Weapon Tiers in Ranked (all modes)

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
Order in each rank does not matter. Compiled from experience playing in the upper ranks.

S: Dominant, fits in well on most teams, viability largely independent of teammates' skills. Have the best potential to be "the carry". Good at changing momentum. Can fill a variety of roles of the team. (i.e. Dynamo is pivot and support, .96 deco is defense, offense AND support. E-litre 3k support, defense).

A: Very good, requires a bit more effort to carry teammates. Have a little bit of trouble of reversing negative momentum, but not significant.

B: Good, but often outclassed by something else of the upper tiers. Some trouble with reversing negative situations. Mostly high risk high reward weapons with less consistency. i.e. N-Zap 85 has shorter range but higher damage output makes it better than Dual Squelcher in close-up situations, but requires much more skills to be effective in controlling the momentum of the game. These weapons are also highly dependent of teammates performance in order to win games.

C: No notable niche. Not unviable, but requires much more skillful play to keep up with main threats.

S:

• .96 Gal Deco
  • Dynamo Roller
  • Krakon Splat Roller
  • Luna Blaster
  • E-Liter 3k.
A+:

• Heavy Splatling
  • E-Liter 3k Custom
  • Squiffer (all variants)
  • Carbon Roller
  • .96 Gal
  • Custom Blaster
  • Ranged Blaster
  • Octobrush
A:

• Tentatek Splattershot
  • Rapid Blaster Deco
  • Splat Chargers (all variants)
  • Splat Roller
  • Forge Splattershot Pro
  • Dual Squelcher
  • Sploosh-o-matic
  • Gold Dynamo.
  • .52 Gal
  • Splash-o-Matic
B+:

• N-Zap 85
  • Jet Squelcher (all variants)
  • Slosher
  • Rapid Blaster
  • Blaster
  • Ink Brush Noveau
  • Splattershot Pro
  • Custom Dual Squelcher
  • .52 Gal Deco
  • Splattershot Jr.
  • Nozzlenose
B:

• N-Zap 89
  • Ink Brush
  • Splattershot
  • Neo Splash-o-Matic
C+:

• Aerospray MG
C:

• Custom Splattershot Jr.
  • Aerospray RG.

Sub Tier List

S:

• Splash Wall
A:

• Suction Bombs
  • Splat Bombs
  • Burst Bombs
  • Beakons
  • Sprinklers
B:

• Disruptors
  • Point Sensor
  • Seeker
C:

• Ink Mine

Special Tier List

S:

• Kraken
  • Inkzooka
  • Bomb Rush
  • Echolocator
A:

• Killer Wail
  • Bubble
B:

• Inkstrike
Thoughts and discussions? Please share! :)

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
Lol Rapid Blaster in B.

Lol Tentatek not in S (seriosuly its only weakness, its range, is countered by its sub and special).

Lol no Octoshot :3

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
Could we please stop making tier lists that are really just disguised opinion pieces? It seems like every week, some new guy comes forward with his own personal tier list that's just based on personal anecdotes. Combined, all that these myriad "tier lists" show is that currently, there is not very much agreement among various players about what the best and worst weapons are, and that lack of agreement makes all these "tier lists" meaningless.

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
Lol Rapid Blaster in B.

Lol Tentatek not in S (seriosuly its only weakness, its range, is countered by its sub and special).

Lol no Octoshot :3
Rapid Blaster in B because the Deco is better in most ways. I don't think it is the type of weapon that gains much mileage for Bubbler. Bomb Rush is good because of its good offensive pressure, because you are re-inking large amount of turf for your team.

Tentatek is not in S because it's easily played around. It's popular for its ease of use. Suction Bomb is good for traps but it's slow and well-telegraphed when used in the open. In my opinion Splat Bombs are better at area denial and pressure. If you need something with Inkzooka, Forge Pro is more consistent if you optimize your gameplay.

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
Rapid Blaster in B because the Deco is better in most ways. I don't think it is the type of weapon that gains much mileage for Bubbler. Bomb Rush is good because of its good offensive pressure, because you are re-inking large amount of turf for your team.

Tentatek is not in S because it's easily played around. It's popular for its ease of use. Suction Bomb is good for traps but it's slow and well-telegraphed when used in the open. In my opinion Splat Bombs are better at area denial and pressure. If you need something with Inkzooka, Forge Pro is more consistent if you optimize your gameplay.
Splash-O-Maatic does the whole suction bomb rush thing better. Not only can it build up faster because of its FMG status, but also holds up as a weapon on its own.

Tentatek has arguably more well-rounded options that the FSP. Firstly, Suction Bombs are easier to handle in Tower Control and Rainmaker, as opposed to the Point Sensor, which requires you to spend half of your ink tank to possibly highlight someone when sometimes they'll have already evacuated the area knowing you have access.

Also no Seekers in the subs section.
Could we please stop making tier lists that are really just disguised opinion pieces? It seems like every week, some new guy comes forward with his own personal tier list that's just based on personal anecdotes. Combined, all that these myriad "tier lists" show is that currently, there is not very much agreement among various players about what the best and worst weapons are, and that lack of agreement makes all these "tier lists" meaningless.
This.

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
I have only seen one other tier thread that is almost 2 months old. I never stated this as fact, but to facilitate discussion. There is a near universal consensus that the Tentatek, .96 gal deco and Krakon Rollers are the best right now. Tier list also expands the meta by shedding light on effective but little-used weapons (i.e. Octobrush, Rapid Blaster Deco).

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
Splash-O-Maatic does the whole suction bomb rush thing better. Not only can it build up faster because of its FMG status, but also holds up as a weapon on its own.

Tentatek has arguably more well-rounded options that the FSP. Firstly, Suction Bombs are easier to handle in Tower Control and Rainmaker, as opposed to the Point Sensor, which requires you to spend half of your ink tank to possibly highlight someone when sometimes they'll have already evacuated the area knowing you have access.
You should try the Rapid Blaster Deco, it builds meter really quick that I can get them almost back to back (ESPECIALLY with Tenacity). As a weapon it doesn't kill as easily. You'll get 7-9 kills if you're lucky, double digit is hard to come by. It is meant to be an area control/defensive support weapon. It's hard to master but not incredibly hard to be consistent with this weapon either. Killing in 3 hits isn't bad if you are not in direct confrontation or providing cover fire or splatting enemies who are running away. Splash-o-Matic is not arguably better due to its poor range and lack of pressure.

As for Forge Pro vs Tentatek. Point Sensor is used to sniff out danger in choke points and if you throw it in Tower Control it is almost as good as Echolocator due to crowding. Suction Bomb isn't strictly better in that sens. If you zone correctly Forge Pro is very powerful.

Last edited:

StaffofSmashing

Senior Squid
NNID
Lolu83
You should try the Rapid Blaster Deco, it builds meter really quick that I can get them almost back to back (ESPECIALLY with Tenacity). As a weapon it doesn't kill as easily. You'll get 7-9 kills if you're lucky, double digit is hard to come by. It is meant to be an area control/defensive support weapon. It's hard to master but not incredibly hard to be consistent with this weapon either. Killing in 3 hits isn't bad if you are not in direct confrontation or providing cover fire or splatting enemies who are running away. Splash-o-Matic is not arguably better due to its poor range and lack of pressure.

As for Forge Pro vs Tentatek. Point Sensor is used to sniff out danger in choke points and if you throw it in Tower Control it is almost as good as Echolocator due to crowding. Suction Bomb isn't strictly better in that sens. If you zone correctly Forge Pro is very powerful.
I'll come by tommorow. Compare the 2 in the meantime. ;) I'm actually looking forward to trying these weapons TBH.

I understand the use of the Sensors, believe me. I used to main the Custom Blaster. The difference here is the need of abilities neceessary for the Sensors to function. With the Forge, The maximum range on the ground and the distance you can throw a point sensor are almost equal, with the edge of the point sensor going a little further. However, You'll have to be a master of movement and zoning in order to hit them with a point sensor outside of their effective / maximum range. Of course, flanking is always an option, but if I know anything from the Custom Jr, (quick note: This is the spy from TF2 on Highlander in Splatoon. the custom Jr.), is that throwing an object that does not do damage does not mean you win in the confrontation. It just means you have an edge on your opponent.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
http://squidboards.com/threads/my-personal-rule-of-thumb-tier-list.2737/
http://squidboards.com/threads/★-usage-tier-list-★.6327/
http://squidboards.com/threads/★-weapons-tier-list-★-v3-0.6312/
http://squidboards.com/threads/strawpoll-weapon-tier-list.6315/
http://squidboards.com/threads/strawpoll-weapon-tier-list-results.6366/

If that's not enough, have some threads from another site.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/71958882
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72015786
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72016166
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72206233
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805617-splatoon/72333343

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that you're not the first person to come up and say, "Hey guys, I made a tier list. What do you think?" There are many people out there who have done the same thing, and I'm sure there are many more who would like to try their hand at it if no "official" tier list is made. But the thing is, I think this approach is backwards. If you don't collect reliable data (that is, something more than just personal anecdotes) and have structured discussions with people first, then you do not have anything to back up your "tier list." All you really have is an opinion piece, and the thing about opinions is that every person has one.

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but the fact is, all these other attempts at crafting a tier list through feedback in the past have not resulted in a proper consensus. As such, I do not see any reason to believe that trying the same approach over and over again will eventually give a better result. A more structured approach is required if we are ever to create a proper, respected tier list.

Griff

Inkling
NNID
Oilerfan7
I didn't find this list to be too offensive, it seems to have a good sense of what's good and what isn't. Obviously without some sort of aggregate rating system not everyone can be happy with a singular tier list, but there's no harm in making an effort.

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that you're not the first person to come up and say, "Hey guys, I made a tier list. What do you think?" There are many people out there who have done the same thing, and I'm sure there are many more who would like to try their hand at it if no "official" tier list is made. But the thing is, I think this approach is backwards. If you don't collect reliable data (that is, something more than just personal anecdotes) and have structured discussions with people first, then you do not have anything to back up your "tier list." All you really have is an opinion piece, and the thing about opinions is that every person has one.

I am not trying to be mean when I say this, but the fact is, all these other attempts at crafting a tier list through feedback in the past have not resulted in a proper consensus. As such, I do not see any reason to believe that trying the same approach over and over again will eventually give a better result. A more structured approach is required if we are ever to create a proper, respected tier list.
I get what you mean, but this isn't like a fighting game where we can go on frame data, move priority and other statistics to objectively rate characters over others. Every weapon in Splatoon has a situational aspect to it, meaning that certain weapons perform better in certain situations than others. A tier list, should one exist for weapons/subs in Splatoon, should be based on competitive viability, prominence in the meta, and its comparative strengths/weaknesses, preferably in neutral situations. I think that this list does fairly well at that, and, like I said, until we have some sort of aggregate consensus on the subject then I'm happy to see as much input as possible into tier lists and weapon rankings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom