• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

The Fan Language of Splatoon

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I'm getting frustrated by your abuse of slashes, brackets, and braces, so I'm here to make the distinction clear. Again.

/Slashes are for IPA, and IPA only./
[Square Brackets: stop using them for now.]
{Curly braces are for the fancy system with carons.}
| Pipes are for the Hebon-esque simplified version of {this}, without carons. |

RECAP:
/tsuɾo(d)ʒi/ = {ŧuroži} = |tsurozhi|. NOT [tsuɾo(d)ʒi], |ŧuroži|, OR /tsurozhi/!

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Let's get this thing clear:
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
Understand now? Inkling Regular "Serif" is NOT SERIF.
Also, the letter arrangement is a disaster!

Jason Tremble

Inkling
NNID
Wolverine565
Let's get this thing clear:
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
THIS IS SANS-SERIF.
Understand now? Inkling Regular "Serif" is NOT SERIF.
Also, the letter arrangement is a disaster!
Sorry. Didn't really think about what I was naming it. I fixed that now. The new version has been uploaded to the zip file and also to this post. Just delete the previous version and install this one.

As for the letter arrangement, this will take some time to make better. I can probably make an improved version within the next few days.

Attachments

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
One thing I should note, trying to type "bu" is broken and doesn't render the Inkling glyph. There might be more, but I didn't test every glyph.

Jason Tremble

Inkling
NNID
Wolverine565
One thing I should note, trying to type "bu" is broken and doesn't render the Inkling glyph. There might be more, but I didn't test every glyph.
I updated the zip and this post with a fixed version. Just redo step 5 from the PDF included for inklingtable.txt and it should be fixed.

Attachments

PiyozR

Senior Squid
NNID
titanmkiii
I downloaded the new table. Looks identical to me. Personally, I'm not a stickler on letter spacing. As long as they're all there, I'm happy.

I'm going to have IRL stuff going on for the next few days. After that I'm going to type out those detailed lesson plans. Keep an eye on this thread for those.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I have created my own neater font called Sunken Sans, supporting the weights Regular and Bold.

All base glyphs are in ASCII range (i.e. can be typed from most keyboards). Transformation is done by using the symbols { (bracketleft}, | (bar), and } (bracketright), or by accessing them from a character table. If the letter is mirrored (e.g. R Я), then {, |, and } are assigned to horizontal flip, vertical flip, and 180 rotation, respectively. If the letter is rotated (e.g. L Γ), then they are assigned to 90 clockwise, 180, and 90 withershins, respectively.

This font works best on Notepad, GIMP, Inkscape, and other software supporting OpenType ligatures. This font is made backwards-compatible by the duplicates directly accessible from Unicode tables.

Attachments

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
It definitely looks neater, yeah, but honestly I quickly got lost in it all. While I prefer the look of it, it doesn't feel as efficient as the table format.

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
It definitely looks neater, yeah, but honestly I quickly got lost in it all. While I prefer the look of it, it doesn't feel as efficient as the table format.
It does however have a regular-weight version to complement the bold one, something I've been meaning to make but never got around to, so there's that at least.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
You could always use the table in supplement to the {|} method. Or just use the table -- the letter " D{ " can also be typed as " ¡ ", for example.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
You could always use the table in supplement to the {|} method. Or just use the table -- the letter " D{ " can also be typed as " ¡ ", for example.
Yeah, I gathered that much, but I dunno. It feels a bit less like typing out a language with sounds attached to them when I'm just hunting for matching symbols, but that's just me.
And I also noticed the lack of the symbol for [šai] in the character map.

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Neither method feels like a method to type phonetically, honestly. I actually advocate my own method for the reason that every symbol is accessible on a US keyboard, provided the program supports OpenType.

Also, thank you for the report! I am adding {šai} as k|, alongside k} (unassigned) to complete the circle. Expect an updated version in the next few days.

(Also x2, Thanks for switching to Sunken Sans in your signature, MissingNumbers!)

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
Okay, I've done a test run of both weights of Sunken Sans and recorded the results in a little PDF. In summary, I've noticed a few extra issues that I hope you can fix as well:
  • Some of the glyphs don't match up between weights. For example, |ru| and |zai| get swapped around and the |tsa|/|tsu| glyphs show up rotated in Sunken Sans Bold but flipped in Regular.
  • The "copyright" symbol needs a bold version to match the Bold weight. (Speaking of which, I wonder if we can make up a word for "copyright" starting with |gu|. Maybe for another time.)
  • Also, the OpenType ligature system is broken and only seems to work in Notepad, at least on my end. I've listed a quick fix in the PDF to make it work in other programs. Granted, being able to find the glyphs in Character Map is still nice but I'd rather use the intended system for convenience.
Looking forward to the next version of Sunken Sans!

Attachments

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Okay, I've done a test run of both weights of Sunken Sans and recorded the results in a little PDF. In summary, I've noticed a few extra issues that I hope you can fix as well: [...] Looking forward to the next version of Sunken Sans!
Thank you, Joseph, for the thorough check! I've changed the RQD to rlig and liga in FontForge, but I'm not sure if it would work or not. The n{ problem was resolved a while ago. I could fix the Latin Supplements dump, but it's only a temporary backwards-compatibility solution, so I decided to wait a bit till I standardize that section.

Something I've noticed in the Inkling Language Guide is that I'm not sure if O is supposed to be the shape intended for |zhe|. The shape differs between the syllabary list and the word list.

After the update, a new problem appeared. The { method no longer works for me in Inkscape, but only the Bold weight. Could you figure out what's wrong?

Attachments

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Already, I've noticed some inconsistencies in the new Headline font. Here's the exact same message in both Regular and Headline, as just a small example:
inconsistency.png

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
Already, I've noticed some inconsistencies in the new Headline font. Here's the exact same message in both Regular and Headline:
View attachment 1418
That's because you're using the Latin Supplements dump. That's a glyph dump, so anything after Ö got shifted 2 letters over in Headline. Using the OpenType features should fix that (if the OpenType features work at all).

EDIT: That particular string should be attainable by typing V{z}v{XXl{yk}.

Last edited:

theFIZZYnator

Inkling
I've compiled a dictionary of the Inkling language so far, on Google Drive. [Click here]

While compiling it, I noticed some undesirable homophones:
{zoi} = "he, she, it" / "if"
{žama} = "hindrance, nuisance" / "to go"
{i} = "I" / "(int. expressing fright)"
{no} = "to" = "[inf] no"
{wa} = "and" / "(int. expressing surprise)"

I'd also like to suggest:

{?} "senior neutral honorific"
{?} "junior neutral honorific"
{?} "kraken"
{oižipe} "?" (That's the text on the standard cap that looks like a squid. It should be some kind of slogan-ish adjective or noun.)
{nedana} "price" < Japanese 値段 nedan "price"
{suraže} "gold, currency, dollar"

Last edited:

Joseph Staleknight

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
JStaleknight
Switch Friend Code
SW-1169-3473-1031
After the update, a new problem appeared. The { method no longer works for me in Inkscape, but only the Bold weight. Could you figure out what's wrong?
I have no idea, unfortunately. Also, I noticed that the ligatures don't seem to work in several other programs I tested it out on (like OpenOffice, Photoshop, Illustrator). No idea how to resolve those issues but I thought I'd bring it up for discussion.

I'd also like to suggest:

{?} "senior neutral honorific"
{?} "junior neutral honorific"
{?} "kraken"
{oižipe} "?" (That's the text on the standard cap that looks like a squid. It should be some kind of slogan-ish adjective or noun.)
{nedana} "price" < Japanese 値段 nedan "price"
{suraže} "gold, currency, dollar"
Maybe for "kraken" we can have |zetsadiu| (lit. "super squid"). Additionally, we can re-purpose the pronoun |enapa| for addressing seniors of neutral or mixed genders and use |suenapa| or |supa| for juniors. As for |oizhipe|, I think it's simply the in-universe name that the brand Takoroka goes by.

EclipseMT

Full Squid
NNID
EclipseMT
While compiling it, I noticed some undesirable homophones:
{zoi} = "he, she, it" / "if"
{žama} = "hindrance, nuisance" / "to go"
{i} = "I" / "(int. expressing fright)"
{no} = "to" = "[inf] no"
{wa} = "and" / "(int. expressing surprise)"
In terms of the homophones:

|reba| (「すれば」 derivative) can be "if" if that isn't taken yet. If not, |ba| can be "if."
|jama| is still "hinderance"/"nuisance." |Ja| by itself is "to go."
As for |i| and |no|, vowel length matters. I am not sure what the rest of you are saying, but if you stress out the vowel length, then it is, more or less, clear that it is an interjection rather than a word. The same phenomenon happens in Japanese with の and ノー. The former is a particle generally used to indicate possession. The latter is the interjection, like when people in movies shout "NO!!!!" out loud. The same with イーーー, although I cannot assign a meaning to "i" by itself like "no."
This is why I made earlier proposals that the so-called other script is a Katakana equivalent.

Now for proposed words (I have not done this in a while).
|kora| = oi!/hey!
|zizaipeju| = Rainmaker (lit. "The Last Weapon", unless we are to create a word for "rain" and put the word for "to create" at the end, with "pai", the particle to indicate the object that performs an action)
|gachishipawe| = "League Battle" (lit. Serious Battle). Alternatively, |gigai| can be in place for |gachi| (applies for all cases below). Contraction |gachi| or |gishi|, depending on which happens.
|mamai| = Any area with definite borders. So effectively |gachimamai| is Splat Zones.
|jamepai| = Tower. Guess what else happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom