Spaltoon Competitive Potential

ChrisTheGamer

Inkling
NNID
NBABBALL
Im new to Squidboards, but what is Splatoon's competitive potential? Will we be seeing it at tournaments? I really hope so. I have a Squis Squad I am in, and I love the game and am very interested in playing it competitively

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
People are working on getting a comp scene going for the game, we're all working hard on trying to figure out how the community will operate and trying to bug Nintendo enough to add some much needed features. There are a few things you can get involved in if you're interested.

And Locke don't worry about it honestly, there aren't that many similar threads and it's better to start a new one than necro an older one.

Narayan

Full Squid
NNID
suacidesquid
One Question we (a little part of the german community) were discussion alot:

Which game mode would be the best for competition? Maybe there's another thread about it but i couldn't find it. So what are your thoughts?
I don't know about rainmaker and I haven't played enough Tower Controll to have an opinion about it, but one's for sure. I do NOT want Turf War as a legit gamemode. Splat Zone is so much better, well more balanced and after all more fun to watch. But some people don't agree with me.

So what does the SquidBoards think about it?

Poxnixles

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Vitiel

Which game mode would be the best for competition? Maybe there's another thread about it but i couldn't find it. So what are your thoughts?
I don't know about rainmaker and I haven't played enough Tower Controll to have an opinion about it, but one's for sure. I do NOT want Turf War as a legit gamemode. Splat Zone is so much better, well more balanced and after all more fun to watch. But some people don't agree with me.

I dunno if I'd have issue with Turf War as a competitive mode. I think the question is better answered once we actually have lobbies on our hands. I feel all the modes at least have potential for competitive, even with Tower Control and my distaste for it.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer

We're still trying to figure this out as a community.

I will say, I think most (so far) rulesets are going to incorporate all modes. We will see how this changes with the inclusion of Rainmaker, but basically, all gamemodes are probably going to be used.

Charlight

Meme Spy

My vote goes to Splat Zones. Turf war includes a lot of luck, basically everything is determined in the last 30 seconds. Also, close wins/losses are very common, which is a bad thing. Tower control and Rainmaker are both cool for competitive too imo, I just feel as if Splat Zones is the most balanced.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
My vote goes to Splat Zones. Turf war includes a lot of luck, basically everything is determined in the last 30 seconds. Also, close wins/losses are very common, which is a bad thing. Tower control and Rainmaker are both cool for competitive too imo, I just feel as if Splat Zones is the most balanced.
This idea that Turf War includes a lot of luck and is determined in the last 30 seconds gets thrown around like it's common knowledge. No argument or proof, it is just a presupposition.

I don't think this is the case. I've already addressed this issue in another thread, so I'll just quote myself here:

Randomness: I'll address the two examples that I thought most problematic. "Ink-strikes at the end win the game." Unless the teams are dead even throughout the game a last-3-second ink-strike doesn't win you the game. And if the teams are that dead even, ink-striking at the end becomes part of the tactics, not just random happenstance. Someone on the team has to charge their special, keep it, not get splatted, and use it at the right time. That, like it or not, takes some skill. Especially if we are talking about high level competition here, where people are gunning for you and in order to charge your special you have to be in the thick of it.

"A lucky party-wipe at the end means you lose." That can happen. It also can happen in Rainmaker though, so it seems that point out things that can happen isn't the greatest argument. Then the frequency of this occurrence comes into question: "it is more likely to happen in Turf Wars." Honestly, I'm not really sure this is true, or relevant. Often you are more spread out in Turf Wars and if you've bunched up and gotten TPK'd by an Inkzooka that is a tactical error, not a luck problem. If you've spread out and all gotten killed 1v1 (or some combination), well, they were the better team. Not getting splatted and the wrong time is part of the strategy and is way less luck based than people are letting on.

EDIT: Fixed Splat Zone typo. Now reads Turf Wars.

Last edited:

Charlight

Meme Spy
This idea that Splat Zones includes a lot of luck and is determined in the last 30 seconds gets thrown around like it's common knowledge. No argument or proof, it is just a presupposition.

I don't think this is the case. I've already addressed this issue in another thread, so I'll just quote myself here:

Randomness: I'll address the two examples that I thought most problematic. "Ink-strikes at the end win the game." Unless the teams are dead even throughout the game a last-3-second ink-strike doesn't win you the game. And if the teams are that dead even, ink-striking at the end becomes part of the tactics, not just random happenstance. Someone on the team has to charge their special, keep it, not get splatted, and use it at the right time. That, like it or not, takes some skill. Especially if we are talking about high level competition here, where people are gunning for you and in order to charge your special you have to be in the thick of it.

"A lucky party-wipe at the end means you lose." That can happen. It also can happen in Rainmaker though, so it seems that point out things that can happen isn't the greatest argument. Then the frequency of this occurrence comes into question: "it is more likely to happen in Turf Wars." Honestly, I'm not really sure this is true, or relevant. Often you are more spread out in Turf Wars and if you've bunched up and gotten TPK'd by an Inkzooka that is a tactical error, not a luck problem. If you've spread out and all gotten killed 1v1 (or some combination), well, they were the better team. Not getting splatted and the wrong time is part of the strategy and is way less luck based than people are letting on.
I replied to you in the thread you linked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom