what is your favorite weapon and why?

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
this has probably been done before but i can’t remember a recent one so i thought it’d be a good time to do one now. im also interested in what other people like about their weapon and the stories behind how they got into it. it can also be multiple weapons if you don’t particularly stick to one main. it could even be something you don’t play but just think is a really cool idea as a weapon.

in the beginning of splatoon 3, i played sploosh just like i did in splatoon 2. but i realized this is a new game with new stuff to try out. the splatana stamper stood out as an extremely cool looking weapon, with a one shot and long range combos with itself and burst bomb, and it has zipcaster which is a really cool new special. i haven’t ever played long range weapons before so it was very interesting learning how the weapon worked. stamper was 10% of my weapon usage that season and has been 50-60% every season after that. it’s so fun and the kit makes it even more amazing. it was difficult to get into but the reward for playing good makes it feel very worth it. it also got me into enjoying more long range options like 96 deco, squeezer, glooga dualies, and it also made me more comfortable with trying a lot of other weapons i never would have tried.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I personally found myself loving the Douser Dualies. Suppressive fire, high splatting power in turret mode, and it can't be annoying with falloff shots like so many other weapons can. It's basically a slayer/anchor flex. It also has my favourite special.

Though, there is one weapon I prefer, it just got screwed over by bad kits. The Dread Wringer. It doesn't have quite the same range as the Douser Dualies, but it has AoE and can actually paint. It's extremely satisfying even without a one-shot.

Honorable mentions go to the Goo Tuber, Glooga Dualies, Ballpoint Splatling, and most Brellas.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
I personally found myself loving the Douser Dualies. Suppressive fire, high splatting power in turret mode, and it can't be annoying with falloff shots like so many other weapons can. It's basically a slayer/anchor flex. It also has my favourite special.

Though, there is one weapon I prefer, it just got screwed over by bad kits. The Dread Wringer. It doesn't have quite the same range as the Douser Dualies, but it has AoE and can actually paint. It's extremely satisfying even without a one-shot.

Honorable mentions go to the Goo Tuber, Glooga Dualies, Ballpoint Splatling, and most Brellas.
yeah douser and dread are 2 of the new weapons they added that are really unique. they way they are headed with designing the new weapons has been really exciting (i cant wait for the new sword next season)

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
From the instant I tried the splat brella in Splatoon 2 I KNEW it was the one

It doesn't feel like any other weapon in the game its fighting style is completely unique to itself and I am a sucker for it
It isn't the easiest weapon by a LONG shot but I kind of like its difficulty it makes actually playing well make me feel like the greatest player in history... until I get traded out by somebody else

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I really loved tent ever since it was first announced.
I remember being (relatively) young and watching a video on how tent might be the first defense focused weapon in the series, comparing it to Reinhardt from overwatch (Reinheart?? never played it so no clue), which immediately got my interest. Kind of a weird comparison in retrospect, but I always wanted to defend my teammates with my weapons
I loved splat brella and immediately gave tent a shot, I have no clue if I was even good at it but I remember having fun! It also had a cool new special (bubble blower) which I loved. It didn't exactly protect its teammates... but ink vac does now! So I guess I got my wish years later
I kind of got into tent with the wrong expectations but ended up loving it, probably my favourite weapon in the game (ex aequo with splat brella in my heart), and easily my most played one

isaac4

Inkling Commander
It's pretty obvious which one is my favorite but I'll take any chance to talk more about Machine lol

Started playing around the time Splatoon 3 came out and didn't want to immediately get into online matches until after I finished story mode so I could feel more confident in my ability to move around and fight.
When I did finish though, I ended up really liking Octobrush and would use Zipcaster in Turf to paint the enemy base.
I wanted to try more weapons so I played a lot of other stuff to test them out and get Sheldon licenses to buy even more weapons.
I started to play Anarchy modes and would normally stick to Octobrush but also occasionally play some other weapons and that's how I ended up trying out Sloshing Machine.
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of memories of when I was a C to A rank player but I will always remember that Machine is what I used to get to S rank.
That's also around the time I realized the weapon was meta so it felt nice actually playing something that was good for once which isn't what usually happens for most of the games I play. I didn't know the specifics for why it was good though, besides having range and Fizzy Bomb.
Stuck with the weapon since and now that I'm a lot better at the game than I was last year, I'm able to appreciate Sloshing Machine a lot more for how it plays and the fact that it's one of the few weapons in this game that got a fun and amazing kit. Most kits either mess up the sub or special, and if the kit is good it still might not synergize well depending on the main weapon it's given to. Machine was lucky enough not to end up like that, even if the devs would have preferred it did.

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
Oh BOY I have been waiting for this. Grab a cup of likeable liquid and sit down a lil

Okay so I got into splatoon with splatoon 2 in early 2020 and I was kinda in my idk phase. So I kinda just played whatever I could get my hands on, before trying vroller after the friend that got me into splatoon said I looked like I'd play carbon roller, and the **** was really fun so I continued and started trying out other rollers, including carbon that I really liked as well.
Then, I started playing flingza

And it just clicked. The amount of range and paint that felt right with the time it took for a swing. The sweet, sweet rumble of a vertical flick. The ability to paint your feet fast with an horizontal or defending yourself up close with it, without taking away the ability to stay out of danger and poke from a distance, and when I started learning seriously, how to paint for teammates and making their lives easier. The soft click of the moveable roller part lodging itself back into the tube after an horizontal flick. The striking red of the metal box. The sounds it makes being flicked. The curves of the metal bars, the handle, the red box, the pen nib, the flat metal bit thing, all being so incredibly perfect. The two roller part having stripes that go in different directions. The easily forgotten small streams of ink that go out at the sides when doing a vertical flicks that just mean so, so much to me. Being a jack of all trades, despite not being perfect at any of them, fits me o so perfectly. Not being limited to a single playstyle makes me feel so free, agile and flexible during games. It also looks so large in comparison to inklings, it's so pretty. It is the embodiment of perfection and beauty in my eyes, both in looks and playstyle. I am so, so glad splatoon devs made it cause I do not know where I'd be without it. Just thinking about it makes me smile and all giddy and excited cause I just love it so so much. Through the missiles, mines and screens, I could never give up on it as a splatoon without it is not one I can play with genuine and pure unfiltered joy. I cannot be grateful enough to be in the same timeline as it. It is my everything and dare I say a part of myself. I will never give up on it no matter what, as its beauty is not one that can be replicated by any other weapons in my heart. I continuously work to improve with it to prove anyone criticizing me for playing it wrong.

Lisku

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/him
I like stamper bc when you get good at it, its insanely OP

Catloafman

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
Fella
Oh BOY I have been waiting for this. Grab a cup of likeable liquid and sit down a lil

Okay so I got into splatoon with splatoon 2 in early 2020 and I was kinda in my idk phase. So I kinda just played whatever I could get my hands on, before trying vroller after the friend that got me into splatoon said I looked like I'd play carbon roller, and the **** was really fun so I continued and started trying out other rollers, including carbon that I really liked as well.
Then, I started playing flingza

And it just clicked. The amount of range and paint that felt right with the time it took for a swing. The sweet, sweet rumble of a vertical flick. The ability to paint your feet fast with an horizontal or defending yourself up close with it, without taking away the ability to stay out of danger and poke from a distance, and when I started learning seriously, how to paint for teammates and making their lives easier. The soft click of the moveable roller part lodging itself back into the tube after an horizontal flick. The striking red of the metal box. The sounds it makes being flicked. The curves of the metal bars, the handle, the red box, the pen nib, the flat metal bit thing, all being so incredibly perfect. The two roller part having stripes that go in different directions. The easily forgotten small streams of ink that go out at the sides when doing a vertical flicks that just mean so, so much to me. Being a jack of all trades, despite not being perfect at any of them, fits me o so perfectly. Not being limited to a single playstyle makes me feel so free, agile and flexible during games. It also looks so large in comparison to inklings, it's so pretty. It is the embodiment of perfection and beauty in my eyes, both in looks and playstyle. I am so, so glad splatoon devs made it cause I do not know where I'd be without it. Just thinking about it makes me smile and all giddy and excited cause I just love it so so much. Through the missiles, mines and screens, I could never give up on it as a splatoon without it is not one I can play with genuine and pure unfiltered joy. I cannot be grateful enough to be in the same timeline as it. It is my everything and dare I say a part of myself. I will never give up on it no matter what, as its beauty is not one that can be replicated by any other weapons in my heart. I continuously work to improve with it to prove anyone criticizing me for playing it wrong.
Your signature is so very very real I respect the dedication

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
Since you asked which weapon is my favorite and not what I main, easily s-blast. I can't really explain this objectively (because if it was objective, everyone's favorite would be the same) but having two firing modes, on a blaster of all things, is just so cool. I love how rewarding it is to get one shots, and catching people in the short range mode is very fun. The only thing I dislike about it is that the indirects are super inconsistent, which does make it somewhat frustrating to play at times, but that can't stop it from being my favorite.

DzNutsKong

Inkling Cadet
I would imagine most people reading this have probably seen me mention it being the Splatanas but I guess I haven't really gone into much detail about them huh?

I love that both of them paint well. A weapon not painting well isn't going to stop me from playing it but it makes it a lot easier for me to play it for a longer period of time. It's just not fun when you don't have map control and aren't able to help get it back as quickly as other people.

I love the strengths mid-range weapons have just in general. Playing backlines is cool too but being able to directly challenge people as long as you can see them and aren't unreasonably far away is really cool to me. Lets you take the kinds of positions that I like most.

I love the amount of perfectly viable choices you have with both of them for attacking people. It leaves so much up to the player in a way that other weapons can't really replicate. I know you can like use movement to mix people up with Shooters but you can do that and play to like three different ranges with swords, and bouncing between those ranges is very simple and has a great sense of flow to it. There is a lot of skill expression just in the main weapons alone and that's even if you ignore the specials.

I love how mobile Wiper is, and I love Stamper's kill combo. Playing around strafing and movement speed in fights to make up for a poor kill time is really cool and of course being able to basically one-shot people from far away is always an awesome feeling when you're able to land it.

also they're just like the coolest things in the game hands down

JAB18

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him
My personal goal in splatoon is to be able to play everything decently well, and I had this mindset before I got splatoon 3 last summer. I was looking up videos on youtube and found my current main, which can do everything and then some:

The mini splatling.

Its kit luck hasn't been super good in this game, which is why it isn't used at all in competitive, but it was meta in 2 other games for a reason. I feel like a lot of people know about disrubbler, as that dominated S1 meta, and the vanilla kit in S2 was one of the best kits ever created for this weapon, however the special it got was tenta missiles... and we all know how it goes from there. (the reason missiles are great for mini is that its biggest weaknesses are fast moving weapons that outrange it, like jet squelcher, and missiles gives mini a tool to help effect these weapons). In S3, the kit luck isn't that good, but its speed, painting power, and the fact that it outranges a lot of short range shooters (albeit by a small margin) makes mini an incredibly good main weapon, making for an aggro/supportive hybrid that is a joy to play. It does have its weaknesses, like being really gear dependent (no joke, I run 3 mains of run speed up), and not being a very good weapon at very close range, but I will happily take those weaknesses to be able to play this weapon.

youre_a_squib_now

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Switch Friend Code
SW-8478-8105-6114
It really says a lot about the developers' skill that so many different weapons have really cool and unique things about them that make them able to be someone's favorite.

Mili

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
he/him
Switch Friend Code
SW-6426-7546-0600
So, I mostly played Splatoon 2 with the inkbrush, and honestly is still a weapon I hold dear and can come back at any time, but after trying new weapons in 3, I eventually tried to get good with the Sloshing Machine because I was thinking about washing machine in video games and I thought Machine was really cool, I really liked the kit, the main weapons feels fun, and I was doing good so I that's been my favorite weapon so far.

I have to add though, I started playing Slosher as of recent, a weapon I have tried before but wasn't able to get comfortable with, and I think it's my favorite main weapon too lol, especially since the machine nerf really makes machine feel a lot slower in comparison...
I still think very highly of machine though, at least in how much I like it, I really like how the projectile looks, and getting good with it is fun.

rosylina

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
She/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-8188-5007-1224
Rollers Rollers Rollers I love me some rollers.

In S1, I didn't really dedicate myself to anything too hard, but one weapon I did like a lot was Carbon Deco, because little baby me loooved seeker, so seeker rush was my premium dopamine source. The weapon itself is also just really fun. Of course every roller can one shot, but Carbon's flick is just so fast and satisfying that it makes the one-shot feel all the better. Also because it's fast I get to play ultra aggro. S2 wasn't all that much different for me, although I honed more in on Carbon than I did before because I had a lot of fun with the weapon, but after Octo Expansion I kinda fell off of Splatoon for a little bit, so it's probably better to skip straight to S3 because that's where things get interesting.

In the start of the game, I was still interested in the ultra fast weapons, so I played a lot of Carbon and Inkbrush. I dabbled in the other rollers during the first season, but I was so used to Carbon that they all didn't feel as right to me. After the first few months of the game passed, though, my weapon tastes began to change, and also my hand hurt from playing Inkbrush so much. I started playing the other rollers more often, Splat Roller's kit is really fun and the more generous one-shot and heavier feeling of the flicks started to feel better to me than the rapid speed of Carbon. Going in a little further, I decided to just mess around one day and play Dynamo Roller, a weapon I absolutely did NOT like in S1 because big slow stinky pee yew! And even though S3 Dynamo is nowhere near as good as S1 Dyanmo, something about it just felt sooo right to me. It's flicks are so big and meaty, and even though a lot of the times the damage didn't exactly live up to that expectation, just watching my octoling fling this heavy roller around with such force was mesmorizing in a way. It makes me feel powerful. Low and behold, Dynamo's currently my only 5-star weapon, though I might work on some other ones when I feel like it.

Now for my final cherished roller, Big Swig. The story is honestly kind of like the cliffnotes version of my Dynamo story lol. When it first came out, I absolutely did NOT like Big Swig. It felt like they made a roller good at painting, not just in the amount of paint it put down but not having so so so patchy flicks, and then made it garbage at everything else to compensate. It also doesn't help that it's this game's wall roller and wall is a sub weapon I'm not particularly fond of. But recently, I just decided on a whim to play it again, and it's honestly one of my favorite weapons they've added. I just love how silly it looks, how fast it flicks while putting out a giant hitbox, and the vertical flick has just enough windup to make the OHKO still feel strong, while the range on it lets me be super annoying from far away >:). Also it has a different kit now which helps lol.

I pretty much like every roller, though Carbon and Flingza I don't play as often cause they don't jive with me as well as the others. I still like them conceptually though. In short, roller go brrrrr.

Grushi

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-1492-1491-3432
I really loved tent ever since it was first announced.
I remember being (relatively) young and watching a video on how tent might be the first defense focused weapon in the series, comparing it to Reinhardt from overwatch (Reinheart?? never played it so no clue), which immediately got my interest. Kind of a weird comparison in retrospect, but I always wanted to defend my teammates with my weapons
I loved splat brella and immediately gave tent a shot, I have no clue if I was even good at it but I remember having fun! It also had a cool new special (bubble blower) which I loved. It didn't exactly protect its teammates... but ink vac does now! So I guess I got my wish years later
I kind of got into tent with the wrong expectations but ended up loving it, probably my favourite weapon in the game (ex aequo with splat brella in my heart), and easily my most played one
You know what, I got more to say because I just can't shut up about tent.
I love how extreme this weapon is, it's crazy that it has both a one shot and a giant 700HP shield whose durability just, casually doubles when it's launched. It's honestly so sick, most weapons are usually designed around one extreme strength but this one has two!

It's got solid range, surprisingly good paint and it can reliably two shot if you aim well enough, but it also has so much shot spread that it essentially becomes a light AOE weapon, you can fire in someone's general direction and you'll probably deal some damage at least, and you even have no falloff damage, which means you can poke at people above a ledge and finish off opponents hiding behind cover if you're precise.

I love that a lot of its depth lies in your positioning, you have to be contesting relevant positions or know when to distract the enemies at the right times. It's such a comittal weapon, once you've launched your shield somewhere you're pretty much stuck with that decision for around 7 seconds, so you have to know what you're doing with it.

I love the mind games you can pull off around your shield, with whether you follow it or not, whether you shark with it like a roller, or keep your shield and launch it as far forward as you can, there's a lot of mix ups you can do.

It has extreme weaknesses, but every single one it has can be mitigated if you play around your shield correctly: it's very slow but the shield makes up for your poor mobility by giving you raw survivability, it's very ink hungry but your shield can guarantee that you have a safe trail of ink to recover in no matter where you are, you have a slow fire rate but your one shot means you still can't get rushed down easily, and you can win engagements against faster kill times if you get the drop on them.

I don't know, this weapon just feels broken sometimes, you know what I mean? I think it's well balanced, but it's probably one of the only mains in the game that feel this powerful when you do well with it. You can just control the flow of the entire game when you get good with it and it feels amazing. You get to shark like a roller, stall, poke at people, paint, force space... It feels like you have an option to deal with every situation in the game, and it's so rewarding to learn.

And don't even get me started on how it somehow got TWO perfect kits for it, with distinct playstyles and strengths, I love this weapon, it's so cool, I also love how it looks like a hiking stick, it's so silly but so fitting

QuagSass

Senior Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-4841-6661-0032
Hydra Splatling my love, my beloved, my sweet...

Is actually a weapon that I only fairly recently fell in love with. I used to be an Octobrush enjoyer and nothing more. When S3 came out I onetricked vOcto until I unlocked the Heavy Splatling and thought "hmm, I vaguely remember Zimi being really fun in S1, maybe I'll try Heavy for a bit." which is a wild thought to have in hindsight lol.
Had a lot of fun with Heavy, then I unlocked Hydra and thought "YO THIS IS LIKE HEAVY BUT BETTER" and then I dropped everything to 5 star it.

The poor Octobrush never stood a chance, perhaps one day it'll get out of 4 and a half stars jail

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
i want to talk about what people have said so far but that would be a ridiculously huge message so im just stuck with just liking every message

everything you all been saying is so interesting and fun! it’s so cool that we have not only such good variety but also quality in weapons in the game we can fall in love with.

DChachouke

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
she/her and they/them
Switch Friend Code
SW-6147-2273-1817
Adding onto this, my flingza obsession came with a somewhat serious view of what maining and loving a weapon means. To me, every new weapon means that someone, somewhere, has found their perfect idea of a weapon, the same way I found flingza. No matter how stupid, weird or hard to understand a weapon can be, to someone, it's the embodiment of perfection. A lot of people had been confused with recent new weapons, most notably, I've seen a lot of people question "what purpose does recycled brella serve ? Why is it even here at all" and I've always found those questions ridiculous cause to me, a weapon needs no purpose to exist, it just has to be a new, different concept that at least one person will find appealing in ways other weapons weren't. If just one, one person finds a new weapon to be their perfect fit, then this weapon has every right to exist, even if it seemingly "serves no purpose" at first glance.

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
I discovered Range Blaster through random chance after loving CJR but finding little success with it when crab meta ended. The weapon just feels so dynamic, instantly switching between offence and defense. The sound of directs, the flames on the end of it, everything just feels so polished and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom