• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Tri-Slosher Nouveau: Analysis and Thoughts

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Last of the light-hitting variations of weapons to be released, here is the Tri-Slosher Nouveau! The Tri-Slosher Nouveau is a, literally, new variation of the normal Tri-Slosher with a decorated appearance and an entirely fresh loadout-indeed, we have not yet seen this combination of sub and special until today. The weapon takes full advantage of the "hunter" niche, with the Echolocator to find opponents and the Seeker to track them down. The weapon is a more defensive take than the extremely pushy original Tri-Slosher and would be excellent for those who specialize in finding those sneaky invaders and flankers.

Shop Description: The Tri-Slosher Nouveau features snazzy decorations selected by the manufacturers themselves. Combined with the Seeker sub weapon, this set's ability to apply pressure is its strongest selling point! Activate the Echolocator to support your team, and push the enemy back into their base!

Shop Cost: 9,900

Sub Weapon: Seekers

Special Weapon: Echolocator

So, those things said and done, please leave your thoughts on the Tri-Slosher Nouveau.

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Props to anyone who chooses to main this weapon!

That aside it is definitely not for me. Seekers can give you a path to try and get closer or farther away to an enemy, and can sometimes get you the kill. Echolocator while a very powerful special, doesn't feel right at all on this weapon. Mainly because the roles your teammates are playing as will most likely be able to incorporate echolocator, like an eliter, dynamo, dual squelcher etc.

I just find echolocator wasted on it. Or at least to say, I think inkzooka or killer wail would have been a better choice.

However there is something I can see this weapon doing and that is taking up the role as the carrier in rainmaker. You could charge up your special, echolocate the enemy, throw a seeker for a path, and then grab the rainmaker yourself. But there are many variables in this situation ofc.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
I've yet to get on and give this thing a try (STAR WARS IS TAKING CONTROL MY LIFE), but I just don't think I'll enjoy it. Echolocator is my absolute favorite special, and nine times out of ten I'll main a weapon I enjoy almost exclusively because of it having Echolocator. This however, I don't see myself enjoying. I like most sloshers, especially the Vanilla and Sloshing Machine. . . But this one is just. . . Atrocious, on paper at least. Seekers are just. . . sadly, not very good. I want them to be, but they just aren't. And a Slosher especially one with as little range as this one, just wants bombs, suction, Splat, burst doesn't matter, seeker just does not put the pressure on like Bombs do. I feel if this weapon had a better sub, it'd be somewhat decent. I'm not sure it'd be worth picking over the vanilla Tri Slosher, but it'd at least be able to hold its own. I mean, most times you can take a sub + special combination and add it on a weapon and it can work. . . Seeker + Echo I couldn't see being good on any weapons honestly.

Sad to see Echolocator go to waste on this weapon.

SplatoonisBagels

Inkster Jr.
NNID
joje02
As the others said, an Echolocator on an offensive weapon with short range seems wasted. The seekers can be easily avoidable and even though I really enjoy using the Tri-Slosher as it has speedy kills and awesome mobility, it seems like a suicide mission to hunt down others with Echolocator and the seekers is near to useless apart from making a speedy start with the ink trail. The original Tri-Slosher is way more "viable" than this one in my opinion, as the Disruptors and the Bubbler pair well with almost any run down short ranged weapon. While others could still possibly make it work with a very offensive approach with the Echolocator and seeker run downs, I just don't think it is cut out for me.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
So, I tried the weapon out tonight, and just as a forewarning, it's very hard. That said, if one can pass the high learning curve on this thing and find the playstyle for this weapon, it will be an extremely effective assassination tool. Ink Savers and Ink Refil Up are EXTREMELY recommended, especially Ink Saver Sub, since Seekers consume a ridiculous amount without any stacked. Seekers have many different uses and I think make for a good ranged option on this short-ranged main weapon, but you have to be prepared with a massive amount of ink. However, if you're having trouble traveling around or hitting people on point with the Tri-Slosher, then a Seeker can help secure the kill. Echolocator is great as always, it prevented flankers from sneaking up on me, it let me mark my shots, and it made sure I could follow this weapon's job of hunting enemies down. A weapon with a very unique playstyle and place on the team, this will be a difficult set to master, but do not count this out, because I saw it done tonight. While in Ranked Battles, I had some matches where I got into a Tri-Slosher Nouveau ditto 1v1 with this Japanese guy, who had seemingly learned this weapon quickly and was, indubitably, the superior TSN player. I have several recommendations of abilities for this weapon as well, and they are:

Stackable:

:ability_inksavermain:
:ability_inksaversub:
:ability_inkrecovery:
:ability_specialsaver:
:ability_swimspeed:

Main-Exclusive:

:ability_bombsniffer:
:ability_ninjasquid:
:ability_inkresistance:
:ability_haunt:
:ability_recon:

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
As the others said, an Echolocator on an offensive weapon with short range seems wasted. The seekers can be easily avoidable and even though I really enjoy using the Tri-Slosher as it has speedy kills and awesome mobility, it seems like a suicide mission to hunt down others with Echolocator and the seekers is near to useless apart from making a speedy start with the ink trail. The original Tri-Slosher is way more "viable" than this one in my opinion, as the Disruptors and the Bubbler pair well with almost any run down short ranged weapon. While others could still possibly make it work with a very offensive approach with the Echolocator and seeker run downs, I just don't think it is cut out for me.
This is a weapon meant for assassination with the short range and fast sloshing time, not offense. Just look at the Sploosh-o-Matic, or the Octobrush. This weapon, when played right, fuctions kind of like that. It won't be easy to transfer to from the normal Tri-Slosher (and funny enough I wonder if the same will happen vice versa for Octobrush users who won't be used to the Nouveau's more offensive loadout) but I know people will learn this thing. It has too much potential to pass up.

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
I tried this out a bit last night before Splatfest started. I did okay with it. This was my basic strategy.
-Wear gear with :ability_ninjasquid: and then spam :ability_swimspeed: on every other piece of gear.
-Use :seeker: to make trails for you to swim through.
-Swim through the :seeker: trails and pop out to kill people nearby.

But I still couldn't find a way to use :echolocator: with this weapon other than to support other squids on my team.

I don't use either Tri Slosher and I don't plan on using either of them, but I like the vanilla one a lot more.

Silxer

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Dan1771
It seems "ok" I guess, I can see it having some use depending on map and gamemode (mostly Rainmaker though since seekers are pretty good for breaking the Rainmaker shield, and Echo is generally just a strong special in any mode), but I feel that the kit doesn't really work to well with the weapon.

The Seekers (although good for movement) don't really help out with it's range issues and are rather easy to avoid for the most part, and even though Echo is probably the best special in the game in my opinion you still have no way to approach the enemy easily since your sub is a bit map dependent in terms of mobility and the main weapon is short ranged.

The vanilla Tri-Slosher's kit works a lot better with the weapon since disruptors make it a lot easier to approaching the enemy or preventing them from escaping for you and your team, and bubbler is to make sure you survive those close range engagements or make a push with your team.

Of Moose & Men

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
MuhFugginMoose
Yea, I wouldn't say it's "garbage" it just has a hard time competing with its vanilla brother. Bubbler on a close range weapon like that is pretty awesome. This Slosher trades that out for Seeker and Echo, making it more of a supportive weapon than offensive. It's most certainly the very last weapon I'd choose in a supportive role, but it can be used by someone more daring than I.

Smashling79

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Linkmaster3000
In all honest facts, I have said before that no weapons shall be called "garbage". Please analyze the pros and cons of said weapon in an educated and well-versed manner, and then credibility will ensue.
It's my opinion dude. Don't let it get to you. I am just one of many people on this board. Just because I think it's garbage doesn't mean others do like Of Moose & Men.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
It's my opinion dude. Don't let it get to you. I am just one of many people on this board. Just because I think it's garbage doesn't mean others do like Of Moose & Men.
Oh no you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, even if it is negative. All I ask is to not merely post an opinion without other factors to support it, and therefore we can continue a learned analysis of this weapon and its playstyle. Thanks! :)

PK21

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
PuffleKirby21
Oh no you are perfectly entitled to your opinion, even if it is negative. All I ask is to not merely post an opinion without other factors to support it, and therefore we can continue a learned analysis of this weapon and its playstyle. Thanks! :)
You say this after calling my opinion on Seeker Rush wrong even though I gave reasons supporting my opinion and you didn't.
okai

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
Seekers have many disadvantages but the biggest imo is the fact on how map dependent they are. There are maps like port mackerel that they can excel at and maps like hammerhead bridge that is nothing but walls and things for them to explode on.

The tri-slosher as the main weapon itself goes is great. Great mobility and great sloshing speed, however it lacks range. Well seekers can help it get in close or escape, albeit there are a lot of factors involved like snipers can snipe you swimming through the trail or someone just avoids the seeker and inks up the trail, so on maps that seekers have very little use on your main weapon is now stuck with only itself to get in close/away. On top of that it gets echolocator which is a powerful special, but doesn't lay down ink, damage opponents, or really do anything other then let you and your teammates flank easier or avoid a flank easier.

This sub/special combo cripples the tri-slosher into heavily relying on the main weapon most of the time. I'm not saying you can't dominate or carry a team while using this weapon, but it requires a ton of skill, predicting what your opponents will/can do, and probably some luck too. The weapon has small niches, and anyone that masters it feel free to brag and squidbag me, but I just see no point in using this weapon. There's better echolocator weapons, there are weapons that even on maps that they can't use their seekers can still function really well with the main weapon and it's special, and on top of that there's the vanilla tri-slosher that has an excellent sub/special combo.

I don't like to hate on weapons, because I feel that all are viable in the right capable hands, but this weapon wins the most unviable weapon award.

This is all my opinion, not trying to upset anyone that likes this weapon or dissuade people from using it.

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
Of all six buckets, this is the one that took me the longest - until today, in fact - to begin to understand. It really wants different gear and a different mindset from the rest of its family; I tried a couple of sets and I had a wonderful time with one.

The previous Ranked rotation was RM, including Mackerel. As SkyBlue suggested (three and a half months ago...), it was a perfect fit. Of all maps, this is one in which I've had the most difficulty working with buckets, partly because of the abundance of tight corners around which Shooters and Blasters are much more capable as short-range offence than buckets. So I ran a set partly anticipating that I'd do little but pick up the Rainmaker and run, primarily :ability_swimspeed:, secondarily :ability_runspeed:; I'd tried :ability_inksaversub: in my Turf War warm-up battles, but it didn't have quite the effect I'd have liked.

Instead, though, I found myself battling very offensively. I'm normally the type to stay farther back and use the extent of my range, although that's never really an option with the Tri-Slosher (Nouveau). For that reason, with Vanilla, I play almost exclusively as a Tower-hogging nuisance in TC (gear totally aimed at maximising the potential of Bubbler pushes). With this variant and in this mode, of course, that wasn't an option, so I played to maximise the usage of the Seekers.

This typically entailed strafing between corridors and tossing one in every few seconds until an opening made itself visible in the enemy ranks; then, swimming right up to them, I either had a great shot at opponents distracted by my team or else created the distraction myself. The important thing was that it meant that my team could take the initiative by planting a mole on their end.

Additionally, I really was surprised at just how frequently Seekers took a foe out. It appears that if things are hectic enough on this map, regardless of skill level, there's little to be done to evade them when one is stuck in ink and/or horizontal corridors are blocked off. My original expectations with carrying the Rainmaker also came to fruition, as I was very likely to be near it when it became convenient to grab, although I didn't fully use the potential of Seekers for that situation (as described above, also by SkyBlue).

I might not be explaining my play too well, as I'm not used to a role quite as aggressive as this, but suffice be it to say that my splat:splatted (?) ratios at the end of games were much more consistent and higher than I'm used to pulling off, not just in this mode but in general. My conclusion from today is that... this weapon merits further investigation, and I'm glad I didn't totally dismiss it. It really harmonises with Rainmaker, though admittedly limited by suitability of maps to the Seeker. I'm gonna see about trying it out in Arowana, Moray, Triggerfish and, if it ever comes up, Piranha.

HypernovaSoul

Semi-Pro Squid
I love the vanilla Tri-Slosher, but honestly the Nouveau's kit feels awkward to me. It seems very focused on enemy tracking and chasing, which is a role short-range, 2HKO weapons can't fill especially well. I can count on one hand how many times I've seen this variant in upper tier Ranked, although those players did seem to hold their own. Generally speaking, I feel most Sloshers are pressure-push-focused, and this kit seems counterintuitive of that. Echolocator is, granted, hugely useful for teammates in most scenarios. But for this particular weapon, Bubbler provides a similar whole-team benefit and gels better with the Tri-Slosher itself in defending pressured advances. That's just my two cents, but feel free to disagree lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom