Weapon ideas (main, sub and special!)

Ty-Foo

Inkling
NNID
Ty-Foo
Hello!

I don't know if there already is a thread for weapon ideas, so sorry if there is.

------

As you know, we are getting new stuff weekly. Maps and weapons and stuff. What kind of weapon would you like to see in the game?

I would like to have more sub and special weapons. I had an idea of a special weapon that spawns a big ink-whirlpool (wouldn't that be cool?)
Also some kind of sub weapon that could stun a player for a moment would be nice.

Also, a new special weapon that would drop ink bombs in an arc from the sky could work (you could draw like a 4cm long line anywhere in the map and then a plane or something drops the bombs there.)

So, what are YOUR ideas?

PS. English is not my main or secondary language, so it might be a bit (a lot) rusty.

NimbusSpark

Inkster Jr.
NNID
NimbusSpark
A Shooter type of weapon that shoots rapid fire, short range ink lines in the same way as a charger, visually modelled in a similar manner to a tube of paint, but weaponised.
I honestly thought that the N-Zap was going to act like this, but yeah, this would do.

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
Resurrecting this because I thought of something in the Amiibo challenges.

Sub Weapon:
Ink Line: Throws a tether, an ink line appear between where-ever the tether lands and where it was thrown from.

Super Weapon:
Geyser: Creates an ink geyser in players location after a short delay, giving immediate temporary high ground and some good ink coverage.

I mean, both objects already appear in single player so I don't see why making them for multiplayer would be any issue...

RoyLee

Inkling Commander
NNID
InfernoUprising
I dream of a face paced Charger like Splattershot Jr. This is so likely to happen.

(Sarcasm Detected?)

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
I have a couple of ideas some kind of auto turret you can place down which defends an area till it runs out of ink or get destroyed or the inkling who placed it dies.

some kinda of flash grenade, no damage or ink coverage but will blind the player for a short while, giving you time to escape kill or set a trap.

Another idea is a radar scrambler which can do one of the following things (which ever is most balanced) Deactivate the top down map on all enemies game pads for a set duration, deactivates and protects all team mates from any echolater devices for set duration (so if an echolater is used using this would negate it, produces a black spot of a set radius (where special was used) on the enermys top down map which will remain for set duration or shows false player locations to the enemies on the game pad map.

Just a few different ideas

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
I feel like the Sprinkler and Disruptor are the Splatoon equivalents to a Turret and Flash Grenade already; it's not the exact same, so I guess they could be a thing still, but they cover much the same effect just in a different way.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Splatoon lacks a shotgun-type weapon at the moment. High ink consumation per shot (like E-Liter), very slow fire rate, mid range and one-hit-KOs. Kind of like a blaster, but with more range and accuracy.

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
I feel like the Sprinkler and Disruptor are the Splatoon equivalents to a Turret and Flash Grenade already; it's not the exact same, so I guess they could be a thing still, but they cover much the same effect just in a different way.
Yeah i guess your right, i feel like they could function differently enough to be justified thou.

The roller has shotgun like qualities i guess but i would be happy with an actually shotgun "gun" thou too.

What about a special that just gives you and any team mates you touch (like the bubbler) unlimited ink and minor speed an range buffs for a set time, kinda of like an overcharge mode

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
What about a special that just gives you and any team mates you touch (like the bubbler) unlimited ink and minor speed an range buffs for a set time, kinda of like an overcharge mode
That sounds pretty neat, but the person using the special would get those buffs as well, right?

As for me, I have a few thoughts, mostly regarding sub-weapons:
Maybe a sub that's thrown like a Sprinkler, but pulls nearby enemy Inklings toward it for a few seconds, like an ink-magnet or something? It could have enough pull that enemies would be pulled in unless they were moving about 20ish% faster than normal, and it could be useful to gather enemies for easy splatting or just pulling pesky E-Liters off of their vantage points.
And perhaps a Disruptor-type sub that, rather than deal damage or slow movement, emptied roughly 80% of the ink tank of any enemy it hit. It'd cost most of your ink, of course, but it could be a good way to make enemies back off for a second. Maybe that's a bit too strong, though.
Also, maybe a sub that you drop like a Squid Beakon, but instead of acting as a super-jump point, it could shoot at enemies (not very effectively, think .96 Gal fire rate and Splattershot Pro range and spread with guaranteed-4-shot-regardless-of-Defense-Ups power). You could only drop 2 at a time, they would be easily destroyed (about as much HP as Beakons have, maybe a bit less, though they would be destroyed automatically if you got splatted) and each one would cost roughly 85% of your ink tank to drop, but they might be good for covering chokepoints or guarding areas. I don't know if that would be too good or not good at all, but maybe it'd be something.
And also maybe a sub that acted as a high-jump (not superjump high, but significantly higher than your normal jump). I'm thinking of an ink-jetpack that takes a second to charge, then launches you upward with an ink-blast that does Splat Bomb-like damage. It might be good for reaching otherwise-not-easily-reached areas without inking them, or just taking shortcuts (I'm sure there are a few areas that are otherwise inaccessible without a high-jump, either because there's no wall to ink or because the walls can't be inked), or even getting a brief height advantage over incoming foes. And you could use it in midair, preventing many deaths by bottomless pit (if you had, like, 65% of your ink tank).
And perhaps a Burst-Bomb-esque sub that restored about 40% of an ink tank to teammates that it hit. It would cost about as much as a Splat Bomb, but you could use it to refuel your teammates if they're running low (and yes, you could refill yourself, but it wouldn't be cost-effective since it costs so much more than it refills).
And for a special, maybe something like an Inkstrike, but smaller and over faster, except you could fire them repeatedly (and at multiple locations) until your special gauge runs out.
And also, a special where you create an ink-cloud (about 3/4 the size of an Inkstrike) above the battlefield that rains ink down onto the stage, splatting enemies in 5 (pretty quick, about the speed of Inkstrike hits) hits. The cloud would start over your head and you would move it (not that quickly) by dragging it on the gamepad's minimap.
And finally, maybe a special that just restored your entire team's ink tanks, regardless of your proximity to them. Maybe that's a bit too team-support-ish, but I think it could be useful.

redacteddd

Banned (6 points)
Nintendo should release joke weapons on April First that function in awful, awful ways.
For example:

The Locator

Just a splattershot with a satellite dish replacing the muzzle. it shoots bursts radar that locates whoever gets hit by it. You can't see the bursts (radar is infrared) and you don't fire ink either, but you charge up your special just by hitting people. Also your sub and special are point sensor and echolocator. It makes you completely worthless.

On the other hand there's:

The New Gold Dual Hero Custom Classic Neo Tentatek Kelp Forge Krak-on Carbon Dynamo Luna Rapid Range InkSplat OctoAeroBlaster-o-maticshot ChargerBrush Squelcher 3k Gal Scope Pro Deco Noveau MRG 14 '8589 D Jr. Mk II

All of the weapons combined into one weapon.
There's no kill like overkill
Sub: All the subs
Special:All the specials

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
A version of the .52 Gal that insta-kills. Also only I can use it. Seems fair to me. :-)

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
That sounds pretty neat, but the person using the special would get those buffs as well, right?

As for me, I have a few thoughts, mostly regarding sub-weapons:
Maybe a sub that's thrown like a Sprinkler, but pulls nearby enemy Inklings toward it for a few seconds, like an ink-magnet or something? It could have enough pull that enemies would be pulled in unless they were moving about 20ish% faster than normal, and it could be useful to gather enemies for easy splatting or just pulling pesky E-Liters off of their vantage points.
And perhaps a Disruptor-type sub that, rather than deal damage or slow movement, emptied roughly 80% of the ink tank of any enemy it hit. It'd cost most of your ink, of course, but it could be a good way to make enemies back off for a second. Maybe that's a bit too strong, though.
Also, maybe a sub that you drop like a Squid Beakon, but instead of acting as a super-jump point, it could shoot at enemies (not very effectively, think .96 Gal fire rate and Splattershot Pro range and spread with guaranteed-4-shot-regardless-of-Defense-Ups power). You could only drop 2 at a time, they would be easily destroyed (about as much HP as Beakons have, maybe a bit less, though they would be destroyed automatically if you got splatted) and each one would cost roughly 85% of your ink tank to drop, but they might be good for covering chokepoints or guarding areas. I don't know if that would be too good or not good at all, but maybe it'd be something.
And also maybe a sub that acted as a high-jump (not superjump high, but significantly higher than your normal jump). I'm thinking of an ink-jetpack that takes a second to charge, then launches you upward with an ink-blast that does Splat Bomb-like damage. It might be good for reaching otherwise-not-easily-reached areas without inking them, or just taking shortcuts (I'm sure there are a few areas that are otherwise inaccessible without a high-jump, either because there's no wall to ink or because the walls can't be inked), or even getting a brief height advantage over incoming foes. And you could use it in midair, preventing many deaths by bottomless pit (if you had, like, 65% of your ink tank).
And perhaps a Burst-Bomb-esque sub that restored about 40% of an ink tank to teammates that it hit. It would cost about as much as a Splat Bomb, but you could use it to refuel your teammates if they're running low (and yes, you could refill yourself, but it wouldn't be cost-effective since it costs so much more than it refills).
And for a special, maybe something like an Inkstrike, but smaller and over faster, except you could fire them repeatedly (and at multiple locations) until your special gauge runs out.
And also, a special where you create an ink-cloud (about 3/4 the size of an Inkstrike) above the battlefield that rains ink down onto the stage, splatting enemies in 5 (pretty quick, about the speed of Inkstrike hits) hits. The cloud would start over your head and you would move it (not that quickly) by dragging it on the gamepad's minimap.
And finally, maybe a special that just restored your entire team's ink tanks, regardless of your proximity to them. Maybe that's a bit too team-support-ish, but I think it could be useful.

Yes it would Buff you too!

Some pretty neat ideas in here... i like the magnet idea and also the filling all teams tanks.... it would be hard to judge when to use that most efficiently for your team thou, unless you have a team speak an use it right at the end of a turf war that would be pretty neat.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yes it would Buff you too!

Some pretty neat ideas in here... i like the magnet idea and also the filling all teams tanks.... it would be hard to judge when to use that most efficiently for your team thou, unless you have a team speak an use it right at the end of a turf war that would be pretty neat.
Well then that's a great idea!

Yeah, I forgot voice-chat didn't exist in Splatoon until I was proofreading my post, but it still seems kinda useful-ish since when don't you want a full ink tank?

And I just had a semi-decent thought:
For a weapon, something like the L3 Nozzlenose, but it fires 5 shots in a fan spread, and fires them all at once, like a shotgun. It would have roughly the range of a Splattershot, and be a 3-shot splat regardless of Defense Ups, and you could fire it about 15 times before you ran out of ink. For its sub, it would have Splat Bombs, for mid-range offense and its special would be Splat Bomb Rush, because I think it would be kinda useful for this weapon to get a Bomb Rush. For the alt version, its sub would be Seekers, for long-range offense and getting around quickly, and its special would be Bubbler, since it's probably decently useful for a shotgun to get invincible every once in a while. Call it the L5 Showerhead (Neo) and it's good to go.

And now, a pair of stupid ideas that shouldn't be taken seriously:
The Inkzooka. Not as a special, as your primary weapon. It would shoot like the Inkzooka does, and be every bit as powerful, but it would eat 80% of your ink with each shot (Ink Saver Main is pretty much required to get anywhere with this one). Its sub would be Splash Wall, to hide behind while you recharge after you fire, and its special would be Inkzooka Killer Wail, for splatting foes behind cover. For the alt version, it would have Burst Bombs, for attacking without nearly emptying your ink tank, and Inkzooka Bubbler, because invincible Inkzooka is scary.
The Kraken. Not as a special, you're a squid forever. It would give you 1.5 times as much HP as a normal Inkling, but it could still be pushed back by enemy shots (and you're a Kraken, so no ranged attack). Run Speed Up does nothing for you, but Swim Speed Up is very useful. For a sub, it would have Squid Beakons, to call over allies with guns, and its special would be Echolocator, to more easily ambush foes (since your only form of offense is swimming up and drill-jumping them, this seems important). For the alt version, its sub would be Ink Mines, to leave around while you Kraken at people, and its special would be Bubbler, so for a few moments you can be the invincisquid you thought you would be when you picked the Kraken.

NWPlayer123

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
NWPlayer1234
The Inkzooka. Not as a special, as your primary weapon. It would shoot like the Inkzooka does, and be every bit as powerful, but it would eat 80% of your ink with each shot (Ink Saver Main is pretty much required to get anywhere with this one). Its sub would be Splash Wall, to hide behind while you recharge after you fire, and its special would be Inkzooka Killer Wail, for splatting foes behind cover. For the alt version, it would have Burst Bombs, for attacking without nearly emptying your ink tank, and Inkzooka Bubbler, because invincible Inkzooka is scary.
That's literally what Rainmaker is, it's even in the description of it. "The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!". It's classified as a Special weapon too.
I like the spreadshot idea, it's kinda like my Plasma gun toned down :p

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
The Showerhead is cool, but I'd kinda like the alt with a Disruptor so it had something against Brushes, and possibly mitigate an E-liter's Burst Bombs; not that Seeker would be bad, just preference. I would very much consider switching to it if those two options were there, especially as both options sound like they'd be really useful.

Gnoodles

Inkling
NNID
Gnoodles
I'd like to see a spray paint can kind of main weapon. It could be the inkling flame-thrower type weapon. Constant spray and mid-range but depletes ink very quickly and does less damage the further away your victim is.

And with all the graffiti and tag stickers (not to mention hand drawn miiverse posts) all over the walls, it would fit right in with the feel of the environment. Of course it would need to be balanced properly but I do like the idea.

Glen W

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DeadbirdBlack
On a similar thread i found a while ago.. (lost it now) i came up with a paint (ink) Bucket you pour as you walk so lays down like a roller but the difference is the more empty the bucket (you tank) the quicker you move an also thinner the ink line, and like the rollers have a fling attack the bucket will just throw all remaining ink forward more ink left bigger/more ink thrown with a full tank being pretty devastating catch being you then have to high tale it out of there to re load, as for sub's with this weapon i'm not sure open to suggestions.

I always wish there was some weapon or sub which was made especially for just covering/climbing walls.... open to suggestions all i can think of is some kinda of sponge you can ride an will glide up walls real fast, only problem sponges would normally soak up ink but i guess you can paint with a pre-inked sponge.... maybe you ride the sponge soaking up enemy ink and when its full it explodes with the ink but its been changed into your ink color.... magic sponge i guess, or have the sponge as a riot shield you can push forward with

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
That's literally what Rainmaker is, it's even in the description of it. "The Rainmaker can also shoot ink like an Inkzooka, so you can clear a path!". It's classified as a Special weapon too.
I like the spreadshot idea, it's kinda like my Plasma gun toned down :p
Wait, what? That's... either super-awesome or very, very OP (though I suppose it's necessary, since I'm sure it's quite disadvantageous to grab it).
Though I would've expected it to do Inkstrikes.

The Showerhead is cool, but I'd kinda like the alt with a Disruptor so it had something against Brushes, and possibly mitigate an E-liter's Burst Bombs; not that Seeker would be bad, just preference. I would very much consider switching to it if those two options were there, especially as both options sound like they'd be really useful.
Ah, I had considered giving it Disruptors too, but I couldn't see how it would aid this weapon. Hadn't considered that though, it's definitely a good idea to have something against Inkbrushes for a close-quarters weapon like this. I could see it going on the regular version, if only to have Seeker Rush (and also because I only used Splat Bombs because I couldn't come up with a better sub at first).
And, thanks for the suggestion.

On a similar thread i found a while ago.. (lost it now) i came up with a paint (ink) Bucket you pour as you walk so lays down like a roller but the difference is the more empty the bucket (you tank) the quicker you move an also thinner the ink line, and like the rollers have a fling attack the bucket will just throw all remaining ink forward more ink left bigger/more ink thrown with a full tank being pretty devastating catch being you then have to high tale it out of there to re load, as for sub's with this weapon i'm not sure open to suggestions.
That sounds really interesting, though perhaps tricky to use. As for sub/special loadouts, here are a couple quick thoughts:
Sprinkler/Inkstrike: Sprinkler is there so you can cover areas while running around, or just harass enemies, and also charges up for Inkstrikes, which are useful for covering turf or attacking enemies regardless of their position. A more turf-coverage-oriented loadout, but the frequent Inkstrikes you can get with it (and occasionally flinging with a semi-full bucket) let you attack as well.
Burst Bomb/Inkzooka: Burst Bombs are good for mid-range attacks that don't dry your ink tank immediately, and also for lightening your tank so you can move faster, and can be used to ink walls quickly (at least they do in my experience trying out the E-Liter). Inkzooka is good for attacking enemies above and a longer distance in front of you. A very combat/mobility-themed loadout, with Burst Bombs letting you attack at a distance while also making you move faster if you decide to run away or when the firefight's finished, while Inkzooka is good for attacking at even longer ranges; additionally, both weapons let you attack vertically, something I suspect this kind of weapon might have a bit of trouble with.

[QUOTE="Glen W, post: 59877, member: 5612"I always wish there was some weapon or sub which was made especially for just covering/climbing walls.... open to suggestions all i can think of is some kinda of sponge you can ride an will glide up walls real fast, only problem sponges would normally soak up ink but i guess you can paint with a pre-inked sponge.... maybe you ride the sponge soaking up enemy ink and when its full it explodes with the ink but its been changed into your ink color.... magic sponge i guess, or have the sponge as a riot shield you can push forward with[/QUOTE]
Maybe something like a Seeker that was slower, but could go up walls, and you could ride on top of it instead of just following its trail, like a Squee-G from single-player except it inks areas instead of sucking up ink. It wouldn't deal damage, just pushing enemies around, and it would break down instantly if it touched a non-inkable surface, but it would cost a bit less than a Seeker, so it could be useful for getting around and inking areas.
And this popped into my head while I was reading this, but maybe a weapon like the Spinner from Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess? When you hit the trigger, you could get on it as it spins briefly, flinging ink in a circular area around you (a 1-shot at the spinner, a 3-or-4-shot farther away, with Defense Ups making the farther-away attack splat after more hits), then you could hold the trigger to ride it at roughly-Splat-Roller-speed (though it would make fairly wide turns) as it inked the ground (running into the Spinner would be a 1-shot), and if you steered it into a wall it would climb up as long as you held the trigger; it would climb at a decent speed (about the same as it moves along the ground). It would have really good ink effeciency while moving, but very poor on the spin. Its sub could be Squid Beakons, since it can get around pretty well to place them, and its special could be Echolocator, mostly for the instant-refill but also to spot enemies for your team. Alternatively, it could have Splat Bomb for its sub, to make enemies move from afar, and its special could be Kraken, to escape unwinnable fights quickly and get to a good spot to spin to cover turf quickly. It could work, using its speed and mobility to reach areas faster than most others, then spin to cover turf quickly, while in combat, it could drop in from above while spinning to get multiple splats (its regular attack is like a Killer Sprinkler, or at least that's what I'm picturing), or just move toward enemies to maybe score splats (though the standard anti-Roller tactic of walk backward and shoot it would work here). Its first loadout would be more support-themed, with Squid Beakons to let other teammates reach not-as-easily-reached-quickly areas to assist from there, while the Echolocator is best for giving you an extra ink tank but also lets you perform easier ambushes because you know where everyone is. The second loadout is better for combat, with Splat Bombs to attack at mid-range (and vertically), and it has Kraken to attack at a good speed, but mostly to run away while invincible and reach higher-up areas quickly.

Also, because this post isn't long enough yet (and I just remembered this):
I wish there were a special that just threw a bigger version of your current sub-weapon, like a Giant Burst/Splat/Suction Bomb/Seeker(/Disruptor?). Imagine how worrisome a bigger Suction Bomb waiting at a chokepoint would be, or getting splatted by a huge Burst Bomb you didn't see coming, or seeing a huge boat coming toward you (and you can't just jump it, either, it's too big for that).

° Moteki

¤MÆL°
NNID
Shoctopus
a special that allows you to summon 2 seaweed octolings. they last as long as they are alive. :)

Cheezey Bites

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Koske1
I always wish there was some weapon or sub which was made especially for just covering/climbing walls.... open to suggestions all i can think of is some kinda of sponge you can ride an will glide up walls real fast, only problem sponges would normally soak up ink but i guess you can paint with a pre-inked sponge.... maybe you ride the sponge soaking up enemy ink and when its full it explodes with the ink but its been changed into your ink color.... magic sponge i guess, or have the sponge as a riot shield you can push forward with
Earlier in the thread I suggested an Ink Line tether which you could throw to give you a (fairly unsafe) climbing tool. I couldn't think of a good way to use sponges, though now you've mentioned it they could be good as mobile cover, and helping traversal; though obviously much slower, and reducing in size if it's hit by enemy ink.

Ah, I had considered giving it Disruptors too, but I couldn't see how it would aid this weapon. Hadn't considered that though, it's definitely a good idea to have something against Inkbrushes for a close-quarters weapon like this. I could see it going on the regular version, if only to have Seeker Rush (and also because I only used Splat Bombs because I couldn't come up with a better sub at first).
And, thanks for the suggestion.
That's quite alright, we all have our different play styles so people come up with different ideas. I like short range + bomb rush, especially for zones as you can run ahead and cut off the supply lines while giving you a way to solo capture the zone (bomb rush with 1 range up normally lets you do it from the front lines, 2 range ups are needed on certain maps), but the Splat-O-Matic already covers that (with suction bombs no less), so having a different strategy would help it stand out. Seeker Rush is pretty nice after all.

I'd like to see some sort of rapid fire special, like a chain gun or something... and the turrets from single player seem like something that could work too, but I don't know how well it would play.

As for main weapons I'd like to see an Air-Brush as a flamethrower type weapon, great for bushing forward in Towers but fairly inefficient, not super powerful and can be killed from a distance. Basically a weapon that has great support potential, but looses or trades 1-on-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom