• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Goodbye Old Meta (Patch 2.7.0 is Insane!)

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
"Goodbye Old Meta" seems like an overly sensational tagline. The .96 Deco may lose some ground to the .52, but for the most part, the former top-tier weapons will still be very popular (or perhaps even more so, in the case of the .52). The Berry Splattershot Pro is definitely looking more and more like a future meta weapon, though.

One thing I don't think anyone has pointed out yet is that the original Mini Splatling may actually have a reason to exist now. Rather than just being a bizarro Tentatek, the Mini Splatling will actually reward players for putting up with its quirks by making it easier to charge an Inkzooka (although I still wouldn't expect it to see a huge increase in popularity).

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
To be quite honest, the only thing I really care about is these beautiful words, "△Increased the damage per shot when fully charged from 28.0 to 35.0.". This is such wonderful news. Now that the Hydra has the added perk of 3HKOing it's going to be a pretty terrifying weapon in my eyes. Yea, I'll need to invest in a bit of dmg up now to ensure the 3HKO but it's still a pretty game changing thing for Hydra mains like myself. The drop in swim speed really sucks though, that I'm not too fond of.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I love how the game is balanced much more nuanced now.

For example, through the Special Saver system, the Tentatek was nerfed hard, but the SplatterShot was buffed (and then it fell apart due to the Burst Bomb nerf)

Another attribute that was universal at first but was tweaked was swim speed.
Can we see an increase in swim speed for low range weapons like the Sploosh or Ink Brush?

The fact that the Splattershot Pro's range got buffed also means it's in a range category of its own.

Then there's the Hydra, whose damage is upped, but only at full charge.
Its close range game is still the same, but its TTK at the long range is buffed to what it should be

All of this points at a more nuanced balance, so the balance team can fix certain things easier without alienating or overbuffing its counterpart.

This can only lead to better balance and I can't wait for the remaining balance patches and Sheldon Picks.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
I love how the game is balanced much more nuanced now.

For example, through the Special Saver system, the Tentatek was nerfed hard, but the SplatterShot was buffed (and then it fell apart due to the Burst Bomb nerf)

Another attribute that was universal at first but was tweaked was swim speed.
Can we see an increase in swim speed for low range weapons like the Sploosh or Ink Brush?

The fact that the Splattershot Pro's range got buffed also means it's in a range category of its own.

Then there's the Hydra, whose damage is upped, but only at full charge.
Its close range game is still the same, but its TTK at the long range is buffed to what it should be

All of this points at a more nuanced balance, so the balance team can fix certain things easier without alienating or overbuffing its counterpart.

This can only lead to better balance and I can't wait for the remaining balance patches and Sheldon Picks.
wait i'm concerned. how would it's range compare with a squiffer? if splatterpros pick up after these buffs and the new kit, they may really put pressure on the squiffer players...

Skoodge

Brella Aficionado
Switch Friend Code
SW-2149-6955-3787
"Goodbye Old Meta" seems like an overly sensational tagline. The .96 Deco may lose some ground to the .52, but for the most part, the former top-tier weapons will still be very popular (or perhaps even more so, in the case of the .52). The Berry Splattershot Pro is definitely looking more and more like a future meta weapon, though.

One thing I don't think anyone has pointed out yet is that the original Mini Splatling may actually have a reason to exist now. Rather than just being a bizarro Tentatek, the Mini Splatling will actually reward players for putting up with its quirks by making it easier to charge an Inkzooka (although I still wouldn't expect it to see a huge increase in popularity).
The title was somewhat of a joke, since so much was changed, and people were freaking out. I do think that the meta will change a lot though, not as much from a weapon standpoint, but a gear standpoint, since .96 has to use damage, the slowed weapons will probably want swim speed, and burst bomb weapons will want sub saver.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
wait i'm concerned. how would it's range compare with a squiffer? if splatterpros pick up after these buffs and the new kit, they may really put pressure on the squiffer players...
The Splattershot Pro's range increased by 5%, so I don't think it'll outrange the Squiffer just yet, though it will be harder to range it out.
That said, between the Jet Squelcher buff, the Splattershot Pro buff and the 96 Gal being changed (both buffed and nerfed), this is definitely a rough patch for the Squiffer.

I hope the Fresh Squiffer helps!

Garo

Inkling
By the way, does increased/decreased damage also mean that Bubbler and Kraken take more/less knockback from shots or is that dependent on something else?

space_armada

Inkling
NNID
miikidmario
The Splattershot Pro line are some of my favorite weapons. So glad they're getting a massive buff.

But the Berry Splattershot Pro looks very powerful due to that kit and those buffs. That weapon is going to be very popular in the metagame when it releases. New secondary rn! :D

Last edited:

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
To be quite honest, the only thing I really care about is these beautiful words, "△Increased the damage per shot when fully charged from 28.0 to 35.0.". This is such wonderful news. Now that the Hydra has the added perk of 3HKOing it's going to be a pretty terrifying weapon in my eyes. Yea, I'll need to invest in a bit of dmg up now to ensure the 3HKO but it's still a pretty game changing thing for Hydra mains like myself. The drop in swim speed really sucks though, that I'm not too fond of.
You getting me into hydra might be the only thing that saves the game post-eliter :P

How do you feel about thee chanes to 3k scope since I know you were going with scopes? This seems lie it will push us to unscoped.

buttfield

Full Squid
Looks to be an improvement in many ways, but I have some reservations.
The .96 and E3K nerfs are welcome, as are the JS, SSP, N-ZAP, and Mine buffs.

My main concern, though, is how they're handling a lot of problem weapons with very specific changes. For example, the Tentatek's special loss.

The Tentatek's balance problems certainly stem from the Inkzooka. However, a change that specifically targets it does nothing for the Inkzooka's power as a whole, especially when the Forge Pro, Carbon Roller, and Neo Splash have been notably buffed in the same patch. Many of the more shunned Inkzooka weapons have (or had) weak mains or subs (Neo Sloshing Machine, New Squiffer), and the "Inkzooka meta" will just appear in a new form, with 40% special loss on death.

This can also march into overkill fairly easily. The standard Dynamo will most likely stop appearing above A-rank matches, with reduced swimming speed and its special nerfed on two fronts, and the Splat Charger/Splatterscope will likely be dropped in favor of the Kelp variants.

My guesses for changes to the meta:
-Cold Blooded is less popular, but still widely used.
-Defense Up is omnipresent due to .96 nerf, Damage Up appears on Splash-o-matics, N-ZAPs, etc. in small amounts to maintain kill times. .96 is far less popular, but still appears some.
-Slosher Deco becomes far more prominent, especially in TC. Standard appears some, but not as often. Tri-Slosher fades in response.
-Hydra is still never used due to the "full charge" caveat.
-Standard Dynamo becomes very rare, Gold is uncommon, but appears with some frequency in Zones and TC.
-Luna Blaster appears more often due to the Mine buffs.
-JS/JSC appear far more often, DS/CDS fade in response.
-The core "meta" weapons are Carbon Roller, Forge Pro, and E3K. Sploosh-o-Matics fade in response.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
if you want to play a mid-range sniper after the update, i'd recommend playing the mid-range snipers~~

excited to see splattershot pros actually used. they're such a cool-looking weapon and it's sad we don't have more supersoakers online </3
Don't give them ideas. I like being a special snowflake who plays the chargers (bamboozlers, squiffers) most squids tend to ignore.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Looks to be an improvement in many ways, but I have some reservations.
The .96 and E3K nerfs are welcome, as are the JS, SSP, N-ZAP, and Mine buffs.

My main concern, though, is how they're handling a lot of problem weapons with very specific changes. For example, the Tentatek's special loss.

The Tentatek's balance problems certainly stem from the Inkzooka. However, a change that specifically targets it does nothing for the Inkzooka's power as a whole, especially when the Forge Pro, Carbon Roller, and Neo Splash have been notably buffed in the same patch. Many of the more shunned Inkzooka weapons have (or had) weak mains or subs (Neo Sloshing Machine, New Squiffer), and the "Inkzooka meta" will just appear in a new form, with 40% special loss on death.

This can also march into overkill fairly easily. The standard Dynamo will most likely stop appearing above A-rank matches, with reduced swimming speed and its special nerfed on two fronts, and the Splat Charger/Splatterscope will likely be dropped in favor of the Kelp variants.

My guesses for changes to the meta:
-Cold Blooded is less popular, but still widely used.
-Defense Up is omnipresent due to .96 nerf, Damage Up appears on Splash-o-matics, N-ZAPs, etc. in small amounts to maintain kill times. .96 is far less popular, but still appears some.
-Slosher Deco becomes far more prominent, especially in TC. Standard appears some, but not as often. Tri-Slosher fades in response.
-Hydra is still never used due to the "full charge" caveat.
-Standard Dynamo becomes very rare, Gold is uncommon, but appears with some frequency in Zones and TC.
-Luna Blaster appears more often due to the Mine buffs.
-JS/JSC appear far more often, DS/CDS fade in response.
-The core "meta" weapons are Carbon Roller, Forge Pro, and E3K. Sploosh-o-Matics fade in response.
I don't think it's fair to say that the Carbon Roller is a "meta" weapon just because it has an Inkzooka, especially since Burst Bombs were nerfed

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
The dynamo just got slower. That's all. Dynamo users will just incorprate more swim speed up in their sets. And after some speed, it'll just be the same dynamo pre 2.7.0. And the echolocator is still a better special than inkstrike, even after the nerf it gets. People won't drop the original dynamo, they'll just adapt and find a new way to use it, because most people are basically using the dynamo for it's giant ink spread and large one shot potential.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I feel the Dynamo nerfs were targeting the kamikaze style players more than the standard player.

Squix

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
DetSweg
Meh, I only kamikaze (with any weapon) when necessary, and I think I'll pick up the Slosher deco. And also ALL PRAISE LORD FRESH SQUIFFER.

buttfield

Full Squid
I don't think it's fair to say that the Carbon Roller is a "meta" weapon just because it has an Inkzooka, especially since Burst Bombs were nerfed
Carbon Roller is already fairly strong, was buffed, and doesn't lose much from the Burst Bomb changes. Also, many of the weapons nerfed (E3Ks, Dynamos, Tentatek, .96 Gal) were major barriers for its performance.

The dynamo just got slower. That's all. Dynamo users will just incorprate more swim speed up in their sets. And after some speed, it'll just be the same dynamo pre 2.7.0. And the echolocator is still a better special than inkstrike, even after the nerf it gets. People won't drop the original dynamo, they'll just adapt and find a new way to use it, because most people are basically using the dynamo for it's giant ink spread and large one shot potential.
Yeah, I probably jumped the gun on that.

Last edited:

Award

E3K in the new meta? After the nerf? 3K was old meta, I can only see it fading and doubly so due to burst bomb nerf, but the speed and partial charge nerfs will kill it in meta. I think the E3K meta will dissolve into fresh squiffer and the Bambi trio mostly along with some splatterscope adoption. Sad about sploosh though :( I love sploosh :(

@Squix you really think squiffer will rise above the 3 bamboozlers? I've been adopting bambi lately and love both and will love the new one too. Never coulget into suiffer, but been playing it through the C's on my new alt today and it's been doing great.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Hrm, if there are less E-liters there'll be less taunting and harassing them with my Squiffers. Especially when they just ignore me. (It's not as satisfying when you do it to the Splat Chargers.) Sure, the learning curve is being raised for them, which can foster skilled... elite players at the higher ranks, but I'm still doubting they'll be as greatly neutered as we're perceiving.

However I will become rather annoyed if more bamboolzer players start cropping up. For one, I'll no longer feel as special, mocked, or underestimated. And for another, I'll have to really struggle to stand out among them. *groan*

buttfield

Full Squid
E3K in the new meta? After the nerf? 3K was old meta, I can only see it fading and doubly so due to burst bomb nerf, but the speed and partial charge nerfs will kill it in meta. I think the E3K meta will dissolve into fresh squiffer and the Bambi trio mostly along with some splatterscope adoption. Sad about sploosh though :( I love sploosh :(
The speed nerf doesn't affect E3K as much as Dynamo, given the lack of need to move frequently. Also, Burst Bomb changes actually improve its ability to 2HKO with a Damage Up-boosted combination of a direct hit and near miss, and to 3HKO with near misses. Expect to see less Customs, certainly, but I doubt the Standard is going anywhere.

xXShadeXx

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-3241-7928-4020
I can say that despite the nerf to all the chargers...minus squiffer and bamboozler, I'm still gonna main the 3k. Just means I'll have to adjust to the nerfs to it. I never spam burst bombs anyway, so it won't affect me as much I suppose. Only spam I would do is if I knew someone was hiding behind an object in hopes I'd go back to sniping for them to splat me, and I'm too lazy to move.

Only thing I'm iffy about it the partial charge nerf. I know we're meant for long range support, but still. Nothing wrong with a partial charge every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom