Do you change your playstyle when an enemy team/player has a severe disadvantage?

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Yeah, whenever that happens I end up feeling bad for the losing team. That said, since I tend to be more focused on the match I never really expect it before the results screen shows up unless I actually see someone vanishing in a puff of inky smoke.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Yeah, whenever that happens I end up feeling bad for the losing team. That said, since I tend to be more focused on the match I never really expect it before the results screen shows up unless I actually see someone vanishing in a puff of inky smoke.
If I feel like the match is too easy, I look at the other team's squid counts. If a squid is X'd out and isn't coming back, then you know...

Newtonjar

Senior Squid
Float like a jellyfish fish, sting like a... jellyfish?
Nah, just joking. I just keep applying pressure to be honest for rank mode. For casual I just keep inking as much turf as possible so I can maximize my points gotten because I still haven't gotten all the weapons yet.

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
No mercy for anyone! 4v3? No mercy! Lower levels? Welcome to the big league squid! No one showed me mercy.

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
the only time i noticed, was during the final minute. i rushed the spawn point, only to find an inkling freaking out, spinning in circles and backing into a corner. i realized what we had become, and swam away. didn't encounter that guy for the rest of the match. didn't have the heart to go after anyone after that.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
From the matches I watched, most teams have no mercy for the enemy, regardless of level or active members. Most of the time I don't even realize one team has a disconnect and I'm sure others don't realize it either until the match ends. And why would you show mercy when 5 EXP points are on the line in Turf Wars, or your rank and 10 EXP points in ranked mode? This is a competitive game, not a charity drive.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It'd be nice if instead of completely removing the player from the game, they do like MK8 and replace them with AI. Obviously you're still disadvantaged, but it's better than a straight up 3v4, and can really make a difference in Turf War when all you needed was some last second ink coverage.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
If I feel like the match is too easy, I look at the other team's squid counts. If a squid is X'd out and isn't coming back, then you know...
This is very great advice. When your team starts doing very well, or very poorly, look at the squid count for clarity as to why you've gained, or lost such momentum.

From the matches I watched, most teams have no mercy for the enemy, regardless of level or active members. Most of the time I don't even realize one team has a disconnect and I'm sure others don't realize it either until the match ends. And why would you show mercy when 5 EXP points are on the line in Turf Wars, or your rank and 10 EXP points in ranked mode? This is a competitive game, not a charity drive.
I specified in the OP that ranked is a mode I don't expect anyone to show mercy in, ranked wins are precious after all. I'm also not suggesting anyone throw a game just because the other team has one of the aforementioned disadvantages. I just don't like spawn killing enemies in their bases personally, when I can stay back and ink extra turf. There's no fun shooting fish squids in a barrel.

Mowse

Inkling
NNID
MowseChao
I usually vary may playstyle in Turf Wars. I'll be pretty cut and dry with ranked though, since that's a game type meant to be taken seriously. (Edit: whoops, sorry I didn't see the note on ranked!)

If I know I'm playing with some lesser skilled friends, I'll usually bring something like an Inkbrush to mess around with, rather than going full-on Splattershot. :)

Last edited:

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
I specified in the OP that ranked is a mode I don't expect anyone to show mercy in, ranked wins are precious after all. I'm also not suggesting anyone throw a game just because the other team has one of the aforementioned disadvantages. I just don't like spawn killing enemies in their bases personally, when I can stay back and ink extra turf. There's no fun shooting fish squids in a barrel.
Rats, I need to read a little better. I understand, nobody likes getting backed up to their base with no way out. I came off a little angry when I made that comment. Please forgive me for that.

_clementine

Inkster Jr.
This is something I've wanted to know if others do or not. Do you show mercy in any way when dealing with players who:

1. Lose a teammate via disconnection. We all know what usually happens when it's 3 vs. 4. The team that lost someone will most likely get pushed back into their base area where the other team proceeds to kill them repeatedly without hesitation.

- In regards to this scenario, I pull back when I see this happen. I'll let my three teammates go nuts on the enemy team while I just go around inking every last inch of turf I can find. If I'm guaranteed to win, I don't want to rub salt in the wound for the team that is guaranteed to lose.

2. A very low level player. Let's say you happen to know that there is newer player on the other team, will you splat them without question, or will you ease up a little?

- This is a bit harder to do in the heat of battle. No one wants to be splatted, especially by a low level player. But every time I constantly encounter, and splat same player who I know is very low leveled, I feel like I could make them rage quit. I would hate to make a new player think they have no chance against veteran players.

Note that this is all in regards to turf wars. In ranked I don't expect anyone to show mercy to anyone else. Any win, fair or not, is still a win.

I'm very interested to see how others may feel about these issues.
I really don't like overpowering another team when a player has disconnected, because it isn't that fun. I feel like Turf Wars is the most fun when you're fiercely battling over the middle ground, not pushing up right against the other team's base. But I won't go easy on new players. If I was a new player playing against a bunch of veterans and they were going easy on me, I would feel almost insulted, or at least a little bit disappointed. I would rather be stomped by them and perhaps learn something new.

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
Rats, I need to read a little better. I understand, nobody likes getting backed up to their base with no way out. I came off a little angry when I made that comment. Please forgive me for that.
You don't need to apologize. I did not feel any disrespect, or anger from your post. I just wanted to clarify my position, as several others in the thread also overlooked my statement on ranked battles as well. You were the last one to comment, so I just wanted to make sure I got my intended message out to somebody. XD

I probably should have made my position clearer in the OP anyway. I may edit it.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
I'm a pretty defensive player and will usually stay that way even if the other team is at a disadvantage. However if I'm the one with the disadvantage I go full on offensive and aggressive. When the match instantly starts I'll be making a trail all the way to the enemy zone and try to keep them distracted with me while my squidmates can get to middle ground safely.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
You don't need to apologize. I did not feel any disrespect, or anger from your post. I just wanted to clarify my position, as several others in the thread also overlooked my statement on ranked battles as well. You were the last one to comment, so I just wanted to make sure I got my intended message out to somebody. XD

I probably should have made my position clearer in the OP anyway. I may edit it.
I took a double take on your opening post and I'll give my opinion for the sake of conversation.

1. As I've stated, sometimes I can't tell if we or the enemy lose a member. When our team loses a member, I get the "we're going to lose" feeling when I notice it. But I when I notice the "bad guys" lose a member, I do actually soften up on them subconsciously. I don't try to, but I'm too soft I guess.

2. When I see a lower leveled player, It's a gamble, it could be a new player or it could be an alt account of a very good player. So I give it 100% unless I notice them performing below average. In that case I soften up a bit. As I'm still a newb myself and beating a new player until he's red in the face is not my way of doing things. I mean, what if he never touched the Single Player and just jumped online?

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I also just crouch/taunt party (as limited as I can) when it's, say, For Glory Teams and my teammate or my opponent's teammate is obviously afk. Don't really wanna fight in that instance.

If they ignore my attempts to call off fighting, then I'll try to go try-hard if it's my afk teammate.
Sometimes they get the message though. ^_^;

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
There are also cases, like myself, where they've been spectating for a while and only chose to jump in later. I've been watching matches since the game came out but didn't buy the game until last month. Due to that, I have a good knowledge of what to do for each stage, mode, and weapon (except Hammerhead Bridge), though I obviously wouldn't have the skill to execute it all.

I didn't expect anyone to go easy on me (most of all because it was during a Splatfest, but even without that factor, it would've been the same), though I wouldn't have minded if someone did. This is a game where even the most unskilled of players can still contribute and help out.

These were the results of my very first match--no alt accounts here. The downside is that I haven't really gotten much better than that. But I know as a fact that most Level 1 players do not win their first match and will usually start with quite the losing streak, and that most people haven't been spectating and observing as much as I had.

Noire

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Kyseria
There are also cases, like myself, where they've been spectating for a while and only chose to jump in later. I've been watching matches since the game came out but didn't buy the game until last month. Due to that, I have a good knowledge of what to do for each stage, mode, and weapon (except Hammerhead Bridge), though I obviously wouldn't have the skill to execute it all.

I didn't expect anyone to go easy on me (most of all because it was during a Splatfest, but even without that factor, it would've been the same), though I wouldn't have minded if someone did. This is a game where even the most unskilled of players can still contribute and help out.

These were the results of my very first match--no alt accounts here. The downside is that I haven't really gotten much better than that. But I know as a fact that most Level 1 players do not win their first match and will usually start with quite the losing streak, and that most people haven't been spectating and observing as much as I had.
This game is really fun to watch and you can learn some things just by seeing what the player you're watching is doing.

I mostly observe the online mode from my brother so some of my skill came from that. He's one heck of a hot head though and will get mad when his team doesn't push at the last 30 seconds of a match when it's crunch time. But that's him. I get real stage fright online and I can't even gun down a simple LV 50 Krak-On due to anxiety. I respect those who go online and battle randoms. Seriously, you all deserve the biggest virtual cookie I can get you.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.

There's a cute comic about a low level player dominating the game. The Splattershot Jr. is a pretty viable weapon even with high level players. I occasionally see level 50s, or high 40s with one. Whenever I use one I do very well myself. For the record, I'm not saying you did well just because of your weapon.

Revolution5268

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Revolution_5268
There's a cute comic about a low level player dominating the game. The Splattershot Jr. is a pretty viable weapon even with high level players. I occasionally see level 50s, or high 40s with one. Whenever I use one I do very well myself. For the record, I'm not saying you did well just because of your weapon.

lol I do that with my sis account when she need help with here gameplay.

DavAndrus

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Dorkdav
When faced with a 4v3 in Turf Wars it's a bad idea to spawn camp the other team. Without them able to reclaim any of their turf you won't get any point for retaking it. In that situation it benefits both parties for the four player team to play passively until the 30 second mark, then you put your heel to their throats and win the game.

Sadly most of the time in those situations my team will push too hard and no one really gets points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom