• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Squad Balance

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Splatoon isn't a super ultra technical game. Voice chat isn't required to do your part in a team. This kind of makes me not want to even try to play competitive or have/be in a clan. I don't want no one dictating what weapon they want or need me to use. I just want to play the damn game how I want.
I agree with you on the voice chat. It's most certainly not required in a game like Splatoon. But team coordination is still a part of it. If you can find a clan that requires your skills with a certain weapon, great. But it's still competitive, and the objective is to win. You must work in conjunction with your teammates, and that also means having an acute weapon choice. Not saying you can't use the Brush/Roller/Splattershot or whatever it is you wish to use, but it's not going to help your team if you don't have the right composition and combination of weapons. A team with 2 Rollers, for example, really isn't going to function properly at all.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i have no doubt in my mind the community will foster a competitive scene

how lively and healthy it will be depends on the developers support of it (balance patches, LAN support, etc) but a competitive scene will definitely exist in some form or another

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I feel like the dominant clans will be distributing different weapons to teammates and each person will have a responsibility to adhere to. With good coordination and teamwork, win consistently will be quite common.

A lot a people are here for the competitive aspect of the game so yes, this is a competitive thread and will be a competitive game.
I think he meant he doubts that voice chat will be mandatory... not that he doubts that the game will be competitive...

DaKid

Pro Squid
Trust me, it's true.
We'd need to play the game to determine that.
I feel like the dominant clans will be distributing different weapons to teammates and each person will have a responsibility to adhere to. With good coordination and teamwork, win consistently will be quite common.

A lot a people are here for the competitive aspect of the game so yes, this is a competitive thread and will be a competitive game.
I never said it won't and can't be played competitively. I'm only in doubt it can be to the extent people want it to be. Like Mario Kart. There's a lot of people here because they're fans of the game and want to play it. But I can tell the competitive people are going to probably like the competitive side of Smash.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
ALL INKLING
ROLLERS ONLY
FINAL DESTI- oh wait.

Anywho, you need coverage and pressure, so .52 gals and rollers could be a wonderful combo if doubled up. Maybe Roller, 52, 52, splattershot?
there's a lot of ways you can get creative with the weapons in this game

for example, since the splattershot jr fires so quickly but has an unpredictable spray pattern, i'd imagine it will have a niche use for teams in that you can scout around with it by splatterhopping around the map and finding high ground. you can also get a lot of frags with it if you just stay on the flank, since it has short range, but is deadly up close, like an smg-based gun should be

Lozjam

Inkster Jr.

I never said it won't and can't be played competitively. I'm only in doubt it can be to the extent people want it to be. Like Mario Kart. There's a lot of people here because they're fans of the game and want to play it. But I can tell the competitive people are going to probably like the competitive side of Smash.
This game is explicitly made to be part of ESports, the developers confirmed that.
Also, what the hell is wrong with competitive smashers? Sure, there are a few idiots out there, but you would be very hard pressed to find a more passionate group.
Smashers are going to flock to this game, but I don't conceive there will be much arguing. The rules are all later out by the developers, there is depth, there aren't any random things, this game is based on Skill and teamwork, there is very little to mess up with this formula, nor does it need to bed tinkered by the community.
Really, this game has the potential to have a competitive community that is far larger than smash, as long as it can grow. This game is inviting to newcomers, but it also is mostly made for competitive people. This is a great set-up, and we just need to foster this competitive community.

Anyway, on the way of weapons. I find it interesting that you can only get certain weapons after a certain rank. I wonder how powerful weapons and equipment can get.
We also need to account that weapons of the same type, have different stats. Luckily, each player needs to bring their wii U to have a competitive local match, so I don't think it will be a problem.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Anyway, on the way of weapons. I find it interesting that you can only get certain weapons after a certain rank. I wonder how powerful weapons and equipment can get.
We also need to account that weapons of the same type, have different stats. Luckily, each player needs to bring their wii U to have a competitive local match, so I don't think it will be a problem.
I'm not sure if they worded that right. I think they just meant "if you have enough gold to buy them". I don't think certain weapons will actually be locked behind a level wall.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn

As a member of the Competitive Smash community, I can say this:
The divide between casual and competitive Smash exists for obvious reasons, and the same will happen with practically all competitive games ever made, ever. It's just a bit more extreme in Smash Bros. Also no, this game has the potential to go far beyond the likes of Mario Kart, it just needs the support behind it which we pretty much have garnered up in this site.

Anyway back on topic with what @Venus of the Desert Bloom started, I think the best strategy actually might depend on the map. For example, Walleye Warehouse. It's a small, straightforward map with two side paths. In Splat Zones, the Zone is in the middle. From the gameplay I've seen, it gets hectic around that area, with 1 on 1 duels happening constantly. But there's always a few people who sidewind around the map, come in for the kill, and quickly return back from where they came to avoid getting themselves splatted, as of course dying puts your team at an obvious disadvantage for about 5 seconds (would be longer for a bigger map), which could be the difference between a gained/lost zone. (IDC if this is a run-on sentence) After a couple players are down, you need to quickly fill the zone with your ink within the given 5 seconds. As such, you'll need the mobility to get around all while having the potential to kill quick and retreat, and you need to be able to fill the zone quickly. I believe the best set of weapons for this map is:
Brush, Splattershot Jr., .52 Gal, Blaster.

However, It has been revealed that Blackbelly Skatepark's Splat Zone version has two Zones, and is a more open map with a central sniping point. I think getting the first kill and then guarding the sniping point is key for this map, so I believe that because of the open-ness of the map and the distraction between guarding two zones, the best choice of weapons is:
Splat Charger, Splattershot Jr, Roller (x2)
By surrounding the central point in ink, you create a safe zone in which the sniper has guaranteed protection from anyone with a medium-close ranged weapon. Since you have to keep up the ink and spread it quickly to provide this, you'd need two Rollers to keep up the ink and your enemies away.

Last edited:

FlareHabanero

Increases the Excitement
Just remember to not follow the methods used by the Smash community, mainly because Splatoon and Smash are two different beasts. It would like trying to to make a snake roller-skate, it just won't gel.

Also I wouldn't worry about rankings blocking off weapons either way, since that will more or less only apply to online shenanigans.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not sure if they worded that right. I think they just meant "if you have enough gold to buy them". I don't think certain weapons will actually be locked behind a level wall.
Who knows. I think some might be, since that's common in fps games. That doesn't sound like Nintendo, though, so they'll probably take the Halo route and just make it based on gold.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I think one of the official tumblr posts did mention that some shopkeepers wouldn't make certain items available for purchase until you were "cool enough" though, which may imply some kind of level restriction.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I think one of the official tumblr posts did mention that some shopkeepers wouldn't make certain items available for purchase until you were "cool enough" though, which may imply some kind of level restriction.
Ah... that does sound familiar, now that you mention it. I suppose I have to retract my earlier thoughts, then. Gear probably is level restricted.

Aura

Infiltrator
I dunno about you guys but I think I'm ready for that paint roller scythe. Love it ♥

As for squad balance, I like the weapon set limitation.Being able to swap weapons mid game doesn't fit this kind of game.

Oni

Full Squid
i really hope we dont have the same thing in tf2 but instead of having 4 snipers on one team its 4 paintrollers.

Playing for fun is okay but its not fun being steamrolled. . .or should i say paintrolled

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom