• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Rapid Blaster: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Rapid Blaster

Lv Unlocked in Shop:
Lv 14

Cost:

Shop Description:
"Mitigates the weakness of the regular Blaster by giving up a little shot power for a better rate of fire."

Type:
Shooter

Stats:
Range: Low - Mid
Impact: Low
Fire Rate: Mid - Low

Sub:
Ink Mine

Special:
Bubbler

Genreal Strategies:
-WIP-

Team Strategies:
-WIP-

Success/Tournaments won:
-WIP-

Update: We are now accepting general strategies about this weapon. Please note I'll only add the strategy if I see video evidence or it is generally agreed upon in the thread.

So, with all that out of the way, please discuss your thoughts on the Rapid Blaster.

Last edited:

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Yeah, the rapid blaster looks interesting at first, but I rather just use the blaster I have currently. Being able to one shot opponents is better then damaging a lot, but they can still get away.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
Depending on how attack ups work, it could OHKO like it's more powerful cousin, but from the looks of things you'd need almost an entire set of them.
I actually have the official guide by prima and it says that no matter how many damage ups, you can't go above the hits to kill ratio. Basically, rapid blaster will always be a two hit kill.

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
I actually have the official guide by prima and it says that no matter how many damage ups, you can't go above the hits to kill ratio. Basically, rapid blaster will always be a two hit kill.
There was also quite a bit of discussion and testing done here: http://squidboards.com/threads/ability-stacking-and-diminishing-returns-damage.1841/

It's pretty much looking like the damage ups are mostly useless. If you can't lower the hits it takes to kill someone, then what's the point?

Anyway, I'm going to repost some of my thoughts on the rapid blaster from another thread here:

I was playing around with the Rapid Blaster in Splat Zones yesterday, and I honestly think it might be able to find a niche as a support weapon in a specific team combo. With the bubbler, the mine and its AOE ability, you can actually get more work done if you are actively trying to support your team rather than trying to take the zone by yourself. On Salt Spray specifically, I found that people trying to take cover on high ground or behind walls were very pressured (I didn't always get a kill, but they definitely had to leave, putting themselves in a vulnerable position) by the AOE properties of the weapon.

I also think that the bubble is a lifesaver at times and on a team where the composition doesn't have room for a Jr. I think the RB can fill that need and still be able to do other things. The mine can be great for defending the zone by placing it in choke points to catch people who just want to push off guard.

Obviously, I could be completely wrong, but I think that it may turn out that certain team compositions might actually do well with a Rapid Blaster in their line-up.

This weapon is absolutely trash in Turf Wars though. I won't argue that.

MagnaX7

Full Squid
NNID
MagnaX7
I guess they are only helpful if the opponent already has taken damage.
^So much this. The lack of a health bar for yourself makes it nearly impossible to see whether I was killed in one hit because I was damaged or because that person had attack boosts when using Rapid Blaster.

Rapid Blaster is the only thing that questions the choice for the lack of a health bar.

xXDR.SWOOCEXx

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SupahHotFire17
^So much this. The lack of a health bar for yourself makes it nearly impossible to see whether I was killed in one hit because I was damaged or because that person had attack boosts when using Rapid Blaster.

Rapid Blaster is the only thing that questions the choice for the lack of a health bar.
Your screen starts to be filled with ink as soon as you take damage. Rapid Blaster is only good for camping really.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
This weapon is really great for tower control. The key advantage rapid has over it's cousins is the distance it's shots travel, making it easier
to attack opponents safely with good positioning (whereas other blasters need to get somewhat close, which can be risky if they miss).

This variant is dedicated to helping a team hold a position moreso than assaulting one with mines and bubbler. The range helps with dislodging chargers.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
Going to post here as posting a new thread on the Rapid blaster while this thread exists would be pointless. Even if this weapon is unpopular. (Probably with good reason too for most, haha.)

I placed a spoiler that contains some of my thoughts and analysis on my use of this weapon and how i came to use this weapon. Why it's a spoiler because it's quite large and it didn't feel right to post something that large without being able to shrink it down. So i included a TLDR outside the spoiler for those unwilling to read all that's in the spoiler.

Well, as a joke and since the rapid blaster is so underrated, i thought "How far i could get in ranked with JUST the Rapid blaster" and well from a C rank, I'm now at B+ (Seems pretty average to me). You might of guessed that i ended up maining the weapon (with my gear being Colourful headphones and more likely than not, I'd use the Squid girl tunic and shoes). I looked into this thread a while ago and i pretty much agree with this weapon being a support weapon.

(Just keep in mind when reading my experiences that i'm Australian who always seems to get placed into a Japanese game so i don't know the other Metagames around the US and whatnot.,I don't use motion controls. and since i usually play on weekends and for 2-3 hours on Saturday and Sunday and an hour or 2 on Friday, my stage experience is rather limited to a few stages as i haven't played on all of the stages on ranked.(Edit) And all this occured starting from around 3 weeks ago)

In Rainmaker I'm always chipping away at the other team from afar while the commotion is going on, shooting next to the rainmaker while trying to pop the shield has proved valuable. It's range let's it poke enormously while still chipping away at the shield. If I'm daring enough I'll place an ink mine right next to it because people tend to get as close as possible to the rainmaker leading to some sweet splats or just a distraction. Most of the time I'd be placing ink mines around the rainmaker then fall back as soon as possible to avoid close combat. Getting splats with this weapon is mainly from defending, and it seems that a lot of other weapons could do this better (Same goes for all modes judging from my experience.) Also the Rainmaker can't beat the bubbler, so it's nice for those times when you're harrassing the enemy who is holding it and they start attacking you.

In splat zones it's almost like playing a charger, only except that i can perform better with it than a charger. I find ta suitable place near action to abuse my range helps in poking enemies. I always make sure i have my escape route in case smart people come along to ruin my camp. My trusty ink mine takes care of predictions in where people could attack me from giving me enough time to deal with enemies appropriately and those times when i do get flanked without noticing, i just shout a "Nice!" so that perhaps our team can realise that enemies are behind them.(This goes for pretty much any mode but turf)

Tower control...well from the few games i played on Walleye and Port Mackeral (On B minus rank), Tower control it's fun to abuse the Rapid's range. The only times where i got splatted is those times when i though "Yeah, no one's around, i'll just place an ink mine on the tower" then "carbon roller to the face!" But the splash damage really does keep the fear factor up for the enemy team. I'll just have to be prepared for the times when people actually get past my team and harass me. The only times that actually happened to me when a roller decided to come and get me, only to be destroyed by an ink mine that i placed next to the place where you can drop down from...err, how do i describe this... from where you spawn, the right or left most path leading into the large open space, then i place an ink mine right against the wall (Or just a little bit away from it) from where they drop down. If that all made sense.

Some ranked matches i usually get 2nd to 3rd, and the occasional 1st. i drop down to last most of the time if someone else is playing the defensive role. But i still win most of the time when i come last... Most of the time...

In turf, well, most of the time i use turf for other weapons that i want to play. But with the rapid blaster, you know there's something wrong with the team you're on when you play like a camper and you top the team. But there was a time when i managed to get 1000 points (including the win bonus) with this weapon but that will never happen again.

As for gear I run a set pretty much my casual set. I mentioned it before that i equip the Colourful headphones and Squid girl tunic and shoes.On the head phones we have Ink saver sub? Well it allows more shots after you put down a mine and , that's all there is too it. I like the looks and i've kept it on since virtually day 1 so yep. Power up for extra splash damage which isn't that noticeable, but it really helps in the long run. And Swim speed up because super jumping in ranked i find often leads to immediate splats because everyone right in the fray and you really don't want to risk it. Apart from scenario's where there's someone a fair distance away from the action but still way ahead of you, you'd want to use this to get to a nice camping spot quicker. Again, it's pretty much my casual set, as i prefer this set of clothing over the "competitive" set.

Just an additional stage note, similar to a chargers playstyle when playing on Moray towers you HAVE TO make sure you keep an eye out for each individual enemy squid. If you take position just above the center where chargers set themselves up, the Rapid blaster is TERRIBLE at close range, and most players avoid the ink mine that you place there, so make sure you keep your distance from the edge when you know somebody is coming up the wall. I've been splatted numerous times due to over committing to poking the rain maker only to be splatted by the 52. Gal or a similar close range weapon(that of which I'll soon fix with a more observing attitude). Oh and you're going have a tough time harassing if the enemy has any charger that isn't the Squiffers, especially the E-Litre variants. Always stay on the move and keep your movements random when being targeted by one. If possible, harass them yourself. and remove them as a threat.

Anyone out there use the normal Rapid in A- to S+ ranks? I'd love to hear some details on how to use it even more effectively. Apart from "Change yo' gear to mainstream abilities like Ink resistance and Cold blooded!"

--TLDR.---
I have reached B+ with the rapid blaster alone(though it seems like that's pretty average for any weapon?). My gear is Colourful headphones, and most of the time Squid girl Tunic, and shoes (Can't remember the subs).
Has anyone reached A - to S+ with this weapon? if so, please tell me your experiences so i (Sorta) know what to expect. Oh and I don't use motion controls.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
I saw someone who reached A+ with the Deco.
Ahh, would you happen to know how they placed in terms of score? Though i can't use the Deco as efficiently as the Stock yet, the general idea would be the same i guess. Just no bubbler. and more Sub use i would reckon.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
That's fine! At least the knowledge of a Rapid Blaster Deco reaching A+ will help motivate me in reaching the same rank (Or higher if possible) with the Stock.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
alright strategies for the rapid blaster:

rule 1: use damage ups, as many as possible. for no reason should you be using anything else.

rule 2: the vanilla IS better than the deco, except for in sz. bomb rush is sooooo good in sz, but besides that the loadout doesn't help the rapid blaster.

rule 3: avoid .96 gals, They're probably our hardest counter. Obviously you can't just ALWAYS retreat from them, but whenever possible let your teammates engage this weapon, it's really hard for the rapid to deal with.

Your job isn't to get kills. your job is to stay alive and shoot at the objective (or the route your enemy must take to get to the objective.) you're going to get a lot of kills this way, because if they challenge a rapid blaster with 4.5 damage ups, they're going to die. but it's important to prioritize staying alive beyond kills at all costs. Yeah this sorta goes for any weapon, the difference being that if you're a tentatek, you can afford to rush the tower and take 2 or 3 or even 1 player out, sacrificing yourself in the process, you can do this because you have the means to rush back in again and again. The rapid does not have this luxury. Stay alive and at your max range from the enemy. The distance will not only keep you safe but provide your team with a safe super jump location.

how to use your load-out:

Yes, mines are hard to use, but they're amazing. probably the easiest thing you can do with a mine is using it to trade, whenever the rapid gets into an unfavorable situation it's job is to escape, but sometimes you just plain can't do that, find the best cover you can, and place a mine. if an enemy gets close he'll set off the mine, which won't kill him before it kills you. but won't give him enough time to escape after he kills you.

alternatively you can use the mine to avoid being flanked. put a mine at one of your key flank points, every time you hear it go off turn around and check on it, if there's a squid go kill him, if it was the time limit, place another one.

obviously in tc you want to put the mine on the tower.

More later, I need to go to school.

Loolsaasmeem

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Loolsaasmeem
The rapid blaster is amazing on camp triggerfish.
As we all know, during the first 2 minutes while the gates are opened, the only way to get to enemy turf is to cross the middle part, so just get there as quick as possible and start shooting the part where the enemies will come. Because of the blast radius, enemies can't really push forward, they can throw bombs, just dodge them and keep pressuring them. I've done this a lot, usually at this point enemies are a little clueless what to do know. in the meantime your team does all the work.
If eventually an enemy manages to get to the big area next to the gates near your spawn point, go to the little ramp pointing to that turf. You can keep pressuring enemies there and even splat somebody if they are not careful. And even if they survive, where can they go? There are only two ways, both are stairways, which can't be inked. This is important, since you can shoot UNDER the stairway and hit them due to the blast damage. And since they cant ink those passages, they are helpless. Once you splatted all enemies there, go back to the middle section.

This works inkredibly well, I have tested it a lot and it's definitly possible to get 10+ splats with 0 deaths and over 1000 points.

Yellowkirbyguy

Senior Squid
The rapid blaster is amazing on camp triggerfish.
As we all know, during the first 2 minutes while the gates are opened, the only way to get to enemy turf is to cross the middle part, so just get there as quick as possible and start shooting the part where the enemies will come. Because of the blast radius, enemies can't really push forward, they can throw bombs, just dodge them and keep pressuring them. I've done this a lot, usually at this point enemies are a little clueless what to do know. in the meantime your team does all the work.
If eventually an enemy manages to get to the big area next to the gates near your spawn point, go to the little ramp pointing to that turf. You can keep pressuring enemies there and even splat somebody if they are not careful. And even if they survive, where can they go? There are only two ways, both are stairways, which can't be inked. This is important, since you can shoot UNDER the stairway and hit them due to the blast damage. And since they cant ink those passages, they are helpless. Once you splatted all enemies there, go back to the middle section.

This works inkredibly well, I have tested it a lot and it's definitely possible to get 10+ splats with 0 deaths and over 1000 points.
Camp trigger fish is a map that i hardly get to play on, so that knowledge is useful, thanks! (I assume that's a turf war strategy yeah?)

But is rainmaker such a devastating mode for the normal Rapid Blaster? I mean sure, it can't pop the shield fast, So this means you make it look like your popping it. Mind games. I would think that there are many occasions where people are just sitting still furiously trying to pop the shield, so you abuse your range, and poke/harass them. remember that Splash damage ink the shield, so you can hit two birds with one stone! (Or in the Rapid blasters case, multiple stones...curse it's attack power xD)

If you're feeling gutsy enough, you could place a mine right near the shield. if the enemy pops the sheild and you and the mine are still kicking. The mine would auto explode since it's covered in enemy ink. which could lead to a reset if you splat the enemy as they grab the rainmaker. (Perhaps it would be safe to say the rainmaker would be..."mine"? Bah terrible i know xD, should of used that as a tower pun. *This tower is "Mine!" * xD)

As a Rapid blaster user, you should never grab the Rain maker under normal circumstances anyway unless you're REALLY confident, otherwise it's just an insta splat and a reset, but your team now has one less inkling. (On the plus side, people running tenacity will get free special charges! Yaaaaayyyy....not recommended.)

Your team has rainmaker? You're now the watchdog/meatsheild at the back line. If you get splatted, alert your teammates with "Nice/booyah" so they know the enemy is coming from behind Sure the rapid might not handle it too well, but it certanly slows down the enemy giving your team a chance to react. (provided your team is a responsive one or just a good team in general.)

Enemy team has rainmaker? You can either get the rainmaker to focus on you so that your teammates can splat the rainmaker, (There might be that one teammate that gets through the enemies defenses, you never know. The game is purely situational). Or when you have your bubbler ready, activate it when your teammates are nearby and rush the enemy. Since Rainmaker can't beat the bubbler, it's a viable option.

This weapon is pretty much the epitome of a support/defensive weapon, but at a lower level than other weapons. So you'd need to be pretty adaptive of any situation to make full use of the Rapid blaster. And have a good team for that matter.

isjoltz

Inkling
NNID
isjoltz
I honestly like Rapid Blaster for certain Splat Zone maps.

So the main question with this weapon and other rapid blasters: why would you ever use it over any of the other blasters? The reason I think it's okay is that being able to shoot splash damage at long range, quickly, with little ink usage helps to prevent enemies from taking positions. You can just blast at it from safety near a wall. If people are hiding behind a wall, you can just chip away at them with splash damage and force them into doing something. That tiny bit of damage you deal is enough to force others into acting, either to get away or move to a different place behind cover. It makes direct hitting slightly easier, since you can lay down some ink or splash near an enemy and predict where they'll move for the direct shot follow up. While directs with other blasters kill 100% of the time, if your teammates are able to deal 1 shot from almost any other weapon, a Rapid Blaster shot will kill. Also, the quick shot speed makes it slightly quicker to roll out to the middle of the map, as you don't need to wait as long to re-enter squid form. This obviously doesn't matter on more compact maps, like museum or skatepark.
Keeping in mind this weapon's sub and special:inkmine::bubbler:.
Custom Range Blaster has a better damage and kill potential, a better sub-weapon in :splatbomb:, and a similar invincibility special in :kraken:. The rapid shots from Rapid Blaster can more readily deter enemy movement, as you can lay down ink to cut off enemies from moving forward or taking a position. Also, in splat zones and tower control, the ink mine can hold a more defensive position for you. To be honest, I prefer the custom range blaster, because I like the security of 2-shot kills.
Custom Blaster has short range, but has more damage, the :pointsensor:, and :bubbler:. I feel like Custom Blaster severely out-classes this Rapid Blaster. It kills quicker, you can reveal locations of enemies to force them into acting or to give your teammates better idea of what's going on, and it has the same special. I like the rapid blaster in most situations though, because I like to keep myself a distance away from enemies and hold ground. Custom Blaster needs to be in people's faces.

I recommend these abilities, alongside the consistently amazing :ability_inkresistance: and :ability_coldblooded:

:ability_damage:-- Damage up is basically a necessity if you aren't consistent with direct hits. One direct hit will do about 80 damage with no defenses, making a splash damage followup almost certainly kill any player. Otherwise, you're banking on some uncertain range of 2-5 splash damage shots. Damage-up will bring that to a more consistent shot-to-kill.
:ability_specialcharge:/:ability_specialsaver:-- Getting the special up serves 2 purposes: 1.) this weapon plays more of a support role, as it can't kill by itself reliably. Being able to get a Bubbler for your more damaging allies is important for pushes. 2.) you need invincibility to keep from splatting to people who rush you. If you feel like you'll be dying a lot, consider saver.
:ability_swimspeed:-- Swim up is necessary to be able to out-pace people who rush you. Anyone who's inside the range of your blast radius will quickly cause trouble, and being able to swim faster than them will make it easy to set up shots or get away. It also makes rolling out better. Being in a position to deny positioning with this weapon is important, and if you can't get into a safe spot at the start of the match, you'll find yourself playing too far back to deny sniping posts or keep the enemy from gaining middle/tower control.

Defense is not amazing, as you out-range most weapons in the game if you play right, though 52gals can get pretty lucky shots sometimes. Ink usage rate isn't that bad. I can't think of any reason to use other abilities.

Lemme know what you think.

Sadly, I can't say I reached S rank exclusively with this weapon. It's too in-consistent. You need to rely on directs a lot to play consistently, and the rampant splat-walls and splattershot weapons make it less viable, as you can't get around those at all in some games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom