(Suggestion/Discussion) Inktana 2.0

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
-Inktana 1.0 Thread Here-

Hello Again Everyone! I, the Great Dr. Archibald Octpyrean have returned. I have heard your worries and woes that katanas are too dangerous for your young! So I have designed a... softer version of the Inktana that is far less threatening. Even though the cool-factor has dropped 10-fold it now looks more fitting for your Turf Wars. I will also Address any previous concerns that were sent to me from after my other letter. With out Further ado, in glorious color!

Octpyrean Inktana 2.0

Octpyreus Inktana 2point0.png

---

While the Color Scheme Doesn't follow my personal design philosophies, the Inktana 2.0 looks, and feels like it belongs in your favorite pass-time.
---

Inktana

• Range: 20 - 75
    • Damage: 60 (Slash) - 40 (Dash)
    • Type: Inktana (Variant of the Charger)
    • Sub: ???
    • Special: ???
Function:

The Wielder of the Inktana Has two methods of attack: A charged Dash, and a regular Slash. Pressing and Holding ZR will cause your character to take a preparing animation, hand on the hilt and another on the scabbard. If the Inktana is Charged past the 1/4th mark, the Inktana will release a line of pressurized ink when the button is released, much like a regular charger just will less range. The moment the Ink lands the player dashes forwards and "Skates" Across the Ink that was just made, placing them neatly at the end of the trail. Any Collisions with terrain will stop them dead in their tracks. They are still effected by the game physics so you can and will fall off things. At any point the Character may simply "tap" the ZR button to slash with the Inktana, even near the end of the dash.

If an enemy is struck by the charge it does 60 damage.

If the enemy is slashed it does 40 damage.

This is a two shot splat if done correctly: Charge proper distance -> Release and hit with Line -> Dash to End of Line -> Slash to splat.

There are a few large drawbacks with the Inktana, most importantly your dash location is telegraphed. Enemies will know where you intend to dash to. Secondly when ink is laid down, after the charge, there is a lag before the user dashes to the desired location.

Inktana Attack Visualization.jpg

@redacteddd @Reila @Voidaken

Several of your Great Minds Posted Concerns about the visuals and the message the violent looking blade Portrayed, hopefully this new design eliminate those concerns.

@ILikeKirbys

With my other letter you asked several Questions. I plan to answer them here.

Firstly, can you do the dash in midair? Because that seems like it could be possible if you released the charged slash in midair, and it could be rather fun (airdashing is always fun, right?) if it were doable, though the dashing-through-the-ink part makes me wonder if that's actually possible with your Inktana.

This Is a very valid question. While dashing, the user would remain in kid form. However the user will always dash along the line that was laid down. If that line leads them off the edge of anything, gravity will take over, however their forward momentum will remain, at least in this iteration. In practice that could cause some issues.

Secondly, if an Inkling (much as we'd like to, not being ink-based life and also being 10 tiny puffballs means we're banned from actually participating in Turf Wars ourselves, for size-, numerical- and being-invincible-to-all-the-weapons-related reasons) were to use your Inktana in an area covered in their own team's ink, could they slide further than the dash would normally take them (by sliding in the rest of the ink)? Not a necessary thing, I'm just curious.

The Dash of the user is limited by the amount of charge he/she uses. It has been calculated to end at the end of the ink trail, no matter how much ink is there previously, or is used during the dash. This MAY be canceled by going into squid form, however the forward momentum will remain, so it is difficult to regain control.

Also, since we heard you were offering this weapon to the Inklings for use in Turf Wars (our second-favorite thing to watch, after Steven Universe), we had a question; what, exactly, would this weapon have for its loadout? You know, what its sub-weapon and Special attack would be. This seems like an important piece of a weapon pitch, but we didn't see it anywhere, so did we miss it? And if we could make a couple of suggestions, #7 suggested Sprinkler/Inkstrike, for a loadout that addresses the assumed-by-7 lack of turf-covering speed inherent in this weapon's design (since it's a Charger offshoot, is the logic he used), while #2 thought Splash Wall/Kraken would be a good defensive loadout (you could charge up the slash behind a wall, then strike through it, or toss it to put a wall between yourself and enemies while you go elsewhere, or put one up for your teammates to use, and Kraken is just awesome, was his reasoning), and #10 figures Splat Bomb/Bubbler might be a workable offensive loadout (using Splat Bombs for long-distance combat, and Bubbler because you have a method of closing the distance with the dashes so it could work well, at least he thinks so). We don't know if those would work (or at least we don't agree), but figured they might be worth throwing out there.

I Intend on Releasing several new Subweapon schematics and Special Schematics in the near future. The sub weapon I'm debating on adding to the Inktana is called (Name Pending) the Ink Screen. It's a bomb type weapon that obscures the view of any enemy inkling within the area of effect. I'm also considering (Name Pending) a type of throw weapon that utilizes luminescent ink. I've discovered, while it isn't as deadly as even the burst bombs, it causes a bright flash that temporarily reduces vision for all affected.

As for the special you'll just have to wait and find out.
For your final point I chose Inktana due to the weapons resemblance to a katana. It's a little less so now, so I'm open to suggestions.

As Always I'm happy to hear any feedback.

Here's the original design In case anyone was curious

Octpyreus Inktana.png

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Dr. Octpyrean,
Thanks for the quick response. We like the new look of your Inktana (name should still be fine, or at least we can't come up with anything better), and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to use (and we could, with some teamwork, though for the reasons mentioned in our last letter we can't do so in Turf Wars). And thank you for addressing our questions, that was very helpful.
Still, we do have a few questions (one was probably not very well stated last time, one just occurred to us): Firstly, if you release a charged slash in midair, would you get a burst of forward momentum when the "skating"-dash would normally occur, or would you just perform the dash once you landed, or would there be no dash? Secondly, can you perform slashes (charged or uncharged) while "skating" from a previous slash (not when you bump into someone, just while dashing)? Because that seems like it would be a good way to get around, if you could.
Besides those probably-minor questions, this looks like great fun as a weapon! Best of luck on your weapon pitch!

Sincerely,
Kirbys
A small mob of puffballs following our heart.

/RPAttempt

The new Inktana looks like it could be in Splatoon, great work on the design (though the other one could probably work as a weapon-variant, like the E-Liter to the Splat Charger). Good job, mate.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
Dr. Octpyrean,
Thanks for the quick response. We like the new look of your Inktana (name should still be fine, or at least we can't come up with anything better), and it looks like it would be a lot of fun to use (and we could, with some teamwork, though for the reasons mentioned in our last letter we can't do so in Turf Wars). And thank you for addressing our questions, that was very helpful.
Still, we do have a few questions (one was probably not very well stated last time, one just occurred to us): Firstly, if you release a charged slash in midair, would you get a burst of forward momentum when the "skating"-dash would normally occur, or would you just perform the dash once you landed, or would there be no dash? Secondly, can you perform slashes (charged or uncharged) while "skating" from a previous slash (not when you bump into someone, just while dashing)? Because that seems like it would be a good way to get around, if you could.
Besides those probably-minor questions, this looks like great fun as a weapon! Best of luck on your weapon pitch!

Sincerely,
Kirbys
A small mob of puffballs following our heart.

/RPAttempt

The new Inktana looks like it could be in Splatoon, great work on the design (though the other one could probably work as a weapon-variant, like the E-Liter to the Splat Charger). Good job, mate.

You would get a burst of forward momentum. Though this mechanic could cause issues getting where you aren't supposed to on certain maps.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
You would get a burst of forward momentum. Though this mechanic could cause issues getting where you aren't supposed to on certain maps.
Well, getting to places you normally couldn't probably wouldn't be that big of a problem, since reaching shortcuts only lets you reach some areas a bit faster and reaching spawn-point-platforms (like on Saltspray or Triggerfish, which are normally inaccessible but can be shot onto) would only work for a little bit before you got splatted (either by teamwork, a bomb or a lucky shot), and some would just get you pushed back by the spawn-point-shield. I could see it being maybe a problem, but for the most part it would probably just be a cool but not that effective exploit (though maybe I'm overlooking something). Also, would charging it more give you more momentum on air release, or is it the same amount after 1/4 charge? Just curious.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
Well, getting to places you normally couldn't probably wouldn't be that big of a problem, since reaching shortcuts only lets you reach some areas a bit faster and reaching spawn-point-platforms (like on Saltspray or Triggerfish, which are normally inaccessible but can be shot onto) would only work for a little bit before you got splatted (either by teamwork, a bomb or a lucky shot), and some would just get you pushed back by the spawn-point-shield. I could see it being maybe a problem, but for the most part it would probably just be a cool but not that effective exploit (though maybe I'm overlooking something). Also, would charging it more give you more momentum on air release, or is it the same amount after 1/4 charge? Just curious.
The more it's charged the farther you go. There's a small attachment showing the major distances. It's that Weird Pink one. It hurts your eyes if it's too big so It's just a thumbnail.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
The more it's charged the farther you go. There's a small attachment showing the major distances. It's that Weird Pink one. It hurts your eyes if it's too big so It's just a thumbnail.
Ah, I assumed that pic was for ground dashing only. So it applies for air slashes as well? Cool, makes it a bit easier to gauge (very roughly, purely in my head) where I might be able to make this thing take me. Camp Triggerfish's annoying gap in the middle between paths would be easily traversable, for one, and the fall to center on Moray Towers would certainly be interesting with this weapon, and I can't help but think there might be jumpable paths on Flounder Heights with this thing, to name a few examples. Thanks mate.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
So to be clear, you are exposed to shots during the dash?

Design's good.
Well, you can turn into a squid during the dash, so you might avoid a shot or two that way (your hitbox is smaller while you're a squid, yeah? Because it feels like it should be), but yeah, you're totally exposed while dashing.

ArcEmpyreus

Creative Consultant
So to be clear, you are exposed to shots during the dash?

Design's good.
Well, you can turn into a squid during the dash, so you might avoid a shot or two that way (your hitbox is smaller while you're a squid, yeah? Because it feels like it should be), but yeah, you're totally exposed while dashing.
Both of you are correct. To be clear though I'm Assuming max charge will take around Squiffer time. Which can be adjusted during testing of course. Additionally the Dash itself will be faster than the brush, So unless the enemy you're dashing too (already Hurt and drowning in your ink) Just aims directly at you and prays, you'll be fine.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
If you don't like the Inktana name due to the design name, InkSabre or Saber might fit nicely in this niche.
If you had to, what are a few loadouts of already existing sub/special weapons you would pair with this gear? and why

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom