• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Splatoon Online Squads

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
I actually really like how this is organised. It's somewhat simple with a lot of details, but they're still very straightforward and easy to follow. I assume the point system will be ongoing... well, forever essentially? Until the game dies or nobody is around to keep track of the scores or something.

I don't think I'm much of a leader myself. I've been a moderator for forum sites in the past, raid leader for MMOs and group leader for other games, although I don't know what people ever thought of my skills or if they found me very charismatic. Perhaps I'll give it a go, but I think I'm more likely to join a neat looking squad with a name I like, and try to be the best I can be. :D

Here I was, thinking "XXX_HaRdCoRE Inkleengs_GiT ReKt N00b_XXX" would be a fantastic name. Maybe "ExTrEmE Inkleengs" is better. :rolleyes:

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Awesome idea, definitely sounds like it'd be quite a hoot. I wouldn't mind setting up my own squad sometime in the near future, soon as I decide on a good name, so expect me to show back up sometime real soon. But yeah, can't wait for all of this to take hold, will definitely be awesome.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I would like to join a squad too (if anyone is interested on having me on their team lol), but first I think we should play the game to know if the online is functional. I mean, it probably is since both Mario Kart 8 and Smash 4 onlines work fine, but you never know.

mininut4

Inkling Cadet
NNID
mininut4
quick question I expect to come up at some point: are squads allowed to have members on the bench? like instead of having 4, they have maybe 6 so when one isn't available, they can swap out.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
quick question I expect to come up at some point: are squads allowed to have members on the bench? like instead of having 4, they have maybe 6 so when one isn't available, they can swap out.
I think that is kinda standard in team based games. Having substitute players is really good for a team since they can practice even if the main squad has missing person.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Yeah, having extra players is always good, you won't always have you main roster available for every match, so back-ups are really handy

Jonke

Inkling
NNID
Jonke5
I like the idea of having squads, although i can't say for certain that i'll start/join a squad before release. I more often than not avoid set teams due to time constrictions, however that could change here. Maybe it will come to play later once i start to develop a feel for the game.

nfan10039

Semi-Pro Squid
I know that I want to join a squad, but as of right now, I'm not entirely sure if another one has started, and if I should make my own. I don't have too much shooter practice(this will be the first shooter game that I will own), So for right now, I shall make my own squad called the "Inky Path to Success". If anyone wants me in their squad though they should let me know ASAP

Fedorable

Inkling
NNID
Mistanutjob
iirc this game won't be supporting custom lobbies so how would this work?

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
iirc this game won't be supporting custom lobbies so how would this work?
We dont have enough information to make statements like that or either to confirm that there will be custom lobbies. All we can do is just theorycraft with all our hopes high and pray that Nintendo will get this game right.

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Also, on a note unrelated to my last post, if anyone's having trouble coming up with squad names, do consider "Team of Squids Mobilizing," Squid Killing Team," and "Calamari 9"

Xon Suprimes

Senior Squid
I want to create a squad that plays Smash Bros. and/or Splatoon. I'll call it... SQUIDSMASH! Has a nice ring to it, right?

SuperMii3D

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
This sounds like something I can get into, if the online isnt Smash like. Id definitely be interested in joining a clan or SquidSquad is something of the sort.

StarForce

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Hyrule, Mushroom, Nohr, Comet Observatory
Yeah, having extra players is always good, you won't always have you main roster available for every match, so back-ups are really handy
Yes. It's not in the rules since they are not fully implemented yet but a number is not determined. For now I view it as the Leader can form a conversation and invite 10 more people which is the max (at least in Smashboards) and that will be the announcment post or wall of expression. We don't know if Splatoon yet can handle 3 vs 4 teams or uneven member teams. I suppose it can but that is speculation. The max in the game is 4 players so Squads can accept more people. I would suggest between 6 and 8 not 10 as 10 and the Captain would be 11 in total. While the Squad is big it will also be harder to allow others in your team to play. 6 is the best with two players as backup for the main team or eight as a practice Squad and a different team for strategic purposes. (Each team may focus on their own startegy). Of course for competitions a Captain (same as in sports games) would want the best of the best so if your Squad is too big it will render some members unhappy as they will see less participation.

Platypudding

Full Squid
I like this idea a lot! well formatted and easy to understand, so props on that!

Suggestion: If this specific kind of thing was focusing on 1v1s, why not make it more like smash crew battles? I've always really liked the strategy behind deciding who gets to go into battle when, and this could solve any problems that might arise with matching players by skill level, which is hard to judge and easily manipulatable by either squad.

Instead of each pair of players doing a bo5, we could treat it as if each player has three games, or lives, and when they lose all 3 games it's the captains turn to pick a new player based on the enemy player currently out.

Of course, in smash, a lot of counterpicking players has to do with what character they're playing, so we'd likely have to say that a loadout is locked in after you pick it? Not that I know what different loadouts would even be like in 1v1s, cause that's just a question of how the meta works.

Just spitting ideas here tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, props on this idea, and I'm looking forward to forming a squad!

Diableos

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Diableos
We dont have enough information to make statements like that or either to confirm that there will be custom lobbies. All we can do is just theorycraft with all our hopes high and pray that Nintendo will get this game right.
As far as I know, there was a report that you can't change rules in private lobbies, and a particular news site worded their article on the matter awfully and some people began spreading the false info that you can't have private lobbies at all. I'm hoping private lobbies will exist otherwise that's going to really damage the longevity of the game for me. I want matches with a team of my friends against a team of other friends. I don't really think competitive Splatoon can last without private lobbies because then you can't have any online tournaments or matches against other Squads.

I want to create a squad that plays Smash Bros. and/or Splatoon. I'll call it... SQUIDSMASH! Has a nice ring to it, right?
Squash?

Yes. It's not in the rules since they are not fully implemented yet but a number is not determined. For now I view it as the Leader can form a conversation and invite 10 more people which is the max (at least in Smashboards) and that will be the announcment post or wall of expression. We don't know if Splatoon yet can handle 3 vs 4 teams or uneven member teams. I suppose it can but that is speculation. The max in the game is 4 players so Squads can accept more people. I would suggest between 6 and 8 not 10 as 10 and the Captain would be 11 in total. While the Squad is big it will also be harder to allow others in your team to play. 6 is the best with two players as backup for the main team or eight as a practice Squad and a different team for strategic purposes. (Each team may focus on their own startegy). Of course for competitions a Captain (same as in sports games) would want the best of the best so if your Squad is too big it will render some members unhappy as they will see less participation.
I see the reasoning behind this and I certainly agree, but shouldn't bigger Squads be acceptable? I'm sure there will be some people who can't join the Squads they want to join, but they don't want to lead their own, or perhaps they can't do it. What I mean is, surely if there's a big Squad, different members can battle every time they challenge/are challenged by another Squad, just to give everyone a chance. Maybe the Squad can recruit more members but just have a regular team of 4 people that battle in the tournament, with a couple of back-ups, and the other members are just there for the community aspect of it. Assuming there are private lobbies, I'm sure a Squad can just have matches amongst themselves for fun, and some people may want that friendly aspect of a group. I guess I'm thinking more of a Clan than a Squad here. I'm not sure if Clans would ever become a thing on this site, but if they did, I'm sure they could just decide on a small team from their ranks to form the Squad and win for them here.

Squads could just become the equivalent of Clans to be honest. There's a set team from each Squad to represent them, but if someone can't make it, someone else in the Squad can take their place. This idea is actually starting to remind me of raiding guilds in MMOs. There will usually be one or more raid teams with the raid leaders organising everyone. A lot of 'socials' join the guild just to be part of that community, but if there's ever a spot on the raid team because someone can't make it suddenly, one of the social members can ask to join in their stead. They'll usually get checked over to make sure they meet the requirements, and if they do, they're good to go.

However, if that does happen with Squads on this site, then you would obviously only need to include the active battlers in the main post of this tournament thread. Would be silly if multiple Squads grew large and you included every member in the post. :P

Apologies if my post here is a little jumbled, I'm feeling pretty exhausted today. I hope I made sense though!

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I like this idea a lot! well formatted and easy to understand, so props on that!

Suggestion: If this specific kind of thing was focusing on 1v1s, why not make it more like smash crew battles? I've always really liked the strategy behind deciding who gets to go into battle when, and this could solve any problems that might arise with matching players by skill level, which is hard to judge and easily manipulatable by either squad.

Instead of each pair of players doing a bo5, we could treat it as if each player has three games, or lives, and when they lose all 3 games it's the captains turn to pick a new player based on the enemy player currently out.

Of course, in smash, a lot of counterpicking players has to do with what character they're playing, so we'd likely have to say that a loadout is locked in after you pick it? Not that I know what different loadouts would even be like in 1v1s, cause that's just a question of how the meta works.

Just spitting ideas here tho ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Again, props on this idea, and I'm looking forward to forming a squad!
That's a really great idea, wonderful way to format squad 1v1s, I think that could work really well.

Oh my god that's amazing XD

Teeples

Full Squid
NNID
Flow_Teeples
Really nice thread to have all of requirements clear and precise before release.

I'm planning on creating a Splatoon section with the Mario Kart 8 team I'm in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom