• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tournament Ruleset Proposal

Vyvuto

Inkster Jr.
So, with the big patch coming soon and a hell of a lot of tournies following, I think that we should work to create a basic competitive ruleset. Here's my first draft, it'll probably suck but hopefully it won't be that bad.

---
Matches are Bo7 (first to 4 wins). The longest possible match (barring overtime games) will be 35 minutes, which is pretty reasonable, considering how long most esports matches go.
Before the first game, all teams pick their gear, the people playing in the match (for teams greater than 4 people) and their weapons. Gear and players cannot be changed at any point during the match.
A coin is flipped (or RPS is played, etc) before the first game.

If the community agrees to play with two or four gamemodes:
The winner of the coin flip can choose to strike gamemodes first or strike maps first. Gamemodes are struck by taking turns striking one gamemode at a time, until one remains.

If the community agrees to play with one or three gamemodes:
The winner of the coin flip will strike maps first. The two teams can agree on who will strike gamemodes first, because it doesn't really matter.

Maps are struck by taking turns striking one map at a time, until one remains. This striking happens after the gamemode striking.

The first game is played

The winner of the first game will be unable to change their weapons. The loser will be able to change weapons.

If the community agrees to play with more than one gamemode:
The loser of the game can counterpick a gamemode.

The winner of the game will then ban two stages, which cannot be counterpicked by the loser for that game. The loser then counterpicks a stage, and the next game is played.

This process is repeated until the match is won by one team.

---

I hope that you like this ruleset proposal. There's probably a lot of stuff wrong with this, and I'd really like to know your opinions on this.

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
I think Bo7 is a bit too long for tournaments. we should either stick bo3 or bo5 for both tournaments and league matches (If that ever becomes a thing).

This is where the confusion begins, because things can get crazy if RNG determines what maps are picked.

Egregore

Splash Wall of China
NNID
NoGoodEndings
I think the SCL came up with a ruleset already.

Hey everybody, sorry it's been so long without any updates. We've been hard at work getting everything prepared, and now we're ready to give you guys an update:

The system will be called the Splatoon Community League, or SCL for short, and will be launching on Thursday, August 6th, the day after the update.

We have also come up with a ruleset, which we will like your feedback on. This ruleset is flexible and may be changed over time. Of course, once the community comes up with a standardized ruleset, we will adopt that.

Each set is played as a best of 3.

Game one:
Mode is chosen through striking. Team 1 strikes one mode, team 2 strikes another, the third is what is played. The mode list for this is SZ, TC, and TW, but TW will be replaced by RM once that is released.
Map is chosen through 1-2-1 striking. The team who struck the mode second strikes first for maps (team 2 strikes one, team 1 strikes two, team 2 strikes one, the one that is left is chosen). The maps available for this are WW, UU, SR, BS, AM.
The teams play on the chosen Mode and Map.

Game two:
Loser of Game one chooses the mode. There are no bans. All game modes are able to be chosen.
Winner of Game one bans two maps, and Loser of Game one chooses from the rest of the maps. All maps are able to be chosen.
The teams play on the chosen Mode and Map

Game three (If necessary):
Loser of Game two chooses the mode. There are no bans. All game modes are able to be chosen.
Winner of Game two bans two maps, and Loser of Game two chooses from the rest of the maps. All maps are able to be chosen.
The teams play on the chosen Mode and Map
http://squidboards.com/threads/squidboards-ranking-system-proposal.2633/

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
It's a team game, I don't think sets need to be limited to 3. They're around 3-4 minutes each, just 3 if Turf Wars is the mode (the mode that doesn't focus the teams on a singular restricted goal, but rather allows for all learned tactics/strats to be employed, ala MOBAs or strat games).

Also, the ruleset linked by the above poster is barely a ruleset. This user put in as much work as they did, and both hold the same amount of weight validity-wise.

Moy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
moymemoy
It's a team game, I don't think sets need to be limited to 3. They're around 3-4 minutes each, just 3 if Turf Wars is the mode (the mode that doesn't focus the teams on a singular restricted goal, but rather allows for all learned tactics/strats to be employed, ala MOBAs or strat games).

Also, the ruleset linked by the above poster is barely a ruleset. This user put in as much work as they did, and both hold the same amount of weight validity-wise.
can you stop comparing MOBA games to a ****ing FPS?

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
can you stop comparing MOBA games to a ****ing FPS?
Being able to see the constant threads that connect all competitive sports/games/activities is important to some people and unimportant to others.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Hey there, keep in mind that the ruleset quoted above for SCL is not really meant to be an example to the community of what future rulesets should be like. We just needed a ruleset ready for when we launch and once the community comes up with a standard ruleset we will be adopting that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom