Disconnection Policy for Tournament Play

Rhode

$("div.content::dd").hide();
NNID
ricobullet
From what I've heard in my squad chat, there was lots of problems with teams not replaying matches that had disconnections or had trouble deciding on what to do with disconnections.

I propose the following policy:

1.) If a player on either team disconnect before the 2:30 mark in-game, the game will be replayed.
-- a.) Proof of the disconnection is required unless both teams agree that there was a disconnection at said interval. Proof must be in the form of a video, from either the disconnected player or any other player.
-- b.) Both teams are urged to record their matches. Said players should announce they are recording in addition. Any player found holding evidence of a disconnection on any grounds is subject to disqualification of their team.
-- c) If a single team is found to be intentionally disconnecting players, they will be disqualified.
-- d.) Both teams have the right to request a host change.

2.) If multiple players from both teams (one or more from both teams) are disconnected before the 1:00 mark in-game, the match will be replayed unless both teams agree to continue.
-- a.) If multiple players from only one team are disconnected before the 1:00 mark in-game, the match will not be replayed unless both teams agree to replay the match.
-- b.) Both teams have the right to request a host change.

3.) In the event of disconnection, compensation is given for individual player averages that do not effect the match results.
-- a.) If a player is disconnected before the 1:30 mark, they will receive whatever they scored with +2 splats and +300p
-- b.) If a player is disconnected after the 1:30 mark, they will receive whatever they scored alone.

xCoCo

Inkling Commander
NNID
xCelsiusS
I think the issue also was people didn't quite get the DC rule. Alliance Rainbow 3 did not do their rematch for the third match as they refused and just went on.
I don't know if the TOs tried or did anything - but rules should be enforced and be stricter. They should not have been able to advance.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Might be overcomplicating it a tiny bit. Usually if you disconnect in most eSports it's your own fault however we don't have dedis in Splatoon yet so that's not always fair but I think the rule should stick. I'd advise teams simply play a test match or two before hand to make sure everything works. Host changes after matches upon request is a great idea though. Aside from that though, if a player drops, play on until the end of the match unless it's literally out of the gate, eg less than 30 seconds into the match or both teams agree to replay.

Just my opinion there.

Last edited:

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
^ Splatoon has bad servers though
I just don't think we really need a rule that forces replaying or a specific time point etc. Keep it simple for everyone. This is also why I suggest playing a few test matches beforehand. Any team worth their salt would probably replay a game where a player dropped out really early. Just from experience it's important not to have too many rules and regulations regarding tournament/competitive play early on in a game's comp life as it can affect player numbers and experience.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I think it's infeasible to require a team to provide a video proving they had a DC at a certain time; videos take time to upload and it would make a round take forever if teams had to provide videos after each DC, that is if they're even able to record at all in the first place

If I ran a tournament, I'd probably propose these DC rules:
-each team gets 2 DC calls; if one or more players on your team dc's at any time during a match, at the end of the match you can request the results of the match be null'd and it doesn't count toward the total, and then the match is replayed with the same weapons, gear, and stage. Of course, it's entirely up to the team who had a DC if they want to redo or not; obviously if they still won the match with less players they shouldn't be required to use one of their DC calls. If a player on both teams had a DC, either team may choose to redo the match if they want to (though I don't think the winning team would want to :P )

That's allowing for 4 potential do-over matches in a best-of-5 round, meaning the round could have a maximum of 9 matches if each team uses 2 DC calls. Since ranked battle modes can take 5+ min, I don't think it'd be very time efficient to allow a ton of do-overs or else a round could end up taking an hour : Z I'm gonna assume that if people WANTED to "dc on purpose" to avoid losing a round, they're gonna try to get away with that no matter what. having a very small number of DCs allowed to each team per round will hopefully limit nefarious DCing and keep the tournament running smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom