• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Ink or Sink Q&A

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Here at the IoS development committee, we get a LOT of questions from all sorts of people and all sorts of sites. The original SB ruleset thread, reddit, Twitter, Skype; We're swamped.

So, I've been put in charge of questions and clarification.

If you don't know what Ink or Sink is: Here's the original post: http://squidboards.com/threads/ink-or-sink-tournament-v-1-0-6.3564/

We ask that you direct all questions to this thread from now on.

I'm here pretty consistently, so feel free to ask any questions, or express any concerns you have relating to Ink or Sink: Testfire, and future tourneys in the Ink or Sink tournament series.

Testfire Note: After the first initial tournament of the series, "Ink or Sink: Testfire," the ruleset outlined in the original ruleset post will be edited and re-written from the ground up for better wording and understanding. You'll know when this version is out when the OP has "Version 1.1" or higher at the end of the title.

Some of the questions outlined in this post will pertain to certain versions of the ruleset, and will be labeled retroactively.

Questions that have already been answered

Q: "Doesn't enabling squads to enter multiple teams give unfair advantages to bigger squads?"

A: it was a point of heated debate among the committee, for quite a while. the original idea was to limit each squad to 1 team, but because this rule wasn't worded in the best way in the OP, people threw this rule out the window. we obviously don't want 3 teams from the same squad taking top 3, but we don't want to reject teams that have already gone through the process of registry. i'll make it a point to remind people that this is "Ink or Sink: Testfire," and the results won't be formally recorded.

The committee doesn't want to give teams with numbers a wildly unfair advantage, but we're seeing how things pan out for the first tourney.

as of now, we're debating either limiting each squad to a 2 teams of 4-8 OR having 1 team per squad, but raising the number of members or removing this cap altogether.

Q: "Why are tags required for participants on the same team? (i don't wanna switch my mii name, etc."

A: The short answer is: They're not required. This was changed in I think the 1.0.3b build, but wasn't specified in the patch notes. (reminder: keep checking the patch notes at the bottom of the OP (http://squidboards.com/threads/ink-or-sink-tournament-v-1-0-5.3564/))

We wanted to avoid teams sneaking in people that weren't registered with their team, and our initial solution was to require a team tag of 2-4 characters at the beginning of each team member's name. That rule's out the window now. Now we ask that your mii's name is not changed between the time you register and the time the tournament ends, so we can ensure that all participants on a certain team belong to that team.

Your mii's name can be switched inbetween tournaments, but not during tournaments. We don't want to penalize people who accidentally break this rule, but action might be taken if it becomes commonplace.

Q: Will there be a "second version" of Ink or Sink?

A: Yep! The first tourney we're hosting is called "Ink or Sink: Testfire," because it's sort of a test for future tourneys. After the fact, we're deciding between making IoS a twice-a-month or monthly series.

Q: Does every team captain need Skype?

A: We prefer that all team leaders have Skype.

This isn't for any kind of voice chat, it's so the IoS committee can keep in contact with leaders about when new rounds are starting and time limits and such. It's the easiest option, since a lot of people can get Skype on a mobile device.

Note: This chat will work on a sort of "no reply" basis, and will strictly be operated around updating teams on the pace of the tourney.

If it's a problem for you, you can have a team representative stand in place of a team captain.

Q: Why doesn't the tourney start at x time?/Will the whole tourney take place on the starting date?/General time and date questions

A: The date of the current, or rather, upcoming tourney will be in the OP. The date and time listed will be when teams can start the first round.

So, in the nature of this tournament being held via internet, people from all over the globe are entering. This brings up an important issue: Time zones.

To work around this issue, two paired can play their set within the 48 hours of the round starting.

Let me explain.

Realistically, each set will probably only take 45 minutes at the most. Then why 48 hours? Well, not only do people on the same come from different time zones, and the time zones of the team they're paired up with are a completely different can of worms. So, the paired teams have a period of 2 full days for captains to contact eachother and agree on a time to play their set.

When all sets in a round have been completed, the 48-hour-period will be reset. Each round will not necessarily take a full 48 hours, in fact, it's very unlikely that any round will come close to the limit, but we're just not sure.

A penalty has not been squared away for teams that can't complete their set within the 48-hour period. We're trying to figure something out that doesn't involve both teams dropping. (which would mess up the bracket anyway)

A final note: If you can't make it to the starting date/time, it might be in your best interest to register with your team anyway. Even though you can't make your team's first set, you might still be able to make other sets.

Q: What happens when a team breaks a minor rule?

A: We're thinking of a system similar to a 3-strike rule for this, but nothing's put in place yet.

Q: What happens when a team breaks a major rule? (sneaking unregistered players onto their team, hacking, etc)

A: Disqualification. The set goes to the team facing the offending team in the set where the rule-breaking occurred.

Q: What if teams can't complete their set in the 48-hour time period?

A: This is where things get a little dicey. We don't want to disqualify teams because of scheduling conflicts, so we're working on another penalty that doesn't require either team dropping.

If your team can't get at least 4 players to sit down for 30-45 minutes to complete their set, that's a problem.

The bottom line is this: The tournament needs to keep moving.

Q: Why are pictures of the results required after each match?

A: Ultimately, we want to make sure we get accurate results from each match and set. If the two competing teams from a set report different results, then we have a huge problem. If everyone is mature and honest about the results of their matches, this rule wouldn't exist, but it's really more of a precaution than a rule.

We suspect that most teams will be honest with their results, but we can't be certain. That's why we require photo evidence. Now, if both teams report the same result, then we don't need the photo. But we ask that teams snap photos of results screens, just to be safe.

Q: Something came up, and I have to remove/replace/add someone from/to my team. How do I make sure the organizers see?

A: What you'll want to do is edit the information in your application to fit the changes, and then contact an organizer (listed in the OP) to notify us of the change. This can be done through posting in the registration thread, PMing, or Skype messaging us. We want you to edit the info in your application post so we can double-check that all information is entered correctly on our end.

Q: My team is from x region. Can we still enter?

A: Anyone from anywhere can enter. We'd love to have you! The only "problem" is that all the developers of Ink or Sink speak English, and aren't fluent in any other languages, which may bring up some issues in communication. We've built this tourney around the concept of "world-wide" play, where rules are put in place to accommodate people from vastly different time zones. We apologize if things don't work out, but we think you'll be able to participate without any problems.

Last edited:

iVortex

Senior Squid
NNID
Vorttex
How are babies born? jk ik its from babylandia, but srsly tho. Is there gonna be a second version of this tourney?

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
How are babies born? jk ik its from babylandia, but srsly tho. Is there gonna be a second version of this tourney?
Yep! The first tourney we host is called "Ink or Sink: Testfire," because it's sort of a test for future tourneys. After the fact, we're deciding between making IoS a twice-a-month or monthly series.

The ruleset will be edited and remade from scratch, and the OP edited, when registry for the first "real" Ink or Sink opens.

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Um...does your team leader have to have skype to part in the tourney?
We prefer that all team leaders have Skype.

This isn't for any kind of voice chat, it's so the IoS committee can keep in contact with leaders about when new rounds are starting and time limits and such. It's the easiest option, since a lot of people can get Skype on a mobile device.

Note: This chat will work on a sort of "no reply" basis, and will strictly be operated around updating teams on the pace of the tourney.

If it's a problem for you, you can have a team representative stand in place of a team captain.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
"Pictures must be taken by both teams of all matches played in a set, otherwise the set for both teams will not count. The trust rule will be put into effect, so for example if your team rage quits and refuses to send in pictures the other team will still be able to advance. Imgur.com is a good host for using pictures"

Why is this a rule exactly? Normally I would be fine with it, but wouldn't it distract players from the game if they're supposed to take pictures?

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
"Pictures must be taken by both teams of all matches played in a set, otherwise the set for both teams will not count. The trust rule will be put into effect, so for example if your team rage quits and refuses to send in pictures the other team will still be able to advance. Imgur.com is a good host for using pictures"

Why is this a rule exactly? Normally I would be fine with it, but wouldn't it distract players from the game if they're supposed to take pictures?
the original rule was that if the two teams turned in different results for a match/set, we'd need photographic proof

there are obviously holes in this plan

i'd moreso say it's recommended to take pictures in the event, but we the committee are probably gonna make a formal decision on this rule's inclusion after the testfire.

Burritoburger

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Burritoburger
the original rule was that if the two teams turned in different results for a match/set, we'd need photographic proof

there are obviously holes in this plan

i'd moreso say it's recommended to take pictures in the event, but we the committee are probably gonna make a formal decision on this rule's inclusion after the testfire.
Ah, I see. Thanks!

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
What are some examples of breaking minor rules?
a lot of minor rules are being taken out to simplify things, but things like the rule 4, which states that you can only switch weapons and gear between matches 2 and three of a set and between matches 4 and 5 of a set, rather than being able to switch inbetween every game in a set.

personally, i think this rule will be modified quite a bit after the testfire, but we're gonna see how people like it

thanks for asking

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Is the mode Turf Wars?
This is addressed in the OP pretty clearly, actually. Every set of round 1 will be Turf Wars, every set of round 2 will be Splat Zones, every set of round 3 will be Tower control, and repeat.

This changes is finals, as each team competing in finals (not necessarily grand finals, just the last few rounds defined as "finals") bans a gamemode, and the third mode leftover is what will be played. This process will be repeated for every game in final sets.

NNID
TheDonGero
Thought I saw somewhere there was an incentive to win such as rank or something. Is this true? Curious because I don't see why there's so much conflict if its a for fun tournament. And if it isnt then why would there be things in the record book for a testfire tourney?

Math

Pro Squid
NNID
BigPenguini
Thought I saw somewhere there was an incentive to win such as rank or something. Is this true? Curious because I don't see why there's so much conflict if its a for fun tournament. And if it isnt then why would there be things in the record book for a testfire tourney?
the ruleset is being revised after the testfire, yeah. so the testfire is a purely "for fun" tourney, and the rest of the series will be a bit more serious.

Valkyria

Bottom Feeder
NNID
Valkyriah
I'm getting ahead ahead of myself here since my team are all lowly C-, but what will the 4 winning banners be like? Will the championship banner be bigger and more glorious than all others? Ahhh, I'm so hyped for this to start!

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I'm getting ahead ahead of myself here since my team are all lowly C-, but what will the 4 winning banners be like? Will the championship banner be bigger and more glorious than all others? Ahhh, I'm so hyped for this to start!
Hopefully our artist @RocketClauncher will be able to draw a sketch of one of the banners soon and show the world!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom