a high opinion of the Burst Bombs, but with the CJS they were quite helpful. I could melee enemies, unstuck myself from enemy ink and generally got better ink spread with it compared to using the CJS. I actually don't really like having the Kraken on this weapon set and would've preferred Bubbler a lot more; going into Kraken form gives me an out if enemies get too close, but then I lose my range advantages and am obligated to charge into the enemy if I want to break a stalemate.

The only weapon that I felt really shut out against is the E-Liter 3K, but for almost any other weapon (even certain other Chargers) I can kill and survive as long as I space myself correctly.

Nousha

Full Squid
NNID
NoushaKhanom
This post is really old, but custom is generally better designed for offense imo, while vanilla is more defensive, just going by their sub/special.

Custom jet has worked really well for tower control in my experience, most notably kelp dome. It's range makes it an above-average zoner although it can get squashed if rushed down. It does well in tower control for the same reasons chargers do well, although I think it does better on the tower as well. The burst bomb nerf hurt its offensive possibilities, but I now use them more as a mobility tool, since throwing one at the ground takes up little lag and covers a wide radius, plus it's excellent for scaling walls.

Kraken comes in handy for tower control for the same reason as bubbler (but it's also fun to ambush an opposing team with it :D). In all honesty the normal version does a similar job since inkstrike can force opponents to abandon ship. I'm not good with splash walls, but I believe it can come in handy for defense if placed well.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
This gun is currently in my top 3 "most turf inked" category. I was playing with a friend a few weeks ago and I was using this weapon and he was like "dang, Tim, I think you've found your gun." It is definitely a powerful weapon. Knowing spacing is really important, and close combat defense has become a bit more tricky with the nerf to burst bomb ink consumption. Still, if you can keep people within your effective range and know when to throw a burst bomb, then this gun is amazing.

I've noticed that I need a lot of room to maneuver, so be sure you've inked behind you and your flanks before you engage people. It is a bit tricky because they gun isn't great at inking, but if you take it slow and get map control you'll be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom