Team Makeup Meta

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
So what're y'all thinking we might see for the meta team makeup, something a tank, a speedy guy, etc. Or something along those lines. I personally am not actually as familiar with what weapons are in the game and what they do just yet, but still, how do y'all think teams will be composed?

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
i said it on the last thread i saw you, but i think it'll mostly be splattershot variants with one roller

a roller on the back where no one is around, to cover up dry ground and enemy ink

someone vaguely near the area of the roller to both scout the flank and protect them from danger (since the rollers are in practicality an ambush melee weapon since it's easy to get out of flicking range)

two players on the front lines, away from the flanks,who attack the opposing team head on, marking their territory with ink after fights

i don't think there'll be a charger/rifle user in the back because it's a really niche weapon. the weapon gets the job done, but it's the exact opposite of flexible, and with a max of 4 players per team, you'll want weapons with as much broad use as possible. i think it'll be good in turf war and splat zone pubs, but not higher level competitive gameplay

these are just my own thoughts on how it would work. the game is really, really unique, and it's not even out, so we can't take the meta from another game and make realistic comparisons and guesses... and to be honest, that's what makes me so excited about the game

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I think that the rifles could find some Use, personally. If nothing else, their ability to shoot those long thin lines can be a huge asset to your team's mobility. So I feel you could afford a player slot into that more support type role of opening up your team to fast access across the map.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I think that the rifles could find some Use, personally. If nothing else, their ability to shoot those long thin lines can be a huge asset to your team's mobility. So I feel you could afford a player slot into that more support type role of opening up your team to fast access across the map.
they definitely have their uses, it's just they're not very adaptable and in the long run the versatile use of the splattershots will probably outweigh the use of the rifles in competitive splatoon (not in regular matches,) even if rifles outshines the splattershots in certain niches

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
I want to say that you can't, though I'm not completely certain, but if you can change your loadout mid match then I'm sure starting out with one rifle just to roll out, especially on Splat Zones, and then just switching out with be standard

thefro

Full Squid
I want to say that you can't, though I'm not completely certain, but if you can change your loadout mid match then I'm sure starting out with one rifle just to roll out, especially on Splat Zones, and then just switching out with be standard
The charger should be pretty useful in Splat Zones where holding ground and stopping the other team means more than Turf War. And you're right that it'll be help for rollouts. I also don't think you can switch your loadout mid-match.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
The charger should be pretty useful in Splat Zones where holding ground and stopping the other team means more than Turf War. And you're right that it'll be help for rollouts. I also don't think you can switch your loadout mid-match.
honestly splat zones seems the least likely place rifles would see use, considering that they're not so great at capturing the zone because of their poor ink coverage, and the zone is going to have a lot of territorial disputes, obviously...

i could see some teams bringing it out as a mix up when the enemy isn't expecting it and has trouble adjusting their strats to it, like the kritz in tf2. the other team can't cap the zone if they can't get to it, right? but considering you can't change your loadout mid-match (just between rounds) it would be hard to execute on that

Copilot

Senior Squid
NNID
CosmicCondor
Alright yeah, if you can't change mid match it's probably not nearly as useful

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
honestly splat zones seems the least likely place rifles would see use, considering that they're not so great at capturing the zone because of their poor ink coverage, and the zone is going to have a lot of territorial disputes, obviously...

i could see some teams bringing it out as a mix up when the enemy isn't expecting it and has trouble adjusting their strats to it, like the kritz in tf2. the other team can't cap the zone if they can't get to it, right? but considering you can't change your loadout mid-match (just between rounds) it would be hard to execute on that
I actually strongly disagree with this. The rifles' elimination potential alone makes it really viable choice for Splat Zones praticularly. Dying in Splat Zone game is much more punishing than in Turf War just because it's about zone control. 1 rifle in a team can be super useful if the user can aim quickly and keep optimal distance from the enemies. Even though it is kinda the "sniper rifle" of the game, it can be really dangerous in fast and close combat that Splatoon is.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I actually strongly disagree with this. The rifles' elimination potential alone makes it really viable choice for Splat Zones praticularly. Dying in Splat Zone game is much more punishing than in Turf War just because it's about zone control. 1 rifle in a team can be super useful if the user can aim quickly and keep optimal distance from the enemies. Even though it is kinda the "sniper rifle" of the game, it can be really dangerous in fast and close combat that Splatoon is.
i would agree with this if it was 6v6 or even 5v5 as opposed to 4v4. i do think the splat charger will find a niche that some teams will use because of the reasons you listed, but i really doubt it'll be run on every team... it's just not versatile enough and effectively makes the game 3 on 4 in most situations because of that. splattershots don't have the same utility in safely engaging the enemy from a long range like the rifles do, but they just get the job done. and when you only have a few amount of players on your team, that's what you want

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
i would agree with this if it was 6v6 or even 5v5 as opposed to 4v4. i do think the splat charger will find a niche that some teams will use because of the reasons you listed, but i really doubt it'll be run on every team... it's just not versatile enough and effectively makes the game 3 on 4 in most situations because of that. splattershots don't have the same utility in safely engaging the enemy from a long range like the rifles do, but they just get the job done. and when you only have a few amount of players on your team, that's what you want
Yeah, I totally got that. I find it quite interesting that the team size is highly limiting factor in Splatoon. There being pretty good variation of weapons you can think that there will be many different team setups people will run. And hopefully there isn't one real optimal setup that will rock majority of the games. I'd love to see good variation between the teams.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
Yeah, I totally got that. I find it quite interesting that the team size is highly limiting factor in Splatoon. There being pretty good variation of weapons you can think that there will be many different team setups people will run. And hopefully there isn't one real optimal setup that will rock majority of the games. I'd love to see good variation between the teams.
i agree, i think the low team size is gonna bring out a lot of creativity from teams. there's a lot of weapons that are effective in their niche, but it's a big risk vs reward kind of situation. you could go with a lot of all purpose weapons, or get some players to fill a more specialized role and support them

Nap1400

Inkling
NNID
Nap1400
How much range do Chargers have, anyway? Is there like a variety of the gun that has essentially infinite range like a sniper rifle? If so then I could see that getting a lot of use for certain setups, even if it would probably end up having a ridiculously high learning curve. A good shot can easily help carry a team as long as there aren't too many of them (though that probably goes for most shooters really).

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
How much range do Chargers have, anyway? Is there like a variety of the gun that has essentially infinite range like a sniper rifle? If so then I could see that getting a lot of use for certain setups, even if it would probably end up having a ridiculously high learning curve. A good shot can easily help carry a team as long as there aren't too many of them (though that probably goes for most shooters really).
There is limited range a weapon can shoot ink on. Check this out at 6:44:

The link shows the range of the standard rifle. I dont know if there is a variation of that specific gun which shoots farther but one that shoots shorther surely exists. To put it simply: that gun in the video is the gun that shoots the farthers as far as I know.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster

you can definitely see the ink has some dropoff around the edge of the ramp there. although it's misleading since it probably goes down the slope, it's not infinite range at all, although it is definitely farther than splattershots shoot. in projared's splat zones gameplay on walleye warehouse, a person using the rifle was seen on a crate and shooting across the map, so it definitely has range

my guess is it goes directly where your crosshair is without much of an arc, but has a distinct dropoff after a certain amount of distance

Nap1400

Inkling
NNID
Nap1400
I mean I knew that. I just figured with all the variations on weapons we might end up with one that has longer range with a longer charge time to compensate or something like that. Sort of an inverse of that sniper that had a shorter charge rate but shorter distance.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
I mean I knew that. I just figured with all the variations on weapons we might end up with one that has longer range with a longer charge time to compensate or something like that. Sort of an inverse of that sniper that had a shorter charge rate but shorter distance.
possibly. that might be too effective on some maps that have open sights between spawns, even though you can't kill people in spawn in splatoon you can still lock them in there by shooting them once they get out

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
There is a thread like this already but I can see teams being composed for the purpose of countering the other team.

KawaiiChao

Full Squid
Depends on what the gamemode is. For Cover the most ground, I can see rollers, paintbrushes, splatter shots - the usual stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom