The significance of tier lists and there overall presence in competitive splatoon

Mr.HawK

The Artist
People are har at work in the Splatoon community trying to find the best strategies for weapons, maps, and team compositions in general. Now remember this IS a competitive game with a massive selection of weapons, so there should be a tier list right? well, some would obviously agree because tiers give people a good look at what the meta currently looks like and how it's currently being run. However, what truly makes any of these weapons great? Is it TTK? Range? Power? Mobility? Is it possible that there really is no defined tier list for this game at all? that is absolutely possible.

Right now i would like to give some pointers as to why tier lists for competitive splatoon are actually not that necessary.

Please note that YOU as the community can do whatever the hell you want to do, im just giving my two cents on the situation.

GEAR

Gear can change the properties of your character AND your weapon regardless of whether or not it caps at a certain level. it's true that there are some weapons that aren't affected by perks such as damage, but remember that each weapon has subs that are affected by special perks and these types of sub weapons CANNOT be ignored when it comes to weapons because you will use them and they will have an affect on how you/ anyone will use your weapon. the same thing goes for specials as well. So the point of this is simple if the gear you wear changes the properties of you AND the weapon set you have then where should that weapon go on a tier list? it's completely possible for the status of a weapon in the competitive scene to be altered due to a small factor like that, I mean look at the E liter, damage ups and away you go. hopefully you have a full grasp what i'm saying.

MAPS
This should be a no-brainer. Yes, maps do have an affect on how a weapon is used because the strategy changes almost all the time depending on what you use. for example, if you use 96 gals on port mackerel you will have a slight advantage because of the range and the small corridors. the same can go for any long range weapon because you have decent spacing between you and them (your opponents) other examples are like E liters on bluefin/moray, dynamos on walleye/flounder, etc. But just remember that the way you play also impacts the usage of these weapons as well so these weapons being as good as they are on these maps doesnt mean that much in the long run. The way weapons work on some maps is actually one of the reasons why we have map counter picks. and also for fairness reasons.

MODES
How Ironic is it that the weapon you've mastered in turf war means absolutely nothing to ranked modes? OR DOES IT?? Ok so again this is very simple as well. there are certain modes that can actually make using other weapons like ink brush or even a rapid blaster incredibly useful. Believe it or not almost every weapon is competitively viable in any mode, that is if you are good with it and at least know what you are doing. i wont go into too much detail about which weapons work the best in tower control, rainmaker, splatzones, or turf war because that would ruin the learning experience AND not to mention that it would be based on my opinion and not actual data to back up my claims.

I want to leave this off by saying that you can go ahead and make tier lists, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Just understand that people have their preferences and mains and will try to put down any type of tier list if there favorite weapon isn't featured at the top. Tier lists are opinion based. Some are accurate, some are not. The reason i made this post in the first place is because YOU as the player can literally defy the meta regardless of how many people say tentatek is the greatest weapon in the game. people like that aren't going to help this scene grow and all thats going to happen is band wagon city. Don't believe me? check out some of the Ink or Sink matches and tell me you dont see a large amount of tentateks and 96 gals. But hey that's not a bad thing!

Just remember this game doesn't NEED a tier list. it just needs players to keep changing the way we play this game competitively so that the challenges keep coming and they dont STOP coming.

TL;DR PLAY THE DAMN GAME

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
And won(')t

Jkjk, just continuing the trend for lols

While I agree that there cannot be an overall tier list for all of the weapons, there could be smaller tiers lists for the best shooters, best weapons on a certain map, etc. generally speaking. I believe several tier lists like these can be more useful and far more accurate than one for all of the weapons in their entirety.

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
Skimmed. I mean, when it comes down to it, it's the player's choice on what they want/what fits their playstyle. Don't let the community rule what you play. Be unique. That's what this game's about. Be unique in how you play/what gear you choose/what weapon you play/what gametype you want. It's your choice.

Mr.HawK

The Artist
Skimmed. I mean, when it comes down to it, it's the player's choice on what they want/what fits their playstyle. Don't let the community rule what you play. Be unique. That's what this game's about. Be unique in how you play/what gear you choose/what weapon you play/what gametype you want. It's your choice.
Couldnt agree more.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
people actually got baited by the tier list cutefish made

Phobos

Inkling Commander
Good stuff - I've been surprised by the tendency for discussions of weapon tiers to overlook the way that gear can alter the options that individual weapon loadouts afford.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Tier lists are another relic of Smash. A game that was so unsuited for competitive play a tier list was needed so people wouldn't put themselves in literally unwinnable positions. Splatoon doesn't need a tier list at all in my opinion honestly. There are different weapons and gear for different situations. It's not a 1v1 face off every time like Smash wherein characters can be looked within the confides of a very small selection of scenarios and judged from that.

Applying tier lists to Splatoon is going to limit the meta if anything as less experienced players buy into this stuff and are reluctant to try new things. You see this kind of thing in a lot of comp games, I remember Dota2 often had cycles of really predictable strategies and play-styles that were the result of popular youtube gamers etc. demonstrating a really simple and narrow minded strategies that less experienced players would try to replicate and have stunted development as a result of not learning and simply repeating. If anything tier lists are going to directly reduce the score of the top set as everyone floods to use it and intelligent players just counter it ez pz.

Quite honestly and no offense to anyone who makes tier lists, we, you, basically nobody has the tools to assemble a proper tier list that uses hard numbers and a decent enough level of experience at this point as far as I can see. If we're doing these based on the comp environment we need proper statistics and tools which we don't really have. I've always hated tier lists if you couldn't tell.

tl;dr SMASH IS AWFUL, STOP, PLEASE.

GameGalaxy64

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlareFusion
Tier lists are another relic of Smash. A game that was so unsuited for competitive play a tier list was needed so people wouldn't put themselves in literally unwinnable positions. Splatoon doesn't need a tier list at all in my opinion honestly. There are different weapons and gear for different situations. It's not a 1v1 face off every time like Smash wherein characters can be looked within the confides of a very small selection of scenarios and judged from that.

Applying tier lists to Splatoon is going to limit the meta if anything as less experienced players buy into this stuff and are reluctant to try new things. You see this kind of thing in a lot of comp games, I remember Dota2 often had cycles of really predictable strategies and play-styles that were the result of popular youtube gamers etc. demonstrating a really simple and narrow minded strategies that less experienced players would try to replicate and have stunted development as a result of not learning and simply repeating. If anything tier lists are going to directly reduce the score of the top set as everyone floods to use it and intelligent players just counter it ez pz.

Quite honestly and no offense to anyone who makes tier lists, we, you, basically nobody has the tools to assemble a proper tier list that uses hard numbers and a decent enough level of experience at this point as far as I can see. If we're doing these based on the comp environment we need proper statistics and tools which we don't really have. I've always hated tier lists if you couldn't tell.

tl;dr SMASH IS AWFUL, STOP, PLEASE.
Are you saying Smash is horrible in the sense that it is holding back the potential of Splatoon or that Smash just just a downright horrible game?

Nintendome

Inkredible YouTuber
NNID
LogicallyHank
Why are we talking about Smash being 'horrible'? It's irrelevant.

Anyway, a Splatoon weapon tier list is rather asinine. No one should be comparing the E-Liter 3K Scope to the Tentatek Splattershot because they fill completely different niches for a team; no one will ever reasonably choose between these two weapons in a squad that is looking for balanced team composition. We should examine the role each weapon fulfills for a team and compare weapons that have similar niches. Measure the effectiveness of someone pushing with the Tentatek to the effectiveness of someone pushing with a Aerospray. Another alternative is comparing the effectiveness of various team compositions. i.e. Tentatek Tentatek Carbon E-Liter vs. Tentatek Kelp E-Liter .96 Deco

If you choose to do something like this, and I have a feeling you will, definitely keep the considerations you listed above in mind.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
Are you saying Smash is horrible in the sense that it is holding back the potential of Splatoon or that Smash just just a downright horrible game?
I'm kidding, it really doesn't matter, but the fact that you're more focused on the tiny excerpt where I mention Smash is pretty funny given the context.

Last edited:

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
If we do make tier lists, we'd have to make one for each map/mode, because of how ridiculously it all varies.

In other words: I agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom