How important are gear abilities to YOU? Do you prefer fashion or abilities?

Fashion or abilities?

• Total voters

Kenken

Inkling
NNID
Kentokomatsu
So I've always preferred abilities over fashion as I am trying to climb up ranks, but recently my girlfriend bought me the triple amiibo pack and the gear it comes with it looks too amazing. I'm now having a hard time choosing gears as I really enjoy ink resist and cold-blooded.

What about you guys?

Do you prefer fashion or abilities?

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
You're asking whether people prefer fashion or function in a competitive subforum. What do you think the answer is gonna be?

Anyway, for dual squelcher I use swim speed up, ninja squid, and ink resistance, with two swim speed up subs on each.

For chargers, I use 3 damage ups

aqua46

Inkling Cadet
That's tough. I manage well enough without abilities, so I'd have to say my fashion sense comes first. It might make some weapons a little more awkward to use, but I'd rather get skilled with disadvantages than have a funky-looking character. There's a few items I'd never equip solely because they make the character look odd to me (like most of the exaggerated shoe sizes).

But I also like to think of it this way: when you mix fashion choices, you're also choosing abilities you wouldn't otherwise. it gives you chances to discover different gear stacks, and makes re-rolling a good prospect again. and you'll never truly be without an ability, even with the plain special saver gear.

go with what you like.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Well my favorite shoes are the Red Hi-Tops, so I'm capable of having "both" in that department.

But I typically stick with useful abilities over fashion with my other slots. Luckily there are typically lots of options for most abilities and with a little effort both can be achieved. Besides, just about anything can work in solo queue Turf Wars, so if you really want to look good with crappy abilities you can go there.

LockeExile

Pro Squid
NNID
Locke64
Lately I've just been wearing whatever has locked abilities so I can unlock them. I don't pay any attention to what they look like. Later on I'll settle for a couple standard sets based solely on abilities, and I'll come to like how they look simply by virtue of wearing them all the time and identifying them as "my gear".

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I've been putting a bit less focus on the gear's main ability lately as long as it has subs that help me out. Thanks to that, I can now use my Paintball Mask with no regrets :head_msk001:

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
If I have to be honest about this, i've always put abilities as the forecourt of things, if they look nice well then that's just a bonus.

That said, I do have a threshold for when things look too out of place.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I'd imagine a lot of us are going to say both, but i'd rather have a good set of abilities over stylish gear BUT there's a threshold where i'll stop. Samurai Hat + Vintage Check Shirt + Neon Sea Slugs is something i'll hopefully never have to wear.

If i'd honestly could pick stuff disregarding abilities i'd choose something like Black Arrowbands + Layered Anchor LS + Pro Trail Boots, but only the glasses have a viable ability on them. Run Speed Up isn't terribly useful for my main weapon and Bomb Sniffer thinks clouding your screen with skull markers is useful. The Pro Trail Boots look very rad but they come with such a useless ability, it's a shame.
I also love the way Inky Riders look but again their abilities are terrible for me.

(Am i the only one who actually likes the gas mask? It looks so out-of-place that it kinda works for me, it's like something a cult would wear!)

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I always look like I rolled out of a box at the goodwill and I do so with no regrets. Unless there is a lolita dress they make anytime soon or a BAPE brand of splatoon gear then I'll keep looking like that one hobo squid.

Sol64

The RNG God of /r/Splatoon
(Am i the only one who actually likes the gas mask? It looks so out-of-place that it kinda works for me, it's like something a cult would wear!)
If I have to wear the gas mask then I often switch to a male inkling.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
I focus more on abilities, but I get sad when there's no way to make it look nice... :(

Last edited:

Volty

Inkling
I have certain abilities that I really want. So if I find anything that looks OK with those I'll use it. But I won't look like a clown for some abilities. Gotta have some swag too. I go with opening gambit, tenacity, special up, and save for hats. Strength, ninja squid, and ink saver main for both. Shoes I need ink resist, run speed stealth super jump or strength. Just depends on what I need.
For my tentatek set I'd like to get opening gambit, ninja squid and stealth jump for ranked or run speed/ ink resistance. Studio headphones + white anchor tee tho ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom