Motion controls + standing up

Phobos

Inkling Commander
So I played a little standing up earlier this morning, and it really improves motion controls for turning left and right. If you hold the gamepad around your abdomen and turn with your body rather than your wrists, you can make big and precise adjustments to your firing on the x-axis with relatively little motion - and even do a full 180 - I guess because the turning arc is that much wider when you use your body.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
That would be very uncomfortable for long periods of time, in which I play Splatoon.

Njok

Bouncer
I have gotten so used to the way i sit when playing, that i couldn't hit a wale if it was swimming through my ink even when i am sitting up straight. So i don't think this would work for me. I can imagine how it gives you more room to move though.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Yeah I haven't tried it for an extended period of time - perhaps it would get uncomfortable after a while - but the improvement in aiming and turning so marked that I'm going to experiment with it some more.

Thebluehero

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
YoloSwaggie
I can't stand being up on my feet without moving for a while (no pun intended, wait actually it kind of is) because I'm flat footed and it causes pain. :(

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Once metagame evolves further and people hit their limits with their current playstyle, things like that may become options. The position you play in is crucial in Splatoon for every motion-control user. I play on a chair with armrests and I noticed while it's comfortable it can definitely limit my movement range. I didn't try standing up yet, though. In longterms it's probably too uncomfortable, but could be good for bursts in important matches.

Rex

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Xerhid
So I played a little standing up earlier this morning, and it really improves motion controls for turning left and right. If you hold the gamepad around your abdomen and turn with your body rather than your wrists, you can make big and precise adjustments to your firing on the x-axis with relatively little motion - and even do a full 180 - I guess because the turning arc is that much wider when you use your body.
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but question about motion controls: how much does right-stick play a role in your controls? I try to incorporate less right-stick and more motion for my left-right movement, but find myself going back to right-stick for overall movement. I tend to use right stick when moving around large swaths of maps and not expecting an encounter, then switch to motion when expecting an encounter so that my finger is free for X or Y. When retreating or feeling under pressure, I tend to revert back to right-stick. I want to use less right stick!!

Cuddlefish

Pro Squid
NNID
Anastas
Once metagame evolves further and people hit their limits with their current playstyle, things like that may become options. The position you play in is crucial in Splatoon for every motion-control user. I play on a chair with armrests and I noticed while it's comfortable it can definitely limit my movement range. I didn't try standing up yet, though. In longterms it's probably too uncomfortable, but could be good for bursts in important matches.
Like how when Hungrybox stands during a match, except it'll actually do something.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I actually do this and find it easier to aim. I don't really get tired because I sit between matches.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Like how when Hungrybox stands during a match, except it'll actually do something.
I was actually thinking about him when I wrote this XD

how much does right-stick play a role in your controls?
As a +5 user right stick is very important for me to rotate the camera in a general direction. It's really fast and I prefer it to Y steps most of the time (except for 180° turns of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom