• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Inkling: The Language of Splatoon

jp4464

Jazzy Inkling
NNID
jp4464
What makes me so excited for this game is how it's bursting with personality.
The inklings already have their own language! That's crazy, haha

If it is actually decipherable, It'd be cool if there was a site that could convert English into the inkling's language.

It could be our way of sending secret messages :D

Oni

Full Squid
how about inklish?

eng and ink are pronounced very similarly and it kind of makes sense being most of the word inkling. I mean we do speak english here . . .

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
how about inklish?

eng and ink are pronounced very similarly and it kind of makes sense being most of the word inkling. I mean we do speak english here . . .
Yeah, but it it's from Japan, so.. Inklanese makes way more sense. Especially since Japanese is the English word for the language used in Japan.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
For the spoken language, I'm not sure yet if it's based on anything although I believe the developers said that the theme song was made with the voices of some of the female staff.

As for the written language I'm not completely sure, but at least in this picture of the Splatoon Research Lab
https://mobile.twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/596962759541063680/photo/1
The written language looks very similar to English and you can kind of read "Splatoon Research Lab".

DE235

Full Squid
NNID
Decrosis
I like that they did put a language in their. It make the world more real to me.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
One thing I've noticed concerning the language is that Callie and Marie quite clearly seem to be saying "Are you ready?" in their song in the direct, though most of the rest of it is seemingly gobbledy gook

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
I think it is a full language. If Hyrulian could exist then why can't inkling? That and the letters are used so much that it would be simpler to write with a plan not just gibberish. I don't know about the spoken language though

RacattackForce

Inkster Jr.
NNID
RacattackForce
https://mobile.twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/596962759541063680/photo/1
The written language looks very similar to English and you can kind of read "Splatoon Research Lab".
So the written portion corresponds to English, similar to Hylian in some of the later Zelda games. That just leaves the spoken portion up in the air: is it gibberish or some weird masking of English (or Japanese) speech, like how how Midna's dialogue in Twilight Princess is just reversed English?

Last edited:

Aura

Infiltrator
When I first heard Inkling, I thought the language was similar to that of Animal Crossing's gibberish, but it's got some notable differences.

I've said in the past that lore is one of my most favorite things in a video game and if this language is in fact translatable, I'll definitely be learning it. Course I'm not holding my breath for that. I don't think Inkling is its own language, but English with a extremely strong accent. Course that's just how I see it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Inklings seem to speak English, but it is under such a heavy filter, it is difficult to make out what they say. I noticed this when Callie and Marie were singing.

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
Inklings seem to speak English, but it is under such a heavy filter, it is difficult to make out what they say. I noticed this when Callie and Marie were singing.
I tried slowing their speech down and lowering the voices and I could make out even more of what sounded like English. Although there was still quite a bit that was difficult to understand.

Also I'm still not sure if the written language is based off of anything yet. I haven't really seen anything that reuses the symbols from the SRL, my guess is that that "language" may just be used by the members of the SRL. Also I've been trying to compare some of the store signs to their English and Japanese names and haven't really been able to determine if they say anything yet. Also in the Squid Sister's song I noticed that some symbols in a line (usually around 3) would sometimes be repeated in it.

Book81able

Inkster Jr.
NNID
book81able
If you look at the Japanese direct the Squid Sisters song is exactly the same. It means that the language may be based off of Japanese. So we aren't the ones who should be decoding it. Unless you speak Japanese... then have at it.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
If you look at the Japanese direct the Squid Sisters song is exactly the same. It means that the language may be based off of Japanese. So we aren't the ones who should be decoding it. Unless you speak Japanese... then have at it.
You make a good point. No wonder why I could only make out some words, and not others. I am going to see if I can recognize some Japanese in what they are singing.

Edit: I don't think it is possible to understand it due to the filter. Unless you can speak both Japanese and English fluently, then I highly doubt you will be able to notice everything that they say.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Their songs sound a lot like they are in Japanese, but the garbled audio makes it hard for me to make out the exact words. You can also hear a short clip of a different song they sing toward the end of the part of the Direct where they are talking about Splatfest (starts at around 30:50 in our direct). A few words in that song sound more recognizable but I'm not too sure

yokokazuo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
NagoyaKazuo
I know quite a bit of Japanese and have been to Japan a few times including spending half a year on exchange, but I still wouldn't consider myself fluent. I didn't really hear anything that sounded like Japanese, but I will ask one of my Japanese friends and see if they hear anything when listening to the song.
Edit: I don't really know anymore... Been listening to this and the other song a few times and I'm just getting confused haha. Would be nice if they would just confirm whether or not there is a language and what it's from.

Last edited:

Endymion

Pro Squid
NNID
Endymion0
Squiddish. (Sounds like a harry potter game)
Inklish (english turns inky)
I like this. What about Inklish is the common language between the Octarians and Inklings, while Squiddish is the dilect/lingo for Inklings and Octish is the same for Octarians?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom