Final Smash Presentation Discussion

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
it's just everyone else when there's a run away success you usually see them capitalizing on it big time while the iron's hot in whatever way possible

so far(at least for north america)it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows what to do yet with splatoon and just like every new hot game it cools down after awhile and the hype lessens

so will nintendo wait until the heat is gone and everything's cold before pushing splatoon into the next level?

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
it's just everyone else when there's a run away success you usually see them capitalizing on it big time while the iron's hot in whatever way possible

so far(at least for north america)it doesn't seem like Nintendo knows what to do yet with splatoon and just like every new hot game it cools down after awhile and the hype lessens

so will nintendo wait until the heat is gone and everything's cold before pushing splatoon into the next level?
Nintendo World Store also had a display of Splatoon concept art including actual pencil sketches for a while. I have been there myself so I know firsthand.

So there is some Splatoon recognition in one area of NA.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
The Nintendo World Store's kinda known for doing cool stuff like that at this point but unless you live in new york you wouldn't know that

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Well it should be good anyway that Splatoon really took off in Japan which will up its chances dramatically for SSB5. Do you know how much of a steep uphill battle it is for a character not popular in Japan but popular in the West to be considered for Smash? It took four games for Little Mac to get in and he is far more popular in the West.

Ayykari

Senior Squid
If Nintendo really didn't care about Splatoon, they would have dropped support as soon as all of the disc-locked content was shoved out. They wouldn't have bothered making anything else. Or, they would have released what they had done and then called it quits. Seeing as now we have new maps (I believe 3 or 4 that weren't already on-disc), a ton of new weapons (All Sloshers and Splattlings, as I believe their code was incomplete on release), and a lot of new gear, Nintendo is definitely still supporting it and will continue until at least January. Splatoon will almost certainly get a sequel for the NX, and its current popularity will likely carry it until that point. I wouldn't be surprised if they end up trying to port Splatoon to a handheld sooner or later, even though I would personally be against that decision. No Splatoon representation in Smash isn't the end of the IP, nor a sign that Nintendo wants it to go away. Heck, part of the reason they weren't included could have been because of the already-existing Mii costumes. It's a new IP, and one of Nintendo's most successful, considering the previous fact. They wouldn't leave it to curl up and die quite yet.

The facts are that Inklings didn't win the ballot, Nintendo made a deal with Square Enix, and wanted to promote the new Fire Emblem game coming out. However, Splatoon is still getting free content. Merchandise is being made, the fanbase is still extremely active even after half a year, the game is evolving because of the competitive community... Overall, Splatoon doesn't seem like it's going any time soon and we have no reason to worry about its death yet. The only reason I could see Splatoon dying would be because of the release of the sequel, or Nintendo dropping Internet support for the WiiU sometime after the release of the NX.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander

I don't, honestly. A game is a hit and it takes off, or it dies fast and quiet. Either way, companies don't typically milk franchises in the way you suggest. The only one I can think of is EA with it's obsession with paid DLC that honestly could have been part of the main game to begin with. That's not capitalizing on popularity, that's called being a greedy prick. Unless you're talking about something more dramatic like a TV show, book series, or Splatoon Broadway musical, I don't see them capitalizing on any other series more save for their flagship franchises that have been around for twenty years. Pokemon is the only flagship IP Ninty has with multiple mediums. In that case, It really isn't a surprise that they pay special attention to big-name titles that have been their bread and butter for almost the entire life of the company.

The new Fire Emblem seems to have rustled your jimmies. Consider the following: FE:A has been out for close to four years now. Awakening was around before SSB4 came out, and the next FE was already in the works when Nintendo started a poll for new characters. Nintendo isn't churning out FEs left and right: a follow up title four years later is hardly striking while the iron is hot. Putting Robin in Smash followed up with their tradition of adding characters from the most recent successful games: Greninja and Rosalina are two other examples.

That's because Smash is more than just a game. It's a tremendous marketing opportunity, as Melee Marth/Roy showed that Nintendo could use it to call attention to franchises that may have passed below people's radar. Problem is, it's a marketing opportunity that takes time and effort, as the devs have to create and implement these characters. This means that a game like Splatoon, which came out after Smash and after Nintendo began looking for popular DLC additions, fall through the cracks not because of some grand conspiracy, but because devs are busy people and have deadlines to meet. They can't throw their development timetable out the window just to make you happy. Splatoon entered the poll later than other options, and Ninty didn't want to delay the DLC by restarting the poll to give everyone an equal shot. They can't realistically do that, or they'd be pushing the DLC back and redoing the polls indefinitely.

It's very likely that Splatoon will be around for a while, and will most likely make an appearance in the next Smash Bros. Nintendo realizes it's popular and will factor that into future "all star" projects they work on. Splatoon was the victim of bad timing, not some conspiracy. It's not Fire Emblem's fault, Nintendo's fault, or anyone's fault. It just worked out that way.

Cadet Strongarm

Pro Squid
NNID
GothicNightmare
Since The Wii-U's fate has already been sealed with terrible decisions and lackluster sales it all comes down to Nintendo's Next Console to bring back the nintendo power of old

very very rarely does a console end up with A Brand New Exclusive IP That Shocks The World ...usually New IP's dont fare too well and sometimes are just sent out to die much like Devil's Third Or Wonderful 101

when a new IP does become a success it is normal to toot your own horn and brag about it because again New IP's usually crash and burn in a horrifying way

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Wii U sales have skyrocketed in the last 2 years, their games have been absolutely amazing, and some have won awards at the VGAs.
You are the biggest pessimist I have ever had the displeasure of forum-ing with, I thought it was just about your absolute blind dislike for the Inklings not making it, but it's just everything that you type is some form of sulking and is just outright depressing.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
Woah woah woah, let's not get ahead of ourselves here. TWEWY was an amazing and unique game, but it's not getting a sequel because it didn't sell well (plus SE's stubbornness, like you said :p). It sold half a million copies in NA, not even half of that in Japan, and only a tenth of that in Europe, altogether not even selling 800,000 copies in its time on the shelves. Splatoon has already sold more than triple that number in six months, so there's no way Nintendo doesn't think Splatoon is selling well. Who ever said that a game has to be represented in Smash in order to be considered successful? I wanted the Inklings in Smash too, but I really don't think we have to worry about Splatoon being forgotten. It's gonna be around for a long time ;)

Sales Numbers Sources:
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/82965/splatoon/
http://www.vgchartz.com/game/16116/the-world-ends-with-you/
This still doesn't mean it's gonna stick around. Hell, it's already been confirmed that there isn't gonna be paid DLC for Splatoon. They're already dropping support for the game and it's already looking bad. Super Mario Maker's where Nintendo's gonna be dropping loads of DLC from now on. Idiots......

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
This still doesn't mean it's gonna stick around. Hell, it's already been confirmed that there isn't gonna be paid DLC for Splatoon. They're already dropping support for the game and it's already looking bad. Super Mario Maker's where Nintendo's gonna be dropping loads of DLC from now on. Idiots......
When and where did they confirm that?

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
No paid DLC does not mean no DLC at all. every DLC mario maker has gotten have also been free. and no plans doesn't mean they won't change their mind in the future. i mean we've been getting new weapons maps and gear for 8 months now (with january included that is). they're not dropping support. what do you want them to do. continously work on splatoon until the ends of time to fit your unreasonable needs. inklings not being in smash does not in no way mean nintendo suddenly hates splatoon.

BlackZero

Inkling Commander
I think SMM and Splat have different development teams, so I don't see It as SMM taking anything away from Splatoon. It's more likely that the devs want to finish out with Splatoon so that they can get started on a sequel while they have the green light from Ninty's execs. Game development averages around 18 months (so I've read). If they want to get a title out on the NX and still have a year or two of console life left, they'd certainly need to get started soon if Ninty is serious about a Spring 2016 debut for their new toy. Splatoon really doesn't need DLC, so I don't think end of support is a big problem. If it means they can get to work on a follow-up, I think little-to-no DLC is a fair trade considering this game is really fine as is.

Switch Friend Code
SW-7067-7083-1429
You seem to be under the impression that Splatoon will just flat-out die when they stop releasing new content for it. I have to respectfully disagree with you there. My point in my previous post was that the game is simply too popular to just die out when they stop feeding us new stuff every week.

Smash DLC is ending in February, but is that game going to die? Of course not! Splatoon is going to end off with more than triple the maps and over double the weapons it started with, not to mention Splatfests still being a thing, and probably Octolings (I really don't think a lack of plans for paid DLC =/= a lack of plans for playable Octolings). If stopping new content for the game after all that is an idiotic move, then I guess Nintendo is the smartest group of idiots out there.

Yeah... I just said that... >.>

Anyway, don't worry about Splatoon. It's gonna be fine ;)

Last edited:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Sakurai didn't "plan" for paid DLC either, but look what happened.

(...All in all, wish he stuck to his original plan.)

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
Sakurai didn't "plan" for paid DLC either, but look what happened.

(...All in all, wish he stuck to his original plan.)
me too. i knew people would be upset, but the level of sheer rage and salt that this has caused is just plain stupid, ridiculous and unnecesary.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
me too. i knew people would be upset, but the level of sheer rage and salt that this has caused is just plain stupid, ridiculous and unnecesary.
Well, I've been consistent in being happy at hearing Sakurai say that he had no plans, only to be disappointed when he did say he had them.

And I haven't shaken off the feeling that it's been a net negative. At the very least, people can stop being on-edge that every new Nintendo event will feature a Smash Bros. character announcement. It's been a horrible year of watching other Nintendo fans be disappointed because, no, this totally unrelated Nintendo thing doesn't have a Smash Bros. character announcement. And I knew it'd happen from the beginning.

Garo

Inkling
I see the Splatoon community is quickly catching up with Smash community with the amount of salt and entitlement. Good job.

Bayonetta was a great addition in my opinion. The only problem with Corrin is that he's from Fire Emblem, which isn't even a problem for everyone. Heck, I detest the direction FE is going with Fates and I don't have a problem with his inclusion. What matters is that he looks to be a very unique and interesting character, like all DLC newcomers.

Of course Inkling would've been a great addition (he was my 2nd most wanted character actually), but I can see how they would've had trouble with implementing some kind of unique ink mechanics that could affect stages and characters, especially when you consider 8-player Smash with 8 Inklings. At least when we eventually get a Smash 5 I think Inkling's inclusion will be planned from the beginning so they'll have more time and manpower to bring out the full potential of the character.

Meechy2000

Inkling
NNID
DemetriusM917
I see the Splatoon community is quickly catching up with Smash community with the amount of salt and entitlement. Good job.

Bayonetta was a great addition in my opinion. The only problem with Corrin is that he's from Fire Emblem, which isn't even a problem for everyone. Heck, I detest the direction FE is going with Fates and I don't have a problem with his inclusion. What matters is that he looks to be a very unique and interesting character, like all DLC newcomers.

Of course Inkling would've been a great addition (he was my 2nd most wanted character actually), but I can see how they would've had trouble with implementing some kind of unique ink mechanics that could affect stages and characters, especially when you consider 8-player Smash with 8 Inklings. At least when we eventually get a Smash 5 I think Inkling's inclusion will be planned from the beginning so they'll have more time and manpower to bring out the full potential of the character.
It's the same thing with me.I'm not considering of buying Bayonetta 1 or 2 because i don't think i have to buy the game to know the character so i asked some friends about her and also did some research and it seems that she has a movie too which i heard from a friend and never knew about it.But i'm not mad about Corrin or Bayonetta i'm just dissapointed in nintendo for getting another Fire emblem character instead of getting a character that people asked for.I really wanted inklings in smash not because i like the game but because they are a famous icon now and won awards and splatoon would have been great for smash bros because of that.Imean they could have at least gave a splatoon stage that have inkstrikes hit the stage once in a while like how random objects hit the other stages but i guess not.I'm not mad but dissapointed.Another dissapointment is Bayonetta in smash.It's not that she wouldn't be great in smash its just she is from a M rated game that only adults like you and I can play and smash bros. is a family game for all ages and she has guns and her hair cloths disappear with different attacks.She is not as nude as she was in the game but it's still kinda nude.She also stands in a leg crossing stance,she have sexy taunts,and she has guns which may not be appropriate for chrildren.It's not like the gun that Zero suit samus has it's like real life guns.And i find it hard to believe she won the smash ballot because the only people that actually played her game was adult so Nintendo based her incoming on adults only and not any teens or chrildren.It just seems ver suspect to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom