Mini Splattling: Thoughts and Analysis

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Looks like the Special Spam skillbuild is one of the best bets for my new Tatiana (Hey, if the Heavy Splatling is Sasha...). Tenacity, Special Charge Up, Special Duration Up, Walk Speed Up for manuverability.

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Oh yes. The Zink won't be able to do much on some stages, particulary the ones that favor ranged combat to close-quarters combat (such as Saltspray Rig, Camp Triggerfish, and Moray Towers).
That's a fair point, that the Zink won't just be better at getting close up, but it'll be much worse at long-range. I suppose it is losing the Inkzooka, and I suppose the Mini Splatling would be decent at charging up that special meter, but what I'm wondering is if the range and special build-up is good enough a trade-off to make the vanilla Mini Splatling a viable choice over the Tentatek.

As for the wait, it might be a while. We still have a ton of weapons to get. We still need more Slosher weapons, including the name and appearence of the slower, powerful entry in that weapon class, not to mention the H-3 Nozzlenoses and Rapid Blaster Pros. We might not get it until after next Splatfest, come to think of it.
To be fair, they often release multiple weapons at once, but yeah, you're probably right that it'll be a minute before we get the Zink.

curry time

Senior Squid
NNID
NobleCactus
I'm going to try running a gimmicky run speed/special charge up build with the mini. Dunno how it'll hold up in S rank, but it should be fun.

So how long do we think the wait for the Zink will be?

Not to sound impatient, but yeah, I agree with everyone else that the different sub and special loadout will make it the superior version, so much so that I think the only use this version of the Mini will get is the wait till the Zink comes out. That's a point I wonder if I should be contested on, you've heard my opinion, but do you think this version of the Mini Splatling will still be viable once the Zink is an option?
Definitely. Suctions + Zooka is a strong enough combo to make most weapons remotely viable. And like others have pointed out, it builds Zooka meter faster than the TTK, at the cost of not being as adaptable as the TTK.

As for the Zink, too early to say. Disruptors + Bubbler will make the Zink a 1v1 nightmare. It'll most likely be the best Bubbler weapon, too, for multiple reasons:

– Builds meter faster than the Blaster and the Squiffer
– Better at killing things than the Jr.
– Lays down suppressing fire better than any of those weapons

I expect it to be a Splat Zone and Rainmaker menace.

Tentatek will still be superior in most situations regardless. But the Mini certainly isn't low tier.

The problem is you have to walk up to a pretty close range and then charge the weapon so that can make it a little difficult to manage. It's kind of like the Squiffer except that you don't instakill and your shots get blocked more easily.
Indeed. Having to commit to the spool time also seriously disadvantages both of the Splatlings in ambush situations.

Another issue with the miniguns is that the shots come from the bottom of your character (since that's where the barrel is), meaning that the splatlings have a bit of a tougher time dealing with height advantages or shooting down from ledges than more traditional shooter waepons.

This weapon and tentatek comparison:

Tentatek: Has instant shooting with unlimited time to shoot and higher raw power per shot
Rounded up a 29% raw power increase
Mini: Has a much faster fire rate and a higher effective range
50% faster fire rate (according to frame data) and a 16% effective range increase (I estimated the range to be about 2.9 lines effective)

TTK: Assuming that all of the shots from both weapons hit and that the mini splatling is at full charge when t=0, the ttk is actually the same for both weapons taking 12 frames for both of them.
Interesting. Thanks for the testing.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Another trick inherited from the Heavy Splatling that works even better with the Mini Splatling is that you can squid up to cancel your charge or even interrupt your burst. Very handy if you need to reposition in a hurry.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Alright, I decided to buy this thing and try it on Port Mackerel and Walleye Warehouse since fights often take place in close-quarters, and this thing is pretty scary. The charge time is so little that if timed perfectly it feels almost non-existant, and the Inkzooka... well, it's the Inkzooka. I still don't use the sub as much since I almost never have enough ink to throw it, but when I do I'm guranteed a second or two of peace. I still prefer the Heavy Splatling since it fits my prefered style better, but I'll surely keep this small fry for tighter maps :ability_damage:

Cottoneyes

Inkling
Despite me knowing that I can pick the Splattershot, I generally enjoy the feel of the Mini Splatting. Even with the shorter range the close to non existent charge time on this makes it good in it's own right. Only problem main problem with it is the same with the Heavy and that's it's ink usage for those who enjoy using subs a lot, but not only can that be solved with stats the bombs aint needed as much as a Splat wall in most cases.

It's a easy gun to pick up and it fills a more offensive role compared to the heavy one. It's also much more forgiving to use, so I would recommend taking it out if you're going solo.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Despite me knowing that I can pick the Splattershot, I generally enjoy the feel of the Mini Splatting. Even with the shorter range the close to non existent charge time on this makes it good in it's own right. Only problem main problem with it is the same with the Heavy and that's it's ink usage for those who enjoy using subs a lot, but not only can that be solved with stats the bombs aint needed as much as a Splat wall in most cases.

It's a easy gun to pick up and it fills a more offensive role compared to the heavy one. It's also much more forgiving to use, so I would recommend taking it out if you're going solo.
The Squiffer-fast charging and Suctions make the Mini Splatling more aggressive than the longer-ranged Heavy Splatling with its Splash Wall, which has a defensive/suppression weapon feel.

Also Suction Bombs allow for nasty Stickies play if you're used to playing as a TF2 Demo.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
This thing is scary with Run Speed Up. Its short charge time and great mobility make it feel more like a upgraded shooter than a charging gun. Only thing I don't like is the loadout (Suction Bombs use too much ink, Inkzooka takes forever to charge), but the Zink version will be great.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Suctions are extra-nasty in Rainmaker if you have good timing to land a sticky surprise close to the Rainmaker if the enemy breaks the shield first, so when they run up to grab it they get an explosive surprise.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
I was thinking about making a new thread to discuss about this weapon, but I felt that would be unnecessary since we already have this one. Hopefully you mods won't mind me necroing this thread. ;)

Anyways about the Mini Splatling, I've noticed this weapon has been long forgotten after its release and has more or less been labeled as a "poor-mans Tentatek Splattershot". I've been playing around with different weapons about a week or so ago and I decided to give the Mini Splatling a try.

After, playing a lot of duo squads (and a few quad squads) I feel like this weapon is actually pretty good (it's pretty much my go-to weapon now... at least until the Zink version comes out) and has a few qualities over the Tentatek that I can use to my advantage in matches.

One of those qualities is range, its range is just short of the L-3's range (Mini Splatling has a rage of 58 compared to the L3's range of 60 just for reference) but I find myself in situations where I'm able to easily space out weapons like the Tentatek, N-Zaps, Luna Blaster's, etc because of it's above average range which helps me win those engagements against those weapons.

The other quality I've noticed is that the Mini Splatling has pretty great ink coverage. I find myself able to build up the inkzooka's very quickly without the need skills like:ability_specialcharge: or :ability_specialsaver: (in case if I get splatted) and able to use the inkzooka special at least twice in a match if I'm doing poorly. Also, because the covers ground very well I find it pretty good in Splat Zones (it's also just good at gaining map control quickly) since it can easily claim the zone pretty quickly (depending on the size of the zone) on it's own due to the amount of ink shots it throws out per burst, the very short charge time, and it's decent range.

As for the build I use for the Mini Splatling it's this:

:head_eye002:- :ability_bombrange:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_runspeed:
:clothes_tes001:- :ability_runspeed:| :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht007:- :ability_runspeed:| :ability_runspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

It's not 100% perfect, but you can kind of see where I'm going with this. I find the :ability_bombrange: pretty handy for applying pressure, getting the nice pick-off over a far distance, or even trapping enemy inklings due to the increased throw ranged for the Suction Bombs ( :ability_bombrange: is also amazing for Disruptors as well for the Zink version). I find stacking :ability_runspeed: to be the way to Mini Splatling since, like the L-3's, has pretty great strafing speed with :ability_runspeed: and that really helps out in winning close range engagements and just mobility in general. Lastly, I just like using :ability_inkrecovery: for most weapons I use since it's just a good skill in general for keeping your ink tank up all the time.

Overall, I'm just trying to say is that the Mini Splatling is a pretty good weapon (I still have yet to use it on every map in every gamemode, so I might just sound like I'm overrating the weapon just because I had some good runs on a few of the maps/gamemodes, and most of time the gamemode was Splat Zones) that isn't outclassed by the Tentatek and I'm just surprised to see that pretty much nobody uses it.

Share me your thoughts about this weapon! :p

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I was thinking about making a new thread to discuss about this weapon, but I felt that would be unnecessary since we already have this one. Hopefully you mods won't mind me necroing this thread. ;)

Anyways about the Mini Splatling, I've noticed this weapon has been long forgotten after its release and has more or less been labeled as a "poor-mans Tentatek Splattershot". I've been playing around with different weapons about a week or so ago and I decided to give the Mini Splatling a try.

After, playing a lot of duo squads (and a few quad squads) I feel like this weapon is actually pretty good (it's pretty much my go-to weapon now... at least until the Zink version comes out) and has a few qualities over the Tentatek that I can use to my advantage in matches.

One of those qualities is range, its range is just short of the L-3's range (Mini Splatling has a rage of 58 compared to the L3's range of 60 just for reference) but I find myself in situations where I'm able to easily space out weapons like the Tentatek, N-Zaps, Luna Blaster's, etc because of it's above average range which helps me win those engagements against those weapons.

The other quality I've noticed is that the Mini Splatling has pretty great ink coverage. I find myself able to build up the inkzooka's very quickly without the need skills like:ability_specialcharge: or :ability_specialsaver: (in case if I get splatted) and able to use the inkzooka special at least twice in a match if I'm doing poorly. Also, because the covers ground very well I find it pretty good in Splat Zones (it's also just good at gaining map control quickly) since it can easily claim the zone pretty quickly (depending on the size of the zone) on it's own due to the amount of ink shots it throws out per burst, the very short charge time, and it's decent range.

As for the build I use for the Mini Splatling it's this:

:head_eye002:- :ability_bombrange:| :ability_specialcharge::ability_inkrecovery::ability_runspeed:
:clothes_tes001:- :ability_runspeed:| :ability_quickrespawn::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:
:shoes_sht007:- :ability_runspeed:| :ability_runspeed::ability_inkrecovery::ability_inkrecovery:

It's not 100% perfect, but you can kind of see where I'm going with this. I find the :ability_bombrange: pretty handy for applying pressure, getting the nice pick-off over a far distance, or even trapping enemy inklings due to the increased throw ranged for the Suction Bombs ( :ability_bombrange: is also amazing for Disruptors as well for the Zink version). I find stacking :ability_runspeed: to be the way to Mini Splatling since, like the L-3's, has pretty great strafing speed with :ability_runspeed: and that really helps out in winning close range engagements and just mobility in general. Lastly, I just like using :ability_inkrecovery: for most weapons I use since it's just a good skill in general for keeping your ink tank up all the time.

Overall, I'm just trying to say is that the Mini Splatling is a pretty good weapon (I still have yet to use it on every map in every gamemode, so I might just sound like I'm overrating the weapon just because I had some good runs on a few of the maps/gamemodes, and most of time the gamemode was Splat Zones) that isn't outclassed by the Tentatek and I'm just surprised to see that pretty much nobody uses it.

Share me your thoughts about this weapon! :p
I agree with what you said: The weapon has both good range and great ink coverage. My loadout is pretty similar, using
:head_met003::ability_runspeed:I:ability_specialcharge::ability_specialduration::ability_specialsaver:
Black Inky Rider: :ability_bombrange:I:ability_bombrange::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:
:shoes_bot003::ability_inkresistance:I:ability_inksaversub::ability_runspeed::ability_runspeed:

:ability_runspeed: is just great for this thing: You have to run a lot to charge up, and it allows you to better strafe enemies or keep them in your optimal range. :ability_inkresistance: is good on about everything, as it severely improves mobility. :ability_bombrange:,:ability_specialcharge:,:ability_specialduration:, and :ability_specialsaver: all help it's loadout, giving you more kills with Suction Bombs and giving you more Inkzooka time (And soon: Disruptors and Bubbler)

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Post 2.2.0, the Mini Splatling's charge rate and ink efficiency buff make it even more appealing than the Tentatek, which has taken a noticeable damage nerf that puts that OU blaster into the range where Defense Ups make a difference in the TTK.

I use my darling Tatiana as my primary for Rainmaker and Tower Control and she is still as glorious as ever.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I've been trying to use this weapon as a non blaster main. And let me tell you it hasn't been going well. The only times i can use it decently enough to get the top spot (In terms of splats) is Bluefin (which is probably my best stage...i think). I should let you know that i play a more defensive/support kinda fashion and that the gear I use remained pretty much the same since the August patch, but i'm willing to hear suggestions.

My Gear just in case you wanted to know.(I call it the Ika Mikusume set)
:head_hdp001: :ability_inksaversub:I :ability_bombrange::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_quicksuperjump:
Squid Girl Tunic :ability_damage:I :ability_specialduration::ability_quicksuperjump::ability_specialduration:
Squid girl shoes :ability_swimspeed:I:ability_swimspeed::ability_swimspeed::ability_defenseup:

Ink saver sub because it's on my current all time favourite headgear. I like it as well because i have more ink left to fire.

One :ability_bombrange: and :ability_defenseup: sub because lol Spyke.

:ability_quicksuperjump: subs were by luck, at the time i rerolled i thought having them was alright, i just kinda stuck with it. It helps in getting out of sticky situations and/or getting back into position (Like where a friendly charger is).

The :ability_specialduration: subs has proved quite useful. As the mini i don't have to focus so much as aim and spam inkzooka, but now i can actually take some time and position myself. On other weapons, extended Kraken and bubbler time are a lifesaver, and thanks to quick super jump, i can get out rather quickly should my invincibility almost run out in the middle of enemy territory. Or when someone else activate an invincible special after i do.

:ability_swimspeed: is now my life. I hate super jumping into bad situations where in reality i'd only want to get behind my teammates. This makes up for it perfectly, as i can swim faster than a seeker and get to a certain place when want to. It's also very versatile in many situations, which has saved me countless times.

I've also tried two :ability_runspeed: mains with :clothes_shirt004:and :shoes_shi006:but the differences has been rather minor (Though there wasn't all that much time spent on this set, 8 hours over 3 days? probably not that much experience.). Also my mind is pretty biased towards my current gear set as i've grown accustomed to it. It's probably not going to change unless i want to change up my playstyle or the way i play or most likely when i get bored of the same set. Though i am still prepared for suggestions.

Anyway enough about my gear. I find that whenever i get splatted, it's always thanks to the Tentatek. It always feels like the Mini has a similar range to the Tentatek, then they get within their max range and manage to out shoot me or both of us gets taken down together. The only times when i can reliably get a splat is -more often than not- with the Inkzooka then some surprise Suction bombs too.. Some tips on approaching with the Mini would help greatly.

Though what i do find as a support, is that it's inking capabilities plus fire rate are a legend. I think i've saved a few dynamo rollers the despair of trying to ink their feet while trying to escape enemy ink. Not to mention a few chargers as well. It's reasonably good at turfing so it allows me to control a particular area (a splatzone for example) or to try and halt the enemy progress(like in Rainmaker for example). So some of the matches i win without high KD ratios i do tend to feel good about because of this.

As for particular mode strategies. Splatzones is like improvisation, i just don't know what to do so i go in rather blindly at times. Tower Control is for my mains (The Rapid blaster and The Custom Range blaster) but when i do use the Mini, i usually try to deny enemies as much as possible from getting on the tower. And get on the tower myself when my teammates are around. And Rainmaker i act as a last line of defense(Usually) to stop the rainmaker, or try to prevent flanks. If necessary i will rush to the goal with the Rainmaker when i see an opening, or just out of desperation. And Turf war is a roam, and then get bored and watch over a single area before realising our base is covered in enemy ink then roam again.(Most of these strategies are also true for my blaster mains).

So yeah. I guess i'm just not feeling like i'm getting good results with it. Maybe i'm just playing it wrong as it's probably not meant to be defensive, but i've decided this would probably be my non-blaster main because i like the Mini Splatling. Though now I'm just not confident in going to ranked lobbies with the Mini now since i've finally reached S rank. Some advice with this weapon would help a lot.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Post 2.2.0, the Mini Splatling's charge rate and ink efficiency buff make it even more appealing than the Tentatek, which has taken a noticeable damage nerf that puts that OU blaster into the range where Defense Ups make a difference in the TTK.

I use my darling Tatiana as my primary for Rainmaker and Tower Control and she is still as glorious as ever.
I thought it just got a double charge rate buff (for a total of [I think] 0.07 seconds!). That said, I always try to stay away from any Mini Splatlings I do find as they're beasts when it comes to close range shootouts (I did use it on Kelp Dome, Port Mackerel and Walleye Warehouse; all of them being 7+ splats matches)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom