Is there a good answer to the .96 Gal Deco?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
The Splash Wall and the Kraken along with its high damage output from its shots makes this weapon very hard to take down. Any good suggestions?

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I mean there isn't much, but strafing helps significantly, as with the awful firing rate of the 96 Gal Deco, moving targets are incredibly hard to hit. Rushing them down also helps a bit, provided they don't have the kraken special ready. Honestly for some weapons, the best thing to do is just run away and try to pick them off with a flank. If your weapon has a splash wall, it becomes Wall wars, and if you are running a weapon that out ranges it, just camp them out.

Pretty much it, there isn't really a straight counter to it.

Brunosky_Inc

57% Squid Kid / 43% Hipster
NNID
Brunosky_Inc
I just can't use the thing because of its awful firing rate. They are the shooters that have to commit the most to each round fired, so capitalize on it and be an annoying target to hit. Plus, they move really slowly while firing, making them easy targets while you dance around them.

Or you could also turn them into an inkstain on the ground by outranging them.

ch0wchilla

Inkster Jr.
I'm sure there are folks here who can give better advice than I, but here are some tips which may help a little - based on my experience of using the 96 Deco a fair bit over the past week or so.

1. Try to take advantage of the 96's high chance (20%) of shots going astray. So keep your distance (close to, but within your max range), even if they outrange you, as it may just save you from getting splatted. Of course this depends on what weapon you're using, so be aware of your gun's max/effective range and accuracy relative to the 96 (or any other weapon for that matter).

2. When it comes to wall you need to put pressure on the 96 user when possible. It costs a fair amount of ink to use, and the gun itself isn't very economical either. With that in mind, you want to harass them into having to re-deploy the wall sooner. Even it's just a few shots, or better yet a burst/splat/suction bomb, it'll have a noticeable effect on their ink tank. Depending on the location/placement you may even be able to chuck bombs over, which can really cause them trouble.

3. Try not to automatically retreat when you see a 96 appear and quickly put their wall up. Of course this doesn't mean you shouldn't reposition yourself. My point is that if you withdraw completely the 96 will probably just ink all the space in front of their wall, push into the newly captured territory and put a new wall up. Meaning you're back to square one, except that they're now closer to you/your team/the objective.

4. Dealing with krakens takes a bit of getting used to. They key point I'd say is to try to be aware of when they do and don't have kraken ready to go. That obviously applies to all weapons/specials, and to be honest it's something I'm still getting to grips with, but if you know in advance you can be prepared. Burst bombs seem to be particularly good at knocking back the kraken, so try to practice that now and again if you're up to it.

5. If you are hunted by a kraken, lead them on a merry chase into your territory. Less aware players will not pay as much attention to the duration/surroundings and end up waking up alone in enemy ink with you and/or your team around them. Better players will know not to make chase. Of course this advice may be moot if they're stacking swim speed up...

That's about all I can muster of the top of my head. Hopefully it helps you somewhat. If not my apologies, I'm still learning too :-)

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
If you have a weapon that outranges the .96 and they have the Splash Wall deployed, you can try shooting over the wall to trap them in your ink and take them out once it runs out (I've had chargers do it to me with other weapons, but it should still work), or at least force them to move

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Assassin style can work against them: popping up and killing them from a flank.They don't cover ink well, so hiding in a safe spot to ambush them can work. Try to avoid 1v1 as well. It is, obviously, easier to kill them when they are focused on a friend.

Also, throwing splat or suction bombs over their walls helps push them back.

Relados

Senior Squid
Throwing bombs over the Splash Wall is definitely my favorite trick - even funnier is tossing the bomb under the wall right when they throw it, and if you can, at a point where its explosion just touches the wall, forcing them to either retreat pretty far from the wall or step through it, leaving them vulnerable.

If they ever happen to step in front of the Splash Wall, even just slightly, you can get a one-shot by tossing a Splat or Suction Bomb directly at it (this clip is the .52, but the same principle applies), making it explode and splat them. It's hard to use these two tricks in succession, considering throwing one bomb usually drains too much ink to throw a second one consecutively.

Power

Inkling Commander
In regards to walls...

sniping the wall thrower before the wall gets setup(during the animation), tossing burst bombs over the wall (very vertical). One other thing is to shoot over them so they can be trapped in a puddle of ink (w/ 3k) Keeping track of wall HP and determining a plan of attack from there helps, along with being behind the wall user.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I find that the Heavy Splatling is fairly good against them (I seem to say things like this alot about that weapon). It has extreme range, is built for constant pressure, and has it's own Splash Wall. At the very least, it can keep them occupied until teammates come by. Or if I place my own Splash Wall a bit after they place theirs, they are often forced to run when theirs breaks down.

The Kraken though, that can be a problem. Particularly as the Splatling is stuck with the Inkstrike, my most hated of all specials, and the one that ISNT useful during combat. You have to step AWAY from combat to even use the accursed thing. I so very badly wish it had Echolocator.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Thanks guys I really appreciate all the advice.

This is one of the most threatening weapons in the metagame so all these tips could help not just me, but all of us Splatoon players.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
You can either use a loadout that can outrange the 96 Deco or hit without direct line of sight, and/or attack from the sides or behind as much as possible. The 96 Gal is a strong weapon, but it's very much a direct combat weapon. It doesn't have bombs for arcing over terrain or up/down walls. Unless the area you're in is very congested, sometimes you can maneuver around the wall and attack the 96 Deco user.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
My biggest issue with this weapon is it's splash walls, those things tank up so much damage before they go away and then the user pops up another one just after the previous one breaks down. It's a nightmare to deal with when you're using weapons that are only good at long range, otherwise you could flank them. The .96 has impressive range so shooting at the wall itself while .96 can lob shots that can splat you in 2 shots is a bad move.
The Kraken is more annoying than anything else, but i have a feeling if it got saddled with Inkstrike (like most weps w/ splash wall) nobody would use this weapon at all anymore.

And yet, i still think regular .96 is slightly underrated, that thing can spam echo like crazy.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
And yet, i still think regular .96 is slightly underrated, that thing can spam echo like crazy.
It depends on how you want to use the weapon. The standard one works mostly for support and harassment while the deco one is mostly for offensive play. As far as I'm aware, there's always more people that prefer to jump into the fight guns a blazing rather than support others and defend the base (but hey, I get more points that way ;))

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
LilSoundDJ of SS-S uses the regular .96 quite a bit for its echo. Sprinkler is good for charging special and for splat zones. It probably is underrated, but that's because the Deco is so much more straightforward and effective.

I know the weapon is really effective, but I have terrible luck with RNG and don't quite have the aim necessary to use it. Still, it can sometimes get random kills with it, but I can do that with the .52 and I like the killer wail better than kraken...

Dolphoshi

Pro Squid
first off give it the finger then shot over the wall it will make them panic then finish them when the wall goes away never 1v1 unless you can outrange

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom