• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

N-Zap '89: Analysis and Thoughts thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
N-Zap '89

wst_shot_quickmiddle01.png

Lv Unlocked in Shop:

-WIP-

Cost:
-WIP-

Shop Description:
-WIP-

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Mid
Damage: Low
Fire Rate: High

Sub:
wsb_sprinkler.png
Sprinkler

Special:
wsp_tornado.png
Inkstrike

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Extras:
Filename:
wst_shot_quickmiddle01

Note: Will not be accepting strategies until at least a week after game launch. They are merely placeholders for right now.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the N-Zap '89.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'M REALLY FEELING IT!
...sorry, I've been busy playing Xenoblade Chronicles ever since I got it, it's so good!
I like this new N-Zap. It's so easy to cover turf with it (between the rapid-fire shot, the Sprinkler sub and firing off Inkstrikes, which you can do frequently because of how quickly it covers turf without Inkstrikes), but it's pretty good for combat too (since it has about the range of a Splattershot (or it feels like that), but with a more focused, faster fire rate, it's fairly easy to splatter opponents if you can get them in your range).
I always felt like the N-Zap '85 was a good weapon that needed a better loadout (Splat Bomb/Echolocator isn't unusable, but it's not great for a kinda-mid-range gun like the N-Zap), and I think the '89 proves that true.
Overall, it's a great turf-covering weapon that's also alright for firefights. This is my new favorite weapon.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
I'm really not liking it. Don't get me wrong the weapon is freaking great, but its too good imo.
Doesn't matter what I use it always trades with me, or if 2 nzaps are in our base then the match is theirs because of its stupid range along with its fire rate/killing power.
and b4 yall all say git gud, no, I've gotten the jump/snuck up right behind people with the thing against others using it and it still trades.
and now I get to enjoy a splatfest of nothing but the weapon .__________________.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
I'm really not liking it. Don't get me wrong the weapon is freaking great, but its too good imo.
Doesn't matter what I use it always trades with me, or if 2 nzaps are in our base then the match is theirs because of its stupid range along with its fire rate/killing power.
and b4 yall all say git gud, no, I've gotten the jump/snuck up right behind people with the thing against others using it and it still trades.
and now I get to enjoy a splatfest of nothing but the weapon .__________________.
That could just be lag, mate.
I was getting quite a lot of it when I was trying out today's new weapons (seeing a Kraken get stuck in enemy ink is both hilarious and sad, it even has animations for this specific weird occasion I think (it looked that way, at least)), and I could definitely feel its effects (mostly while using the Octobrush, but still).
Maybe you just ended up against really laggy players. No need to get good there, just hope you don't get those guys again.

Also, yeah, Splatfest with this out is gonna be good.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
I really love this weapon but I sorely miss my Splat Bombs. The accuracy is excellent and the range is A-Ok. Surprisingly, I've been able to get more kills with this than my main weapon(Jr.) and also fewer deaths. It's probably due to the range. I think this weapon excels at assassination. Just sneak up/wait in a hidden spot, then bam! The enemy won't be able to react in time. The amount of times I've been able to pull this off successfully is a testament to how good it is. It's definitely useful and would recommend this to everyone.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Man, do I love this weapon! While it doesn't have the Suction Bombs, it does have both a Sprinkler to distract and tear into your foes and an Inkstrike to grab turf and take down foes in the blast radius. Those area also great choices for getting turf points in a flash. I've even used it to work my way up to the top in the Splatfest!

I just might be maining this alongside my Splash-O-Matic.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Its a great weapon. Not sold yet, but has high potential tobe added to my aresenal.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So after using the '89 all through Splatfest (except one match at the end with the Octobrush after finally hitting Roller Coaster King), I think the new-weapon-hype has worn off, and I gotta say...
I'm still really feeling it.
It's basically perfect for Splatfest/Turf War (are there any differences between those, outside of lighting), it has decent range/speed/spread for combat while still being good for inking, this alongside smart Sprinkler placement (and some Special Charge Ups) gave me very frequent Inkstrikes (which are always welcome), which let me cover quite a bit of the map practically on my own since I wasn't helpless against enemies and didn't take a while to cover turf like I usually am.
Also, Sprinklers are just awesome for this weapon. Throwing one into enemy territory is like throwing a Hadouken; it doesn't do that much damage, but the other team has to do something about it, or I get to cover their area and charge up for the next Inkstrike (which refills your ink so you can toss out another Sprinkler, which charges up your next Inkstrike, creating a feedback loop of inky destruction unless you get splatted). Also, you can throw it on the crane in the top area on Saltspray and it'll ink most of that area in time (again, giving you even more Inkstrikes; this is the best thing about the Sprinkler by far, it gives you quite a bit of Special just by existing for a bit if you put it in a good spot).
And this from here on is just pure conjecture right now, but the '89's probably great for Splat Zones too, since it has Sprinklers to easily cap nearby Zones and Inkstrike to contest those farther away (or just team-support, dropping an inknado on a spot is a fairly effective way to say GTFO in my experience) while still being decent for combat thanks to its fairly good rapid-fire. Really, its only weaknesses are its relatively low power per shot and its lack of answers to combat outside its max range, which can be bad but don't cripple it.
Its usefulness should be reduced in Tower Control, since Sprinkler/Inkstrike is much more suited to turf-grabbing than tower-capturing, but it isn't useless. It still has its pretty-solid rapid-fire, and Inkstrikes are easy to aim at the tower's location for GTFO or ahead of it to move or destroy future threats to your ride; Sprinklers are a bit more questionable, though I suppose you could throw one on the spire in the tower's center to spread you're team's ink as it travels.
So, yeah. The N-Zap '89 is awesome, you should give it a shot if you haven't.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
This weapon not only lives up to the hype, but crushes the Aerospray RG as the Splash-o-matic did, yet keeps the best sub and special for purely covering the stage.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I would say the 85 is better to get splats, but the 89 is better for turf. Sprinklers are much more useful than Splat Bombs due to their high ink coverage. Although I prefer the Echolocator, Inkstrikes end up charging faster and can be very useful for utility or at the end of games.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
This weapon not only lives up to the hype, but crushes the Aerospray RG as the Splash-o-matic did, yet keeps the best sub and special for purely covering the stage.
....I don't see the Splash-o-Matic or this weapon crushing the Aerospray. I use both the Aerospray and Ink Brush in Turf war and imo, this N-Zap is slightly below those in performance. While the matic is a bit more below those two weapons.

ChiePet

Pro Squid
NNID
ChiePet
....I don't see the Splash-o-Matic or this weapon crushing the Aerospray. I use both the Aerospray and Ink Brush in Turf war and imo, this N-Zap is slightly below those in performance. While the matic is a bit more below those two weapons.
Distance.
It's a matter pf being able to outreach the AErospray, really.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Distance.
It's a matter pf being able to outreach the AErospray, really.
....I see the importance in ranked mode but not turf war. It has the distance but it has a poor spread. The maps in Splatfest also did not force confrontation save for maybe port mackeral. After playing about 20% of my games with NZap I switched to Aero/Brush and immediately saw better results. I currently main Aero/Brush/Splash in turf war and I could be wrong on Nzap, as I already mentioned my verdict on it is still up in the air. But I am pretty sure from my experience the Splash doesn't crush the Aero because its points optimization depends on getting the best out of your special, which is harder than placing an ink strike.

I think the Nzap probaly relys more on how effectively you place your sprinklers and not die. If your really skilled, I can see it beating another player with the same skill level using an Aerospray.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
....I see the importance in ranked mode but not turf war. It has the distance but it has a poor spread. The maps in Splatfest also did not force confrontation save for maybe port mackeral. After playing about 20% of my games with NZap I switched to Aero/Brush and immediately saw better results. I currently main Aero/Brush/Splash in turf war and I could be wrong on Nzap, as I already mentioned my verdict on it is still up in the air. But I am pretty sure from my experience the Splash doesn't crush the Aero because its points optimization depends on getting the best out of your special, which is harder than placing an ink strike.

I think the Nzap probaly relys more on how effectively you place your sprinklers and not die. If your really skilled, I can see it beating another player with the same skill level using an Aerospray.
Well you can't use a weapon that just got released and expect to perform as well as you do/have with weapons that have been out since the games release.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Well you can't use a weapon that just got released and expect to perform as well as you do/have with weapons that have been out since the games release.

Its the same as the other Nzap and I am used to using Ink Strikes and Sprinklers due to Brush/Aero. The problem with the Nzap atm is that you have to maximize sprinklers because its more linear and thus slower to get your specials off. But like i said twice, still playing around with it.

My main contention is that the person I quoted says the Nzap and Splash "crushes" the aero in Turfing. The Splash from my experience is a weapons that plays above average in every single mode but isn't the best in any of them; Turf war included. IMO, the most optimistic word I would use "competes" not crush.

Bippzy

Full Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-7508-4027-9894
I really enjoy the 89. I was a fan of the original, but the Echolocator (while useful) wasn't my cup of tea. The Sprinkler/Inkstrike loadout is really fun, although I would have maybe preferred to sub out the Sprinkler for the Ink Wall, as no weapons I like to use actually have that as a sub weapon.

Overall, it's right up there with the Aerospray RG and the Sploosh-O-Matic as my favorites.

Also, an extra thought: They have two Zapper weapons in the game. We need a Super Scope charger weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom