I wonder if competitive people will find ridiculous methods for winning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Platypudding

Full Squid
I really find it strange that people feel this way about competitive play. Look, some people find fun in getting better at a game and testing their skill against other people. You don't have to play by competitive rules in anything ever, but you should respect that we're having fun on our own way.

Nobody's telling you how to play the game. If there's some kind of advanced tech in the game, which it doesn't look like there will be, but if there is, you better expect I'm going to use it. Because advanced tech isn't only good, but in a movement based game like this, it'll almost certainly be fun. If you think I'm a tryhard who hates fun because of it, then whatever. I'll beat you, I'll have a blast doing it, and you can stay allergic to the very concept of getting better at a video game because of your pretenses about competitive communities.

Going a little less ham: there probably isn't any need to worry about people using advanced tech and tactics in ranked game modes, because the people who use them are more likely to be ranked a good amount higher than you if you don't use them, which means you're not likely to be matched up with them.

Anyways, this is probably one of the only times I'll make a comment like this. I think generally discussion about whether or not competitive play is a good thing should probably be avoided in a forum about competitive play

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I fully expect advance techs to be found in the game. I really really doubt they will be ridiculous. The most ridiculous thing in smash was probably shine because it didn't make any sense and it made Fox more amazing then he already was.

But I really doubt there will be like "Frame 1 tech kills opponents INSTANTLY!"

Also, let's not make this into a competitive vs casual discussion. (Especially in a forum dedicated to competitive discussion). I for one am looking forward to what amazing tech is found and hope it isn't patched out if broken.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
There will always be high level and low play in any game people just have to expect that. I don't see people ruining the game or anything they will play more challenging modes than turf war or private matches with other liked minded people. Games like Splatoon,Smash and Even MK to a extend are still gonna be competitive at their core when you have to beat other players.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
I'm an avid glitch hunter myself so I know I'll be looking deep into the movement mechanics in order to find any potential exploits.
Glitch hunters unite!
took 3 tries before I got that quote to work right

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
I foresee myself only playing with friends once I find out how much better at the game everybody else is.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
Or like fire hopping in MK8. :rolleyes:

They will find methods for winning, or at least to increase their odds of doing so. I'm sure people will find the very best gear combinations for every single weapon, and possibly a team balance that works incredibly well. There may even be a team setup that overpowers and outperforms every single other combo, and it'll probably end up becoming the norm in the majority of competitive games. I would hope there's plenty of room for variety though, otherwise competitive matches will become dull very quickly and I definitely wouldn't want to see that happen. It'd be great if victory depended on good teamwork between players, as it really should do. I think some competitive players will probably attempt to come up with certain strategies for every map, but it's very difficult to say if there can be a best strategy for any maps at the moment.

I think ridiculous methods would rely on if there are any and how many bugs/glitches are present in the game. If any bugs/glitches can ensure or greatly help achieve victory, I'm 100% positive that people will utilize (abuse) them to win. Maybe there will be one or two maps with a small bug that allows you to clip through a wall and shoot people from within, yet they obviously wouldn't be able to shoot you from the outside. :scared: Scary thought, that is. Don't want bugs in my Splatoon!

(TL;DR here, I guess.) Although, I really think the most ridiculous thing we'll see would be people using a certain type of gear because it's OP. If it helps people win, they'll use it.

Fedorable

Inkling
NNID
Mistanutjob
They most certainly will, this game has a promising meta for sure.

If it is anything game breaking or glitch related, I'm sure it'll be patched.

Invis

Inkling
NNID
InvincibleForce
I think people will quickly come up with crazy movement options within the first month which will result in crazy winning methods. The game already gives you very responsive controls such as the speed at which you transform. That combined with a really good team synergy could result in some crazy strats. Something off hand I can think of would be shooting a path on a wall as your teammate traverses it.

I'm personally excited to see what strats people come up with. :)

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
I... wouldn't consider these methods ridiculous? In fact, I think such techs should be welcomed especially if they're hard to pull off. They only add to a deeper layer of skill to the game and coule potentially further develop the meta.

Or like fire hopping in MK8. :rolleyes:
Not sure if you were serious, but if you were: fire hopping is certainly not a bad thing. It's one of the few elements/techs in the game (not including solid driving lines, item usage, awareness of other players, etc.) and it's really enabled competitive racers to stand out from the rest.

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I... wouldn't consider these methods ridiculous? In fact, I think such techs should be welcomed especially if they're hard to pull off. They only add to a deeper layer of skill to the game and coule potentially further develop the meta.

Not sure if you were serious, but if you were: fire hopping is certainly not a bad thing. It's one of the few elements/techs in the game (not including solid driving lines, item usage, awareness of other players, etc.) and it's really enabled competitive racers to stand out from the rest.
I'm hoping there will be some ridiculous methods for movement. That seems to be the most likely. I haven't played the game myself, but perhaps there's a way to build up momentum while in squid form and essentially 'bounce' around with jumps to get to vantage points very quickly or maneuver around other players quickly. Not that those kinds of tricks would be very ridiculous, but it might leave very casual players in awe and that's always fun to see. :P

Nah, not serious about the fire hopping part. Only mentioned it because I know a lot of people love it, while a lot of people hate it. I'm not too into competitive MK anymore and I usually enjoy using a bike.

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Oh, of course they will. People will go to great lengths to achieve a goal.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Now, I think one thing needs to be said.

If I don't find the method of winning fun, I certainly wouldn't do it.

Like, if I was forced to wear a specific ugly costume just to have a chance, of course I won't do it. If I have to do something repetitive that may be something akin to me standing in one spot, I also won't like that.

But if it is a tech that is both fun and helpful? Then I'll be all for that.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
The way I see it, Splatoon has a lot of potential. Turf Wars can be a place for everysquid, while Ranked Battles is where people put on their big squid pants to duke it out.

As for advanced techniques, I look foward to them. So long as they aren't exploiting glitches such as, lol, I can find a way outside the map and kill everysquid! That won't fly by me.

As for weapon/perk meta, I can already see maybe 1 or 2 weapons not being viable for compeitive gameplay. My guess is that squids are going to go for the weapons that can cover the most ground with the fewest amount of ink possible, in the quickest amout of time, while also being versatile in combat and territory control. Perks, I can see movement speed, reload speed, or capacity being the go-to perks. Items, I can see the Wall and grenades being very popular choices.

Kris

Senior Squid
NNID
Kristofuror
As long as it isn't a glitch or something I don't think it will matter much. If they can be shot, it won't alter my style at all.

I do think the sniper rifle is very important BUT I don't think there should be more than 1 one on a team. I think that gun is more for the utility it brings for your team. The other guns should be focused on inking/winning. While the sniper is pretty much there to assist, make the other team's life miserable, and inking when they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom