Splatoon pet peeves

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
for me it’s those backline weapons like hydra and eliter that can just run away charge and shoot, it’s like they just stay in one place all game just camping there. i know this is kinda what they are supposed to do but its just really annoying imo

(im not dissing these weapons it’s just i hate going up against them)

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
backlines actually kind of get punished for not rotating positions, or they get diminishing returns on the value they are getting out of their position if they are there too long... on good stages at least. also i was just trying out eliter earlier i feel called out lol

i think the only thing i been really annoyed about with this game is when the balance patches and stage reworks are disappointing, i can't think of much i get annoyed about while actually playing the game. it's also really exciting when they are good though so it cancels out, like when zip actually got a pretty decent buff and mahi became a stage after previously making me afraid whenever it was in rotation.

Last edited:

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I have a ridiculous amount of peeves regarding the shooter class.

Contains several top tiers despite being the easiest class in the game.
Can splat out of ink nearly as fast as rollers, if not faster.
They all paint better than 90% of other weapons, half of which can't fight half as well as they can.
They can shoot over ledges and splat with falloff damage.
All of the short-range ones get bombs except .52, which gets an arguably better Splash Wall.
The best ones get buffs despite clearly not needing them.
The Nozzlenoses are the weakest members of the class despite having the most skill expression.
Squeezer still exists.
3/5 Crab Tanks are on shooters, therefore two Crab Tank weapons are completely outclassed.
Shooters as a class have received two main weapon nerfs in the game's lifespan. One barely counts.
Nobody seems to notice or care that shooters are blatantly overpowered and only ever held back by kits, except for me.

Last edited:

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
I have a ridiculous amount of peeves regarding the shooter class.

Contains several top tiers despite being the easiest class in the game.
Can splat out of ink nearly as fast as rollers, if not faster.
They all paint better than 90% of other weapons, half of which can't fight half as well as they can.
They can to shoot over ledges and splat with falloff damage.
All of the short-range ones get bombs except .52, which gets an arguably better Splash Wall.
They get buffs despite clearly not needing them.
The Nozzlenoses are the weakest members of the class despite having the most skill expression.
Squeezer still exists.
3/5 Crab Tanks are on shooters, therefore two Crab Tank weapons are completely outclassed.
Shooters as a class have received two main weapon nerfs in the game's lifespan. One barely counts.
Nobody seems to notice or care that shooters are blatantly overpowered and only ever held back by kits, except for me.
i think the people have just accepted that they just want shooters to be the flexible, easy, able to do anything type of weapon, even though it would be cool for other weapon classes to be able to do that. and there has already been so much talk about the privilege and undeserved buffs and the neglect the other main weapon classes get compared to the attention shooters get so i think people are tired of it, or just accepted this as the way the devs want shooters to be.

i was hoping big swig was going to turn into a shooter style weapon, it has insane paint and pretty threatening two shot range and speed as well as a one shot. its kits are not the best, all though i think wall works the best on it better than any other roller.

Beckett.

Semi-Pro Squid
clash blasters in solo somehow find every single way to piss me off

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
i think the people have just accepted that they just want shooters to be the flexible, easy, able to do anything type of weapon, even though it would be cool for other weapon classes to be able to do that. and there has already been so much talk about the privilege and undeserved buffs and the neglect the other main weapon classes get compared to the attention shooters get so i think people are tired of it, or just accepted this as the way the devs want shooters to be.

i was hoping big swig was going to turn into a shooter style weapon, it has insane paint and pretty threatening two shot range and speed as well as a one shot. its kits are not the best, all though i think wall works the best on it better than any other roller.
I'm pretty certain that I'll never come to accept shooters being good. It's the type of person I am.

The thing that irks me most about shooters by far, though, is that they were actually balanced in Splatoon 1. Then in Splatoon 2 they just randomly got a bunch of unnecessary buffs making them completely dominant. Like the 'Zookas, we already had this stuff figured out in the very first game. And I look at all of these people reminiscing about the good times in Splatoon 1; it's because the only viable full auto shooter was the Tentatek Splattershot. The game was fun because the meta was Slosher, H-3, Range, Mini, and Dynamo.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
The most annoying part about Splatoon 3 for me is how the devs will make terrible kits and then realize how weak those weapons are now because of it so they resort to lowering their pfs to make up for their weaknesses.
That sort of approach can be very unhealthy for the game balance but the worst part is that it could have all been avoided with better kit design.
I don't expect every kit to be amazing but after 2 games, I really think they should have had a better understanding for what these weapons would like but we still ended up with cExplo.

Last edited:

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I hate the fact that you can't use the shellout machine or the drink stand while queuing, its so annoying to accidently start queuing then have to finish your game, quit, then do the stuff you needed to do. I also find it annoying that Spike and Murch aren't in the lobby and you have to go through the loading menu to change anything about your gear.

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
My biggest pet peeve used to be not being able to access recon from the menu, but they fixed that and it's wonderful now :>

I think now if I have any annoyance it's that there's not an easy 'clean up'/reset button in recon; you have to leave and come back and sit through the start-up screen every time. I feel like I would be able to practice certain things a lot more easily if that was an option.

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
My biggest pet peeve used to be how you couldn't look at your friends list and notifications while matching, but they patched that...
Then it was how you couldn't see which king salmonid was in rotation, they patched that...
Then how you couldn't see how many boss salmonids you splatted, they patched that...
How you couldn't change your gear in between anarchy open games, patched that...
How you constantly had to refresh the matchmaking manually when the game didn't find enough people "Not enough players! Please tr-", they extended the matchmaking time...

Do you get my point? ;)

Cephalobro

My pet peeve with this game also has to do with matchmaking, this one has to do with the game putting two weapons of the same weapon class on the same team while the other team doesn't get one.

Now I know that for example, a match with three Charger users makes it inevitable that one of the teams will have two Charger users and the other team will have one, but sometimes, it likes putting all three on one team while none on the other. Like why is that a thing?

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
My pet peeve has to go to this games weapon range matchmaking
Like why is squeezer considered a backline???
Why is brella in the same matchmaking pool with its worst matchup Wiper?????
WHO PUT WIPER AGAINST BRELLA
WHO DID THIS
I NEED NAMES

Seriously though everytime I fight a wiper I always look at the top of the screen to see if they have stamp, because I just know they're going to go after me, love that

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
Look okay I get the complaints about unfair matchmaking.
But could good matchmaking have produced... this?
banger matchmaking.jpg

Would fair matchmaking really give us... this?
banger matchmaking 2.jpg

Funniest games I've played in recent memory, period

Really makes you think

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
Agreed. This is criminal.

...what happened to skill expression being good?
I don't think I need to explain how Squeezer is a problem, despite its decent skill requirement.
At this point I'm pretty sure people who don't have a problem with Squeezer are the minority.

My pet peeve with this game also has to do with matchmaking, this one has to do with the game putting two weapons of the same weapon class on the same team while the other team doesn't get one.

Now I know that for example, a match with three Charger users makes it inevitable that one of the teams will have two Charger users and the other team will have one, but sometimes, it likes putting all three on one team while none on the other. Like why is that a thing?
Yes, yes, yes. Very much yes. There's nothing more annoying than getting a triple backline team against four short-range shooters.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
I don't think I need to explain how Squeezer is a problem, despite its decent skill requirement.
At this point I'm pretty sure people who don't have a problem with Squeezer are the minority.
So I'm in the minority then. Can you explain it for me?

Grushi

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
So I'm in the minority then. Can you explain it for me?
I mean squeezer is just way too good at anything related to killing. It's hard, yes, but it gets way too much of a reward for it. It's just insanely overpowered in a way no other weapon is.

It's not very easy to explain, but it has no losing matchups and it has barely any weaknesses compared to every other slayer weapon

rosylina

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-8188-5007-1224
Scales. Scales is my pet peeve.

In order to get them, you have to kill a King Salmonid. It usually takes me 3 or 4 shifts before I can get one to show up, and 4 or 5 is usually how many shifts I play during a Salmon Run session before I get tired and want to do something else, so I don't get scales too frequently, but that's not bad in and of itself.

Then there's the drop rates, and this is where I start to have more issues. I don't think I'm alone in saying that it's a little goofy how low they can be. They also lead to the reward not really matching if our crew succeeded or not. I've gotten gold and silver scales while only getting a King to about half health, but all Bronze when beating a King with more than 30 seconds left. IMO, A successful kill should guarantee a certain amount of silver and gold scales depending on Hazard Level.

The shop is where I have less of a critical problem and more of just a pissy nitpick, but I'll get into nonetheless . Most of the prices are reasonable for someone who plays Salmon Run frequently, and even if plenty of them can be ridiculous, all of the rewards for a while were strictly Salmon Run-themed, so only a big fan of the mode would be miffed about not having them in the first place. Of course, some of the prices in conjunction with the previous issues I've mentioned are just absolutely stupid no matter how I look at it. Then, they added the previous game's Salmon Run gear rewards to this game, and they put them in the stupid scale shop!!! I don't know how else they would integrate them besides letting them be random drops from gear capsules, which would also suck, so I guess this is the lesser of two evils. Still though, why am I paying 300 bronze for the got dang Headlamp Helmet. The S1 Octoling Goggles in particular greatly upset me because that's my favorite piece of gear ever, but I gotta do the dumb scales grind to get it.

This turned into more than a pet peeve should warrant, so I guess my other pet peeve is that the Rise of the Mammalians octoling gear isn't something I can wear. Let me slay, Nintendo. Stop holding me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom