[Video] A Guide To Squid Beacons (Functionality, Usage, and Countering)

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl

Learn the ins and outs of Squid Beacons.

From my experience, beacons seem to be one of the most ignored pieces of equipment. They barely see any use, and when they are used, it is often incorrect, or the other team fails to respect them.

At this point, I exclusively use the Splat Roller. I believe that the Kraken isn't the Krak-On's main strength. I get great results using beacons. Getting stealth jumps without wasting a gear slot, and shortening respawn times significantly. Finding good spots to leave them easily leads to flanking positions to swing a match in your teams favor. The one big issue I run into, is that almost nobody else on my teams ever makes use of them.

The other issue seems to be the notion that beacons are only viable in ranked, which I find hard to understand. Positioning is going to be key in every mode in Splatoon. I use beacons in turf war just about as much as splat zones, and still manage to plus off them. If you are worried about wasting time not inking, placing a beacon and refilling your tank only takes about a second or two. That time can be mitigated with good placement, recovering your ink while making a short leg of a swim. Take this time over a long swim to a good vantage point. The other worry seems to be that the locations of action are too random in turf war. I find this questionable as well. It is more varied than splat zones, but by no means unpredictable. I've found that it is much safer to push enemy spawn with beacon support also. Since you can jump back to catch stragglers, or retake your position if you get overwhelmed and splatted.

This leads into another issue of mine. Super jumps are really strong when used correctly. Using them in respawn situations is only the most obvious application. Jumping out of sticky situations is another solid use. Biting off more than you can chew doesn't mean that you need to get splatted because of it, it is really easy to jump out of trouble, and best case scenario, your pursuers won't notice that you jumped. The last use of jumping that I utilize is jumping mid life to superior positions. I've only recently started toying with this, but it is highly effective. I often find myself going for high points close to major conflict zones, or along a common enemy run back path. Lingering in these spots isn't always the smartest, but taking the spot by surprise is highly effective, especially since most enemies walk right by beacons tucked in corners. The theory of this strategy is that you can occupy more space than by just patrolling one spot. Some common spots that I take are the side path that leads to the grated perch on Underpass or the high points of Mall.

I also see lots of Inklings jumping to a teammate instead of a beacon, and then getting their landing zone camped. I can understand not wanting to take the risk of jumping, but if you aren't going to run stealth jump or recon, pick the safe option over the unnecessary risk.

Beacons will no doubt be a staple once team matchmaking is available. Now is the perfect time to get a handle on them before things start getting serious,

Thanks for watching/reading.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Beacons aren't bad at all. If used well the movement that your team has can be phenomenal. Another thing to add though: if you use them just be wary of enemy players. You will become somewhat predictable because the opposition knows when squid beacons have been used/destroyed because it appears on their map. Most players probably don't notice it much but at a high level people will pick up on it.

Good guide. :)

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
Beacons aren't bad at all. If used well the movement that your team has can be phenomenal. Another thing to add though: if you use them just be wary of enemy players. You will become somewhat predictable because the opposition knows when squid beacons have been used/destroyed because it appears on their map. Most players probably don't notice it much but at a high level people will pick up on it.

Good guide. :)
That's a good point. I usually try to spam it as soon as landing, but I have been caught a few times in greedier positions for sure.

Also intelligent Inklings will notice if you keep putting them in the same spots. So in tough matches it's a good idea to have lots of spots in mind to use (like 6ish), to keep them on their toes. Even if it is relatively close on the map, switching up the corner or wall can buy you a few seconds.

I guess one other thing I forgot to mention in the video, the beacons are actually kinda loud, so you shouldn't miss them if you are on edge for the blipping sound.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I guess one other thing I forgot to mention in the video, the beacons are actually kinda loud, so you shouldn't miss them if you are on edge for the blipping sound.
There are some weapons that can distract from it, such as a schortcharging E-Liter 3K or a 0.96 Gal.

One thing thst was forgotten to mention about the Squid Beakon by the way, is that unlike the elusive Inkmines, both teams can see each other's Squid Beakons, so if a player is one that frequently looks at the Gamepad, they should be hard to miss (unless maybe someone's activated a Point Sensor or Echolocator and one's more focused on the other team's players themselves).

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
One thing thst was forgotten to mention about the Squid Beakon by the way, is that unlike the elusive Inkmines, both teams can see each other's Squid Beakons, so if a player is one that frequently looks at the Gamepad, they should be hard to miss (unless maybe someone's activated a Point Sensor or Echolocator and one's more focused on the other team's players themselves).
I did, or tried to mention it at least, in the video. I just worded it awkwardly.
But yes, all beacons show up on the gamepad. And they will be coloured appropriately.

I think most people don't look at the gamepad very often, I was certainly guilty of this in the first few weeks.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
I did, or tried to mention it at least, in the video. I just worded it awkwardly.
But yes, all beacons show up on the gamepad. And they will be coloured appropriately.

I think most people don't look at the gamepad very often, I was certainly guilty of this in the first few weeks.
Really? I was guilty of looking at it too much until I got to about Level 8. XD

deepseadiva

Full Squid
Thank you for the guide!

That said I still don't think they're very good. lol

The "stealth" jump isn't very important since once they're found by opponents they are always immediately destroyed.

They also cannot be hidden since the map shows everyone and they're mom where they are.

They also cost SO much ink. You're almost stunned.

I love them since they're tactical and can shave off some time getting around, but I don't see them well paired with weapons. They only seem ok on the E Liter to get back to perches ASAP. They seem very mismatched on the octobrush and krak on roller.

Katastrphik

Full Squid
NNID
allidactyl
Thank you for the guide!

That said I still don't think they're very good. lol

The "stealth" jump isn't very important since once they're found by opponents they are always immediately destroyed.

They also cannot be hidden since the map shows everyone and they're mom where they are.

They also cost SO much ink. You're almost stunned.

I love them since they're tactical and can shave off some time getting around, but I don't see them well paired with weapons. They only seem ok on the E Liter to get back to perches ASAP. They seem very mismatched on the octobrush and krak on roller.
Maybe I'll upload some of my matches with them. They are the main reason I use the Krak-On over the regular roller now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom