Map Size / "BP" Thread

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
As you all know, the maps in Splatoon have ground to splatter. The amount of floor you ink is directly related to the amount of "BP" you gain. However, this also includes when you reclaim ink from enemies. The results screen actually shows the exact amount of "BP" your team has, in total, from the amount of ink they have at the end of the match.

In addition to learning the language of the Inklings and the lore behind the Inklings and Octarians, this is another thing Iv'e been intrigued by, and I've begin to collect data extensively. So I'll share with you what I've found so far... I'll also order them in order of least to greatest, and how much "BP" it takes to fill 1% in the result screen. Remember, the more BP, the bigger the map.

-Blackbelly Skatepark-
"More like Blackbelly Inkpark! ....right?"
Total BP: 1528
BP/%: 15.27577
Size Ranking: 10th

-Walleye Warehouse-

"An abandoned warehouse... vry sp00ky..."
Total BP: 1601
BP/%: 16.01239
Size Ranking: 9th

-Bluefin Depot-
"I was tempted to make this one red..."
Total BP: 1666
BP/%: 16.66666
Size Ranking: 8th

-Moray Towers-
"To snipe them is my real test, to splat them is my cause!"
Total BP: 1754
BP/%: 17.54007
Size Ranking: 7th

-Port Mackerel-
"Cars, Boxes and Chargers, oh my!"
Total BP: 1854
BP/%: 18.54256
Size Ranking: 6th

-Saltspray Rig-
"How come there's no Oil Drums on this map?"
Total BP: 1865
BP/%: 18.65404
Size Ranking: 5th

-Arowana Mall-

"Doesn't anyone ACTUALLY SHOP HERE?!"
Total BP: 2021
BP/%: 20.20975
Size Ranking: 4th

-Urchin Underpass-
"I don't SEA any Urchins! HAHAHAHA.... *sigh"
Total BP: 2104
BP/%: 21.03657
Size Ranking: 3rd

-Kelp Dome-
"A fully stainable ink-osystem... good one Callie!"
Total BP: 2125
BP/%: 21.25284
Size Ranking: 2nd

-Camp Triggerfish-
"C-A-M-P T-R-I-G-G-E-R FISH song!"
Total BP: 2317
BP/%: 23.17112
Size Ranking: 1st

Interesting, huh? Probably not.

Anywho, we can see here that from the looks of it Urchin Underpass is currently the biggest map, and that playing on it gives you the biggest amount of BP (although finding the calculations for this would prove to be extremely difficult due to re-inking enemy territory also counting towards BP, so it's up to you to estimate how much that may be). That's all for now. I'll update as soon as we get more gameplay of Splatoon.

also yes i suck at humor. shut up.

UPDATED: Now featuring 5 DLC Maps, for a total of 10!

Last edited:

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
Well that's interesting. I definitely like the bigger maps more, honestly. I like room to breathe. :)

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Well that's interesting.
Lies. No one finds this interesting. :(

Yeah, big maps are the best. I had no idea Urchin Underpass was the biggest map until I did this. I was under the strangest impression that the biggest map was Saltspray Rig, but it just appears big because of how open it is. Just more places to fall off, I guess! XD

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Interesting analysis :scared:

A somewhat unrelated question: does inking over enemy ink reward you more BP than inking unclaimed territory?

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Interesting read.
Thank you. I'll be updating this thread later on. :)

As for @Inari 's question, just watched gameplay and the answer is no. Covering enemy ink gives you the same amount of BP. That would be a little unbalanced if it didn't, because BP translates directly to how much of your super meter is filled. You'd get your meter pretty damn quickly with the Roller if that was the case.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Cool, thanks for looking into that :D I thought maybe it would give more BP/special meter to motivate people to reclaim turf from the enemy team

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
so what would be better for a sniper? a larger map or smaller one?

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
makes sense, I have to say though, walleye warehouse looks like the underworld itself for a sniper. way too much cover from snipers.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
ya, if a sniper gets there, it could be hard getting them out. the 3rd person camera could be useful for that though to be able to see where they are looking from behind cover.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, I'm probably going to favor larger maps, especially as a person who would prefer charger type weapons. More room to hide, more room to shoot.

Glad Arowana Mall is a fairly large map since I'm looking forward to it the most.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Yeah, I'm probably going to favor larger maps, especially as a person who would prefer charger type weapons. More room to hide, more room to shoot.

Glad Arowana Mall is a fairly large map since I'm looking forward to it the most.
In all honesty, the best map for charger weapons isn't Arowana Mall, imo. I think it's Saltspray Rig, because I've seen how far the fully charged Charger goes, it isn't very far... Saltspray Rig is the most open map in terms of walls and ceilings.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
Camp Triggerfish looks pretty good for chargers too, lots of open space with walkways surrounded by water, meaning little to no cover or space to evade

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Camp Triggerfish looks pretty good for chargers too, lots of open space with walkways surrounded by water, meaning little to no cover or space to evade
Yeah. Camp Triggerfish as well. I'm still appalled at the range of the Charger. Not my weapon of choice.....

What do you guys think the best map for the Brush is? I'm having trouble determining this, seeing as how the Brush is extremely limited in range, and only has speed on its side.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
@Bottlecapn
This is legitimately interesting, but I gotta say I'm a bit confused here. Is the "total" BP value you have basically a sum of the scores from matches from E3/whatever, and then based on how high that number is you're drawing the size of the map from it (since points are basically a point-based measure of surface area)?

If so then one way this could be severely flawed is that, as you mentioned, spraying over enemy ink adds to the point count. Because of this you could theorycraft that in a smaller stage/stage with more hotly contested chokepoints you may be getting a high amount of points based solely on the fact that there's a lot more back-and-forth gameplay. Like say, you might be covering the same area 10 times over in such a stage as opposed to 5 times over in a larger map (these are just pretend values but I hope you understand).

Let's figure this out, because I like this and want to do something involving maps when the game releases!

so what would be better for a sniper? a larger map or smaller one?
Larger maps typically but maps with good "lanes" are also great. keep in mind a sniper is not always in a crows nest looking for people to pick off. anything that gives you a clear shot while still distancing you from the person is great for a sniper-like weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom