Splatterhopping

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

this gif has been floating around for a while, demonstrating the technique. it's called a splatterhop. in theory, it should be a useful movement technique that gets you from point a to point b faster. but how effective is it?

with the now-over first round of the global testfire, i took it upon myself to test it out. i only had an hour to do it and it was just an afterthought, so forgive me if i'm wrong about something! we have 3 weeks until the game is out and we can all test it for ourselves.

it's actually very easy. you can do it up and down slopes just fine, and around corners pretty easily. i managed to do it on the sharp 90 degree corner on saltspray rig on the straightaway alley infront of your spawn. it takes some practice, but you can do this almost anywhere.

the amount of time you save doing this differs depending on how you do it. if you do hops very low to the ground, with just enough time to shoot and go into squid form, you'll only be saving a few seconds (which still makes a difference.)
however, if you do long jumps with bigger ink puddles on the ground, you'll gain more momentum and jump farther, saving even more time. it takes practice doing it, since shooting the right puddle size while you're falling may be difficult, but it's a worthwhile endeavor practicing doing so because of the importance of getting from point a to point b as fast as possible, because of the small team sizes and short time limit. being in the right time and place in this game is life or death.

it's easy to do with the splattershot and jr, however the splat roller takes much too long to flick to splatterhop. because of this, in competitive play, the roller user will take longer to get from one area to the next im addition to being more vulnerable because of the lack of range. competitive teams will probably have one roller user at a time, with one player vaguely near them for security

i only tried it once with a splat charger, but i don't think it's possible. it makes too small of a puddle unless you charge it, which you don't have time for. it might be possible if you optimize your jumps perfectly: getting the exact right distance and height each time, but i don't know if you can actually pull it off. charger users won't really want to get too close to the front lines anyway.

even though you can only really do this with a shooter type weapon, don't think of it as a disadvantage to the technique. think of it like an advantage to using those weapons. they're already very versatile and effective, but if they give you access to a technique that lets you build momentum and travel the map faster, they're even better than they were before! it's not cheap or broken at all; the splatterhop has no impact on the combat of the game. all it does is let you navigate the map faster. splat rollers, who make the biggest difference when it comes to ink coverage, can't do it, and snipers with deadly aim (likely) cannot do this either. you stand just as good of a chance against a player utilizing this as you do against a player who isn't.

the splatterhop, more or less, is this game's rocketjump. a skillful technique that asks you to use a specific weapon and, in return, gives you great mobility. use it, and use it wisely.

note: since this info is based off a pre-release demo of the game, it might change coming may 29th. i don't think this is going to be patched out since it's not really a glitch or an exploit; it's just utilizing the momentum you gain in the air. however, it could definitely be easier or possible to do with other weapons, such as if uncharged puddles from the charger are larger and quicker to fire. hence why this is a forum thread, and not a guide. i will definitely be writing a more professional guide once the game is out, though!

Last edited:

EvilMario

Inkling
NNID
EvilMario
Cool looking tech. I look forward to see how it impacts rollouts and how it'll impact weapon favoritism.

it's easy to do with the splattershot and jr, however the splat roller takes much too long to flick to splatterhop. because of this, in competitive play, the roller user will take longer to get from one area to the next im addition to being more vulnerable because of the lack of range. competitive teams will probably have one roller user at a time, with one player vaguely near them for security
That was my impression as well. A shooter / gun with the Roller to protect them from ranged attacks, but also to help climb vertically when need be. As you point out, roller is going to be slow to get into the action so some vertical mobility might be appreciated from time to time.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
That was my impression as well. A shooter / gun with the Roller to protect them from ranged attacks, but also to help climb vertically when need be. As you point out, roller is going to be slow to get into the action so some vertical mobility might be appreciated from time to time.
my first impression on how teams will work is a team of players on the front lines, covering the map around them and denying the other team of an area. map control is going to be huge in this game. one player will probably pull out a roller and cover areas on the flank or areas the other team's moved past, and the last player is probably going to be between the roller and duo in the front, keeping the roller secure and helping them move from point a to point b, and as a backup player on the front lines if things get out of hand

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Will have to try this come next demo round...
Also doesn anyone around here have a capture card? Would be nice to get some better footage of the technique...

Emitan

Inkling
NNID
Emitan
Also doesn anyone around here have a capture card? Would be nice to get some better footage of the technique...
I have one. I'll probably miss the second test time but I should be able to record the final hour.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I have one. I'll probably miss the second test time but I should be able to record the final hour.
Would be awesome if you could get some footage. Maybe someone could use it to make a very short tutorial as well I would but the only editor I have is Movie Maker ;_;

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i mean, there's a gif of it right up there...

it's not pretty but if you want proof that it exists in works, it's right in front of you
the technique is really straight forward, you won't need a tutorial telling you how to execute it

i understand if you just want to see it happening in 1080p 60fps though

WydrA

Inkling Commander
i mean, there's a gif of it right up there...

it's not pretty but if you want proof that it exists in works, it's right in front of you
the technique is really straight forward, you won't need a tutorial telling you how to execute it

i understand if you just want to see it happening in 1080p 60fps though
Yeah I was just think the higher quality the better. Especially in case someone wanted to make a tutorial with the footage or something.

gameonion

Full Squid
NNID
gameonion
Yeah I was just think the higher quality the better. Especially in case someone wanted to make a tutorial with the footage or something.
I can try doing that, as I said before. I own a Capture Card and I have it currently open and ready to capture... thingys.

Drexel

Inkling
NNID
Valk54
Definitely looking forward to trying this in about 2 hours, this is going to help me out lots.

NNID
Shado_Chimera
I just wanted to reinforce part of what OP said. Longer jumps are better. You shoot more ink, keep all your speed and it's easier to perform. On that note changing direction in mid air will cut your extra momentum, sometimes this will be optimal but just noting it. It might be possible to aim in other directions while keeping momentum but I was having trouble doing it. :<

Emitan

Inkling
NNID
Emitan
I just woke up and my fingers were sleepy but here is me messing around in the tutorial a bit

EDIT: Okay I do a lot better here until I'm splattered by someone

Last edited:

WydrA

Inkling Commander
I just woke up and my fingers were sleepy but here is me messing around in the tutorial a bit

EDIT: Okay I do a lot better here until I'm splattered by someone

You gotta squid tech when you get in a fight like that man :)
All the same, great vids.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
i was impressed with this till i played the game again at pax east. being in more ink not exposing yourself for mobility sake is more important to me and if someone sees you doing this, you're going to get splattered because you're not covering enough area for mobility/stealthiness/escapability. i know people will argue its merit but i'd rather have more room to maneuver than a small pool that i keep jumping to.

only 1 game in the last 2 days have i seen someone do this, they tried to avoid me but i knew they were in that specific spot, they wasted so much time hiding then died then i covered that whole area after killing them.

it's gimmicky and pointless to me personally with no added benefit over just moving quickly in ink on the ground. line of sighting anyone out of squid form is not as awesome or as quick as LOSing someone in squid form.

Kibzu

Inkling
NNID
KirambazToKibz
i was impressed with this till i played the game again at pax east. being in more ink not exposing yourself for mobility sake is more important to me and if someone sees you doing this, you're going to get splattered because you're not covering enough area for mobility/stealthiness/escapability. i know people will argue its merit but i'd rather have more room to maneuver than a small pool that i keep jumping to.

only 1 game in the last 2 days have i seen someone do this, they tried to avoid me but i knew they were in that specific spot, they wasted so much time hiding then died then i covered that whole area after killing them.

it's gimmicky and pointless to me personally with no added benefit over just moving quickly in ink on the ground. line of sighting anyone out of squid form is not as awesome or as quick as LOSing someone in squid form.
Its not pointless at all.. Why are people so blind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom