• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Kelp Splat Charger: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Kelp Splat Charger

wst_charge_normal01.png

Lv Unlocked:
Lv. 4 + Boss 2

Cost:

Shop Description:
"A Splat Charger modified by Sheldon using some seaweed that was stuck to the blueprints. Maybe the Sprinkler sub weapon is meant to keep the seaweed fresh?"

Type:
Charger

Stats:
Range: High
Charge Speed: Mid
Mobility: Low - Mid

Sub:
wsb_sprinkler.png
Sprinkler

Special:
wsp_biglaser.png
Killer Wail

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Extras:
Filename:
wst_charge_normal01

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Kelp Splat Charger.

Last edited:

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Really curious to see how people will use the sprinkler, not really sure how to use it effectively yet. For now I'm inclined to stick with the grenades from the standard version.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Really curious to see how people will use the sprinkler, not really sure how to use it effectively yet. For now I'm inclined to stick with the grenades from the standard version.
I don't know, they both seem pretty amazing. The thing about the sprinkler is that it stays up until either an opponent shoots it enough times or you throw a new one. And the thing is you can get REALLY sneaky with it since it sticks to pretty much everything. I need more time with it, but I think I can make it work. It is a little disorienting not being able to strike behind walls though as a sniper seeing as I no longer have the splat grenades.

Killer Wail is always a fantastic special also.

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
Probably one of my most used weapon right now

The Sprinkler is really good then it come to securiting your sniping position and just spraying ink in general ; always funny when it somerow kill someone with it too

And then you have the killer wail which is pretty much "get out of your cover so I can snipe you"

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
I'm really focused on chargers and played a lot more with it, I'm really starting to get used to the sprinkler, even though I still miss the grenades.

Whe using it I try to equip gear that helps charge the special meter, getting the killer wail early gets you an advantage when you reach the area where confrontation happens.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
The thing about the sprinkler is that, like the Kraken, you HAVE to respect it. While it might not be too hard to eliminate, it's a worthy distraction because once it sets up, theres a wide area for the enemy to have to cover up again, on top of this, if it has a height advantage it can do lots of damage to roller users.

Does it spray indefinitely or stop at a set amount, and if so how long does it spray?

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The thing about the sprinkler is that, like the Kraken, you HAVE to respect it. While it might not be too hard to eliminate, it's a worthy distraction because once it sets up, theres a wide area for the enemy to have to cover up again, on top of this, if it has a height advantage it can do lots of damage to roller users.

Does it spray indefinitely or stop at a set amount, and if so how long does it spray?
I think it goes on forever. In the training area I had it out for quite a while, and it only disappeared when I shot out another one. Same kinda thing online.

Yeah, the sprinkler is such a useful weapon. It also serves as a distraction since the enemy team has to destroy it.

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
I think it goes on forever. In the training area I had it out for quite a while, and it only disappeared when I shot out another one. Same kinda thing online.

Yeah, the sprinkler is such a useful weapon. It also serves as a distraction since the enemy team has to destroy it.
Oh wow, if that's the case this is like a mini sentry in Tf2. While the enemy is distracted by the sprinkler, you can take them out with the charger. I feel like this promotes a more offensive playstyle and mightve been better off with the squiffer, but whatever.

And the killer wail is cool. but since you're playing with a charger you might only be able to use it once, it's a really good "get away from me" special though.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh wow, if that's the case this is like a mini sentry in Tf2. While the enemy is distracted by the sprinkler, you can take them out with the charger. I feel like this promotes a more offensive playstyle and mightve been better off with the squiffer, but whatever.

And the killer wail is cool. but since you're playing with a charger you might only be able to use it once, it's a really good "get away from me" special though.
Actually, for the last bit, I am usually able to use the killer Wail at least twice in a map. Even more on a good game. The Charger and Sprinkler actually give plenty of points.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
This is my favorite weapon atm, replacing the aerospray which I quickly got tired of. It is not an easy weapon to use, but I am adamant on improving.

Btw, the sprinkler disappears in three occasions: 1. You are killed, 2. Someone shoots it or 3. You throw another one. On the subject of the sprinkler, as Pivi said, respecting it is essential. People died to my sprinklers quite a few times because they underestimated its killing power (And I have to admit I learned about its killing power the hard way). The sprinkler is probably my favorite sub weapon, it is so useful both when playing the Kelp Charger and the Dynamo Roller.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, the sprinkler is a fantastic weapon. I do find it hard to determine the best spots for it sometimes, but overtime I should learn the ways of using it. The best spots and stuff.

What do you guys think? Out in the open where it is spreading the most ink, or more hidden and out of the way even when it's painting potential isn't that great?

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I prefer to put it out in the open, so I don't waste much time setting it up. If the sprinkler stayed after the player being killed, I would put it in more hidden places. The exception is Urchin Underpass, there is this one place with the speakers and the miiverse posts screen. Thrown a sprinkler there and have fun watching the opponents trying to destroy it.

I do wish the Kelp Splat had a different special. Perhaps the echolator, which would help finding opponents to put them down. Or the inkstriker.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Kelp charger is definitely my favorite weapon and I've been using by far the most since I got it. I'm one that strongly believes chargers are quite underrated online. I'm at level 14 right now and I believe the Kelp is best so far because of its superior abilities to spread ink with the sprinkler (which is also quite underrate). The regular charger's sub and special didn't go together so well. Grenade + more grenades is very limiting. The killer wail perhaps isn't the greatest for the charger either but its alright.

On the topic of where to place the sprinkler, I've put it on the grate moving on the northern part of Saltspray Rig because it helps cover lots of ground quickly and recover land that has been taken by the enemy (provided they haven't taken it out but its so high and hard to notice).

Overmaster

Inkling
IT'S CRAZY ON KOTH.

I want first dibs rights that this gun is the top-tier of Ranked KOTH.

The Sprinkler caps the point, the scoped charger protects it. Take the high ground on any map and wreak havoc, zone out your opponents and nab kills on the chokepoints. It's freaking nuts. Being both a Charger and having a Sprinkler is incredibly nuts.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
KOTH? I thought the name was splat zones. But yeah, sprinklers are reaaaaaally good there, as is the inkstriker.

Overmaster

Inkling
KOTH? I thought the name was splat zones. But yeah, sprinklers are reaaaaaally good there, as is the inkstriker.
The only thing that might be better than the Scoped Kelper would be the Scoped E-Litre. It has better range and can take out the opposing sniper very efficently which is strong. But it doesn't have a Sprinkler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom