Theory about "Ranked Battle" modes

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
After some comments from Nintendo about unlocking the Ranked Battles mode after release, and their concern with empty lobbies I have a theory about how Nintendo will handle a variety of modes in Splatoon.

First we know that there are more modes available other than Turf War and Splat Zones, but having multiple modes available might create a situation where some modes are ignored and players can't find a full match with all 8 players (as we know the game doesn't have bots to fill matches either).

So what I believe is that Ranked Battles will actually have a mode-rotation. Basically Turf War will always be available, but other game modes as Splat Zones will be available on rotation as Ranked Battles. It would work like this: this week it will be Splat Zones, on the next, it will be another new mode, and so on until it gets back to Splat Zones (always in the same order or randomly, as long as all the modes appear frequently).

They could even update and add new modes to the rotation, and if the game is actually very successful they might add more modes going on at the same time, but I feel that at the start they will take this approach with the multiple modes, making only one available at a certain time, so the player base doesn't get split too much.

I also think this approach could be beneficial in exposing game modes with time, and extending the active life of the game, even though it is also limiting access to all the features. What do you guys think, will Nintendo follow this rotation method or will they just activate modes for everyone to join? If you believe they'll activate all modes, do you think it will happen at the same time as Splat Zones or will they make each available in a different time frame?

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
I think it more likely that each time you play a ranked battle, you'll get a random game mode. That way people can't artificially inflate their ranking by only playing modes they're good at while ignoring modes they may be terrible at.

Kat

Wet, Warm & Sticky
NNID
FunkyFlump
It's an interesting theory. Cycling/Rotating playlists is something a lot of modern shooters make use of, Destiny's Crucible makes heavy use of this, much to the dismay of some of it's players however. Some playlists are fixed too, TDM, DOM etc. I'd definitely like to see it included as an option but maybe have options for all the modes on their own too, it'd seem odd for them to limit what you can play but a mixed bag mode would be neato! Along with maybe some other seasonal playlists (weapon limitations etc.)

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables
I definitely wouldn't want Ranked Mode to cycle game types though, but it might be good for regular play mode.

Reactions: Lyn

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I definitely wouldn't want Ranked Mode to cycle game types though, but it might be good for regular play mode.
I agree, that takes away from the experience a bit imo. Being forced into a game type you don't play usually and losing rank for it doesn't sound fun.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Here's the thing... why shouldn't ranked force players outside of their comfort zone? It's meant to be challenging. Playing only modes you know you're good at is basically cheating the system. Sure, maybe you're great at one mode... but do you really deserve an A+ rank if you're terrible at every other ranked mode?

It shouldn't even be a predictable cycle that people can avoid. Every game of ranked play should be a random mode, to force players to become better at each of the modes the system covers.

Lyn

Premium
Here's the thing... why shouldn't ranked force players outside of their comfort zone? It's meant to be challenging. Playing only modes you know you're good at is basically cheating the system. Sure, maybe you're great at one mode... but do you really deserve an A+ rank if you're terrible at every other ranked mode?
Well, there's a simple solution.. just have the rankings only count for that gamemode specifically.

Inari

Inkling Cadet
NNID
FlippingTables

It shouldn't even be a predictable cycle that people can avoid. Every game of ranked play should be a random mode, to force players to become better at each of the modes the system covers.
The purpose of the ranking system is to help match players of similar skill levels though. If someone is amazing at one mode but terrible at the other, in a ranked mode that randomly cycles between the two and assigns only one rating, that player's rank won't accurately reflect their placement for either mode. For good matchmaking you would want to have a separate rank for each game type.

Have Ranked Battles have a "Mixed Mode" and a "Select Mode"

I don't want to play for points if it means I have to deal with a mode I generally don't like, I rather play a mode that I do.
Granted playing for points only in a mode you're good at is a cheesy move, but there's no point in me playing a mode that's changes up everything each round.
I rather just play For Fun where I can choose what I want to play.

Yaezakura

Pro Squid
Eh... maybe. But having multiple different rankings seems kind of... I dunno... spreadsheety?

I mean, you're just as inaccurate in rating if you decide to use a weapon you're not as good with for one match to try and get better at it.

Eh... maybe. But having multiple different rankings seems kind of... I dunno... spreadsheety?

I mean, you're just as inaccurate in rating if you decide to use a weapon you're not as good with for one match to try and get better at it.
It depends on how many modes there are, an old shooter I used to play in 2012 had 4 game modes, and a leaderboards menu with ranks for each mode.

No matter what, someone is going to find a way to cheat the system and farm their way to the top. They won't care if they are inaccurate as long as they are on the top.

Lyn

Premium
It depends on how many modes there are, an old shooter I used to play in 2012 had 4 game modes, and a leaderboards menu with ranks for each mode.

No matter what, someone is going to find a way to cheat the system and farm their way to the top. They won't care if they are inaccurate as long as they are on the top.
This is true, those people will always be around. Not that it matters, though. They're just making it less fun for themselves. :(

TheSpeedyMouse

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheSpeedyMouse
I really don't want this. I doubt they will do this though. Also I think there will be multiple Normal Battle modes.

FunkyLobster

Inkling Commander
NNID
FunkyLobster
if that's true i guess it'd be cool that no gamemodes would be left unplayed, but it would be really annoying to have the rules change up every single time. i hope they don't go about it like this, instead giving us a few really good gamemodes that will always leave players wanting to go back to them

Lyn

Premium
if that's true i guess it'd be cool that no gamemodes would be left unplayed, but it would be really annoying to have the rules change up every single time. i hope they don't go about it like this, instead giving us a few really good gamemodes that will always leave players wanting to go back to them
I really doubt it would function like this, it seems very unlikely for a game in 2015. Especially since they'd have to program this all in.

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
I was actually pretty confident that the only ranked game mode is the Splat Zones. At least I dont recall seeing or hearing anyone to tell about other game modes in ranked orientation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom